The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 December 2017, 01:29 PM   #31
Magwitch
Banned

I was in my 60's and my mother in her 90's when I saw her for the last time. She still lectured me about the tats just like she did after I got the first one in 1978. I got the "I raised you better than that." speech.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 02:18 PM   #32
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Great answers everyone! Thank you! I will definitely think long and hard as to getting a tattoo. I’ll do the jewelry for now. I’m a Nurse Practitioner but I do work like a physician because I do urgent care and I am the sole provider when I’m working. I couldn’t have anything that would show.
Old 16 December 2017, 11:10 PM   #33
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i wouldnt do it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 11:44 PM   #34
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

small tattoo, are fine...man you guys are old school.
i have had a small tat. for 24 yrs now..and i don 't regret..it s part of my journey. i am in my mid 40...and work in a pro setting.
put it somewhere where you can hide it with clothes if you are in a pro setting and you think it might go against you and enjoy it on the beach.
my advise...don t go cheap and pick a good artist..once you have it...it might as well be pretty...heheh good luck.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:18 AM   #35
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I can relate a lot to Beo3.

For many, tattoos are for them. Not for others. My ink is a chronological map of my life.

I went through a phase where I thought I’d not get anymore. But I’m now in the phase where I’m ready for some serious time in the chair.

Tattoos have a lot of meaning, depending on who is getting them. The OP is clearly doing this for herself, and asking advise on placement.

Much of what we do as humans is a reflection of who we are. And who we are hoping to be. Tattoos are no different. They help remind us of moments from the past, they help focus on beliefs in the present, and they help us strive for hope in the future.

Tattoos are a form of art and they are a form of expression. For many of us, simply for ourselves.

How others perceive us and how we look at the beach, is typically not of too much concern
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️...agree with Seth every tattoo I have represents a story, memory, or belief in my life/journey. To each their own
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:28 AM   #36
BravoOne
Banned

Still on eof the funniest SNL skits ever, way back when SNL was really funny. Sorry I can't detach the add.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...F_oh_5ahUyxlss
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:32 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
High up on your arm, above biceps would look cool
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:38 AM   #38
Sperry
"TRF" Member

I've been considering a tattoo around my bicep for . . . decades. Still -zero-. A double solid line with symbols between the lines, like text. About ¾" total height and the entire circumference.

You should do what you want. IMO, something about the size of a tangerine would look good near the bikini line just behind the left hip.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:51 AM   #39
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
I've been considering a tattoo around my bicep for . . . decades. Still -zero-. A double solid line with symbols between the lines, like text. About ¾" total height and the entire circumference.

You should do what you want. IMO, something about the size of a tangerine would look good near the bikini line just behind the left hip.
At that location she would never see it so what's the point lol
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 12:53 AM   #40
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:

For many, tattoos are for them. Not for others. My ink is a chronological map of my life.

I went through a phase where I thought I’d not get anymore. But I’m now in the phase where I’m ready for some serious time in the chair.

Tattoos have a lot of meaning, depending on who is getting them. The OP is clearly doing this for herself, and asking advise on placement.

Much of what we do as humans is a reflection of who we are. And who we are hoping to be. Tattoos are no different. They help remind us of moments from the past, they help focus on beliefs in the present, and they help us strive for hope in the future.

Tattoos are a form of art and they are a form of expression. For many of us, simply for ourselves.

How others perceive us and how we look at the beach, is typically not of too much concern
I think this is a good perspective.

I have a good friend from my time in the Army that got his platoon logo tattooed on his ribs. He was in the Nightstalkers for 12 years, and spent over 10 of those years in the same platoon. He rose from SPC to SFC and eventually became the PLT sergeant, with more rotations to Iraq and Afghanistan (and God knows where else) than he can count. The tattoo has a lot of meaning for him, and is a lasting reminder of his connection with his comrades.

On the other hand, there was a time when I worked with a Japanese Army officer who was a part of an exchange program. While he was in the states, he took the opportunity to travel as much has he could and got to see a good part of the country. One day he asked me about the Asian symbols that he had seen as tattoos everywhere he went. I explained that it’s just popular here to get a tattoo of a Chinese character that has meaning, like “honor” or “loyalty” or some other phrase. He explained that many of these tattoos that he had seen did not make sense, and that the one he had seen the previous day had translated to “kitchen table” and that most of them were actually just random words. I think this is hilarious, that all these tattoo parlors have books for people to look at Chinese characters with the wrong translation.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 01:14 AM   #41
T4ME
"TRF" Member

I agree to not get something you don't really know what it means. I have ink and the only regret was that I should have gone bigger on one particular. I would have sleeves if I wasn't in corporate world ...don't want to wear long sleeve shirts all the time at work.. I agree its important to get the best artist you can afford ... being in the medical field are there any industry standards that would perhaps hinder you later down the line... if not go for it
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 05:45 AM   #42
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Seth, are you married? and if you are do you take your wife's opinion into consideration when you decide to tattoo? After all, this could place hardship on one's marriage if there is a disagreement between spouses.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 06:34 AM   #43
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Seth, are you married? and if you are do you take your wife's opinion into consideration when you decide to tattoo? After all, this could place hardship on one's marriage if there is a disagreement between spouses.
I’m not going to lie, I find this an odd question based on the discussion. But I’m game.

I am married. And I love being married. I take everything she feels about anything I do in my life into account. Literally everything.

I won’t do anything without her buy in. Mostly. And if she was adamantly against my getting more tattoos, I’d listen and abide by her wishes. But given that I married the correct partner for me, she knows who I am, and does not have a problem with most things that I do.

She’s not shy to bringing it up if she does have a problem. In fact, she can be rather forceful about it. But typically she’s in agreement. We are like minded in a lot of things. Most things.

But in conclusion, I’d do anything she’s asked me to do. Or not to do. Anything and everything.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:12 AM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Happening now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DF732B9A-2692-40DF-9104-A3BAB00F7975.jpeg (152.1 KB, 179 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:29 AM   #45
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I like the idea of a bracelet or picture.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:33 AM   #46
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Happening now.

Nice. That is going to sting for a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 08:36 AM   #47
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
I must disagree with the most on this thread. You want a tattoo, get it. If you are a professional, get something beautiful that you can wear with pride.
Do not be concerned with other peoples opinions. I am heavily tattooed and work with people much more affluent then I. They are more interested on as to why I am wearing a five thousand dollar watch as to my choice of ink.
I have tattoos because they make ME happy, not to appease anyone else.

With that being said, you are an adult and be certain its something that you can be happy with forever.

Just venting, if I upset anyone please remember I love this forum and everyone on it :)

PS - My mother wanted to kill me when I came home on my first leave with a tattoo!

Agree.

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 11:38 AM   #48
braith
Banned

Watch: Hulk/Daytona/AP
Everyone saying don't do it for a reason don't you think?
braith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:29 AM   #49
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
I think this is a good perspective.

I have a good friend from my time in the Army that got his platoon logo tattooed on his ribs. He was in the Nightstalkers for 12 years, and spent over 10 of those years in the same platoon. He rose from SPC to SFC and eventually became the PLT sergeant, with more rotations to Iraq and Afghanistan (and God knows where else) than he can count. The tattoo has a lot of meaning for him, and is a lasting reminder of his connection with his comrades.

On the other hand, there was a time when I worked with a Japanese Army officer who was a part of an exchange program. While he was in the states, he took the opportunity to travel as much has he could and got to see a good part of the country. One day he asked me about the Asian symbols that he had seen as tattoos everywhere he went. I explained that it’s just popular here to get a tattoo of a Chinese character that has meaning, like “honor” or “loyalty” or some other phrase. He explained that many of these tattoos that he had seen did not make sense, and that the one he had seen the previous day had translated to “kitchen table” and that most of them were actually just random words. I think this is hilarious, that all these tattoo parlors have books for people to look at Chinese characters with the wrong translation.

Ok. I don't have any tattoos, but I'm ok with those that do, but that "kitchen table " story is pretty darn funny.

Sometimes, I think I'd like a small one, but then my daughter starts explaining about cultural appropriation, etc.

Old 19 December 2017, 01:29 AM   #50
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
Ouroboros tattoo? Just pondering getting one that won’t be easily seen. The Ouroboros is a sign of infinity. I don’t have any tattoos and I haven’t decided. What do you think? Back of neck. Shoulder blade.

Hi Keya

I'm in the do it camp, having a full sleeve and much of my other arm done.

Its your body, and its your choice what to do with it. Properly done, tattoos can be very beautiful on women.

But thats the key point - properly done. Find an artist you are happy with. Like them as much as their work.

The piece you are considering will need to be quite large to permit the detail it requires and for longevity. Too many fine lines too close together in too small an area will in years to come spread a little and become less sharp and clear.

Chose somewhere that won't stretch, grow or sag as you get older. For that reason I'd stay clear of stomach, lower abdomen, bikini line and lower back.

Sternum, shoulders, upper back, nape of neck, below the knee (avoid feet as they do tend to wear) are all better. Sternum will hurt like hell, however, as will ribs.

For what you want and the size it will need to be I'd say shoudler. I think base of neck/above and between the shoulder blade tattoos on females can look fantastic, but size may be an issue there for you.

Let us know what you decide

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:55 PM   #51
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Thank you!
Old 19 December 2017, 03:35 PM   #52
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtele58 View Post
I have never seen a woman that looks better with a tattoo than without.
Sorry. Please don't.
I agree with the statement above, but ultimately, it's each person's personal choice.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 01:54 PM   #53
Phrank

Watch: ♕
IMO - a tattoo with deep personal meaning...maybe, personal call.

A sleeve full of dragons, unicorns, Chinese writing or other meaningless symbols you pick from a menu just to get, "inked"...boring, and nowadays, it's a clear case of been there, seen that, got the T-Shirt, the ball cap, coffee mug and....the TEMPORARY tattoo....:-)

Yawn...
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 02:12 PM   #54
EE33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 16710 116520
Tattoos are painful and can be VERY painful depending on which part of the body you choose to get them done, so be prepared for that.
My tats are on the upper arms and on my chest so I can easily cover them up with a simple T-shirt.
Good luck with your first and as mentioned before it probably won't be your last tattoo.

Punctuality is the courtesy shown only by Kings

Dalip: "GTG posts are worthless without pics, absolutely worthless"
EE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 02:23 PM   #55
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
I believe no matter what tattoo one gets, the scalp/head is the best place for it. Shave your head and ink the tarantula or Celtic barbed wire or rendition of one's dead pet or whatever, and just grow your hair back anytime you want to take a break from it. It will alway be there for you just a pair of clippers or razor away.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 03:55 PM   #56
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:

My boss is Egyptian and a bit of a body-builder. He has sleeves on both arms and because we work in a professional environment for a fairly conservative company he always covers them up. I’ve worked with him for 8 years now and he has never once worn a short sleeve shirt to work during that time.

I know who I am and I’m very happy to be Ink-free at the age of 50. I’m all for personal expression but tattoos just aren’t for me. I seriously doubt I’ll ever get one.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 04:07 PM   #57
-lenny-

Watch: 👑
I get that some people like tattoos, and some don't. What really surprises me, is the amount of people that feel since they personally don't want a tattoo, nobody should get one!?!

Sounds kind of crazy if you say it out loud.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:51 PM   #58
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I like the design. I think it would look great between the scapulae. Easy to hide, but also easy to expose if you wish.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 12:01 AM   #59
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I get that some people like tattoos, and some don't. What really surprises me, is the amount of people that feel since they personally don't want a tattoo, nobody should get one!?!

Sounds kind of crazy if you say it out loud.
Go read a thread about diamonds on mens watches and you will see the trend isn’t limited to tattoo’s.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 12:44 AM   #60
Floorguy

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Just keep in mind that when you get old, and start to lose muscle tone and your skin starts to wrinkle, you’ll have a faded ink blot where your cool tat use to be.
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote