The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 October 2023, 12:20 PM   #1
mlg6613
"TRF" Member

Hey

Hello everyone!

I’ve been offered a 1969 serial 21… naked day date 1803 in very good conditions but the only ick is that the outer part of the clasp (the oysterclasp) was changed to a steel one and the owner doesn’t find the original part (it was his father’s watch). Everything else including the deployment part is 18k, I’ve seen the watch in person, the hallmarks and 750 and 18k stamps are very visible.

The watch was serviced in a RSC a couple of years ago and it’s running smoothly. They are asking for 9500 slightly negotiable.

It would be my first vintage watch on my collection and I’m very enthusiastic about it. Please I need help with anything any tips for this kind of watch, thank y’all!

Last edited by mlg6613; 15 October 2023 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Help getting my first vintage (1803 white gold Confetti)
mlg6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:42 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

if all legit, 9500 is a very good price from my reading.

Let others chime in.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 02:33 PM   #3
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
I think the price isn’t the problem at all.
I’d be concerned about needing to find the correct 18k buckle/clasp part and getting it repaired without being a headache.
Perhaps you should try to figure out how much it will cost to correct it.
Good luck…
Old 15 October 2023, 05:15 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d buy one with the correct clasp. Might be very difficult or near impossible to source a clasp. Without this it’s a watch head only and as such price is very high considering case looks soft and it being only naked.
Old 15 October 2023, 05:58 PM   #5
sgwatchobsession
"TRF" Member

9500 for a confetti dial head is a good deal imo, it’s a pretty rare dial iteration. Clasp is something that would take awhile to find but to be honest wouldn’t bother me wearing it daily, and just my two cents, if the rest of that bracelet is really WG, should be worth at least a few grand in scrap weight at today’s prices. If you do pass on the offer, I am definitely interested
sgwatchobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 06:09 PM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchobsession View Post
9500 for a confetti dial head is a good deal imo, it’s a pretty rare dial iteration. Clasp is something that would take awhile to find but to be honest wouldn’t bother me wearing it daily, and just my two cents, if the rest of that bracelet is really WG, should be worth at least a few grand in scrap weight at today’s prices. If you do pass on the offer, I am definitely interested
Exactly.

Haven’t seen a 1803 with bracelet even with this clasp issue anywhere close to $9500.
Old 15 October 2023, 06:52 PM   #7
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Looks like it’s in good condition and price is very good. Big crown clasp can be sourced, there is some value in the current clasp that can offset the cost if you go down that route.
Old 16 October 2023, 07:22 AM   #8
mlg6613
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your comments, it helps a lot.

I’m still a bit hesitant about the clasp stuff because I’ve been looking everywhere for that same part but it is pretty hard to find. I really liked the watch, the Spanish day wheel, the white gold allure and when I saw the dial up close with the loupe I saw the confetti. I’m pretty sure the owner doesn’t know it’s a confetti dial and thinks it’s another normal black dial. Worst case I’d love to put that watch on a leather bracelet for an amazing dress watch.

One of the main points for including this piece on my collection is the value of course, I want a nice vintage that appreciates nice with time and I’ve seen that confetti also means kinda rare, specially on a whitegold version.

I’m down to keep talking about the watch, keeping you guys updated whether I buy it and what comes next with it and I’m still happy if anyone else wants to add any other comment that would help me with my final decision.

Best regards to everyone!
Old 16 October 2023, 11:24 AM   #9
sgwatchobsession
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with having the watch and looking for the part over the next couple months. Still looks awesome and would love to have it personally haha
Old 16 October 2023, 11:05 PM   #10
mlg6613
"TRF" Member

I’ve been searching about the clasp and i think it’s very bizarre that just the cap part was changed to a stainless steel one, it would be uncommon because that type of clasp was only made for the 1803.

Firstly I thought it was changed with a 1603 clasp, but it’s definitely different. Probably it’s just white gold and the owner doesn’t know about it. I’ll see if I buy the watch during these few days and test it with my jeweler. Wish me luck guys, any other comment and tip is appreciated.

Thank y’all!
Old 17 October 2023, 06:14 AM   #11
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

It’s probably worth asking Rolliworks in Miami (and/or LA Watchworks, etc.) now about the WG clasp part you would need. With all the bracelet work they do, they could very well already have one on hand.

I’m a bit surprised that steel part even fit without modifying anything, though I’ve never compared them directly - I would definitely want to confirm that the rest of the bracelet is original (and whether it is a Swiss bracelet, or one of the South American made “D’A” Rolex-authorized ones).

I have a similar (though 5-digit) DD, and I think the WG/black dial combo is a great, classic look - Good luck, and welcome to Vintage-land!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1860.jpeg (268.3 KB, 119 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 06:55 AM   #12
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Who cares ab the clasp at 9500?? Great watch, I would jump on it.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 08:15 AM   #13
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

OP,

As I stated earlier, if you can confirm the rest of the watch is legitimate and the bracelet is genuine but the clasp, the $9,500 asking price is pretty attractive.

You can source a replacement clasp in time. Miamiclay made a good point though which is checking how the substitute clasp is fitted onto the bracelet (again, focuses on you validating the bracelet in general).

Keep us posted.
Old 17 October 2023, 09:18 AM   #14
mlg6613
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
It’s probably worth asking Rolliworks in Miami (and/or LA Watchworks, etc.) now about the WG clasp part you would need. With all the bracelet work they do, they could very well already have one on hand.

I’m a bit surprised that steel part even fit without modifying anything, though I’ve never compared them directly - I would definitely want to confirm that the rest of the bracelet is original (and whether it is a Swiss bracelet, or one of the South American made “D’A” Rolex-authorized ones).

I have a similar (though 5-digit) DD, and I think the WG/black dial combo is a great, classic look - Good luck, and welcome to Vintage-land!

Hey Miami,

Thank you very much for your help. Definitely not a South American bracelet.

It has the correct hallmarks, 750, Helvetia is there too, patented and registered. However it’s missing the 18k DA stamp and the different Rolex font used in South American licensed bracelets. Idk why the owner talked about a stainless steel cap because I’m very confused about the watch and it’s making me double guess everything.

I also have a pic of the cap I’m going to point out a part that I find weird in green. It’s like this angle and I’m going to compare it with a yellow gold version I found on chrono.

Guys, what do you think abiut this two pics?
Old 17 October 2023, 09:29 AM   #15
sgwatchobsession
"TRF" Member

they look fine, don’t think its noticeable and to be fair I’d only be concerned about the clasp if I’m looking to resell the piece down the line. It’s an amazing watch at a great price if its all correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 October 2023, 02:41 PM   #16
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Maybe this link will help you with making your decision OP…Good luck
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...ccessoryTypes=
Old 17 October 2023, 03:38 PM   #17
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If the price is right which everyone is in agreement with and you like it I’d definitely be trying to buy it. You can carry on the search for the correct clasp over time
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote