The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 06:35 AM   #1
stanima
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II SS/Gold
Where are all the Lady's watches?

I have my own theories, but was wondering if anyone can explain why there is only a single Lady's watch for sale in the classifieds forum?

I am trying to find a watch for my wife and figured I would look in the forums for some idea on going prices for pre-owned. Well, a single Lady's President with diamonds and rubies is hardly a decent sample size.

A humorous aside, after buying my first (GMT Master II two-tone) 5 years ago I kept asking her if she would like a Rolex. Nope, no way, don't like to wear a watch.

Two weeks ago I lucked into a 1986 Datejust two-tone with Jubilee bracelet. So NOW she's thinking she should have one...
stanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It may develop into another thing to share
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:17 AM   #3
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanima View Post
I have my own theories, but was wondering if anyone can explain why there is only a single Lady's watch for sale in the classifieds forum?

I am trying to find a watch for my wife and figured I would look in the forums for some idea on going prices for pre-owned. Well, a single Lady's President with diamonds and rubies is hardly a decent sample size.

A humorous aside, after buying my first (GMT Master II two-tone) 5 years ago I kept asking her if she would like a Rolex. Nope, no way, don't like to wear a watch.

Two weeks ago I lucked into a 1986 Datejust two-tone with Jubilee bracelet. So NOW she's thinking she should have one...
Have you checked on Chrono24?
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

There in the display cases in AD windows
Old 25 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #5
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

One benefit is you should have no problem going into an AD and trying on many Lady Datejusts. Those are all I see in most AD cases.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:55 PM   #7
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

It’s because we get our one special watch and stick with it! No flipping! Next month will be 20 years of my ladies’ Yachtmaster. My friends with Rolex watches also get the one watch and keep it for decades. As a general rule, women rotate more shoes, purses, and other jewelry. Over a decade a woman may own one watch but many necklaces, bracelets, etc.

Selection varies but I do see gray dealers with them.

I also see many ladies’ watches at AD. The problem is that some of the smaller sizes have been discontinued (like my 29mm Yachtmaster).
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:37 PM   #8
stanima
"TRF" Member

I would love to see more watches at an AD, but did you guys suggesting that notice that I live in Montana? The one AD within 200 miles has about 12 watches in their display case, none of which were Lady's.

I'll look on Chrono24...
Old 25 January 2021, 03:41 PM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I would love to see more watches at an AD, but did you guys suggesting that notice that I live in Montana? The one AD within 200 miles has about 12 watches in their display case, none of which were Lady's.

I'll look on Chrono24...
Not an easy task
Good luck

Lord knows it's hard enough here.
It took me months to buy my wife's watch and we have 3 dealers within a 1.5 hour drive of me.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 04:24 PM   #10
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

The funny part is that "everybody" claims that buyers of steel sport Rolex alos need to buy "lady TT DJs" they don't want nor need. If that is indeed the case in a large scale; why aren't all these bundle-DJ-lady-watches for sale everywhere then?
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 05:18 PM   #11
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

An AD would bite your hand off if you wanted a ladies model.

Truth is, many females are now sizing up. My wife had a 36mm Rolex, and now wears a 40mm ceramic GMT. Many other females I know wear bigger watches.

The days of females wanting the small datejust is numbered IMO
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:09 PM   #12
Ihatecheese
Banned

I think most women aren't so caught up in the pursuit of the Pokémon like Rolex collecting of the gents models and the comedy of male purchase validation. Perhaps they buy or are gifted and actually wear them. My wife cares not of the internet's opinion of her watch or jewellery.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:32 AM   #13
seabass23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:

I've often wondered this myself so I asked my wife for her thoughts. She believes that many women receive Rolexes as gifts, and therefore tend to have a more sentimental attachment. For this reason, they are less likely to want to sell them.
seabass23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:51 AM   #14
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I have a few ideas as well.

1) Women's Rolex models are less popular, so with many women going for male/unisex models in the first place, there are just simply fewer of them.

2) There are less women in the hobby which means they likely buy one Rolex and that's it. Whereas men buy more watches hence more of them end up on the market.

3) Finally, women just don't sell their watches as much. Probably.

So they buy less female models, less watches in general, and sell them less.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:59 AM   #15
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

Define “Lady’s watch”.

From what I see in person, watch clubs, and many posts here on TRF, many ladies wear the same watches as guys. Watches aren’t labeled as such, 36-40mm is the new norm, and sporty is the trend. TT, diamond dialed, dime sized watches are out.

I have two female friends that are waiting on OP41’s.
Old 26 January 2021, 12:03 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sellers list them as ‘boys’ size watches.

It’s classic Rolex lingo.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:15 PM   #17
DLRIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
An AD would bite your hand off if you wanted a ladies model.

Truth is, many females are now sizing up. My wife had a 36mm Rolex, and now wears a 40mm ceramic GMT. Many other females I know wear bigger watches.

The days of females wanting the small datejust is numbered IMO

This
Old 27 January 2021, 04:33 AM   #18
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
A few years back I asked my Rolex AD how many smaller ladies watches they sell.
He told me that it is very few; ladies "of today" overall seem to prefer larger watches.
He has a good <older> stock of smaller watches that "have been around forever" as he remarked.
As to the Cellini line, they sell quite a few, and he said many of those go to high-level businessmen, and some women, too, seem to like that line.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:40 AM   #19
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

My wife is extremely fashion conscious but has no desire to wear a cartoonishly large watch on a daily basis. Her favorite model is the DJ31 with mint green dial. This one actually seems to sell for over MSRP online so I don't think we can say these are entirely undesirable quite yet... I think there will always be a market for a watch that fits with proper proportions. It's funny how people lost their minds when the Sub got 0.3mm bigger but yet my 5'4" wife is supposed to wear the same size watch as I do at 6'4"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minty.jpg (103.7 KB, 384 views)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:17 AM   #20
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_88 View Post
There in the display cases in AD windows
This is true. My AD has about 20 in stock now. I bought a gorgeous two tone date just for a lady recently. At a discount.
MeepHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:28 AM   #21
moonerbell
"TRF" Member

Can't blame her for loving the Datejust!! I am a "lady"(prefer the term woman but ok Rolex) - DJ36 fits me perfectly. Personally don't think I'd ever want to go smaller (my other regular rotator is a 42mm by Weiss Watch Company) but of course everyone has a different preference!

I have really small wrists - maybe 5-5.5 inches - here it is for reference:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-01-12 at 10.31.01 AM.jpeg (81.7 KB, 390 views)
moonerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #22
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Lots of women seem to wear Daytona’s, yacht master 40’s and smallest size DJ36’s these days. I do consider all of those to be unisex watches
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:09 AM   #23
DLRIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonerbell View Post
Can't blame her for loving the Datejust!! I am a "lady"(prefer the term woman but ok Rolex) - DJ36 fits me perfectly. Personally don't think I'd ever want to go smaller (my other regular rotator is a 42mm by Weiss Watch Company) but of course everyone has a different preference!

I have really small wrists - maybe 5-5.5 inches - here it is for reference:
Fellow Weisser

36 DJ looks perfect
Old 27 January 2021, 09:33 AM   #24
David5807
"TRF" Member

My wife's favorite-

[IMG][/IMG]
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #25
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Used jewelry doesn't make it with women unless it's a huge diamond.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:41 AM   #26
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
My wife is extremely fashion conscious but has no desire to wear a cartoonishly large watch on a daily basis. Her favorite model is the DJ31 with mint green dial. This one actually seems to sell for over MSRP online so I don't think we can say these are entirely undesirable quite yet... I think there will always be a market for a watch that fits with proper proportions. It's funny how people lost their minds when the Sub got 0.3mm bigger but yet my 5'4" wife is supposed to wear the same size watch as I do at 6'4"?
That watch is pure elegance!
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 01:29 PM   #27
stanima
"TRF" Member

Well my wife's favorite watch (the only one she will wear) is a Citizen Ecodrive with a 25mm case (and mother of pearl face). She is a wisp of a girl, 117 lb and 5'6" with very slender wrists. I tried putting my 36mm Datejust on her and she does not like the look.

Which is why I was looking specifically for a 28-31mm Rolex.

I'm guessing this might take a while...
Old 28 January 2021, 01:04 AM   #28
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Define “Lady’s watch”.

From what I see in person, watch clubs, and many posts here on TRF, many ladies wear the same watches as guys. Watches aren’t labeled as such, 36-40mm is the new norm, and sporty is the trend. TT, diamond dialed, dime sized watches are out.

I have two female friends that are waiting on OP41’s.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the generally accepted Rolex sizing tiers are:

Men: 36mm and larger

Unisex: 34mm

Ladies: 31mm and smaller
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 02:22 AM   #29
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
My Mom's

my Grandmother's
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 02:24 AM   #30
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the generally accepted Rolex sizing tiers are:

Men: 36mm and larger

Unisex: 34mm

Ladies: 31mm and smaller

It’s the year 2021

Every Rolex is unisex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk