The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #1
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
VC Historiques American 1921

Owners, Past Owners, Fans, Enemies:

Recently started looking at adding a dress watch to my collection. I am not constantly in a suit for work but I do dress business casual with the occasional suit for clients. I really want something that is easy to wear, somewhat versatile, and on a strap.

I was visiting my girlfriend in Austin, and they have a Vacheron AD that I decided to stop in to see some pieces they had. I really liked the Traditionelle but this 1921 really had my heartstrings.

I enjoy the history of the watch, I love the “driving look” of the timepiece and the fact that you do not see this much, opposed to the Calatravas and Cartiers. Also, I recently got a new job which is a major change, and the 1921/2021 was a cool aspect.

So, to the bottom line. If anyone has owned or currently owns it, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on it. What you liked, what you didn’t like, impressions, how it wore, etc.

My current collection if you are wondering how it would fit:

- 228238 Day-Date YG Black Motif
- 126610LV Sub Green Bezel
- 116500LN White Face Daytona
- 126711CHNR GMT Master Two-Tone
- Omega Speedmaster Hesalite

Finally - the customary wrist shot on how it looked:

THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!!

JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:33 AM   #2
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch - unique, too.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:39 AM   #3
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

No experience owning or wearing it, but I just wanted to give you the nudge to GET THAT WATCH! One of my all time favorite VC's. Love the dial, case, 3:00 small seconds, everything about it.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:42 AM   #4
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Looks better in rose gold than yellow gold, overall my favourite VC, you need this in your life.
Old 26 January 2021, 04:58 AM   #5
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Love it! Definitely get it.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:24 AM   #6
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I bought one of these maybe 5 years ago or so...I don't wear it often but when I do it gets a ton of comments and questions as it's so unique.

It's a fun piece in the collection!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:53 AM   #7
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g
I’m guessing you went to Majors. Awesome shop. Incredible watch. On my never ending list of purchases.

Agree that the rose is the way to go. I know they made a platinum one for a limited run. Also awesome.
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:45 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It had the same effect on me. Been entertaining buying one for the better part of 5 years now.
Old 26 January 2021, 10:40 AM   #9
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Always wanted the platinum version but never pulled the trigger. It is a fantastic looking watch. Good luck with your search!
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:38 AM   #10
kunlun
"TRF" Member

One of the best in the VC collection, definitely adds something to your collection.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:59 AM   #11
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I had been considering that model for a few years now, but I don’t think I’ll get pass the design that the markings on the sub dial is not tilted while the main dial is. When and if it drops significantly in price in the secondary market, maybe I’ll add one...
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:17 AM   #12
JayHantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
No experience owning or wearing it, but I just wanted to give you the nudge to GET THAT WATCH! One of my all time favorite VC's. Love the dial, case, 3:00 small seconds, everything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
Looks better in rose gold than yellow gold, overall my favourite VC, you need this in your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
Love it! Definitely get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I bought one of these maybe 5 years ago or so...I don't wear it often but when I do it gets a ton of comments and questions as it's so unique.

It's a fun piece in the collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfagan View Post
Always wanted the platinum version but never pulled the trigger. It is a fantastic looking watch. Good luck with your search!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
One of the best in the VC collection, definitely adds something to your collection.
Thanks gents! I think it is so unique and so well done with the RG; the platinum is a beauty, but I really love the warmth of the RG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseATX View Post
I’m guessing you went to Majors. Awesome shop. Incredible watch. On my never ending list of purchases.

Agree that the rose is the way to go. I know they made a platinum one for a limited run. Also awesome.
I did! Good group of people there. I went to Ben Bridge at the Domain after, didn't have the same feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It had the same effect on me. Been entertaining buying one for the better part of 5 years now.
Right?! I have looked randomly throughout the years on it but never tried it on in person. It always looked larger in the photos but I was surprised how well it fit on the wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I had been considering that model for a few years now, but I don’t think I’ll get pass the design that the markings on the sub dial is not tilted while the main dial is. When and if it drops significantly in price in the secondary market, maybe I’ll add one...
I can see what you mean, but I think it's still well done even if the sub-seconds is off-kilter from the main dial. Hope you get one soon!
Old 27 January 2021, 12:36 AM   #13
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
This is such a great piece - unique and simply exquisite. I'm a fan but once you get to that price point I'd recommend looking at Lange.
Old 27 January 2021, 01:37 AM   #14
JayHantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
This is such a great piece - unique and simply exquisite. I'm a fan but once you get to that price point I'd recommend looking at Lange.
A very fair recommendation. I have been taking a look at dress pieces in this price range and seeing what is also the best value for money. Lange is definitely a brand I like and respect.
Old 27 January 2021, 01:47 AM   #15
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I agree that at that price point your consideration set should open up nicely, but the one thing i love about this watch that Lange doesn't have (at least that I know of) is the design was done cleverly for a genuine need and that single point for me keeps it above them for me.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:00 PM   #16
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I love it. I don't own it, but have tried it on many times and keep toying with buying. I have a VC chrono, but the 1921 is my favorite. The 1921 is the epitome of what I think about when I think of VC. It is unique and it is awesome. Buy it if you really feel it and enjoy it.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:05 PM   #17
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I really like it....I’m also drawn to it, particularly the platinum version. But the price tag is hefty so you gotta love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:35 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I do like the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #19
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I had the PT / blue indices version. Loved it but it was simply too big.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 05:50 AM   #20
Scyb
"TRF" Member

Looks good on you. You should get it

Very unique timepiece
Scyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 01:39 PM   #21
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The 1921 is a beautiful and distinctive watch. I wouldn't call it a great value but there's nothing out there like it and so if you want it, go for it. My wife really wants the 36mm version and I'll probably get it for her this year and maybe I'll wear it from time to time, as the smaller version looks better on my 6.7" wrist compared to the larger version. You might consider the smaller version as well, as the 40mm version wears quite large. Regardless of which version you choose, adding a 1921 to your collection would be a great addition and would make a lovely and unconventional dress watch.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 02:42 PM   #22
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like it. But I like a few different pieces in the Trad/Fifty Six/Patrimony catalogue that I think suit me better.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote