The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2020, 12:04 AM   #31
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

+1

I can’t believe it took 20 posts in this thread to point out that irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Rob View Post
TRF is social media.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:10 AM   #32
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
A great attitude but I would argue with that theory, that just because you’re not on it or partake of it, or follow it, that it doesn’t affect you.

I think it’s sort of the Neville Chamberlain theory. Ignore it and it’ll go away.

A dangerous prospect in my opinion. 45% of Americans get their news from Facebook.
No news for me of any of the online guru's and experts and quite honestly really do not care to much whats going on as long as it does not effect my ability to stay healthy, ride my bike 1000's and 1000's of miles plus the most important not hindering my ability to enjoy all my wild and unusual gadgets..! Facebook is a joke and great entertainment for me...I take all of it with a grain of salt no matter what all the online wizards have to say...:)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:13 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
+1

But it's MODERATED social media.
Old 7 September 2020, 12:25 AM   #34
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
+1

I think we all know the spirit vs letter of how the OP was written and most understood it was meant for the big platforms... I will share on a common low volume hobby fora with great moderators, but refrain from large gathering spots that fester arguments.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:27 AM   #35
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

No matter what your point of view on any subject, disinformation is constantly being added to daily feeds and in many cases groomed to your PROFILE.

All your have to do is google Cambridge Analytica to see how it is done. The original concept was designed for targeting ads for people to buy stuff, but was later employed to target messages to manipulate how they think and vote.

The bottom line isn't that I don't use social media so it doesn't affect me, the bottom line is that millions of false message can go out by ANYONE wishing to gain a desired affect. And the scary thing is, it's extremely effective. AND THAT NOBODY HAS FIGURED OUT HOW TO STOP/CONTROL IT.

2-3 corporations can now control the entire mass media of the planet. It's humorous to see Mark Zuckerberg being GRILLED in Senate Hearing and then once the bit of theater is done, the senators all rush up to shake his hand and suck up to him for bribes (contributions). What was shown on the networks end after a few soundbites but on C-Span you got to see a longer process and the hand kissing.

This is an interesting read:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02235-x
Old 7 September 2020, 06:32 AM   #36
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Social media is what you make it.

Before lockdown it’s enabled my business to grow and through it it has effectively saved it and enabled a stronger return than could have been expected. One of the platforms I use to has even start paying for our posts!!

I manage every part of it, and the only personal account I have is exactly that.
Old 7 September 2020, 06:39 AM   #37
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Having lived abroad for the last 33 years, I just use FB to keep in touch (often very loosely) or reconnect with old friends and family around the world, and with many of whom I would probably lose touch completely without it. So for me it's a good thing.
That's reason enough. Sometimes I just can't stand my friends that are close let alone the distant ones so for me wouldn't help but I get where you're coming from.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:51 AM   #38
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
That's reason enough. Sometimes I just can't stand my friends that are close let alone the distant ones so for me wouldn't help but I get where you're coming from.
I have quite a few on "snooze" and don't "follow" them all
Old 7 September 2020, 10:26 PM   #39
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have quite a few on "snooze" and don't "follow" them all
That's inevitable but please don't get me wrong. After family, work, travel, music, watches, books and cars, friends are the best thing in the world
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 12:34 AM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
A number of factors I imagine but there is less of the need to be civil to those you don’t have to face in person.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 12:59 AM   #41
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Aside from the aforementioned disinformation that occurs on social media, its worst effect is how it changes people's interactions. The anonymity and faceless nature of its distanced communication often brings out the worst in people. I'm sure many of you have seen crazy things written and thought, "that person would NEVER say that in person," and you are right.

The tremendous illusion of social media is its pretense of social connection. But most people who are really active on social media feel the opposite - isolated, alone, and unhappy.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:04 AM   #42
330ci
"TRF" Member

you can basically take a look at the rules here, and realize why this place is so much more civil than FB or Twitter.
when you go on facebook, people share far too much ideological info, and very little personal info. Most people would get along just fine if they kept their political views to themselves and just went out and were generally good people. I've adopted quite a few of the forum rules here into my personal/business life and the outcome has been quite profound. I get along with most everyone, couldn't care less what people believe and my life is great. Conversely, growing up I was huge into "political activism" and was constantly upset with society for not meeting my standards. then I realized, this place is a freakin jungle, have fun, don't hurt others, stay true to yourself and enjoy the heck out of this crazy astronomical experience. We all end up in a hole, I'm going to have a great time on my way there though lol I don't need the validation of a bunch of people from my past to do that.

you can't define a person based off a persona, and I know I show better in person than I do on paper. so I stick to real life now. Social media added no substance to my life; and i'm sure it's that way for plenty others too.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 02:42 AM   #43
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
you can basically take a look at the rules here, and realize why this place is so much more civil than FB or Twitter.
when you go on facebook, people share far too much ideological info, and very little personal info. Most people would get along just fine if they kept their political views to themselves and just went out and were generally good people. I've adopted quite a few of the forum rules here into my personal/business life and the outcome has been quite profound. I get along with most everyone, couldn't care less what people believe and my life is great. Conversely, growing up I was huge into "political activism" and was constantly upset with society for not meeting my standards. then I realized, this place is a freakin jungle, have fun, don't hurt others, stay true to yourself and enjoy the heck out of this crazy astronomical experience. We all end up in a hole, I'm going to have a great time on my way there though lol I don't need the validation of a bunch of people from my past to do that.

you can't define a person based off a persona, and I know I show better in person than I do on paper. so I stick to real life now. Social media added no substance to my life; and i'm sure it's that way for plenty others too.

Well said! I agree with most all of it. I also own an e46 330ci. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #44
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Well said! I agree with most all of it. I also own an e46 330ci. Lol

Heck yeah! I have a StahlBlau Metallic 5 sp convertible! Love it to death, but daily my mustang at this point. I've had 3 e46s a 6 spd 330xi, an auto 323ci and the vert I have now. Would love to find a nice ZHP, M3 or M coupe. Passed on a e36 M3 vert in alpine white a few months back because it was a vert and auto, but kinda wish I bought it, stripped the drivetrain and built a turbo wagon.
been all over the place with ideas though, the 330xi was supposed to get it's transmission swapped over into my 330ci,along with the FWD/suspension/engine cradle but someone offered me way more than I paid for the car before I got around to dismantling it, so off it went.
I still have a few build ideas, but don't have the space for multiple project cars at the moment. one of these days lol
Old 8 September 2020, 04:56 AM   #45
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I'm on a few forums, but none of the Facebook/Twitter sites.

I'm not someone who has to broadcast where I am and what I'm doing every time I go someplace.

I've seen several friendships destroyed when some sees something on social media that they were not meant to see.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #46
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Heck yeah! I have a StahlBlau Metallic 5 sp convertible! Love it to death, but daily my mustang at this point. I've had 3 e46s a 6 spd 330xi, an auto 323ci and the vert I have now. Would love to find a nice ZHP, M3 or M coupe. Passed on a e36 M3 vert in alpine white a few months back because it was a vert and auto, but kinda wish I bought it, stripped the drivetrain and built a turbo wagon.
been all over the place with ideas though, the 330xi was supposed to get it's transmission swapped over into my 330ci,along with the FWD/suspension/engine cradle but someone offered me way more than I paid for the car before I got around to dismantling it, so off it went.
I still have a few build ideas, but don't have the space for multiple project cars at the moment. one of these days lol

I too have owned quite a few e46’s. They’re incredibly reliable if you know what to fix before it goes out on you and they’re very easy to work on if you are into that sort of thing. I don’t believe BMW has built a more reliable car since. I’d be curious to see if there’s anything newer running around with 200k plus on the clock.

I’m putting two turbos on an m70 motor and shoe horning it into my 330ci coupe. It’s going to take some feats of engineering but will be quite fun when it’s done.

Old 8 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #47
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
How did social media become anti social media....
It didn't.

It always was.

Consider the fact that you never need to see, touch or interact with another human, ever. You can say, do, post or fabricate anything you like. Totally anti-social and it always will be.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 11:51 AM   #48
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Just watched the social dilemma, iv been off Facebook for over 8yrs and just recently deleted Instagram, my last bit of social media. I’m scared for my two year old daughter and how to keep her safe from all this crap.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:28 PM   #49
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Social media (or fill in the blank) is only a tool and like most tools, it can also be used as a weapon.
That is how I look at it with a slight addition.

It's a useful took that can quickly be turned into a weapon. When not weaponizing it, please use social media to either brag or paint a false impression of their lives. Too darn worried about “likes”.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 10:21 PM   #50
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I’d be curious to see if there’s anything newer running around with 200k plus on the clock.
Have a look at any Greek airport E Class Merc.
We've seen 'em with 500K Km, plus.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 11:03 PM   #51
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
And when you get outside of athens all the hand me down ones are still running strong after 20-25 years.

Modern 3 series don't seem to share the same reliability.

IIRC there was a German cab driver who racked up a few million km on a mercedes with regular maintenance and they gave him a new car free so they could check the wear points on his vehicle to see what they could improve on
Old 17 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #52
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

I get that. I was talking about BMW. I have not seen any BMW model since the E46 reliably driven, anywhere near let alone past 200,000 miles.

Old 18 September 2020, 02:58 AM   #53
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Just watched the social dilemma, iv been off Facebook for over 8yrs and just recently deleted Instagram, my last bit of social media. I’m scared for my two year old daughter and how to keep her safe from all this crap.
I watch The Social Dilemma last night. It's eye opening for sure.
Old 18 September 2020, 03:20 AM   #54
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
My wife’s on that garbage. I despise it. I’m on LinkedIn but question its value constantly. The political, religious, and self-absorbed post by 20yo “CEOs” wear me out.
I lol'd at this.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:33 AM   #55
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Distance and anonymity, and a lack of manners.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #56
Lagetickers
Banned

I'm not a fan of social media because i love my life private.
Lagetickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:41 AM   #57
DavidRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
I read this link today about a new book and I found it thoughtful and interesting.

As one who bailed out of social media and Facebook a number of years ago and never bothered to join Twitter or any of the other iterations I sort of consider myself superior and lucky at the same time.

Like most addictions, I never partake. Alcohol, a couple of drinks is fine for me, cocaine, saw a few crack addicts and decided against it. Meth, I like my teeth, so no. And social media and in fact media in general, is designed by people far smarter than me to be addictive so I decided not to play the game.

It's mainly designed to tweak 2 of our 3 most tweakable buttons. (Namely, fear, anger, and sex). Nothing sexy about it, in fact I have a theory that people who aren't getting any sex, are probably the ones most susceptible to being tweaked in the fear and anger department.

One has to wonder what affect it has on the minds of people/kids who have never been in a world without social media.

For those on this site who say no to social media for whatever reasons can all probably attest that even on a forum site like TRF, it's very easy to get into trouble for various tribal and political reasons. Nobody is really immune.

Facebook and its ilk may end up being the most destructive force ever perpetrated on the world and we are just now seeing it's power and wonder how it can be controlled.

How can humans exist in a world without truth being a prerequisite to life and decision making. It's the basic foundation of civilization.

So here is the article: https://www.bookforum.com/print/2703...ign=pockethits
This is a a great sentiment - just had a conversation with a friend last night who is trying to create his own "social media" no with no ads and just purely for his network (www.unaded.com) which I thought was pretty neat.

His thing was that he believes there's so much manipulation in the social media via targeted ads and even those friends of yours can be targeted and repost images or messaging that perpetuate whatever a corporation or person paid for them to think. Couldn't disagree.

I agree.. I think this is something that needs to be tamed and while withdrawing is a great solution for some - for the millennials and kids out there engrossed and even needing to use some of the networks for school or social community in this century, we need a better solution to address the problems inherent with the platform.

The only network I really appreciate is Linkedin - I work in pharma and I use it exclusively to network and has aided with many business deals and job searches. Again - it's not a "social media" as much as it is networking and people are generally less political on there since it's a career site.

I've pretty much stopped using Facebook other than a group I am in with neighbors in the area where we post security issues, etc. and is helpful. Instagram I like only to check in with close friends and share photos that I otherwise would have to text to them - I find it convenient to do that and stay in touch virtually during the pandemic.
DavidRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:53 AM   #58
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Good news, for you guys

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...g-data-with-us
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote