The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2018, 11:31 AM   #91
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I get it if you don’t like it, but you really don’t understand it? The GMT II is an icon and one of the most popular GMT watches on the planet. The color black is the color black so it goes with everything and I’m assuming the most popular color for a watch. In regards to blue, it’s safe to say blue is likely the most popular primary color. Most think the two colors look great together. My question is why didn’t Rolex come out with this combo sooner? To each his own and thank God we all don’t like the same things. What a boring world it would be.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:52 AM   #92
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
I get it if you don’t like it, but you really don’t understand it? The GMT II is an icon and one of the most popular GMT watches on the planet. The color black is the color black so it goes with everything and I’m assuming the most popular color for a watch. In regards to blue, it’s safe to say blue is likely the most popular primary color. Most think the two colors look great together. My question is why didn’t Rolex come out with this combo sooner? To each his own and thank God we all don’t like the same things. What a boring world it would be.
Read again. I didn't say I didn't like it, nor did I said I didn't understand its function. I said I didn't understand its popularity...and wanted other's take on it.

I agree blue and black look good together as just last week I bought the 126660 James Cameron reference.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 12:01 PM   #93
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.S View Post
I don't either...

Personally it's a very dull watch with a pointless GMT feature.
I mean who needs a GMT feature really? We all have mobile(cell) phones.
You need to know local time... also... who cant plus/minus x hours?

The point of a watch in this day and age is jewellery plus convenient time checking. Anything that makes that harder to achieve is just pointless. Busy watches, 4th hand for no reason. Not my taste at all. I also majorly dislike the Daytona...

But again that's my taste.

I even don't like the Rolex Submariner, far too ubiquitous for my taste. Although, I will say the Kermit/Hulk do hold a special place. There the only variety of Submariner I would touch.

I'm a DJ man... or a Cellini

But this is my opinion. I fully accept not everyone agree's with that, and some people love them. But that is why Rolex make lots of watches...

Based on your logic I don’t understand why you would buy a mechanical watch at all if you think watches are merely jewelry that you can also check the time with in a pinch. I completely agree a mechanical watch is an anachronism but it’s also a feat of craftsmanship and in the GMT Master II case a continuation of rich heritage. So if I am understanding you correctly you must be wearing a Rolex solely because it’s show of wealth since there are plenty of way cheaper watches that meet your criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 12:47 PM   #94
J.W.S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Based on your logic I don’t understand why you would buy a mechanical watch at all if you think watches are merely jewelry that you can also check the time with in a pinch. I completely agree a mechanical watch is an anachronism but it’s also a feat of craftsmanship and in the GMT Master II case a continuation of rich heritage. So if I am understanding you correctly you must be wearing a Rolex solely because it’s show of wealth since there are plenty of way cheaper watches that meet your criteria.
Feat of engineering do not include GMT hands. This where we disagree, it isn't a complicated movement whatsoever. (its an extra gear wheel)

Nor was it when Rolex first created it either.
Rolex are not pioneers... they take what exists and improve it / make it marketable and ultimately profitable. Leave ingenuity (complications) to JLC...

HW was a very shrewd businessman, whom I respect immensely.

I don't wear my Rolex to show off my wealth (to do so, is quite uncouth imo). I only own a DJ and a Day-Date (WG) as they're both quite low key. But inevitably that does happen with the brand. To me that's one of the biggest shortcomings of the brand. Quite often I'll happily put on my JLC/VC/Patek as I do not want brand recognition. Why do I like Rolex? It's their simplicity... I have very complicated watches... Rolex are simple movements. Simple means reliable... It's nice to have a watch or two in your collection that you know will just work. You could call my Rolex's my beaters... in a way. I never worry about their waterproofing, getting them wet washing my hands etc. Totally different when you're wearing £500-600 leather straps that react to moisture quite poorly... I like my Rolex's because they're sturdy... can take a few knocks. I've smashed my day-date into a wall (drunk) and I scratched the case... but had that been another watch. I'm almost positive it wouldn't have survived.

I've had problems with two of my Pateks... one of my JLC's...
My DateJust was my fathers... it's 20 odd years old and still runs like a dream. Never been serviced... If I left one of my more complicated movements that long... I'm almost positive they wouldn't work.

As for why I'm not running a Quartz / Super Thermal-compensated quartz?... Well I'm a fan of mechanical watches. That's my taste. I love the simplicity, and yet complexity of some movements. I like not having to rely on a battery.
But even this logic is flawed... as I have to rely on getting them serviced etc...

