The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Omega... to Co-Axial or not to Co-Axial?

Hey all,

Just wanted a few expert opinions on the Omega Co-Axial. I have had many differeing opinions on why this movement is better and worse and have heard of the problems with the initial run... but what do you think?

I know this movement is already replacing the old reliable in a few Omega lines and in turn increasing their prices dramatically!

So ho many out there own one and what is your review? Is it really worth the $$$???

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 04:39 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Yes, the co-axial movement is a vast improvement over the others in their line-up. Definitely worth the extra $$$.

I had an Aqua Terra which was very accurate. Also the PO has been fitted with the co-axial movement....amazing accuracy.

Go for it!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2006, 09:48 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted a few expert opinions on the Omega Co-Axial. I have had many differeing opinions on why this movement is better and worse and have heard of the problems with the initial run... but what do you think?

I know this movement is already replacing the old reliable in a few Omega lines and in turn increasing their prices dramatically!

So ho many out there own one and what is your review? Is it really worth the $$$???

Myself quite a fan of the CO-Axial movement have a Omega Aqua Terra white dial a very accurate well put together watch.Omega did have some tolerance problems in the early days (the impulse jewel on the lever would sometimes hit the crossings of the escape wheel). They also had a problem with an incorrect setting on the lubrication machine used during assembly, which led to over oiling the escape wheel on some movements. In use, the oil would creep down to the pinion and onto the intermediate wheel.All these problems have been addressed and all because Omega would not heed the advice of George Daniels.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2006, 02:28 AM   #4
haakon59
"TRF" Member

So far the co-axial escapement in Omega's new movements seems to be doing it's job. Many report higher accuracy and we have yet to find out if Mr. Daniel's innovation will also create longer service intervals, it's just not been out on the market long enough. So far so good, I would say. There have been a few minor hiccup's along the way but these have been addressed (I don't know of any manufacturing process that works perfectly without need of adjustment at some point). The new escapement was designed theoretically to deliver higher accuracy over time and a movement that functions better with fewer service intervals. So far, it looks pretty good that it will accomplish this and Omega is obviously committed to it as they continue to offer an even greater selection of models with the co-axial.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2006, 04:09 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
So far the co-axial escapement in Omega's new movements seems to be doing it's job. Many report higher accuracy and we have yet to find out if Mr. Daniel's innovation will also create longer service intervals, it's just not been out on the market long enough. So far so good, I would say. There have been a few minor hiccup's along the way but these have been addressed (I don't know of any manufacturing process that works perfectly without need of adjustment at some point). The new escapement was designed theoretically to deliver higher accuracy over time and a movement that functions better with fewer service intervals. So far, it looks pretty good that it will accomplish this and Omega is obviously committed to it as they continue to offer an even greater selection of models with the co-axial.
Well its been available to the market for 20 plus years Goerge Daniels had attempted to introduce his escapement to the Swiss industry.Omega,Patek,Piguet,Zenith and even Rolex had prototypes in 1986 and 1989. There are many reasons why these companies entertained Daniels and many reasons why they decided to pass on the escapement. It seems to me that in the main it was an issue of expense to retool and develop the escapement for already built series and that it was an unknown quantity, which was made in one-offs for the connoisseur,to try.Now the escapement needed to be oiled correctly to work 100% and many of the watch industry did not follow Daniels instructions to the letter,most did not follow his advice for the VPH (vibrations per hour).Now when Patek decided to try his escapement three wristwatch sized prototypes were made. The drawings were discussed and Daniels saw one big stumbling block, the proportion of the extra driving wheel. Patek rejected his notion, even in the face of Daniels working,the Patek provided movement prototype.By 1982 his prototype was cased and dialled from the Patek factory. He says he gave the watch daily use for twelve years, when the self winding mechanism failed.Properly form lack of maintenance It was not serviced to test the effectiveness of the escapement over a ten year period. The Daniels escapement functioned perfectly.The Patek analysis was quite critical and the prime fault was in the gears, which Daniels had mentioned at the beginning of the project.

So why is the Daniels escapement not used in many of the high end
watch houses.Well IMO I imagine it may have been as simple as "Not Swiss Made." or may turn out to be too complicated to make on a mass production scale or re-tool machines in-house?.But now Omega for one, plus a few more have made it work to a very high standard indeed.

Now today when you think of the humble wrist watch,basically changing little since John Harrison's days.With tweaks to the basic escapement over 250 years.I wonder what would have happened if Daniels was alive in Harrison's days.Well for me Daniels escapement must be one of the horological breakthroughs of the century.But the mighty Swiss took little notice of his new idea.You must ask yourself why IMHO the main reason not Swiss idea.But lets remember 30 plus years ago when the Japanese,took on the Swiss.And almost destroyed the complete Swiss watch industry with the heretic quartz.And in many cases these Japanese mechanical watches,were equal in most cases with better accuracy, and product finish to equal any.

But the mighty Swiss did little in reply,a bit like the once powerful British motor bike industry now gone,now dominated by the Japanese.But the swiss industry survived but horological speaking has not done a lot over the past 20 odd years.Must admit some of the watches being produced today.Are bloody awful and ugly some seems to me have lost the plot completely.With innovations like lets put four Toubillons in a wrist watch and other totally IMO unneeded complications, which only the chosen few could ever afford.

Now these complication why, I suppose horological speaking are a watchmakers art.In real terms add little to the watch,except perhaps owning something that costs mega bucks which is fine.But don't think these types of watches are owned by real watch enthusiasts.Now with Rolex, I admire Hans a great man who ceased every opportunity,every new idea,and acquired it for his firm.Now the name Rolex must be the on top of the pile.But over the many years I have loved all watches I sometimes ask myself do some wear a watch, or a just the name.

I hope George Daniels escapement will find its way into the Swiss watch industry.And tweaked over the next 200 years again IMO the Daniels escapement horological speaking is far to important to let slip by.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

One tip from me.

Buy second hand from a reliable source and pay less than half of RRP. The hit I took on my Omega Coax Chrono was painful even with 25% discount at AD.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:31 PM   #7
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Thanx gentlemen... that is exactly why I always ask here to get the complete opinion rather than anywhere else!

Padi thanx for the in depth and informative story of the esapement, basically when I asked elsewhere I was told "best ever made" or "piece of crap" but with out any real information or explanation.

I have pulled the trigger on a traditional SMP electric blue w/ SS, the price was right and it was the same guy who sold me my SMP Chrono. I will post some pics once it has arrived... I guess I'm just more comfortable with the tried and true classic work horse movement of the SMP, but I can see myself owning a co-axial in the near future... especially once the Co-axial Chronograph is released next year!

Here a teaser pic sent to me from the seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue_SMP3.jpg (101.8 KB, 85 views)

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2006, 04:56 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
One tip from me.

Buy second hand from a reliable source and pay less than half of RRP. The hit I took on my Omega Coax Chrono was painful even with 25% discount at AD.
Agreed!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote