The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2020, 11:50 AM   #31
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
So how does that work Michael ? On the RM they want you to pay in full? Do they give you a definite delivery date ? Man I would have to think long and hard about forking over 150 grand before I get the piece!
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 11:57 AM   #32
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
So how does that work Michael ? On the RM they want you to pay in full? Do they give you a definite delivery date ? Man I would have to think long and hard about forking over 150 grand before I get the piece!
James. I’m jonathan... ramen boy is Michael :)
He hasn’t gotten on the boat Yet. I got off long ago

Yes You pay and then wait for most people. No you don’t have an exact date. You get a rough date.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 12:56 PM   #33
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Wow Jonathan, you would have to really have a serious want for one to do that. Don’t think I could do that :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:09 PM   #34
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
My friend, a guy that had purchased multiple RM’ s, he was a longtime member here and banned, paid in full, waited for his watch, when it came in they told him if he wanted it he also had to buy a 750K tourbillon so he told them to fuck off and they refunded his money. True story.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:59 PM   #35
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
My friend, a guy that had purchased multiple RM’ s, he was a longtime member here and banned, paid in full, waited for his watch, when it came in they told him if he wanted it he also had to buy a 750K tourbillon so he told them to fuck off and they refunded his money. True story.
Yup- there is no guarantee of delivery even after full payment. Pretty insane
Old 11 January 2020, 02:03 PM   #36
barracuda28
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/RM/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'd have a hard time providing any deposit as I am not in the business of funding ADs or watch manufacturers...

Question to those who have provided a deposit in the past, say on an RM...

Does the money sit in an escrow account, with the AD, or does the AD pass it on straight to the manufacturer? In other words, who has to go under for the customer to lose the deposit?

When i bought my RM35-02 i was requested 100% deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barracuda28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:17 PM   #37
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I would do a 50% deposit on hard to get Pateks but not on that one.

A 100% deposit was required at RM one I inquired about one. I ended buying something else.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:13 PM   #38
martinr
"TRF" Member

So in 2014 I wanted a 5711 blue dial. A reputable local AD said they could get me one in about six months. I gave them a 50% deposit and then about a month later gave them the rest of the money. My sales guy said it would probably get the watch sooner. And the reasoning was he could call Henry Stern and say hey I’ve got a guy that’s paid in full, send me the watch. And he was right. Less than a month later I had the watch. But that was then before all this crazy demand. This was a large big city AD that got lots of watches. And they wanted my future business.
Old 11 January 2020, 05:27 PM   #39
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
If that is true, then what they attempted was extortion, and any 1st year lawyer would’ve had a field day with them.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 10:10 PM   #40
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

No way. Especially if it is open ended on the delivery time. I have never been asked and I have purchased many watches that required a long wait and a special allocation.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:57 AM   #41
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
If that is true, then what they attempted was extortion, and any 1st year lawyer would’ve had a field day with them.
Doubtful, too many ways for them to weasel out of it. No written agreement, limited quantity, no list of buyers in a specific order etc. Better to get the refund and move on.
Old 12 January 2020, 03:25 AM   #42
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
As long as you get word that it is refundable then I am
all for putting down a deposit. If you get tired of waiting then pull your money and move on. This also ties up your funds so you dont buy other crap that would not typically be on your radar. It also shows your commitment to the AD as opposed to asking 5 other ADs and going for the first one that calls You. I put down half on a SS Daytona and received mine 8 months later and 40k on a Rainbow Daytona and it came 18 months later. You plan on spending the money anyway so I think you should go for it and let them know you arent some tire kicker.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 05:03 PM   #43
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
As long as you get word that it is refundable then I am
all for putting down a deposit. If you get tired of waiting then pull your money and move on. This also ties up your funds so you dont buy other crap that would not typically be on your radar. It also shows your commitment to the AD as opposed to asking 5 other ADs and going for the first one that calls You. I put down half on a SS Daytona and received mine 8 months later and 40k on a Rainbow Daytona and it came 18 months later. You plan on spending the money anyway so I think you should go for it and let them know you arent some tire kicker.
You don’t mean that the rbow deposit got the watch allocated to your AD for you. Your AD already wanted to give it to you and fortunately your AD received one. I’m glad it worked out, but if they wanted to give it to a “better” customer you simply would not have been privy to the delivery, and/or would have eventually received a refund when they couldn’t deliver. I get your train of thought more with the Daytona.

Nice pick ups in any case
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:17 PM   #44
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
You don’t mean that the rbow deposit got the watch allocated to your AD for you. Your AD already wanted to give it to you and fortunately your AD received one. I’m glad it worked out, but if they wanted to give it to a “better” customer you simply would not have been privy to the delivery, and/or would have eventually received a refund when they couldn’t deliver. I get your train of thought more with the Daytona.
Nice pick ups in any case
The Rainbow was a scenario that I was lucky the AD received the allocation but it shocks me how many people on the forum are opposed to putting any money down. If you show some commitment and have “skin in the game” so to speak I think that builds trust with an AD but just speaking from experience.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:42 PM   #45
Oz33
"TRF" Member

I called a UK AD yesterday to enquire about a 5524g and was told i needed to place a 50% deposit for delivery after April - wasn’t aware that this was now a hard to get piece, especially as i tried the g and r version at another AD over CHristmas.

Wish i bought it then....hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Oz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 09:59 PM   #46
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz33 View Post
I called a UK AD yesterday to enquire about a 5524g and was told i needed to place a 50% deposit for delivery after April - wasn’t aware that this was now a hard to get piece, especially as i tried the g and r version at another AD over CHristmas.

There are a couple in The Netherlands (so not t far away)
I saw one in Amsterdam at my AD, if you want I can inform for you if it is still there
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:21 PM   #47
Oz33
"TRF" Member

Thanks Pim - i think i should be ok as have managed to find another source.
Oz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 09:14 AM   #48
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz33 View Post

5524 is a watch selling 13-15k under MSRP on the gray market. Just bc one AD didn’t have it and wanted a deposit doesn’t mean anything. It’s easily available
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:17 AM   #49
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
5524 is a watch selling 13-15k under MSRP on the gray market. Just bc one AD didn’t have it and wanted a deposit doesn’t mean anything. It’s easily available
Really? For a new one? Where?
Old 13 January 2020, 10:55 AM   #50
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Really? For a new one? Where?

Chrono24
Old 13 January 2020, 11:45 AM   #51
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
Chrono24
You need better reading glasses. Just checked and all the G prices except one were around 42-47 and higher for new. R prices even higher.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:52 AM   #52
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
You need better reading glasses. Just checked and all the G prices except one were around 42-47 and higher for new. R prices even higher.
Martin I took a quick look... there 101 watches globally. Theres their lowest...
Old 13 January 2020, 12:08 PM   #53
martinr
"TRF" Member

I know but out of 101 that’s three and do they actually have the watch for sale? I’m not trying to argue with the guy that said 12-15 less than msrp but realistically speaking can you actually get the watch BNIB for 12-15 less than MSRP? I doubt it.
Old 13 January 2020, 12:53 PM   #54
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I know but out of 101 that’s three and do they actually have the watch for sale? I’m not trying to argue with the guy that said 12-15 less than msrp but realistically speaking can you actually get the watch BNIB for 12-15 less than MSRP? I doubt it.
I have no idea. Haven’t looked at the 5524 in a bit. My buddy has been offered a 5230G for $25k tho. Not bnib but still insnae
Old 13 January 2020, 01:02 PM   #55
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I have no idea. Haven’t looked at the 5524 in a bit. My buddy has been offered a 5230G for $25k tho. Not bnib but still insnae
Yes that’s a low price. But when you think about what you can get for 25K it would be insane to buy it. I’ve looked at them and they feel cheap and not in a good way. If it didn’t say Patek on the dial nobody would be interested.
Old 13 January 2020, 01:04 PM   #56
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Not BNIB but I bought an excellent condition pre-owned 5524g $33k last month. $37-38k for new seems realistic.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 01:04 PM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Yes that’s a low price. But when you think about what you can get for 25K it would be insane to buy it. I’ve looked at them and they feel cheap and not in a good way. If it didn’t say Patek on the dial nobody would be interested.
You my friend are 100% right. I prefer the plain 5196r over most of the dress line. The 5320G now that’s a sexy beast but not for 85k
Old 13 January 2020, 01:11 PM   #58
martinr
"TRF" Member

5320G is excellent. 85K too much. Sometimes it seems like we have too many choices.
Old 13 January 2020, 01:39 PM   #59
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:

Yes. I’ve bought from the HK dealer selling one of them before. They are legit and have the watch for sale and are trustworthy.
Old 13 January 2020, 01:40 PM   #60
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Not BNIB but I bought an excellent condition pre-owned 5524g $33k last month. $37-38k for new seems realistic.

Where did you get it for 33k?