The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2017, 04:44 AM   #31
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Buy a Louis Vuitton instead. I've heard they're better.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 08:56 AM   #32
Peepip
"TRF" Member

I’m a girl and I have a jumbo caviar flap with a limited edition bijoux chain so I thought I would put in my 2 cents. I bought it in 2007 and at the time was unaware that would be the only year they would ever produce that particular chain. I guess I got lucky because there are huge fans of that chain even today and they are rare to find used.
I was 19 at the time and I bought it second hand from a reputable seller. I paid just under 3000AUD and I’m guessing it’s worth 5-6K AUD now?? It’s been kept in such good condition because I was too embarrassed to wear it for 10 years for fear people would think it’s fake based on my age (this was mostly spurred from my good friend’s lovely mother who seems to enjoy making snide comments on the regular). Now that I’m older and slightly wiser I really don’t care what people think and I’m wearing it more than ever.

Anyway, back onto the topic, they are expensive because they are classic. You can easily wear it casually or formally. The quality is (or was??) superb, and the history of the company, plus the prestige and reputation the brand holds contribute to how highly sought after these bags are. To be honest, I don’t know that I would buy a Chanel (or lv, or any other luxury bag other than Hermès) today. I keep seeing posts on the purse forum about the fall in quality. This is especially true for Louis Vuitton, which luckily isn’t my taste. The Hermès customers however rarely complain about the lack of quality (I’ve never seen a post about any quality issues). Of course Hermès prices are much higher than Chanel, and it is more difficult to get your hands on one of their popular styles so I guess Chanel is slightly more attainable??
Peepip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 08:59 AM   #33
Peepip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Eek. I have heard so many stories about their lack of quality control and how they won’t stand by their product. One of my biggest concerns is the common complaint that their canvas is thinner than before and more prone to cracking. NOT something I would want to happen after a couple of months of use on a $1000+ bag...
Old 6 December 2017, 10:11 PM   #34
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepip View Post
Eek. I have heard so many stories about their lack of quality control and how they won’t stand by their product. One of my biggest concerns is the common complaint that their canvas is thinner than before and more prone to cracking. NOT something I would want to happen after a couple of months of use on a $1000+ bag...
Just bought my girlfriend a Neverfull for Christmas so I guess we will find out how the quality is. I had a look over the bag and it seems to be excellent work.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 01:48 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I bought my wife an Eva clutch/crossbody and within two years the zipper was separating from the canvas. We sent it to LV and they fixed it for free but managed to use a different color thread for the stitching

Not nearly as bad as the Chloe bag she had. The inside lining completely tore apart from the outside leather in a couple months thankfully neiman took it back full refund.
Old 7 December 2017, 08:07 AM   #36
Peepip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Just bought my girlfriend a Neverfull for Christmas so I guess we will find out how the quality is. I had a look over the bag and it seems to be excellent work.
Like everything I’m sure it’s not every bag, or even a majority of bags that have quality issues, so I’m sure yours is more than fine! But I do think they should pay more attention to quality control.
Old 7 December 2017, 08:09 AM   #37
Peepip
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I bought my wife an Eva clutch/crossbody and within two years the zipper was separating from the canvas. We sent it to LV and they fixed it for free but managed to use a different color thread for the stitching

Not nearly as bad as the Chloe bag she had. The inside lining completely tore apart from the outside leather in a couple months thankfully neiman took it back full refund.
That’s good they fixed it for you! But I feel like these things shouldn’t really happen in the first place. And especially not at the volume I’ve been seeing
Old 7 December 2017, 08:15 AM   #38
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It was not a forum, it was a buying and selling site. Don't remember the name, but if you google How To Sell Luxury Handbags some sites should pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
John, what's the name of the forum that your wife was able to sell her purse on? My wife has a bunch of purses and bags from LV, parada, Chanel and Hermes that are like new or barely used that she wants to sell.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 10:28 PM   #39
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like everything I’m sure it’s not every bag, or even a majority of bags that have quality issues, so I’m sure yours is more than fine! But I do think they should pay more attention to quality control.
I agree with there quality controll. Her small leather goods seem to be holding up very well, its a shame the purses seem to be the ones with issues.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:22 AM   #40
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
I've been told that if bags that have zippers for fastening the opening stay zippered after use, instead of standing open, this lessens canvas cracking as bag ages.
At least that's probably why the LV tote at our house still looks great after years of use.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 12:53 AM   #41
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
I've been told that if bags that have zippers for fastening the opening stay zippered after use, instead of standing open, this lessens canvas cracking as bag ages.
At least that's probably why the LV tote at our house still looks great after years of use.
My wife has a handbag addiction like many, but I have to admit she takes really good care of them and for the most part they look like new even after years of occasional use. Everything is stored in the dust bag with the paper stuffing to keep the shape. The handbags and wallets she purchased for frequent use, she chose the more durable leathers like saffiano/Epsom, and they have held up well

The Chanel medium classic flap was a bit disappointing as there are two internal stitches that hold the flap to the bag, and both broke within weeks after a couple of uses. It doesn't compromise the bag, but it would be silly to ship it to a repair center just for that, and shouldn't have happened in the first place.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 01:03 AM   #42
ADB85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I have several LV canvas carry-on Keepall bags as well as a couple of laptop bags. I have used them almost daily for several years and have held up incredibly well. Can't speak highly enough of them.
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 06:31 AM   #43
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
What's up with Chanel bags?

My wife has bags from Longchamp, LV, Hermès, Coach, etc.

At these price points you’re primarily paying for status. The Birkin or Kelly are well constructed handmade bags using excellent leather. $15,000 worth? No way. Just like most luxury watches :-)

On the topic of LV quality, they’re certainly “good enough” for their price point, but not in the same league as Hermès and Chanel.

That 2 gusset briefcase is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k US at Hermès current prices. You don’t own something like that because it’s a good value.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 09:54 AM   #44
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
My experience with Chanel and Hermès either for me or my bride - is that they pride themselves in the exclusivity and they want to keep it that way — and with that comes a price.

I appreciate that about them.

The argument of ‘value’ and ‘availability’ is entirely subjective — just as it is with watches— as is the rapport with boutiques.

Just my .02

Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 09:59 AM   #45
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armen34 View Post
Abdullah, this purse forum is just a reference and hype forum. Also, they help with authenticating... you cannot buy or sell bags there.
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:51 PM   #46
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Nearly 2 years after this thread started, my wife wants a Chanel 19 small flap goatskin bag.

No dice today when shopping but our name was put on a list (sounds familiar). Apparently woman have the same problems buying bags at retailers like us with watches.

I had no idea handbags has a huge secondary market until my daughter found a YouTube video about the Hermès Birkin Himalaya bag. Some sports better guy (Vegas Dave) uses one as a wallet.

https://www.christies.com/features/D...ya-9532-3.aspx
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:53 PM   #47
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
My wife has bags from Longchamp, LV, Hermès, Coach, etc.

At these price points you’re primarily paying for status. The Birkin or Kelly are well constructed handmade bags using excellent leather. $15,000 worth? No way. Just like most luxury watches :-)

On the topic of LV quality, they’re certainly “good enough” for their price point, but not in the same league as Hermès and Chanel.

That 2 gusset briefcase is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k US at Hermès current prices. You don’t own something like that because it’s a good value.
This picture enabled me 100%
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #48
RHIII

I’ve had some good luck - and folks have taken care of me with the last few bag purchases for my bride. She has a couple Chanel bags and Birkins (30 and 35). She carries Ferragamo daily - and has several of the other heavy hitters. (Gucci, Bottega Venetta, Goyard, etc) she’s not an LV fan

Chanel and Hermès are like the Stainless Rolex paradigm right now. You’ll likely wait to have the opportunity to purchase - but - having said that Chanel and Hermès are really the only bags that actually hold value. As stated above they go to extremes to keep their product off of the discount markets.

Old 17 February 2020, 09:20 AM   #49
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You are asking too much. When you cannot sell something - anything - for more than a year the price is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawarra View Post
I have men’s kelly briefcase which I am trying to sell on eBay for 3 years with no luck.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:36 AM   #50
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I ended up paying a $800 premium over MSRP for an already expensive bag. Killed me doing it but my 15th wedding anniversary is coming up plus her birthday. Plus, she doesn’t whine much about my watches.

That damn 19 black goat skin flag bag is like 1 year and done.

Another release of black lamb skin for the 19 bag is scheduled for later this month but the wait list is too long. I even called in some female friends who are Hermès and Chanel heavy hitters and they can't get them at Saks, Neiman Marcus, or 2 Boutiques.

Oh well, the wife will be surprised as she thinks I strike out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I’ve had some good luck - and folks have taken so true care of me with the last few bag purchases for my bride. She has a couple Chanel bags and Birkins (30 and 35). She carries Ferragamo daily - and has several of the other heavy hitters. (Gucci, Bottega Venetta, Goyard, etc) she’s not an LV fan

Chanel and Hermès are like the Stainless Rolex paradigm right now. You’ll likely wait to have the opportunity to purchase - but - having said that Chanel and Hermès are really the only bags that actually hold value. As stated above they go to extremes to keep their product off of the discount markets.

Old 19 February 2020, 05:06 AM   #51
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I ended up paying a $800 premium over MSRP for an already expensive bag. Killed me doing it but my 15th wedding anniversary is coming up plus her birthday. Plus, she doesn’t whine much about my watches.

That damn 19 black goat skin flag bag is like 1 year and done.

Another release of black lamb skin for the 19 bag is scheduled for later this month but the wait list is too long. I even called in some female friends who are Hermès and Chanel heavy hitters and they can't get them at Saks, Neiman Marcus, or 2 Boutiques.

Oh well, the wife will be surprised as she thinks I strike out.

I have a friend at one of the boutiques who has taken good care of me over the years. But there’s an element of luck there too!

Old 19 February 2020, 05:28 AM   #52
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

funny thing is if this were a watch, I would 100% refuse to pay an $800 premium for a $5k watch. would throw a tantrum before paying for it.

yet on a purse, i'm just happy to be done w/ it. zero remorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I have a friend at one of the boutiques who has taken good care of me over the years. But there’s an element of luck there too!

Old 19 February 2020, 07:15 AM   #53
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
funny thing is if this were a watch, I would 100% refuse to pay an $800 premium for a $5k watch. would throw a tantrum before paying for it.

yet on a purse, i'm just happy to be done w/ it. zero remorse.

Agree. The bags are really harder to get - overall. And Hermès and Chanel do everything they can to keep them off the secondary market (for the most part)

Old 19 February 2020, 11:54 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I ended up buying my wife a caviar classic flap with silver hardware in 2018 for her birthday. She loves it and it’s held up great. Back then it was a simple phone call to the NYC boutique.