The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 October 2019, 02:41 AM   #1
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Icon20 INCOMING...The Hublot Classic Fusion Ferrari GT (Review)

So here’s the backstory behind getting this piece.
Currently, I have 2 stainless steel bracelet watches, a Sub 114060 and a Black Daytona 116520. Pretty much up in Rolex Alley, so I’m pretty done with getting Rolexes.

I was really looking for a rubber strap sport watch, one that could give me a little change from the typical bracelet look and feel.

For a year, I have been on the sub AP Forums, just admiring and also enquiring information on various pieces to narrow down my choices (thanks forum members!), and yes by default AP was the go to brand for rubber strap watches. However, after much enquiring and trying on multiple pieces, AP just didn’t excite me that much, from the Royal Oaks, Roc to the Offshore pieces. Don’t get me wrong, they all looked wonderful, however they didn’t impress/excite me much on the design and uniqueness.

So something caught my attention during this year’s Baselworld 2019, It was Hublot, and in particular the Hublot Classic Fusion Ferrari GT. The overall design of the watch was what drew me to it, and to top it off, the watch was designed by Flavio Manzoni and his design team from Ferrari. It was just different, so different from the typical Hublot design.
So I went to my local Hublot AD when it was available, and boy oh boy, when I tried on it in the flesh, I was immediately sold, photos don’t do it any justice. From the design to the comfort of wearing it, I was smitten and acquired it.

So here's a review of the watch in my opinion.
Disclaimer: I know there’s tons of Hublot haters out there, I get it, It’s not your typical long historical brand, but one thing’s for sure, they sure do know how to make bold design moves, I believe they are one of the most interesting watch makers out there bold enough to always be introducing new design elements to their watches.

Dial
Beautifully skeletonized, with the Arabic numerals popping out. The subtle Ferrari Prancing Horse logo blends in well with the skeletonize design of the dial. In real life, the dial pops up way much more, it’s very 3D looking. I believe since there is no bezel to surround the dial, this trait puts a bigger emphasis on the dial, popping it up even more.

Lume
Surprisingly, they lumed up the small plots on the seconds and chronographs counters.

The Case
Made out of Titanium, the watch was really light and had a nice overall weight on the wrist. Although it’s a 45mm, it wears slimmer due to the lugs.
What stood out to me the most, is the design of the hooded lugs, along with the pushers and crown area. The hooded lugs gave the case more depth, this complemented the design of the pushers and the crown area. Those curves and overlays looked so simple, yet so elegant in design.
The red pusher, outstanding as it is, gives the watch a little twist and attention, and you can see a little inspiration from Ferrari Cars, the red obnoxious start engine button.

The crown, yes the Ferrari prancing horse will always be facing upwards, the crown has a cache that locks the crown up when pushed/turned at a certain position ensuring the Ferrari Logo to always be upright.(You get it when toying with one)

Overall I loved what they did with the whole case, no plastic mid plate separating the bezel from the case(like all other Hublot watches), the dial itself is elegantly suspended on the case.

Strap
One of the most comfortable leather strap I have ever worn, it’s definitely due to the combination of the inner part being rubber and the outer leather. Oh, it’s not just any leather, it’s Schedoni leather for this bad boy, the leather used in Ferrari Cars. I guess, this counts it off as a rubber strap watch

The Clasp
Definitely made differently from all other Hublot classic fusion watches, it’s curved design makes it more high end and modern, it’s entirely made out of titanium as well.
Important note: I know many of you have tried on the Hublot Big Bang Unico models with the detachable strap, the clasp on those really do dig into the wrist after awhile. However, for this model, it’s super comfortable. So if you are out there looking to own a Hublot Unico movement time piece that is finally comfortable, it’s right here folks.

Movement
What can I say, the new sized down version of the Unico HUB1280 flyback chronograph movement, 72 hours power reserve, flyback chronograph, the smooth chronograph push, beautifully designed back movement with the Ferrari logo on the centre of the oscillating disc, column wheel displayed on the front of the dial, Give me a break!

Overall
On the wrist, it feels great and sits low.
I really like what they did with the design of the case and the whole integration of the newly sized down Unico movement. The curves of the watch made it so un-Hublot but at the same retaining the Hublot tradition of innovation and fusion. Images really do not do any justice to the watch, in-person this watch is much more impressive and elegant.

Thanks for reading!
PS: It's my first time writing a watch review, I hope it's detailed enough for you guys to read and even go try one :)
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 04:13 AM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

Spectacular review, pics and watch!

There’s so much hate on Hublot. I (still) don’t get it.

The SoBB in 42mm is nice. I tried one on earlier this year. It fits nice on my skinny 6.5” wrist. This one has been on my radar:

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection...-big-bang-blue
Old 6 October 2019, 05:53 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

Beautiful piece. Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
That’s a cool watch. Wear it in good health, and don’t let haters change your mind on this watch, because it’s dope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 10:23 AM   #5
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Looks wonderful.

Haters gon hate. You don't have to justify the purchase. There is more to life than yet another black dial Rolex that almost everyone has. Lol.
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Noak
"TRF" Member

Great review and pics. Well done!

Noak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 01:04 PM   #7
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

Very cool watch. Totally unique, I love the case shape.
bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 01:22 PM   #8
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Nice timepiece and review but do you or have you had a Ferrari?
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 01:29 PM   #9
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
That’s a cool watch. Wear it in good health, and don’t let haters change your mind on this watch, because it’s dope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
Congrats. Looks wonderful.

Haters gon hate. You don't have to justify the purchase. There is more to life than yet another black dial Rolex that almost everyone has. Lol.
thanks guys! Yea, definitely, that's why I was very excited to post this Incoming/review on this forum, I don't see alot of Hublot incomings, so I was hoping this might change that. Pretty sure Hublot would be coming out more interesting watches in the years to come, and more of it would appear here :)
Old 6 October 2019, 01:31 PM   #10
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Nice timepiece and review but do you or have you had a Ferrari?
I have a Ferrari Enzo Tomy Car, if that counts
Old 6 October 2019, 01:41 PM   #11
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Beautiful piece. Congratulations
thanks mate
Old 6 October 2019, 01:45 PM   #12
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Spectacular review, pics and watch!

There’s so much hate on Hublot. I (still) don’t get it.

The SoBB in 42mm is nice. I tried one on earlier this year. It fits nice on my skinny 6.5” wrist. This one has been on my radar:

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection...-big-bang-blue
thanks mate! Yea, precisely, I still think at the end of the day, the watches have to speak to you, regardless of the brand and value. Buy a watch you like and not what it's perceived by the public. Loving the sapphire SoBB
The recent Moon Phase SoBB looks really cool too.
Old 6 October 2019, 01:46 PM   #13
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

A quick update that recently happened on our tiny island Singapore this weekend.

The legend himself Jean Claude Biver was here for the Patek Exhibition and dropped by the local Hublot AD for an informal GTG.

Not everyday you are able to get a wrist shot with Mr Biver

What an honour to finally meet him in the flesh, and so much respect for what he has done for the watch industry. A true legend.
Old 6 October 2019, 02:07 PM   #14
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotiprata View Post
A quick update that recently happened on our tiny island Singapore this weekend.

The legend himself Jean Claude Biver was here for the Patek Exhibition and dropped by the local Hublot AD for an informal GTG.

Not everyday you are able to get a wrist shot with Mr Biver

What an honour to finally meet him in the flesh, and so much respect for what he has done for the watch industry. A true legend.

That’s really cool you got to meet him. A legend for sure

Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 04:23 PM   #15
Hank
"TRF" Member

That’s one of the best looking Hublots I’ve seen so far. Congrats!

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 05:16 PM   #16
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
That’s one of the best looking Hublots I’ve seen so far. Congrats!
X2
It’s certainly a unique design of their own.
I do fancy a spirit of Big Bang for myself in the future.

Huge congratulations!
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 05:51 PM   #17
TJMike
Banned

Congratulations!
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
Congratulations on the new watch. Looked like a great time getting to meet the living legend.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:45 PM   #19
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. This is an attractive watch no doubt, it caught my eye too upon release.

From the early Big Bangs with a mix of metals, rubber etc Hublot have always stood out.

Enjoy it. And who gives a &$<£ what anyone else thinks.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 05:05 AM   #20
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Congratulations! Have been going back and forth on a Hublot model or two for myself for a while now - don't understand all the downward looks on the brand when they do some pretty interesting things in my opinion.

Looks great on you! Will probably end up with a Ferrari Big Bang myself. The one with the carbon ceramic bezel nicely matches my brake rotors :)
Old 7 October 2019, 05:38 AM   #21
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotiprata View Post
thanks mate! Yea, precisely, I still think at the end of the day, the watches have to speak to you, regardless of the brand and value. Buy a watch you like and not what it's perceived by the public. Loving the sapphire SoBB
The recent Moon Phase SoBB looks really cool too.
The sapphire SoBB is really nice, but out of my league.

The SoBB Blue in the link I posted above is cool and unique. Being that I love RM and don’t want to outlay the big $ for one, this one is a great alternative
Old 7 October 2019, 05:33 PM   #22
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Breathtaking! Congrats and wear in good health. I personally only have one Hublot. I own the sapphire unico.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big bang , classic fusion , ferrari gt , ferrari unico , hublot