Ultimately it's just a question of taste. There is no right or wrong. These are antiquated devices and I'm sure we all appreciate that. When you buy a watch like this... it's not based in logic. It's based on emotion and what that watch means to you.
For me... it conjures memories of my father. That's why I will always own a Rolex.
J.W.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 02:17 PM   #95
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the popularity of the BLNR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.S View Post
Feat of engineering do not include GMT hands. This where we disagree, it isn't a complicated movement whatsoever. (its an extra gear wheel)

Nor was it when Rolex first created it either.
Rolex are not pioneers... they take what exists and improve it / make it marketable and ultimately profitable. Leave ingenuity (complications) to JLC...

HW was a very shrewd businessman, whom I respect immensely.

I don't wear my Rolex to show off my wealth (to do so, is quite uncouth imo). I only own a DJ and a Day-Date (WG) as they're both quite low key. But inevitably that does happen with the brand. To me that's one of the biggest shortcomings of the brand. Quite often I'll happily put on my JLC/VC/Patek as I do not want brand recognition. Why do I like Rolex? It's their simplicity... I have very complicated watches... Rolex are simple movements. Simple means reliable... It's nice to have a watch or two in your collection that you know will just work. You could call my Rolex's my beaters... in a way. I never worry about their waterproofing, getting them wet washing my hands etc. Totally different when you're wearing £500-600 leather straps that react to moisture quite poorly... I like my Rolex's because they're sturdy... can take a few knocks. I've smashed my day-date into a wall (drunk) and I scratched the case... but had that been another watch. I'm almost positive it wouldn't have survived.

I've had problems with two of my Pateks... one of my JLC's...
My DateJust was my fathers... it's 20 odd years old and still runs like a dream. Never been serviced... If I left one of my more complicated movements that long... I'm almost positive they wouldn't work.

As for why I'm not running a Quartz / Super Thermal-compensated quartz?... Well I'm a fan of mechanical watches. That's my taste. I love the simplicity, and yet complexity of some movements. I like not having to rely on a battery.
But even this logic is flawed... as I have to rely on getting them serviced etc...

Ultimately it's just a question of taste. There is no right or wrong. These are antiquated devices and I'm sure we all appreciate that. When you buy a watch like this... it's not based in logic. It's based on emotion and what that watch means to you.
For me... it conjures memories of my father. That's why I will always own a Rolex.

I would agree with most of what you have to say here but with a few caveats.

First, I was arguing that the GMT Master II, not the GMT complication, was a continuation of Rolex heritage (not a feat of engineering). I like watches that were built for a purpose, regardless of whether that purpose is still relevant in this day and age. My comment of craftsmanship was related to the merits of mechanical watches in general, which we seem to be on the same page about. I am also confused to why you own a Day Date if superfluous complications are such a point of contention. I would hope you wouldn’t need to reach for your smartphone to remember the day of the week.

Second, I completely agree with you about the biggest merit of the Rolex brand being reliability. However, I disagree when you say they are not pioneers. Being a pioneer in watchmaking isn’t confined to ingenuity of complications in my opinion. Rolex has set the standard of quality and consistency so much so that I would imagine if you polled every serious aficionado which watch they would choose if they could only have one that needed to last them the rest of their lives I would imagine Rolex would most likely be at the top of the list. To me that’s pioneering.

Ultimately I agree with you that it is all just a matter of taste. Owning a watch because it reminds you of your Dad is the best reason of all and one I can only hope that will be said by my sons one day.

Cheers

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 02:38 PM   #96
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Read again. I didn't say I didn't like it, nor did I said I didn't understand its function. I said I didn't understand its popularity...and wanted other's take on it.

I agree blue and black look good together as just last week I bought the 126660 James Cameron reference.

Read again. I didn’t say you didn’t understand it’s function. You asked forum members what they find appealing about the BLNR because you “don’t understand the popularity” along with a few possible reasons why you don’t find it appealing. I gave you four fairly obvious reasons to assist in your understanding of it’s popularity besides the GMT complication since we all know the purpose of that complication in this forum. Not sure what kind of responses you’re looking for from forum members. I don’t like blackened ahi. Excuse me, I don’t find it appealing. Not sure if it’s the taste, texture, spice, a combination of the three, or what. I love it seared and grilled, but blackened doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t like it. That being said, I’ll bet dollars to donuts that people who do like......excuse me again.....find blackened ahi appealing and choose to eat it choose it for many or all of the reasons I don’t. Again, not sure what kind of responses you’re looking for from forum members.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 07:04 PM   #97
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Because Blue is the favorite color of almost everybody.
any link where this is from? i would assume black or white would be popular too, but it's not on this chart
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 10:45 PM   #98
timedate
-

disliking the batman would be similar to disliking a black gmt, pepsi, or a sub hulk, or a rootbeer,

nothing to really dislike, just colour preferences, i like all colours,

black gmt or sub aside, the batman is the least garish of all if you think about it.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 04:56 AM   #99
mikenuguy
"TRF" Member

I loved the BLNR in pictures but when I tried it on the blue didn't quite pop as much as I had hoped - at least to command the original asking price before the Pepsi dropped. I'm guessing the secure investment side of the purchase probably bumps the love up for a few people at least.
mikenuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 05:33 AM   #100
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
It is a beautiful and special watch.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 05:44 AM   #101
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I had an LN and sold it. I also don’t understand the hype of BLNR until I bought one (due to the hype in this forum), it is my favorite watch in my small collection.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 06:50 AM   #102
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
I don't understand the popularity of the BLNR...

I love all Rolex GMT versions for some reason or another. I therefore love the BLNR on the merits of being playful, yet not in your face, trendy, yet classic, it can easily look great with jeans for a day in the sun as well as formal enough to feel at home with a suit. For these reasons I think it appeals to a variety of people.
Of course being the first bicolor Ceramic bezel , being more elusive ( less available) helps with its popularity.

Having said all that I always return
back to my trusty 116710LN. It’s pure class. Maybe it’s my age, but I love the look of the classical richness of the all black LN. And the splash of that Rolex green makes the world of difference to my eyes.
So my wonderment is how come the LN is not more popular? Logically I understand the reasons. But emotionally when I lay eyes on the LN it’s love all over again for me. It feels like home.

Oh all these stupid watches.... Make my head spin. lol

TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 06:57 AM   #103
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
People like what they like and fortunately we have many thousands of models from which to choose.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:55 AM   #104
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I never much cared for the green accents on the "base" GMT, and I like blue. Boom. My only complaint is that there's no blue text on the dial where the original has green.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 08:03 AM   #105
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Love my Blnr! 2nd time zone and date plus 40mm. So much better to me than Pepsi with the jubilee. Def not a fan which is good for me with current wait and grey prices.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 09:57 AM   #106
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
The reason I don’t care for it is the color of the blue. Far too blue for me. Plus the font of the numerals on the bezel is off putting for me. Too big and fat. Would much much prefer the font Rilex used for the pre ceramic GMTs. Just means more BLNRs for everyone else!
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 10:35 AM   #107
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchEnthusiast View Post
I love all Rolex GMT versions for some reason or another. I therefore love the BLNR on the merits of being playful, yet not in your face, trendy, yet classic, it can easily look great with jeans for a day in the sun as well as formal enough to feel at home with a suit. For these reasons I think it appeals to a variety of people.
Of course being the first bicolor Ceramic bezel , being more elusive ( less available) helps with its popularity.

Having said all that I always return
back to my trusty 116710LN. It’s pure class. Maybe it’s my age, but I love the look of the classical richness of the all black LN. And the splash of that Rolex green makes the world of difference to my eyes.
So my wonderment is how come the LN is not more popular? Logically I understand the reasons. But emotionally when I lay eyes on the LN it’s love all over again for me. It feels like home.

Oh all these stupid watches.... Make my head spin. lol

Awesome collection!! Love that the GMT’s are all synced except the BLNR is off by an hour. You must have been traveling.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 11:14 AM   #108
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
BLNR is a great and nice watch... Very comfy on the wrist
but these insane current prices make it a turn off...

Almost $11K for one that's 3 or 4 years preowned and now
Almost $13K for a new one that's $8950 msrp... Not my money...
$11K for a 4 year old preowned?

Damn, I love my BLNR (that I got in late '14), but if someone offered me $11K for it, I'd have to give it some serious consideration.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 11:37 AM   #109
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Would take an LN over the BLNR as dislike the blue tone of the BLNR. However between an LN and the BLRO would pick the BLRO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 11:38 AM   #110
bjw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me start by saying this thread is not to bash the BLNR. Quite the opposite as I would like to understand what forum members like about this reference and share some of their pics.

For some reason this watch has not appealed to me. Not sure if it's the blue tone of the bezel or the GMT hand, or the PCLs.

Thanks for reading. Have a good weekend...
Thats ok, it appeals to others....
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
bjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:01 PM   #111
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
Awesome collection!! Love that the GMT’s are all synced except the BLNR is off by an hour. You must have been traveling.

Thank you. I actually was!

TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:15 PM   #112
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
The only reason the BLNR is so popular is because so many people want one.

If very few people wanted one, it would be unpopular.

The color combination is very logical when applied to the hours of the day-- black corresponding to the night sky and blue corresponding to the sky in clear daylight.

Another feature of the bezel that I like is the way the blue changes according to the ambient light. It's something that is not apparent in photographs or even in display lighting, but it is very apparent in continuous use.

Still, as popular as the BLNR is, it is not a watch that one is likely to encounter in one's normal comings and goings.

I have never seen another one in Albuquerque, which admittedly is no megalopolis.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 12:28 PM   #113
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
Read again. I didn’t say you didn’t understand it’s function. You asked forum members what they find appealing about the BLNR because you “don’t understand the popularity” along with a few possible reasons why you don’t find it appealing. I gave you four fairly obvious reasons to assist in your understanding of it’s popularity besides the GMT complication since we all know the purpose of that complication in this forum. Not sure what kind of responses you’re looking for from forum members. I don’t like blackened ahi. Excuse me, I don’t find it appealing. Not sure if it’s the taste, texture, spice, a combination of the three, or what. I love it seared and grilled, but blackened doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t like it. That being said, I’ll bet dollars to donuts that people who do like......excuse me again.....find blackened ahi appealing and choose to eat it choose it for many or all of the reasons I don’t. Again, not sure what kind of responses you’re looking for from forum members.
Sometimes people talk just to hear themselves talk. Thank for for comparing it to your dislike of blackened ahi. Good chuckle.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:24 PM   #114
reed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me start by saying this thread is not to bash the BLNR. Quite the opposite as I would like to understand what forum members like about this reference and share some of their pics.

For some reason this watch has not appealed to me. Not sure if it's the blue tone of the bezel or the GMT hand, or the PCLs.

Thanks for reading. Have a good weekend...
1. The design of the watch really speaks to me. Just as simple as that. I love the ceramic redesign, bold numbers, it has a lot of presence and the blue and black really go well together.

2. The GMT function itself. I use it, but of course I could do without it. However, back to 1.: even if I didn't use the GMT function at all, I would still go for the BLNR just for the looks.

3. Blue is one of my favorite colors. It adds a splash a color to the watch, but not too much where it gets to be over the top. Blue also indicates the day hours, and the black the night. It makes it easy to read at a glance.

On the other hand, the GMT LN simply doesn't do it for me. It is very personal but the addition of the blue completely tranforms the watch in my eyes.
reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:33 PM   #115
reed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I never liked the black submariner either. But I love the hulk and blnr although same design. Don't ask me why or how
Same here, the black Submariner doesn't cut it for me. Love the Hulk, Smurf although the same design. The GMT Master II LN doesn't speak to me, but I adore the BLRO, BLNR.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:35 PM   #116
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Had it twice. Sold it twice.
Ditto
Old 26 November 2018, 09:19 PM   #117
harvey
"TRF" Member

Apart from a couple of clowns, I appreciate everyone's input.

Guess I will see the appeal of it or not over time. For years I didn't like the 16710 pepsi until Dan Pearce here starting posting his pics with the different bezels and bracelet/strap options...then it was a must have.

Have a good day.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 10:00 PM   #118
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I never much cared for the green accents on the "base" GMT, and I like blue. Boom. My only complaint is that there's no blue text on the dial where the original has green.
I'm like you. The green accents on the black GMT kept me away. If they were red or blue accents, I would have bought one.

I love my BLNR.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 10:52 PM   #119
reed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apart from a couple of clowns, I appreciate everyone's input.

Guess I will see the appeal of it or not over time. For years I didn't like the 16710 pepsi until Dan Pearce here starting posting his pics with the different bezels and bracelet/strap options...then it was a must have.

Have a good day.
Of course there are cases where some watches grow on you. But that must not necessarily happen since lots of people like it. If you're not on the same wavelength with the watch, it may stay like this and it's just fine. The black Sub never clicked with me, and I thought my feelings would change about it since it is such a classic and so many people seem to love it. But it didn't happen and I am not sure it will. To each their own. To me the BLNR
Old 27 November 2018, 12:06 AM   #120
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

To me it is a really striking watch. I do like the bezel and dial, but not a fan of PCLs, although those are not bespoke to the BLNR.

SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710 , 116710blnr , batman , blnr , bruiser , gmt