The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2023, 11:22 PM   #121
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLinLA View Post
I have not given up on or said 'Goodbye' to Rolex. But the idea of me working to build a relationship with a dealer to have a chance to buy a watch is too far out and beyond the normal order of things for me.

I still very much enjoy the Rolex I have, but my last 3 watch purchases were Tudor, Zenith and Omega. And you know what? ...... When you buy these, and many other watches, you can view the actual watch, once or more times, compare in-store to other watches from that brand, ... basically do all the normal things that makes for an enjoyable shopping and buying experience.
This^ Thankfully I've never been enamored w/ 6 digits anyway.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:39 PM   #122
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
Don't show annoyance. Try establishing a rapport with a senior member of staff.
Learn the names of staff. Be friendly. Visit frequently. etc etc.
What am I actually reading???

I was told by my AD what was required to get a new model - I'm not going to go through that hassle of buying stuff I don't need.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:41 PM   #123
Watchmanaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
What am I actually reading???

I was told by my AD what was required to get a new model - I'm not going to go through that hassle of buying stuff I don't need.

Exactly. Rolex isn’t the best watch on the market it’s the best marketed watch. They are sales genius in advertising. As for sales staff well they aren’t anything more than a used car salesman with nothing to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchmanaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:45 PM   #124
dal1234
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,VC,SUB,GMT,PAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwarms View Post
It is hard to be a "good customer" when you will not sell me a watch.

It is hard to be a "good customer" when your sales agents turn over and the
relationships you spent time building are not cared about or passed on by MGT.

It is hard to be a "good customer" when your store is so stuffy and the staff so snooty.

It is hard to be a good "good customer" when you have to beg to spend your hard earned money.

So to Rolex it was fun for a while but now I must bid you adieu

i could not agree more, it just a watch, i do not have enough hours left to live to play stupid games
dal1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:02 AM   #125
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Goodbye Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
OK....maybe not "plan", but the suggested scenario where it would be changed by a drastic change in global buyer behavior alone isn't going to happen.

Thanks for doing what you can as an individual, I'm with you.

All we can do is our part.

I’m happy to hear that I’m not alone in my perspective or sentiments.

Imagine a world where demand for new cars outstripped supply and a group of privileged individuals got the inner track, bought and titled everything they could get their hands on, drove it across the street and asked above new sticker for their used wares. Meanwhile, a steady line of people were at the gate of the used lot waiting for it to open just so they didn’t need to “play the game” across the street.

It’s absolute insanity!

For currently produced watches, I will either wait without a willingness to invest much effort with my AD, or else do without.

Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:15 AM   #126
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Goodbye Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Agree with you mate. These ADs do have stock for the grey market and certain VIP clients but none for regular buyers.
I’ve seen this first-hand at an AD.

If there appears to be little rhyme or reason as to the selection of the “display only pieces” it’s because you are staring at their actual inventory, with the added disclaimer “not for retail”.

I was looking at a Skydweller Oysterflex quite intently and the SA asked if it were something I was serious about. I replied it wasn’t my first choice and was then told they would be “willing” to sell it once they get another Skydweller in to replace the “inventory” with.

I had the impression that if I were serious about it, they would have been able to make it happen.

If these pieces are truly manufacturer-owned display pieces, there would be no mention of “willing” or “inventory”.

“Willing” for the right person or circumstance.

It’s the biggest organized game in Rolex history.
Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:31 AM   #127
Manager_pete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
You lost respect for the brand because demand far surpasses supply?

Are you sure that demand far surpasses supply, Just to take an example there are almost 2 thousand 126710 gmt master II for sale on the gray market and a lot of those are bnib, where do you think those watches came from

Any current production SS rolex is immediately available if I wanted

So I say it again, Yes I have lost respect for Rolex because of its marketing tactics and the games that AD play

So just like OP I have said goodbye to Rolex
Manager_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:47 AM   #128
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

This is definitely an organized game, orchestrated by Rolex and the ADs. Rolex has to be pushing less units and delaying releases on purpose at this point. Look at the delay from spring new releases to ADs. That was not the case in years past. ADs also tell customers with certain models the customer owns that they have not seen one in years, also pointing to manipulated releases/inventory levels. No reason to lie on that to someone wearing the very watch they are saying they never see. I do also believe the ADs then hold the fewer units they receive for high volume/$ customers, likely often greys. This is all no accident. It is a joke at this point…no matter what watch you ask for, it is basically a unicorn at the AD and good luck getting without spending some other $. No wonder so many are fed up.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:53 AM   #129
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Goodbye Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager_pete View Post
Are you sure that demand far surpasses supply, Just to take an example there are almost 2 thousand 126710 gmt master II for sale on the gray market and a lot of those are bnib, where do you think those watches came from

Any current production SS rolex is immediately available if I wanted

So I say it again, Yes I have lost respect for Rolex because of its marketing tactics and the games that AD play

So just like OP I have said goodbye to Rolex

2,000 isn’t that much. They’re on the gray market because people can sell them for more than they paid. Honestly, when I got mine from an AD it was tempting, but I’m keeping mine. It all comes back to supply and demand. If the supply (at MSRP) exceeded the demand, then things would be different.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 01:12 AM   #130
Manager_pete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
2,000 isn’t that much. They’re on the gray market because people can sell them for more than they paid. Honestly, when I got mine from an AD it was tempting, but I’m keeping mine.

Sounds like you are one of few lucky men that have an good AD, it’s a lovely watch so enjoy it

Unfortunately that is not the story with most people visiting AD.
Manager_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 03:25 AM   #131
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKLinLA View Post
I have not given up on or said 'Goodbye' to Rolex. But the idea of me working to build a relationship with a dealer to have a chance to buy a watch is too far out and beyond the normal order of things for me.

I still very much enjoy the Rolex I have, but my last 3 watch purchases were Tudor, Zenith and Omega. And you know what? ...... When you buy these, and many other watches, you can view the actual watch, once or more times, compare in-store to other watches from that brand, ... basically do all the normal things that makes for an enjoyable shopping and buying experience.
Not only that, you get the "red carpet" treatment at exactly the same AD that carries Rolex! Crazy isn't it. Plus a discount. They'll treat you very well if you want to buy an Omega.

But it's an Omega. You didn't want it in the first place, it's a mere relationship-builder on the road to getting a Rolex.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 03:35 AM   #132
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Goodbye Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Not only that, you get the "red carpet" treatment at exactly the same AD that carries Rolex! Crazy isn't it. Plus a discount. They'll treat you very well if you want to buy an Omega.

But it's an Omega. You didn't want it in the first place, it's a mere relationship-builder on the road to getting a Rolex.

It’s like dating. Some women are easy to get. While others are either unattainable or out-of -your league altogether, or you have to work a lot harder to get them.

Old 14 December 2023, 03:44 AM   #133
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
I understand your frustration. These are the same reasons I only buy used 5 digit Rolexes that are available at relatively reasonable prices with immediate delivery from trusted sellers.
5-digits are so much nicer anyway.
Old 14 December 2023, 04:00 AM   #134
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s like dating. Some women are easy to get. While others are either unattainable or out-of -your league altogether, or you have to work a lot harder to get them.

To continue with the metaphor, at some point we realize that deep down we care about what's under the hood, and not just what some women look like.

Omega's movements are top notch, and their modern timekeeping is I dare say better than Rolex's.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 04:23 AM   #135
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
This is definitely an organized game, orchestrated by Rolex and the ADs. Rolex has to be pushing less units and delaying releases on purpose at this point. Look at the delay from spring new releases to ADs. That was not the case in years past. ADs also tell customers with certain models the customer owns that they have not seen one in years, also pointing to manipulated releases/inventory levels. No reason to lie on that to someone wearing the very watch they are saying they never see. I do also believe the ADs then hold the fewer units they receive for high volume/$ customers, likely often greys. This is all no accident. It is a joke at this point…no matter what watch you ask for, it is basically a unicorn at the AD and good luck getting without spending some other $. No wonder so many are fed up.

this... same s...t goes at car dealerships... several years ago, a car dealer was ready literally kiss your butt to sell you a car, now i've heard you also need to build up a relationship to get crappy toyota or subaru...
Old 14 December 2023, 04:39 AM   #136
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager_pete View Post
Sounds like you are one of few lucky men that have an good AD, it’s a lovely watch so enjoy it

Unfortunately that is not the story with most people visiting AD.
There are many variables. For a bit of scale and perspective, my AD is a good AD and I am lucky to have such a good AD. So far as customers who buy Rolex watches from them, I am in a population of hundreds if not thousands of people who are lucky enough to share my AD. They don't post here but they do exist in the real world.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 05:37 AM   #137
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I’ve also detracted from Rolex, but for slightly different reasons.

The watches now are just too shiny, and attract a different crowd than when I first got into Rolex in the early 00’s. Today’s wearers want Rolex for their flex culture, dependence on brand logos and looking like they’re rich and flashy.

I have a BLRO (which is indeed on the way out), and while wearing it at a grocery store I had a youngish guy run up to me and ask “wow a Pepsi! Did you get that at retail?!”

That was the end of my willingness to associate with Rolex. It just ain’t the same anymore…
I believe Tudor filled this role perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 05:43 AM   #138
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
I believe Tudor filled this role perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Or any Explorer variant. No one will even know you're wearing a Rolex. Thieves will leave you alone, ladies won't hit on you, work colleagues won't envy, you'll never worry about it getting scratched - all the stuff Rolex wearers normally fuss about
Old 14 December 2023, 06:00 AM   #139
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I am surprised that AD corruption hasn't been mentioned.

With the unavailability of certain watches at AD yet how many there seem to be available at greys/Chrono24/ebay/Grailzee etc, these resellers have to be getting their new/unworn/recent warranty card Rolexes from somewhere.

Are the ADs so clueless they can't identify a flipper, or are they in on it?

My bet is a little of both, but mostly the latter.

ADs get watches in all the time, yet everyone seems to be waiting years...
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:02 PM   #140
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am surprised that AD corruption hasn't been mentioned.

With the unavailability of certain watches at AD yet how many there seem to be available at greys/Chrono24/ebay/Grailzee etc, these resellers have to be getting their new/unworn/recent warranty card Rolexes from somewhere.

Are the ADs so clueless they can't identify a flipper, or are they in on it?

My bet is a little of both, but mostly the latter.

ADs get watches in all the time, yet everyone seems to be waiting years...

Isn’t it just as likely that an end user took their watch and sold it to a reseller?

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:30 PM   #141
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Isn’t it just as likely that an end user took their watch and sold it to a reseller?

The volume of watches available on the grey market suggested more than the occasional retail flipper...Aren't the AD supposed to vet their buyers and weed out the flippers? Either they are doing a crappy job or they are in on it.
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 12:57 PM   #142
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
There are a lot of people on here who got a decent Rolex model as their first purchase. It's not always about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars before being offered a Rolex unless of course you're after an off catalogue piece.

Don't show annoyance. Try establishing a rapport with a senior member of staff.
Learn the names of staff. Be friendly. Visit frequently. etc etc.

Wow

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 02:59 PM   #143
rolexboy66
"TRF" Member

Try the secondary market. Prices have come off and you may even find some trading around retail prices. I hate to wait so I always buy from grey market. Good luck!
rolexboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 03:01 PM   #144
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Seems like times are getting easier though? Feels like...maybe...early 2019? i.e. SS walkin impossible. PM walk in or short wait for first time alll possible without pretense.

When in doubt, have friend who is already VIP make the introduction for you to cut through the BS.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 06:28 PM   #145
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
It’s plain and simple, they don’t like you they won’t allocate.

They have plenty of customers, that don’t buy diamonds, but having clients for years.
Rolex has achieved a level total exclusivity through branding of beautiful watches.

The AD’s in my area are very polite to everyone coming in, but they just sell to people they “honestly” just like:
- old customers
- charming customers that are not pushy
- customers that know basic history and come across as true watch enthusiasts
- they can smell flippers
-they know if you “have style” and will be good ambassador to the brand
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 06:33 PM   #146
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
Sorry, this made me puke a little.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 06:54 PM   #147
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
The SAs at my nearest AD have plenty of attitude but wouldn’t know style if it hit them in the face! I also don’t think its their place to decide who would be a good ambassador for Rolex.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 09:09 PM   #148
just1time
"TRF" Member

So many get so frustrated like babies for not being given attention by AD or getting a luxury watch that costs tens of thousands.
Minus any real life occurrence happening to jolt your mind and life, The minute you do some soul searching and realize there is more to life than watches, you will reduce the mental capacity to dedicate to the AD and Rolex, play the game without getting fraustrated, enjoy the watch without thinking about it too deep if they sell you one, and focus on other things in life if they dont.

I love these watches but after I lost my dad suddenly last year and life taking a sudden turn in all aspects, I realized there is more to life than letting any AD drive me crazy. Learn to not overthink or go crazy for anything you can live without.Lots of other things to find joy in.

I was 10yrs old once, then 20, then 30, and now 40yrs old. So hard to believe as things just changing around us. Am sure in the blink of an eye 50 will come...So many things out there to enjoy.

Life is a relatively short privilege.We are blessed to be alive.Go gray if you can afford it, wait for an AD if it excites you. But never loose sleep over it.Not worth it at all.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 01:01 AM   #149
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s plain and simple, they don’t like you they won’t allocate.

They have plenty of customers, that don’t buy diamonds, but having clients for years.
Rolex has achieved a level total exclusivity through branding of beautiful watches.

The AD’s in my area are very polite to everyone coming in, but they just sell to people they “honestly” just like:
- old customers
- charming customers that are not pushy
- customers that know basic history and come across as true watch enthusiasts
- they can smell flippers
That doesn't explain how I can buy four Rolex watches for my wife from various ADs... but the same ADs can't find a men's SS model to sell to me. Haven't flipped any of wife's watches and I get along well enough with people.

Only logical explanation: ADs deliberately milk the hype and create the illusion of scarcity. (Datejusts available all day long but apparently Rolex has stopped SS production...)
Old 15 December 2023, 02:00 AM   #150
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

My AD must be blind because somehow I managed to get them.