The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2018, 11:26 AM   #1
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
Yacht-Master Platinum bezel question

Hello everyone at TRF! Purely a hypothetical question here. But I'm wondering if anyone knows what RSC would charge if the platinum bezel on a Yacht-Master needs replaced? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Hello everyone at TRF! Purely a hypothetical question here. But I'm wondering if anyone knows what RSC would charge if the platinum bezel on a Yacht-Master needs replaced? Just curious.

part cost plus labor.

easily over 1k. but prob a full service not just bezel insert replacement.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:04 PM   #3
kaien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post

My guess would be about $2K from start to finish.
kaien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:28 PM   #4
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

This has to be one of the more expensive bezels. I wouldn’t even guess. I bet you could call and ask.

Is yours damaged?
Old 6 March 2018, 12:44 PM   #5
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Isn't it just the bezel insert that is platinum? I thought the bezel was stainless steel.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:06 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswentworth
Isn't it just the bezel insert that is platinum? I thought the bezel was stainless steel.

Hard to say since OP made no distinction in reference number.

On the 16622, only the bezel insert is platinum - the bezel ring is SS.

On the 116622 the entire bezel is platinum.

The cost will depend on what other work is being done. If done during a routine service, the labor for just replacing the bezel or insert is less than an a’la carte job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:50 PM   #7
joroz001
Banned

I asked once and the part alone was somewhere between $3500 and $4000. I did see someone recently past the a British RSC quoted him GBP 600 for a replacement (keeping old one).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
joroz001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 06:22 PM   #8
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
They can be refurbished for a fraction of the cost
Old 6 March 2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Added to my Rolex Factbook. I never got a definitive answer. Since you're saying this it must have been cleared up. I seem to remember about the bezel weighing too much for just the insert to be platinum but I had no idea of the differences between the 5 and 6 digit. I had in my mind that the entire bezel was platinum regardless of reference.

In answer to the OP - It is possible to carefully mask the bezel and individually polish the numerals without touching the satin background. If the satin background is your problem area there are people who can refurb that too... Not that I know of anyone as I treat my YM bezel like my eyeballs.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:13 PM   #10
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Hard to say since OP made no distinction in reference number.

The cost will depend on what other work is being done. If done during a routine service, the labor for just replacing the bezel or insert is less than an a’la carte job.

This is new to me. Do you have a source to support this?

According to Jocke when deconstructing the 16622, "The outer bezel is mirror polished and the insert is blasted with polished numbers and sticks. Both parts are made in solid Platinum but I can´t find a hallmark." Total weight is 10 grams for platinum insert and outer ring, compared to 4 grams for stainless steel insert and outer ring from the Sub.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:00 PM   #11
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I got mine quoted a while back it was about 2k for the bezel only. Most of the time the bezel doesn't need to be replaced, only when its heavily damaged. The thing is, it can't be polished, its sand blasted and very few RSCs have the proper equipment to do so, best bet is to have it shipped to Rolex HQ.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:26 PM   #12
spandrels
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 16610
Does anyone know if 168622 35mm YM has a full platinum bezel? I'm referring to the bezel ring & insert.
spandrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:04 AM   #13
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Added to my Rolex Factbook. I never got a definitive answer. Since you're saying this it must have been cleared up. I seem to remember about the bezel weighing too much for just the insert to be platinum but I had no idea of the differences between the 5 and 6 digit. I had in my mind that the entire bezel was platinum regardless of reference.

In answer to the OP - It is possible to carefully mask the bezel and individually polish the numerals without touching the satin background. If the satin background is your problem area there are people who can refurb that too... Not that I know of anyone as I treat my YM bezel like my eyeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
This is new to me. Do you have a source to support this?

According to Jocke when deconstructing the 16622, "The outer bezel is mirror polished and the insert is blasted with polished numbers and sticks. Both parts are made in solid Platinum but I can´t find a hallmark." Total weight is 10 grams for platinum insert and outer ring, compared to 4 grams for stainless steel insert and outer ring from the Sub.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/plat.htm

Good questions worth asking guys...

My source is the certified Rolex & Omega watchmaker who works on my Rolex & Omega timepieces. It is also from my own reading.

Before we take anything as gospel let me RE-check with him. I will get back with you soon.

The Rolex parts catalog did not differentiate the bezel from the insert back when I was having my old 5-digit YM worked on. When we called RSC to order an insert, they advised “no, we only sell the bezel and insert as a single unit”. They cited risk of counterfeiting - a point well taken as eBay has many “Bezel insert ‘for’ Yachtmaster” listings of fake parts.

The text on Rolex’s website was clear when they mentioned the 116622 that the bezel is all Pt.: “While the case and bracelet are in rugged 904L stainless steel, the bezel of the Rolesium versions is made of 950 platinum, imparting a silvery whiteness and vibrant luminosity for an unmistakable sense of luxury.”

As for Jocke’s fine post - remember his source said one thing about the bezel, and a wrong thing about the dial. So even he had to deduce the materials from weighing them.

(One small item, the Sub bezel is SS with an aluminum insert vs. SS as you mentioned.)

Old 8 March 2018, 01:38 AM   #14
77T

Sorry this took so long...
So a partial update - I had a search done on the Rolex extranet (I do not have access myself). The part for the 5-digit YM’s is 313-16622 as you probably know. Rolex will not allow me or watchmaker order directly - nor can an AD. “Permission tag error” is stated - so I went to the descriptor and all it said is “PT”.

Jocke didn’t find hallmarks on his. Because my YM’s bezel wasn’t purity tested using a Gemoro Tester, or other method, when it was taken off during an overhaul - all I have is my watchmaker’s version.

We all agree the insert is Platinum. It is the knurled bezel which surrounds it that is in question...

After running up against this wall, I decided to have a YG YM bezel inspected/tested. I will let you know if I find that the YG bezel and/or insert is hallmarked. While not direct evidence, it provides some circumstantial proof - if a YG YM bezel is hallmarked, then so should the Platinum one. If a YG YM bezel isn’t hallmarked then the point is left to the Rolex descriptor (And I get to walkback my watchmaker’s original statement that I repeated here).

Old 8 March 2018, 09:27 AM   #15
77T

Part 2:
The YG YM bezel did not have a hallmark on the underside.

Old 8 March 2018, 10:48 AM   #16
saskmh
"TRF" Member

I am curious about this as well. From all of my research and my own experience with the bezel I was certain that it was platinum. It is definitely softer than the stainless bezels. Under certain colours of light you can see the difference in hues between the stainless and platinum of the 16622 bezel. Unless someone has difinitive proof I would argue that it is solid platinum.
Old 8 March 2018, 10:49 AM   #17
saskmh
"TRF" Member

The easiest confirmation would be to test the hardness between the 16622 bezel and a stainless bezel.
Old 8 March 2018, 09:11 PM   #18
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Part 2:
The YG YM bezel did not have a hallmark on the underside.

So following your logic we assume the 16622 outer ring is platinum although there's no hallmark?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 11:19 PM   #19
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
The easiest confirmation would be to test the hardness between the 16622 bezel and a stainless bezel.

I suppose that is correct, but who wants to potentially damage their bezel ring solely for curiosity?

Since we know Rolex isn’t playing either SS or Pt. it’s not really about a counterfeit plated part. So no need to scratch or indent the part which can cause damage.

Another technique is the tester that calculates via a conductivity calculation. Gemini or AuRACLE are such tests. So now all you need is a willing participant to take their 16622 bezel to a Gold/Platinum buyer to test the outer ring alone. Any takers?

BTW, the bezel ring would need to be separated from the insert otherwise the insert (which we all agree is platinum) will change the conductivity analysis. So even the simplest tester would run a risk of damage.

Old 8 March 2018, 11:37 PM   #20
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
So following your logic we assume the 16622 outer ring is platinum although there's no hallmark?

Well, you know what they say about the word “assume”...

My top of mind analysis is this: the one-time YG bezel validation step didn’t provide any logic. Nor did it offer circumstantial evidence. There simply wasn’t any hallmarks on the very thin YG bezel outer ring.

After that step provided no evidence, I reached out to a watch parts reseller. He breaks down perished watches to build inventory. (As some of you know, the synergy is the parts are sometimes worth more than the whole watch once the movement is ruined for some reason). Here is what he said:

“I've never seen a hallmark on YM, GMT, or Sub PM bezel surrounds. DJ bezels will have them after 1980-ish but there's a much larger flat area for the hallmark. I measured the largest flat area (of the YG YM bezel) - is 0.80mm wide.”

His point was the hallmark wouldn’t fit on the ring itself.

Remember, over the years Rolex has changed marking or not marking certain parts. So again this isn’t a certainty.

Conclusion:
For me that leaves my original Statement standing on one leg - i.e., my watchmaker’s observation. In other words, Not 100%...

It didn’t prove the opposite either; therefore, “If a YG YM bezel isn’t hallmarked then the point is left to the Rolex descriptor” is my only conclusion. Proof is left to another day when someone has just the 16622 bezel ring alone tested.

I’m betting on Jocke!!!

Old 9 March 2018, 02:00 AM   #21
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Jocke did have pics of a 16622 that was run over by a lawn mower or something. That would be a perfect piece to have tested.
Old 9 March 2018, 02:11 AM   #22
Londonboy
"TRF" Member

Circumstantial - when the 116622 version came out Rolex themselves mentioned that on this version the whole bezel is platinum - not just the insert. Which could lead people to presume (somewhat obviously) that on the older 16622 model it was just the insert that was platinum
Londonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:09 AM   #23
TXT
"TRF" Member

If the bezel part 313-16622 is used for both 16622 and 116622, doesn’t that confirm both models have identical bezels? I assumed that Rolesium was a way Rolex marketed platinum and 904L steel combined, which was a platinum insert welded on top of the stainless steel ring. But when Jocke weighed the bezels of both the 16622 and Sub showing a 6g difference, seem like the ring was not stainless steel (unless the insert was that much heavier on the 16622 vs the Sub)?
TXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:47 AM   #24
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr35mm View Post
I got mine quoted a while back it was about 2k for the bezel only. Most of the time the bezel doesn't need to be replaced, only when its heavily damaged. The thing is, it can't be polished, its sand blasted and very few RSCs have the proper equipment to do so, best bet is to have it shipped to Rolex HQ.
whoa $2k?
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:10 AM   #25
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
It is around 2300CHF for the 16662 and 2800CHF for the 116662 Platinum bezel.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:28 AM   #26
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I bet several K
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:32 AM   #27
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
It is around 2300CHF for the 16662 and 2800CHF for the 116662 Platinum bezel.
Always happy to see the original currency
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:57 AM   #28
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Always happy to see the original currency
It it always good to use correct currency. 🤣🤣

Old 12 July 2020, 04:59 AM   #29
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
It it always good to use correct currency.

Hey Jocke so its the 16622 bezel Plat or not? Not conclusive what is stated above, think you said somewhere it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 05:53 AM   #30
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Hey Jocke so its the 16622 bezel Plat or not? Not conclusive what is stated above, think you said somewhere it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I send a letter to Rolex maybe 20 years ago and ask about the bezel, I ask if it was made of steel or Paltinum and what it weight.
One day I got a call from Rolex and the guy told me the complete bezel is made of Platinum but he will not tell me the weight.
That is the only proof I have for this, my word. I guess they don't want to send me the answer in a letter because maybe then
it will be posted on the net.