The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2017, 11:30 AM   #91
braith
Banned

Watch: Hulk/Daytona/AP
You can't go wrong with both.
braith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:26 PM   #92
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
Look at the resale market.
I did say very clearly "...soft re-sale values on the used market won't cut it". I'll ask again: where's your evidence and some facts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
You have no idea about watches,before you say crap about Panerai go and learn there history, I’m sure you don’t even own a Rolex to start with?[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He can't read either.

Awesome collection, brother. That 332 is amazing

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:29 PM   #93
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I did say very clearly "...soft re-sale values on the used market won't cut it". I'll ask again: where's your evidence and some facts?

He can't read either.

Awesome collection, brother. That 332 is amazing

Thanks Mate Have a great holidays.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:30 PM   #94
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Panerai forum here seems to be pretty healthy, so think the brand is doing fine.

Paul's blue dial above is very nice, I'm gonna try one on next time I'm in town.
Thank you, Neil

You’d be very hard pressed to find one though, unless a grey has one. Limited to 300 pieces worldwide and OP boutique exclusive. Here’s mine yesterday on a racing tan Teju lizard skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49A0324F-D73C-489F-8AF1-5AC57F461B93.jpeg (289.5 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpeg 12487621-B63F-41A6-B908-AD1459C0568B.jpeg (290.0 KB, 430 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 18 December 2017, 01:38 PM   #95
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I own and love both brands.

I'd been looking for something different than Rolex for quite some time. I sort of rotated through most of the Rolex popular sport models and frankly became a bit bored.

Then I stumbled on this one ... I'm so glad I took the leap into the Panerai brand.
Very nice! I want #1 and #3.. Curious what car you are driving?? Is your wrist about 7.25"? IMO Rolex and Panerai go together well especially if one is interested in the history of the two companies. When I started thinking about watches a year ago Panerai, Rolex, and a couple others were mentioned to me by a watch enthusiast acquaintance. I was a Navy Submariner in the early 80s. Luckily I was able to attend diving school at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. When I started looking at the watches and brands mentioned Panerai was the one I was most excited about as an ex Navy scuba diver. The first 21 years of Panerai watches are basically Rolex watches with a Panerai name. I would like to see Rolex starts producing 42 or 43mm submariners.
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:43 PM   #96
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo925 View Post
Very nice! I want #1 and #3.. Curious what car you are driving?? IMO Rolex and Panerai go together well especially if one is interested in the history of the two companies. When I started thinking about watches a year ago Panerai, Rolex, and a couple others were mentioned to me by a watch enthusiast acquaintance. I was a Navy Submariner in the early 80s. Luckily I was able to attend diving school at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. When I started looking at the watches and brands mentioned Panerai was the one I was most excited about as an ex Navy scuba diver. The first 21 years of Panerai watches are basically Rolex watches with a Panerai name. I would like to see Rolex starts producing 42 or 43mm submariners.
Thank you

I have a love for blue dials so when I saw the 690, I guess you could say it was love at first sight. I drive a 330e
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 01:56 PM   #97
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

This thread started during 2011 and Panerai was selling like hotcake, in is on everyone's tongue but as of Dec 2017, my over impression of Panerai is down trending. Hype is over but folks who love the design will continue to support.

Not meant to be a brand attack but from my personal observation. Not sure if anyone else is feeling that way.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:00 PM   #98
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
3 beauties right there Paul

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you Brian, as is your 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have been eyeing your black Pam chrono for awhile now. I think I may have to add a black Pam to my collection. I have a kings fortune in 44mm Panerai straps so it’s a easy sell in my mind.
It's a 332, it's a real beauty and, tragically, discontinued . I'm not sure what they run when released but they command five figures on the used market.

Come see us in the Panerai sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangas View Post
Is that all you got
Yep, seems so

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Thanks Mate Have a great holidays.
Nice one, mate. You too

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Both capable and robust tool watches.

IMHO panerai pricing and abundance of LE have made them less of an enduring choice.

and of course the diameter of Panerai can be something for many to get used to.
Logical and balanced Gus, as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo View Post
The fall of Panerai:

https://youtu.be/UrgyJLQcsJU
Someone ranting over the Due line on YouTube and that means Panerai is dead? You clearly have no clue about the brand or it's history and your claims are based upon the opinions of one man who doesn't like one model in the Panerai line-up.

Come back with your own opinion based on your research and the facts that you can provide. I could eat a bowl of alphabet spaghetti and better reasoning than what you've come up with so far

Panerai isn't for everyone. The brand has its flaws and not every decision they make is the right one. Used values on the majority of the watches tank so my advice, FWIW, is to buy right to begin with and minimise any potential losses.

Most of us, though, don't buy for future resale value or as investments. We buy for the love of the watches and the brand. You either get it or you don't and I'm ok with either. I am not ok with people bashing the brand just for the sake of it with zero knowledge of Panerai, no facts and no evidence.

Old 18 December 2017, 03:21 PM   #99
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Interested in facts and evidence...Panerai is dying by its own marketing faux pas hands...check out @perezcope on IG and his website...well researched and interesting articles focused mainly on Panerai and Rolex

Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:41 PM   #100
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Thank you

I have a love for blue dials so when I saw the 690, I guess you could say it was love at first sight. I drive a 330e
I drive a Lexus hybrid, but all black interior. I like the better choice of interior color options in Audi or BMW. If not the 690, the blue skydweller stainless/gold 42 will be on my radar too.. I'm starting to get sucked in....
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:14 PM   #101
Star Ferry
Banned

Kind of confusing how they are an Italian brand but the watches are Swiss made

but Panerai has its place in the market. A lot of people want a nice sport watch with a large case. Not everybody wants a Rolex. Others already own a Rolex and want to try something different.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:32 PM   #102
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
One is big bold and brash whilst the other has many an owner (albeit not all) with similar traits with a splash of arrogance thrown in.

On a serious note its a matter personal taste. Every collection needs a rolex, i'm less certain one needs a a PAM despite all that they are
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:18 PM   #103
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Rolex Vs. Panerai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
This thread started during 2011 and Panerai was selling like hotcake, in is on everyone's tongue but as of Dec 2017, my over impression of Panerai is down trending. Hype is over but folks who love the design will continue to support.

Not meant to be a brand attack but from my personal observation. Not sure if anyone else is feeling that way.

I have no empirical evidence but last week at the SF tourneau the sales dude said one brand sells in his store, Panerai ....and second hand Rolex . He carries Nomos , Cartier, Tag , JLC, Longines and IWC

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:29 PM   #104
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I have no empirical evidence but last week at the SF tourneau the sales dude said one brand sells in his store, Panerai ....and second hand Rolex . He carries Nomos , Cartier, Tag , JLC, Longines and IWC

Looks like people SHOP! not so much talk :)

wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 02:46 PM   #105
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
So, after being the OP on this, funny how I have owned a few now(Panerai). Currently in love with the 1305. WOW!!!
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 03:18 PM   #106
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Thank you, Neil

You’d be very hard pressed to find one though, unless a grey has one. Limited to 300 pieces worldwide and OP boutique exclusive. Here’s mine yesterday on a racing tan Teju lizard skin.
Love it! Great pics!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 03:36 PM   #107
rolexandrolex
Banned

I like the design of the panerai, those sexy curves on the 1950 case. I also like the craftsmanship and robustness of the rolex, so ..

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
rolexandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 03:58 PM   #108
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I’d say if you are looking for a watch you could keep for a little while and get your money back out of you really can’t go wrong with second hand Rolex or Patek (assuming you get them at a good price/condition).
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 06:27 PM   #109
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Used to have both Rolex and Panerai in my collection.

Now I only have Rolex pieces among Tudors. Panerai in my collection have gone the way of the dodo.

Sums up my take on Panerai.

I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 01:37 AM   #110
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
I like the 0 luminor as its clean dial. I like the case and love all the strap options. For me they are overpriced even used. New is 4750 and best used I have seen is like 3600. If they were 2000-2500 then I would get one in a second.

Omegas can go in that 3600 range and they have much better movements.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 01:57 AM   #111
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I have owned 7 Panerai since 1998. When I got my first one, it was very unique and garnered a lot of attention, which made it fun to wear. The simple face and unique look was very cool. I have also owned a Breitling Navitimer with a Valjoux movement. Nice watch but lousy internals, with a lot of rotor noise. I still own two Panerai that both have ETA hand wound movements, which are good time keepers, but not in house. Also, the Panerai are very "top heavy" even on the rubber straps.

My new SD43 is really a totally different watch all together. The 70 hour in house power reserve movement with multiple Rolex patents is a true horological piece. The quality and comfort is really noticeable compared to the Panerai and Breitling.

Lastly, in terms of value, I really do not like what Panerai did to the brand. They copied the Breitling model. Take a true heritage brand and make tons of models with varying levels of quality. Panerai recently made push pin watch band holders and snap case backs which really hurt their image. This turned me off to the brand.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 02:03 AM   #112
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Someday I’d like to pick up a Panerai, but the Rolex is on another level and I’m reminded of this every time I go into an AD and ask to try on an IWC or Panerai.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 02:07 AM   #113
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Rolexforum ... hmmm
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 02:09 AM   #114
mrhanzdotcom
Banned

Watch: 14060 116710BLNR
Love both.... I still keep my 390 for sentimental value

mrhanzdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #115
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
I have owned 7 Panerai since 1998. When I got my first one, it was very unique and garnered a lot of attention, which made it fun to wear. The simple face and unique look was very cool. I have also owned a Breitling Navitimer with a Valjoux movement. Nice watch but lousy internals, with a lot of rotor noise. I still own two Panerai that both have ETA hand wound movements, which are good time keepers, but not in house. Also, the Panerai are very "top heavy" even on the rubber straps.

My new SD43 is really a totally different watch all together. The 70 hour in house power reserve movement with multiple Rolex patents is a true horological piece. The quality and comfort is really noticeable compared to the Panerai and Breitling.

Lastly, in terms of value, I really do not like what Panerai did to the brand. They copied the Breitling model. Take a true heritage brand and make tons of models with varying levels of quality. Panerai recently made push pin watch band holders and snap case backs which really hurt their image. This turned me off to the brand.
Exactly..couldn't have said it better myself
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 04:07 AM   #116
S/Z
"TRF" Member

It's interesting to see how Panerai has evolved as a brand over the last 20 years.

I was a fan in the 2000s but eventually got turned off from the brand for many of the reasons commonly cited.

After not owning a Panerai for years, I picked one up last year. I had forgotten how much fun it is to strap one on in all its bold, bigass glory.

Panerai as a brand is not what it once was, and it will never be Rolex, but the watches themselves still provide their own unique enjoyment. At least for me.

IMG_2302-1.jpg
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #117
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have both and enjoy them equally.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 04:11 AM   #118
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I enjoy wearing my PAM 572 a lot more than any of my Rolex. But the PAM doesn’t scream look at me, I am able to afford a Rolex... which I also love.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 04:11 AM   #119
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Rolexforum ... hmmm
Maybe you have not noticed yet, I see you have just joined in 2018, but there is a Panerai Discussion Forum here too.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 07:29 AM   #120
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Exactly..couldn't have said it better myself
Thank you. I still like my Panerai and will give them to my twin sons one day. One is a Destro lefty model...and one of my twins is lefty. They have seen me wear these Panerai their whole life so far, so will make a nice college grad gift.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote