The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 May 2023, 01:27 PM   #1
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Tudor Oyster Prince Jumbo - Any Experts?

I have recently taken interest in the Tudor Jumbo watches, I know someone who has what I believe to be a reference 90800 and it fit my wrist really nicely. The 38mm case is what appeals to me with these. I understand there are different versions, some with fluted bezels, some with gold, etc. I am hoping to find a steel only version with either smooth or fluted bezel, which I will likely wear on a leather strap. I love the idea of a semi vintage piece that I can wear as part of my collection.

Any advice on which references to look for or avoid?

Any ideas on how to source a good one, and what to look for?

I have checked Chrono24 and there aren't many options (but I may not have the right reference numbers to search for).

If you have one of these I would love to see some photos and hear about your experience with it. Thanks in advance!

Photo taken from the web, but something like this would fit the bill just perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TUDOR.jpg (221.0 KB, 305 views)
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 03:57 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

They are a fantastic size. The 2mm makes a real difference. They feel really modern, particularly those with smooth bezel. I have a Date-Date reference 7017 which is great. Almost like a stealth 1803. I wear mine on nato or leather but bought with bracelet. I don’t think there’s any reference to avoid, buy whatever you like. I’m not a fan of the two-tone models. The date models are great value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F8829622-4BCB-4EB5-942F-3AD67CF6E0BE.jpeg (227.1 KB, 295 views)
Old 15 May 2023, 11:42 PM   #3
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

I have a grey dial jumbo, and it’s really a fantastic size. I wush they had sold datejusts in this size.

I’ll look for my old pictures showing different oyster cases side by side
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2023, 11:50 PM   #4
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Found the pics. These show the difference between the oyster cases in 31mm 34mm 36mm 38mm and 40mm

Old 16 May 2023, 12:43 AM   #5
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
They are a fantastic size. The 2mm makes a real difference. They feel really modern, particularly those with smooth bezel. I have a Date-Date reference 7017 which is great. Almost like a stealth 1803. I wear mine on nato or leather but bought with bracelet. I don’t think there’s any reference to avoid, buy whatever you like. I’m not a fan of the two-tone models. The date models are great value.
That's a great looking watch, thanks for posting. I didn't realize there was also a day/date version.
Old 16 May 2023, 12:44 AM   #6
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
I have a grey dial jumbo, and it’s really a fantastic size. I wush they had sold datejusts in this size.

Wow, I'd only seen the jumbo come up for sale on a strap–it's perfect on Oyster!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2023, 12:53 AM   #7
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Found the pics. These show the difference between the oyster cases in 31mm 34mm 36mm 38mm and 40mm
The 38mm looks significantly larger than the 36mm Datejust. Great photo.
Old 16 May 2023, 04:08 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
The 38mm looks significantly larger than the 36mm Datejust. Great photo.
It wears much bigger too.
Old 16 May 2023, 04:09 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s a stunning dial. Was it black originally?
Old 17 May 2023, 01:07 AM   #10
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
That’s a stunning dial. Was it black originally?

No, it’s really a grey dial and can look a little darker/lighter as the light hits it

Old 3 April 2024, 02:24 PM   #11
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

I'm looking for these as well, wondering about their lug to lug and case thickness, aside from the 38mm. Are the different references all the same size still, as far as smooth vs fluted bezel, date day vs regular date only etc.
Ave7is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 02:41 PM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

This is my blue 7020 Date-Day with dive bezel.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 07:09 PM   #13
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave7is View Post
I'm looking for these as well, wondering about their lug to lug and case thickness, aside from the 38mm. Are the different references all the same size still, as far as smooth vs fluted bezel, date day vs regular date only etc.
Yes all are same case size (sometimes mixed up with the Rolex Milgauss which has same case size, but different shape/lug profile).

There are about 12-15 types if you include steel/steel gold/gold/ various bezel types and 4 or so dial types (some swiss, some -swiss-, btw.

Type in Jumbo Tudor to C24,Google and eBay and you'll be able to dive into the various sorts.

They are all 20mm lug and most came with a 7836 bracelet - these are £800-1000 of course so many bracelets long gone to adorn 1675/1655/5513 etc hence many on leather straps etc.

While only 38mm they do wear very big (more like a 40mm and much bigger than a 38mm 9101/9121/911) as thinnish bezel, small low angle rehaut and very wide plexi glass area, so make sure you try on
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 09:41 PM   #14
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Yes all are same case size (sometimes mixed up with the Rolex Milgauss which has same case size, but different shape/lug profile).

There are about 12-15 types if you include steel/steel gold/gold/ various bezel types and 4 or so dial types (some swiss, some -swiss-, btw.

Type in Jumbo Tudor to C24,Google and eBay and you'll be able to dive into the various sorts.

They are all 20mm lug and most came with a 7836 bracelet - these are £800-1000 of course so many bracelets long gone to adorn 1675/1655/5513 etc hence many on leather straps etc.

While only 38mm they do wear very big (more like a 40mm and much bigger than a 38mm 9101/9121/911) as thinnish bezel, small low angle rehaut and very wide plexi glass area, so make sure you try on
Someone was kind enough to measure for me and yes looks like with a 48mm lug to lug it’s pretty chunky, similar to the large Datejust. While most of my size 38 watches have lug to lug about 44-45, a noticeable difference when on wrist.

Is there another model you can recommend that’s 38 but isn’t as big. I have a Tudor Style and Royal which are 38 but slimmer case at 10mm vs 12mm. As well as thinner lug to lug 44-45. So I was hoping the Jumbo Prince was same, but I guess it’s bigger other than diameter. Any other Tudor you know at 38. Or another similar watch / price. Thanks
Ave7is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2024, 09:54 PM   #15
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes I love the Integrale 38mm 9101/9111/9121/9130/9140 from £2000.

Here's a link to a few:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=936331

Rgds
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2024, 06:28 AM   #16
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
Really fancy a jumbo day-date with the grey dial - seem like fantastic value at the moment!