The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2020, 06:56 AM   #151
tabs2000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710BLNR, 79220N
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Hey! I'm totally interested in an e-bike mountain bike. I'm very interested in what you think is a good one. I Plan to take it to Mammoth in the summers and ride it in San Diego in winters.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/mammoth...k-opens-today/

I would highly recommend looking at a YT Decoy. I live in Southern California and ride the sky park at Santa’s village and Mammoth all the tine. The Decoy is amazing at both places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tabs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 07:45 AM   #152
tabs2000

Anybody mountain bike?

Quote:
Hey! I'm totally interested in an e-bike mountain bike. I'm very interested in what you think is a good one. I Plan to take it to Mammoth in the summers and ride it in San Diego in winters.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/mammoth...k-opens-today/

Dollar to dollar this bike is a great deal compared to other E-bikes on the market. These will sell out quickly it’s almost as bad as trying to buy a watch these days .

But in all seriousness this model will sell out quickly but would do great for the areas you ride.

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/...Category/73537

Old 28 June 2020, 11:03 AM   #153
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
I’ve only ridden this Trek e-bike, so I don’t know a lot about others. We use them to check single track trails in the morning for downed trees, branches or washouts. As tabs2000 mentioned, one can cover many more miles than on a normal bike in the same mount of time. The Trek has multiple settings depending on terrain, desired speeds, etc. The big downside is the price of a replacement battery. I think the model I rode today is over $2,000.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:57 AM   #154
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’ve only ridden this Trek e-bike, so I don’t know a lot about others. We use them to check single track trails in the morning for downed trees, branches or washouts. As tabs2000 mentioned, one can cover many more miles than on a normal bike in the same mount of time. The Trek has multiple settings depending on terrain, desired speeds, etc. The big downside is the price of a replacement battery. I think the model I rode today is over $2,000.
I saw this one in a sporting goods store in Mammoth today. I need to figure out what options are necessary as I'm basically starting over mountain biking. It's been many years since I've had one.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:40 PM   #155
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs2000 View Post

Here are the 2 bikes I use for trail riding and cruising around. The blue one is a Kona process 153 the other is a Santa Cruz Carbon Chameleon 29er.

I just had my bicep re-attached so I rebuilt the Kona. I updated the fork to the new Charger 2.1 damper and installed the new Debonair air spring. I also upgraded the drivetrain to Sram X01 with a set of XX1 carbon cranks. I can’t ride for another 4 months so it gives me something to look forward to.

Then I have a YT decoy for my E-bike. This ones a beast it’s simply tons of fun. I can go out and cover 3 times the distance in the same amount of time as I would on a regular ride and still get about 80% of the workout. It’s great for exploring new trails because if it’s a dead end or a big climb I just hit the boost setting and I’m out.

Last one is a photo of me on my YT Capra that I just sold. I like the Kona more and could not justify keeping both.

Mountain bikes are fun. When my shoulder was healthy I was riding about 5 days a week. But I had a big crash and ended up needing my shoulder rebuilt. I can’t wait to be able to ride again.

Take your time with the rehab mate. Had three shoulder surgery with one biceps reattachment. Resist the urge to get back too fast or you will be drawing the recovery out months longer.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:41 PM   #156
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostick View Post
It came in!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Looks like ride time!

Stapleton???

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 29 June 2020, 06:48 AM   #157
tabs2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Take your time with the rehab mate. Had three shoulder surgery with one biceps reattachment. Resist the urge to get back too fast or you will be drawing the recovery out months longer.

Thanks I have had my ACL repaired before but this seem like it more prone to re-Injury. I also tore 95% of my Labrum in the same crash. Mountain bikes are fun until they aren’t. Thank again

Old 29 June 2020, 10:37 PM   #158
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Looks like ride time!

Stapleton???
Close, Broomfield

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 02:24 AM   #159
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Carrying a new piece of equipment in my pocket now. In the last week, the trail boss has seen a black bear on one of the singletrack trails, which isn’t uncommon, and also a mountain lion. I don’t want to run into either, but if I do, some pepper spray to the face might turn them around if they were to become aggressive.

I’ve come to recognize the smell of a bear long before I can see it. They smell like a mix of dead animal and a guy who hasn’t showered in months.

Old 30 August 2020, 02:50 AM   #160
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Carrying a new piece of equipment in my pocket now. In the last week, the trail boss has seen a black bear on one of the singletrack trails, which isn’t uncommon, and also a mountain lion. I don’t want to run into either, but if I do, some pepper spray to the face might turn them around if they were to become aggressive.

I’ve come to recognize the smell of a bear long before I can see it. They smell like a mix of dead animal and a guy who hasn’t showered in months.

Mountain Lion attacks are very rare but they are ambush predators and a mountain bike cruising along a trail could be interesting to a very hungry or perhaps a desperate lion. They usually go for the neck so make sure you are very familiar with using the spray in a stressful situation and maybe with only one hand.
Old 30 August 2020, 11:28 AM   #161
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Mountain Lion attacks are very rare but they are ambush predators and a mountain bike cruising along a trail could be interesting to a very hungry or perhaps a desperate lion. They usually go for the neck so make sure you are very familiar with using the spray in a stressful situation and maybe with only one hand.
I was a SWAT physician for 13 years, so I’ve sprayed a stream or two under stress in the past.

I’m more worried about the bear than the lion, as there have been some black bear attacks in Minnesota in the last couple of years.
Old 30 August 2020, 02:50 PM   #162
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I nearly crashed into a bear in Durango while on my bike on a wooded downhill trail at a high rate of speed. Don’t know which one of us was more scared. While that bear didnt sh#t in the woods, I thinK I might have.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 31 August 2020, 12:16 AM   #163
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
I nearly crashed into a bear in Durango while on my bike on a wooded downhill trail at a high rate of speed. Don’t know which one of us was more scared. While that bear didnt sh#t in the woods, I thinK I might have.
Though I’ve not adopted it, a lot of riders out here use bells on their seat rails, as not to surprise bears.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 07:06 PM   #164
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #165
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Fall is my favorite season for biking. Cool, low humidity and beautiful colors in the hills.

Old 21 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #166
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Last weekend’s ride up to the Continental Divide between Winter Park and Boulder, Colorado...

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 21 September 2020, 04:55 AM   #167
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Yesterday’s ride to check out the Aspens...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA510BDD-FAAB-4008-B9FA-23AE61D9F8E4.jpeg (118.4 KB, 143 views)

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 21 September 2020, 05:01 AM   #168
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Now those are REAL mountain bike trails, Jason. Looks like so much fun.
Old 21 September 2020, 09:04 PM   #169
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=joeychitwood;10930564]Fall is my favorite season for biking. Cool, low humidity and beautiful colors in the hills.

Beautiful photographs Joey!

What camera you you carry when cycling?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:14 PM   #170
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Thank you. I just use my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone camera.
Old 21 September 2020, 10:37 PM   #171
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Thank you. I just use my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone camera.
I saw you’re in MN. In my 20s, I spent four years living in MSP and got involved with cycling advocacy and trail maintenance through MORC and MOCA. I used to love riding Theo and Leb! I

I left as things were moving forward with Cuyuna and I’ve never ridden it.

Sadly, I haven’t ridden in several years...
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:39 PM   #172
Phil t 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post

Don’t cruise, send it (as the young cool dudes say)

Phil t 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #173
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph4387 View Post
This social distancing drove me to buy a bike again to get out and ride in the neighborhood. However, the more I read about bikes the more I wish I'd gone higher end and now I find myself looking at bikes all day.

Any good places for reading to learn? I'd also love to get your recommendations on my next bike.
Sometimes the best bike on paper isn't a good fit for your body or riding style. My only advice is to thoroughly test ride any potential new bike before buying....especially if it's expensive.

I spent Rolex money on a full suspension rig only to hate riding it. Made me dislike riding all together. Recently picked up a Trek Roscoe 8, what a difference. Way cheaper but a perfect match to my body. Incredibly comfortable to ride and totally confidence inspiring.

More expensive isn't always better.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:23 PM   #174
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I saw you’re in MN. In my 20s, I spent four years living in MSP and got involved with cycling advocacy and trail maintenance through MORC and MOCA. I used to love riding Theo and Leb! I

I left as things were moving forward with Cuyuna and I’ve never ridden it.

Sadly, I haven’t ridden in several years...
The Cuyuna Lakes trails have single-handedly revitalized the economies of the surrounding communities. They are nationally known and draw people from all over. I talk to many riders from around the US and Canada (not this summer) while riding here who travel from our trails at DM to Giant’s Ridge in Biwabik and to Cuyuna in one trip.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:24 AM   #175
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
The Cuyuna Lakes trails have single-handedly revitalized the economies of the surrounding communities. They are nationally known and draw people from all over. I talk to many riders from around the US and Canada (not this summer) while riding here who travel from our trails at DM to Giant’s Ridge in Biwabik and to Cuyuna in one trip.
I’m thrilled it’s working well! Northern MN is gorgeous country. I miss going up there.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:37 AM   #176
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Biking and working at the resort has been a wonderful slice of normalcy in an otherwise crazy summer.
Old 22 September 2020, 12:03 PM   #177
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Biking and working at the resort has been a wonderful slice of normalcy in an otherwise crazy summer.
How are you guys planning for ski season? Reservations or limited tickets sales??

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 22 September 2020, 10:58 PM   #178
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How are you guys planning for ski season? Reservations or limited tickets sales??
The ski industry and National Ski Patrol have developed detailed plans for opening this winter. They include PPE, masks indoors for patrons, social distancing on lifts and in restaurants, rental shops and lodges, etc. Many will require reservations. All will operate at markedly reduce numbers of patrons. I was on a national workgroup of physicians this summer that put together extensive guidelines and protocols for treating injuries, cleaning workspaces and managing risks to patrollers. There are drastic changes from traditional policies. Compression-only CPR for medical cardiac arrests and NO CPR for trauma arrests. All of the plans depend on how bad the pandemic is by the time the snow falls.
Old 20 October 2020, 10:18 AM   #179
macharle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
You could ride that trail on a hardtail dude lol.

No question about it’s capability, which as always really just depends who is riding it.

Santa Cruz just makes better bikes IMO - and if the budget is 3k...that’s what I’d look at.

As long as you’re out riding, the rest is semantics.
^^ Agreed. Santa Cruz all the way.
macharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:18 PM   #180
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I have made a new mtb purchase this week but the frameset is still in transit and waiting on some parts. Hope to be riding it by next weekend.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote