The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2017, 12:35 PM   #31
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Asia Pacific no problem with any piece. I would be cautious in South America and would go non PCL with the Explorer II.

Whenever I head to a less favourable neighbourhood I usually cover my watch with an Adidas sweatband that I leave in my travel bag or wear long sleeve shirts.

Situational awareness is always the key.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:10 PM   #32
meganfox17
Banned

There was a little game I use to play with my gfs back in college while loitering at the shopping malls over the weekends.It's call " Spot the American".The basic idea is to try and figure em' out just by observing their watches, baggy sweats clothes, hoodies, checking out their trainers etc. It was just a silly little game to hone our observation skills but distinguishing an American from a British tourist is pretty easy actually...

My point is once a local (Taxi cab drivers, local traders, commercial street photographers, site tour guides) spots a foreigner with an obvious Rolex, then the risk of over charging a tourist for a service/ product or if you like "fleecing a tourist" becomes a very real phenomena. I've honestly never came across any case of a foreigner having his or her Rolex watch stolen in broad daylight (That's a non issue in my country). It's just such a shame that the seeing a Rolex on the wrist of a tourist turns some bad apples into really unscrupulous individuals....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 02:22 PM   #33
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
If you know there are risks and are willing to insure and take the loss, then wear whatever you wish. You already know the smart money is on leaving the watch at home. Not just to prevent theft but the assault that may accompany it. You also know that the Ex2 is less ostentatious. You have the answers you're seeking. You just haven't decided yet whether to follow through.

Personally, when I travel to regions of the world that are sketchy, my Casio G-Shocks come with me. To developed areas, any of my watches may accompany.

PS. When traveling to exotic places to have meaningful places, the adventure is the experience not on your wrist. Watches and all that other junk are incidental...although one may get a misimpression of this from threads posted here. Anyways, it would really suck to be trampled by a cape buffalo while attempting to get a selfie with *just* the right sunlight sparkle off the bezel of your BLNR.

PPS. It seems like you would like to bring a watch with a second time zone function. In that case, I would probably purchase a Squale GMT for about $800 and not worry a whit about theft, breakage, or loss. Or, as above, Casio G-Shock with world time functionality.
Makes sense to me.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:04 PM   #34
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
There was a little game I use to play with my gfs back in college while loitering at the shopping malls over the weekends.It's call " Spot the American".The basic idea is to try and figure em' out just by observing their watches, baggy sweats clothes, hoodies, checking out their trainers etc. It was just a silly little game to hone our observation skills but distinguishing an American from a British tourist is pretty easy actually...

My point is once a local (Taxi cab drivers, local traders, commercial street photographers, site tour guides) spots a foreigner with an obvious Rolex, then the risk of over charging a tourist for a service/ product or if you like "fleecing a tourist" becomes a very real phenomena. I've honestly never came across any case of a foreigner having his or her Rolex watch stolen in broad daylight (That's a non issue in my country). It's just such a shame that the seeing a Rolex on the wrist of a tourist turns some bad apples into really unscrupulous individuals....
Interesting, as I had a buddy of mine in KL in broad daylight have his 18K Sub LB ripped off of his wrist 3 months ago while on his way home from work.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:09 PM   #35
Star Ferry
Banned

The exp 2 is less recognizably Rolex. But it still says Rolex on the dial and has a cyclops & oyster bracelet.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 03:14 PM   #36
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
If I were to buy only one watch, and the choices are GMT or Explorer II, my money goes to the GMT.

Then in the future, buy the Explorer II in white (to differentiate it from your GMT).

Yes, the good (or bad thing) about the GMT Master II is that it looks flashier due to the sparkly polished center links and the highly reflective bezel, but those factors are also why many prefer it over the Explorer II.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2017, 04:47 PM   #37
dcrwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
GMT II -- nicer design, will be a classic down the line as the font on the bezel is particular and will surely change dramatically in the coming year (and probably towards a more standard looking font).
dcrwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:13 AM   #38
parasky
"TRF" Member

Thanks Everybody. I am going to go with the GMT. That's the one I wanted most anyway. I was curious to see if most people would say I was crazy for bringing my watch traveling with me but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think a black dial GMT with a black rubber strap is low key enough to be acceptable.
parasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:30 AM   #39
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

That's the very reason I bought the EXII. No one will batter an eyelid. It was my first rolex too, wanted something sportier and less shouty.

I've only saw it once on a chap sitting across me with a leather strap on. Only WIS would know otherwise it's under the radar.

kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:52 AM   #40
farscott
"TRF" Member

For about twenty years, I used to travel quite a bit for business. As in I was home for fifty two days in 2015. My passports had multiple extra passport pages, and I traveled within North America and to South America, Asia, Australia, and Europe. I wore a two-tone GMT II on its bracelet for all of that time with no issues other than three services (1999, 2008, 2016). I used the heck out of the multiple time zone function, especially when figuring when to call into the inevitable meetings.

Like everything else in life, be smart about where you go and what you do. If I needed a watch today for the same work, I would opt for the Sky Dweller as its annual calendar would make things a bit simpler.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:08 AM   #41
ALF61
"TRF" Member

To the OP. I am a firm believer of wearing or using whatever fits best in the environment. If you are unique in wearing something very expensive, watch out. I have a friend who is a pilot for Qatar airways, flies the A380, and wears his Batman everywhere he flies to. Can you imagine what those countries are, where he goes around in nice hotels and airports. No problems there eh ? If I were you, I would get myself something less flashy for those trips.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 04:17 AM   #42
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
For about twenty years, I used to travel quite a bit for business. As in I was home for fifty two days in 2015. My passports had multiple extra passport pages, and I traveled within North America and to South America, Asia, Australia, and Europe. I wore a two-tone GMT II on its bracelet for all of that time with no issues other than three services (1999, 2008, 2016). I used the heck out of the multiple time zone function, especially when figuring when to call into the inevitable meetings.

Like everything else in life, be smart about where you go and what you do. If I needed a watch today for the same work, I would opt for the Sky Dweller as its annual calendar would make things a bit simpler.
I too traveled a lot for 20 years wearing a TT sub, I never gave it any thought.
However I am now perhaps older and wiser or just more cautious ?

I believe today it is a different world, the ability to sell a stolen watch is significantly easier than it was and the information on value is readily available.

I was in Columbia and Argentina a few years ago and had an incident in each place related to locals spotting my watch (Rolex Exp II), 1 week later one of our members reported being robbed in the same neighborhood as my incident in Argentina.

I simply believe times are different now, though I suppose if you were to ask my parents they may just say when I was younger, I wasn't paying attention.
Old 19 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
both the same i'd think.

the date magnifier is the Rolex giveaway.

a tudor bb or OP, exp is a good alternative.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 04:51 AM   #44
Ben.McDonald7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasky View Post
Thanks Everybody. I am going to go with the GMT. That's the one I wanted most anyway. I was curious to see if most people would say I was crazy for bringing my watch traveling with me but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think a black dial GMT with a black rubber strap is low key enough to be acceptable.
Smart decision. Go with the watch you like the best. As others have said what gives a Rolex away is the cyclops and oyster bracelet which both have. To an experienced thief they will spot both easy. Situational awareness will be your best defence as most thief's want easy targets. You mentioned you are getting it insured if something really does happen. An Everest or Rubber B band will help keep it somewhat under the radar.

I liked the comment about being aware that your Rolex could get you spotted by taxis and other merchants to over charge you. I think that is far more likely to happen vs being robbed.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Philippians 3:13-14
Ω Omega Speedmaster Pro
Ω Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Good Planet LE
Rolex Daytona 116500LN
Rolex Submariner Date 126610LV
Rolex Explorer II 16570
Ben.McDonald7 is offline   Reply With Quote