The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2019, 03:28 AM   #1
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
New Seiko LX vs. Rolex Submariner

I really can‘t wait to see the new LX watches in the flesh.
And I do hope that Seiko adjusts pricing of those with $1000 down.

Phantastic video and some food for thought

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhkF3fEnGU
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 07:47 PM   #2
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
I have looked twice at the LX in person, and while its not a bad looking watch, it just doesn't feel like it's worth anywhere near the price they're asking. I have to say that the finish on the watch, hands and indices appears to be Grand Seiko like, which is certainly above the Seiko SD GMT model and the MM300, but the X on the dial is something I just can't get past, and at that price I'd buy a Grand Seiko over it just because of the X. It's clear by the SLA models that Seiko no longer wishes to push ahead by staying true to their tradition, and for some reason believe that by rebranding 'Marinemaster' with an X, they are creating some kind of marketing magic, like the Apple iPhone X.

Surely the Japanese know that a majority of customers do not like it, and they're probably saying 'who cares? We are the value king' .....but with this watch they certainly are no longer that. I assume it has something to do with Rolex retail/resale prices going crazy, but for less than this price, I'd take the omega any day of the week, or pay a little extra for a Rolex or Tudor - (yes i am into Seiko more than other brands). The finishing of the Omega is very much on par, the movement is also on par, and the resale and value are arguable higher.

I also don't believe in Seiko's diashield, as I scratched my SLA033 while takin the following photo. There are many fine scratches that should not be there. I shoot watches for a living, and this really surprised me, as if diashield is designed to 'attract' scratches more than defend against them.

The X is on watches starting at around $400, so why would I want the same designation on my 6k watch, especially when higher end GS models don't seem to require the X logo? In fact the X graces the dials of more cheap Seikos than anything else, so IMHO, it looks more like a semi-professional designation than a Professional one
leicashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 08:37 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have not seen the LX line-up in person but I am interested. I think the watch sits in a price range that will make it very difficult to sale as for the money almost everything is on the table either pre-owned or new. I have always been a fan of Rolex but of late have developed into a Seiko fan. I would need a significant discount on the LX to buy new or I will sit for a time and see where the pre-owned market will be. Something to look forward too.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 10:05 PM   #4
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
I have looked twice at the LX in person, and while its not a bad looking watch, it just doesn't feel like it's worth anywhere near the price they're asking. I have to say that the finish on the watch, hands and indices appears to be Grand Seiko like, which is certainly above the Seiko SD GMT model and the MM300, but the X on the dial is something I just can't get past, and at that price I'd buy a Grand Seiko over it just because of the X. It's clear by the SLA models that Seiko no longer wishes to push ahead by staying true to their tradition, and for some reason believe that by rebranding 'Marinemaster' with an X, they are creating some kind of marketing magic, like the Apple iPhone X.

Surely the Japanese know that a majority of customers do not like it, and they're probably saying 'who cares? We are the value king' .....but with this watch they certainly are no longer that. I assume it has something to do with Rolex retail/resale prices going crazy, but for less than this price, I'd take the omega any day of the week, or pay a little extra for a Rolex or Tudor - (yes i am into Seiko more than other brands). The finishing of the Omega is very much on par, the movement is also on par, and the resale and value are arguable higher.

I also don't believe in Seiko's diashield, as I scratched my SLA033 while takin the following photo. There are many fine scratches that should not be there. I shoot watches for a living, and this really surprised me, as if diashield is designed to 'attract' scratches more than defend against them.

The X is on watches starting at around $400, so why would I want the same designation on my 6k watch, especially when higher end GS models don't seem to require the X logo? In fact the X graces the dials of more cheap Seikos than anything else, so IMHO, it looks more like a semi-professional designation than a Professional one
I really don’t get the whole hate on the X thing. It’s a logo. Why would you dismiss a watch just for one small logo on the dial. These are supposed to be the pinnacle prospex, so it makes sense to me to include it. I owned an sla019 and you know how many times the X made me feel like the watch was cheapened by it: zero. This isn’t just directed at you leicashot, more just my confusion with the whole anti-X movement. Cause there is a large contingent of you out there. Help me understand cause it really confuses me.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 10:11 PM   #5
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I do agree they should be $4-5k though. They are $1,000 too expensive. But what I’ve heard from the regional seiko guy here is they aren’t making that many and only a few stores are going to get them. So they may be trying to play the same game going on in the steel sports world.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 11:24 PM   #6
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I really don’t get the whole hate on the X thing. It’s a logo. Why would you dismiss a watch just for one small logo on the dial. These are supposed to be the pinnacle prospex, so it makes sense to me to include it. I owned an sla019 and you know how many times the X made me feel like the watch was cheapened by it: zero. This isn’t just directed at you leicashot, more just my confusion with the whole anti-X movement. Cause there is a large contingent of you out there. Help me understand cause it really confuses me.
I agree on your perspective. I guess because it was originally associated with Seiko's cheaper watches before implementing it onto the MM300 and others. I think historically also, we only want to see one main logo on a watch, and now we have two. I'm not sure about others, but thats how I view it. Since the beginning, it has never felt like a prestigious designation.

Having said that, to be fair, I would not put down others for liking it or the watches it graces. If you like the watch, the X should not be an issue. Just for me, it kind of is, but really for this model, its the price that seems to be the most out of place.
leicashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2019, 11:35 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

I can't say the LX has struck me as an 'x factor' watch that I have any urge to make me want to spend $6k.

Give me an SKX009 or a Seiko Sports 5 and I'll be as happy as Larry! The 2 exceptions for which I have spent $6k are the SLA017 and SLA033. Wearing my Seiko Sports 5 now very happily

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 12:19 AM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I quite like them, It would be a hard choice picking between the LX Springdrive Diver and the GS Titanium Springdrive Diver though. The designation or branding wouldn't bother me, it all would boil down to the one I liked the look of better.

I still think that the normal non watch enthusiast bloke on the street wouldn't give a Seiko, (GS, Prospex or whatever) a second glance over a Rolex, so, bearing that it mind, does it really matter what Seiko it is? Not to me, but others may want a GS logo for that price and there is nothing wrong with that.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 02:11 AM   #9
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Nice watches. You can see that Seiko is moving up the market and trying to capture the some of the space left when Rolex moving up to the TT/PM.

Maybe Seiko has seen that collectors are willing to spend up to $5K for their anniversary limited edition divers watches so they know there's a market for bigger more expensive Seiko diver watches.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I like this watch a lot.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 04:19 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Cool watch but not the best video.

“Both watches are inspired by designs from the 60s”

Well the sub was released in what 53-54?
Old 11 August 2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Nice watches. You can see that Seiko is moving up the market and trying to capture the some of the space left when Rolex moving up to the TT/PM.

Maybe Seiko has seen that collectors are willing to spend up to $5K for their anniversary limited edition divers watches so they know there's a market for bigger more expensive Seiko diver watches.
Good points.

But i think they may have over estimated with the LX.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 07:11 PM   #13
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I didn't realise until I saw this film, that the "X" in the logo was a clever overlapping "P" and "S" for Professional Specification (Prospex) and the LX is an abbreviation of Lux which stands for light in Latin.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 09:17 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Hmm

I can get a lot of enjoyment from the $200-400 Seikos. If I want to spend four figures, I think I would buy a Grand Seiko.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #15
CALIFORNIA-BG
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C TT
I myself have been trying to make a decision between the Seiko Prospex SNR029, and the GS titanium.
I have a submariner, I had a GMT 2-tone ceramic......got rid of that, and picked up a Tudor steel and gold.
And all the other usual steel watches.
I wanted to move into something titanium.
I took a hard look at the Pelagos..... Which is definitely a little bit cheaper than what I am paying for the Seiko......
But in the end, I decided to give the Seiko a shot.
It didn't hurt mentioning to my dealer that I was taking a hard look at the Pelagos. Price came down a little bit more.
CALIFORNIA-BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 09:08 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Video misses key point: The Sub is just a better-looking watch. Cleaner with better lines. And let's face it, most guys buy a watch primarily based on how it looks on the wrist.

That crown on the Seiko is awkward and that little power-reserve meter on the dial is silly and causes an appearance of clutter, IMHO.

I love Seikos, especially some of the new re-issues, such as the SLA037. But the comparison in this video ain't a fair fight.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 01:37 AM   #17
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Submariner for me
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 02:31 AM   #18
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
I would have to pass on the LX line. I would take a SLA037 over a sub, anyday.
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 06:35 AM   #19
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

New Seiko LX vs. Rolex Submariner

I picked up the SNR033 a few weeks back. I always wanted a spring drive, and the titanium bracelet is amazing. For me, I actually like the fact that no one will know what I'm wearing or just think it's a couple hundred dollar watch. It still hasn't gained or lost a second. First Seiko, very impressed.

Forgot to mention - sapphire bezel with lume and deep blue sunburst dial!!!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:40 AM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
I picked up the SNR033 a few weeks back. I always wanted a spring drive, and the titanium bracelet is amazing. For me, I actually like the fact that no one will know what I'm wearing or just think it's a couple hundred dollar watch. It still hasn't gained or lost a second. First Seiko, very impressed.
Forgot to mention - sapphire bezel with lume and deep blue sunburst dial!!!
Very nice, congrats - I really like this model
Old 16 September 2020, 12:13 PM   #21
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not to sound shallow but the crown at 4 kills it for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 08:36 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 08:56 PM   #23
Andad

Watch: A few.
Taking all other watches out of the equation that Seiko does nothing for me.

I don’t like the hands and why have a power reserve indicator on an automatic watch?

Wear it...it runs...don’t wear it....it stops....just a day later than others.

The dial would look much better without this feature.

I have 6 Seiko watches but to me that is just what they are......and they now have way too many model numbers.

Sort of a modern day Panerai?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 09:11 PM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Taking all other watches out of the equation that Seiko does nothing for me.

I don’t like the hands and why have a power reserve indicator on an automatic watch?

Wear it...it runs...don’t wear it....it stops....just a day later than others.

The dial would look much better without this feature.

I have 6 Seiko watches but to me that is just what they are......and they now have way too many model numbers.

Sort of a modern day Panerai?
I think a PR indicator makes more sense on an auto than a manual, Eddie. On a manual, I know roughly last time I wound it, but did I wear the auto enough today to leave it overnight, or could it do with a top up? That said, I don't think they often look great on the dial. I do like the one that sweeps away the snow on the Snowflake, though, all Zen-like
Old 19 September 2020, 06:03 AM   #25
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Would you go out on a Jeep without a fuel gauge?

Imo a PR indicator is a must for a proper toolwatch
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote