The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #1
LagunaSeca
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Icon6 Anyone brew their own beer?

Anyone out there brew their own beer?
pics / setup?
LagunaSeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:36 PM   #2
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I did. Won blue ribbon at the LA County Fair for a Belgian strong ale.....then we started having kids. Still have all the gear so I'll get back at it some day.

Are you brewing?
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 05:00 AM   #3
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I used to many years ago. My local brew pub closed and the only way to get good beer was to make it. A few years later, SC passed the "pop the top" law which allowed higher gravity beers to be sold in the state. At that point, it was easier to just buy it. Despite how it looks on some of my threads, I really don't drink much. Quality over quantity. I would be more than happy to discuss my setup. Just send me a PM with your number. My buddies and I actually built a system to make 15 gallons at a time.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 08:57 AM   #4
LagunaSeca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
I did. Won blue ribbon at the LA County Fair for a Belgian strong ale.....then we started having kids. Still have all the gear so I'll get back at it some day.

Are you brewing?
Not yet but i've been wanting to for some time now. Just thought i'd get more info / interested in seeing some homemade setups.
Old 19 December 2017, 08:58 AM   #5
LagunaSeca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I used to many years ago. My local brew pub closed and the only way to get good beer was to make it. A few years later, SC passed the "pop the top" law which allowed higher gravity beers to be sold in the state. At that point, it was easier to just buy it. Despite how it looks on some of my threads, I really don't drink much. Quality over quantity. I would be more than happy to discuss my setup. Just send me a PM with your number. My buddies and I actually built a system to make 15 gallons at a time.
That sounds awesome! Any pics of your setup?
Old 19 December 2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Rolex addict
Banned

Unfortunately, no pics. When we were brewing, no one had cell phones with a camera. I fight technology as long as I can. Gave in about three years ago and got a smartphone. If you have money to burn, there are nice setups you can buy from places like morebeer.com We got old Budweiser kegs (because they fit perfectly on a turkey fryer), plasma torched the top off, and welded a stainless steel fitting on the bottom for a SS ball valve. Those make great cooking pots for the wert. Total cost was about $70 each ready to go.
Old 20 December 2017, 12:03 AM   #7
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Perhaps if I had more time, but I feel the same way about brewing beer that I do about cooking. I like it and it's fun however there are tons of people in my general area that can cook better brew better and do it with minimal aggravation and waste. So I leave it to them more often than not. The ingredients, equipment and time involved make beer making cost prohibitive for me and while I do cook most of our meals at home, I'm not going to invest in the equipment or expertise to become a sushi master or pastry chef either.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 12:08 AM   #8
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Perhaps if I had more time, but I feel the same way about brewing beer that I do about cooking. I like it and it's fun however there are tons of people in my general area that can cook better brew better and do it with minimal aggravation and waste. So I leave it to them more often than not. The ingredients, equipment and time involved make beer making cost prohibitive for me and while I do cook most of our meals at home, I'm not going to invest in the equipment or expertise to become a sushi master or pastry chef either.
There is no doubt that the initial setup costs are high. With the extremely broad range of microbrews one can buy now, it's just not worth my time to brew anymore.
Old 20 December 2017, 11:15 AM   #9
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Heck yeah! All grain, corny kegs cook a Stone Ruination clone- Mitch steel is their (Stone Brewery) brew master and an avid home brewer. (also wrote a great book on IPAs)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141206_144028.jpg (230.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20161117_202321.jpg (192.6 KB, 33 views)
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 12:40 PM   #10
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
It's all piled in the garage but here it is. All grain, etc. Had dreams of a four tap kegerator with nitrogen tap for Russian imperial stout I brewed but like I said earlier, kept having kids (much more fun making those than beer).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 08:18 AM   #11
LagunaSeca
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
It's all piled in the garage but here it is. All grain, etc. Had dreams of a four tap kegerator with nitrogen tap for Russian imperial stout I brewed but like I said earlier, kept having kids (much more fun making those than beer).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Damn dude! Looks like you really know what you're doing there. If I end up needing some pointers, i'm gonna PM you