The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 September 2020, 03:25 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

New Thoughts on Nature vs Nuture

Interesting read this morning....

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i...ar-nature-wins
Old 20 September 2020, 03:32 AM   #2
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Choose your mate wisely if you plan to procreate.
Old 20 September 2020, 06:33 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
While the old nurture argument has always seemed lacking in my view, I hope this doesn't lead us down a path that ignores the importance of nurture in human development.

It seems to me that the author is making more of a political statement, based on just enough data to sway public opinion.

Surely the subject is far more complex than he was willing to address in a mere opinion piece.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 06:48 AM   #4
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the article. This is interesting and compelling subject matter. I’ve done considerable study of this and related areas of psychology and I strongly disagree with the author’s conclusion. The evidence he cites, and his wording, is convoluted and unsupported. In fact he refers to research, but fails to support his claims with actual data. To me, the article reads like a propaganda pamphlet. And to be clear, he’s referring to nature vs. nurture apart from any known inherited mental deficiencies.

By his own admission he claims that (at best) genetics amounts to 50 percent of an individual’s overall psychological influence, which I believe is a gross overestimate. But how he can then confidently conclude that genetics is hands down the most important influence in an individual’s psychological blueprint is mind boggling.

When it comes to physiological traits, genetics (or nature) is key. When it comes to psychological traits, outside of known inherited mental deficiencies, nurture is the most influential factor by far.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 08:08 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I believe that nature does win.

My brother and I are night and day. We could not be more different. To the point where we don’t speak.

My parents did their job with both of us. We both had plenty of nurture. We are who we are based on nature.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 08:57 AM   #6
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
New Thoughts on Nature vs Nuture

I tend to agree with this article to a certain extent, I would like to see sources cited and see more diversity in the sample group. It bothers me because the author only compares children raised in homes with a solid familial foundation. I had no “nurture” as a kid and I persevered. My mom worked 3 jobs and I barely ever saw her, my dad couldn’t keep it in his pants and lost everything because of it. I was essentially a free range kid to the highest degree. Can I attribute my success to nature? Probably not I had to adapt to the situations that came into my life. Those experiences shaped me into who I am far more than the DNA I inherited from my mom and dad.

That being said I can’t argue with the nature aspect of the article I just believe it’s a little flawed. Instead of just nature or nurture it should also include environment. Because the environment is what shaped me.
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I believe that nature does win.

My brother and I are night and day. We could not be more different. To the point where we don’t speak.

My parents did their job with both of us. We both had plenty of nurture. We are who we are based on nature.
I mentioned something like this on a different post when I asked my wife, who has a medical background, about why when our show dog is bred with other show dogs, why you don’t get all show dog puppies. I’m guessing this is a big deal with race horse breeders as well.

My presumption would be that you would have a better chance of getting show quality litters, and she said in all species, that the chromosomal differences in the offspring is to ensure the continuation of the species, due to the chromosomal differences making different offspring able to handle the environment in a different manner and more chance of at least one surviving.

Evolutionarily, humans are no different in our offspring being “different” from one another to give the family the chance of having a least one surviving offspring. Which speaks to your brother and you being so different. Obviously in the modern world having these chromosomal differences is not the necessity for humans it once was.

The nature/nurture thing is a complex issue, with things like identical twins adopted out to different environments being one of the most fascination case studies.

As someone who was adopted at 6 months the concept has always interested me.
Old 20 September 2020, 10:55 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Thanks for sharing the article. This is interesting and compelling subject matter. I’ve done considerable study of this and related areas of psychology and I strongly disagree with the author’s conclusion. The evidence he cites, and his wording, is convoluted and unsupported. In fact he refers to research, but fails to support his claims with actual data. To me, the article reads like a propaganda pamphlet. And to be clear, he’s referring to nature vs. nurture apart from any known inherited mental deficiencies.

By his own admission he claims that (at best) genetics amounts to 50 percent of an individual’s overall psychological influence, which I believe is a gross overestimate. But how he can then confidently conclude that genetics is hands down the most important influence in an individual’s psychological blueprint is mind boggling.

When it comes to physiological traits, genetics (or nature) is key. When it comes to psychological traits, outside of known inherited mental deficiencies, nurture is the most influential factor by far.
I’m guessing in his book the research and sources are included.

In your background in this have you heard of him before?
Old 20 September 2020, 11:53 AM   #9
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Nature lays the foundation
Nurture builds the house.

We are all individuals
We are responsible for our choices.

Not being judgmental on any level.
You pays your money, You takes your chance
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 03:41 PM   #10
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I’m guessing in his book the research and sources are included.

In your background in this have you heard of him before?
Never heard of him before. In the field of psychology novel theories are a dime a dozen. We must be cautious not to capriciously embrace one person’s (or a small group’s) seemingly ironclad evidence as gospel, especially when it runs counter to conventionally accepted, and proven, concepts.

If I wanted I could show evidence based on “research” that red cars are faster than cars of other colors. I could probably write an entire book on it. But no matter how much I write, publish and proclaim it doesn’t necessarily make it true.

“FOO” or Family Of Origin issues, birth order, and gender are only a few variables that influence a lot of behavioral and personality differences within families. And obviously the way a parent interacts with and treats each of their offspring differs (sometimes greatly). To say this is all somehow secondary to genetics (or “nature”) is misguided and incomprehensibly simplistic.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 09:16 PM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Complicated and at least at this time in human knowledge (and perhaps always) unanswerable.

And yet I believe there is third variable. Call it what you will. Because sometimes humans do rise above their genetics and their environment.

Stay safe my friends.
Old 20 September 2020, 09:59 PM   #12
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I thought my MIL was pretty hot, in her youth?
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 10:18 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting read and it raised more questions than it answered for me. Time to do some more reading on the subject. Thanks for posting.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #14
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Complicated and at least at this time in human knowledge (and perhaps always) unanswerable.

And yet I believe there is third variable. Call it what you will. Because sometimes humans do rise above their genetics and their environment.

Stay safe my friends.
Right.....and right.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote