The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2020, 12:14 AM   #151
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
What is really funny here. Many only want a Rolex watch because they are hard to get and may generate a quick profit.

When these watches were widely available at ADs, most were just gathering dust in display cases selling much more slowly.
Yes people want what they cant have
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 12:17 AM   #152
wb55
"TRF" Member

OP have you popped into Patek yet? Did you ask for a steel Nautilus but if that's not possible you'd probably take a steel Aquanaut if you had no other choice?
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 12:22 AM   #153
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
OP have you popped into Patek yet? Did you ask for a steel Nautilus but if that's not possible you'd probably take a steel Aquanaut if you had no other choice?
Funny you bring that up, I did actually visit the local Patek AD as well to inquire. It's the same story for the Aquanaut, very difficult to get. Calatrava is easily obtainable but I was looking for a sporty piece. Nothing is going to be perfect so I'll have to make some compromises somewhere and just go for something.
Old 25 June 2020, 12:25 AM   #154
WatchNutcase
Banned

For those interested, I've followed up with an article about our local ADs in Montreal: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/best...lers-montreal/
Old 25 June 2020, 03:50 AM   #155
Sonos
"TRF" Member

Cool story bro
Sonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:01 AM   #156
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Funny you bring that up, I did actually visit the local Patek AD as well to inquire. It's the same story for the Aquanaut, very difficult to get. Calatrava is easily obtainable but I was looking for a sporty piece. Nothing is going to be perfect so I'll have to make some compromises somewhere and just go for something.
I've been on a list for an Aquanaut for 4 years almost and have bought and have bought a Subc ND, DateJust28, and SD43 from the same AD. Even with those purchases I know I'm not likely to get one soon. It needs a lot more spend than what I've bought. Sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself and get what's available to you with some wait or go grey and grit your teeth if that option is available to you.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:10 AM   #157
Mitcher4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, I hope it gives some of the newer Rolex buyers some insight into this industry. Of course this can vary from city to city but the general situation will remain similar.

It's crazy to step back and think about it for a moment, these are just watches, as much as we love them is it really worth all that time and mental energy to chase them from the AD?

There are a lot of comments I haven’t read yet...so apologies if a duplicate post.

The only challenge I have to that is some people like the thrill of the hunt as much as the end result. I like the hunt but at the end of the day I’d rather have what I’m hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitcher4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:45 AM   #158
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcher4 View Post
There are a lot of comments I haven’t read yet...so apologies if a duplicate post.

The only challenge I have to that is some people like the thrill of the hunt as much as the end result. I like the hunt but at the end of the day I’d rather have what I’m hunting!

I can understand the thrill of the hunt if it’s not an urgent purchase, but also it depends how realistic the end goal is. At the moment some of the pieces are basically unobtainable no matter how long you wait, you’ll just never receive a call as more important customers are constantly placed infront of you.
Old 25 June 2020, 04:47 AM   #159
Xenon
Banned

https://www.rolex.com/legal-notices/terms-of-use.html
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:59 AM   #160
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Read this before writing the article. They also have a little section somewhere where they recommend only buying from Rolex authorized retail shops, and recommend strongly against buying from 3rd party sellers. If you followed that advice you’d basically not be able to buy Rolex sports models at all lol
Old 25 June 2020, 06:45 AM   #161
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Read this before writing the article. They also have a little section somewhere where they recommend only buying from Rolex authorized retail shops, and recommend strongly against buying from 3rd party sellers. If you followed that advice you’d basically not be able to buy Rolex sports models at all lol
The message is here in this and similar threads but sometimes people don't like or want to hear it.

Yes, there's an MSRP on all Rolex models.

No, you cannot just obtain any Professional model in the catalogue just because you have the asking price available.

Rolex is about prestige and image. Some models are readily available, others are not. There may not be a big price difference as far as MSRP is concerned but that is almost irrelevant because if you want to get a high demand piece from an AD you will have to spend, and show that you have the means to continue to spend, before they reward you.

It's a game. If you don't like it you don't have to play.

You can cut the crap and go grey/secondary. Some prefer this. Considering the value of these pieces I'm very wary of this route. The temptation to misrepresent something must be quite high and how are you going to check it out other than submit it to an RSC?

When you shop at an AD you can see them take the watch out of the shipping coffin and remove the stickers in front of you. You know it's never been opened, serviced, fixed, fettled, parts swapped, polished, etc etc. All the paper work is in your name and whatever happens to it from the day you bought it you know about. Who knows what's already happened to a grey watch? Plus aftersales support, if it's ever needed. And dealing with people who are actually Rolex trained and not just flitting from one unrelated three month sales job to another. Check reviews and comments on here about Jaztime for example...

Anyway, don't stress and idealise too much. I'd start with a more available piece from an AD and see where it takes you. If you really don't have the money to consider buying multiple pieces then maybe grey is the option if you really must have that high-profile bit of jewellery now. There are also still ADs (in the UK at least) who do run genuine lists and even if it takes a few years they'll get you the piece at MSRP; it's who knows what that MSRP will be by then or whether you still want the watch!
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:22 AM   #162
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Nearly everyday at this forum is a post from someone who recently went to an AD and purchased an SS Daytona, or GMT, or Submariner.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:58 AM   #163
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
Nearly everyday at this forum is a post from someone who recently went to an AD and purchased an SS Daytona, or GMT, or Submariner.
I don’t doubt there is, they’re playing the game and that’s great. We all know what playing the game involves!
Old 25 June 2020, 08:57 AM   #164
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
This is all just for clicks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:21 AM   #165
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

No offense to the OP, but the article didn't shed any new light on the subject and was essentially the same as any one of hundreds of posts in this forum over the past few years. If anything it just seemed like a way to use your blog to pile onto something that has been beaten to death. An article reviewing pieces that would make good alternatives to the Rolex models that aren't generally available might have made for interesting reading and possibly helped the budding watch enthusiasts that are in the same position. The article you wrote just comes off as sour grapes, sorry.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:38 AM   #166
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

This pretty much sums it up. Also, when someone identifies themself as a blogger, "influencer" or "instagrammer" you should pretty much dismiss them straightaway in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Ever since I started into the watch hobby, this has always been the Rolex enthusiast's calling card.
"Buy a Rolex and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, maybe even higher."
"You're not buying a Rolex, you're just renting it."

Let's face it, this is the core of Rolex ownership. This is what pushes people to buying: low financial risk.

"Man, $9k is a lot of money for a Sub. But it's ok, if I sell it I'll get my money back."

If Rolex doesn't have good resale value, all of the flippers and half of the Rolex WIS here would disappear overnight.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:40 AM   #167
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

I’m in the middle of cutting Rolex altogether. The pieces I’d actually buy are some of the most coveted, Sub Date, 16500, DD Olive. Not to say the rest I don’t like, just wouldn’t spend that kind of money on them. I’d look at alternatives, because you know, other companies make watches besides Rolex.

To the OP it is a tricky situation. As a business owner I can tell you that I would almost always take care of my loyal customers. That said you always have to try and gain more. What would you do if you were an AD?

It kind of reminds me the opposite of what telecom/TV providers do. They are always offering deals to new customers but forgetting about their current ones. I have to call back yearly to get the pricing someone new gets lol. There has to be some loyalty to current clients.

My idea, Rolex corporate makes AD register buys and monitors the guy who buys 15 Daytona’s or Batman’s. Don’t allow one person to buy multiples of the same piece.

aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:12 AM   #168
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
I’m in the middle of cutting Rolex altogether. The pieces I’d actually buy are some of the most coveted, Sub Date, 16500, DD Olive. Not to say the rest I don’t like, just wouldn’t spend that kind of money on them. I’d look at alternatives, because you know, other companies make watches besides Rolex.

To the OP it is a tricky situation. As a business owner I can tell you that I would almost always take care of my loyal customers. That said you always have to try and gain more. What would you do if you were an AD?

It kind of reminds me the opposite of what telecom/TV providers do. They are always offering deals to new customers but forgetting about their current ones. I have to call back yearly to get the pricing someone new gets lol. There has to be some loyalty to current clients.

My idea, Rolex corporate makes AD register buys and monitors the guy who buys 15 Daytona’s or Batman’s. Don’t allow one person to buy multiples of the same piece.

It's always a good idea to picture yourself in someone else's shoes, in this case the AD.

I guess it's very tempting to use the sought after pieces to bring in more sales, most businesses will do anything to maximize profit as long as it's legal.

Maybe the more loyal and fair route would be to distribute the pieces evenly, you might gain more respect as an AD that way - which in the end would bring in way more business.

If for example an AD received 12 Daytona C's per year and the owner randomly placed one into the display case once per month it would work, but that might attract bums camping out in-front of the AD trying to buy the watch every month and flip it.

The planning would require some good brainstorming but I believe there is a better way than to reward only the richest highest paying customers with it.
Old 25 June 2020, 11:16 AM   #169
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
No offense to the OP, but the article didn't shed any new light on the subject and was essentially the same as any one of hundreds of posts in this forum over the past few years. If anything it just seemed like a way to use your blog to pile onto something that has been beaten to death. An article reviewing pieces that would make good alternatives to the Rolex models that aren't generally available might have made for interesting reading and possibly helped the budding watch enthusiasts that are in the same position. The article you wrote just comes off as sour grapes, sorry.
None taken, as a matter of fact I welcome criticism as harsh as it can be. It's the only way forward that will allow the blog to grow and improve.

If you dive a little deeper into the blog you'll notice that almost all of our content is hands-on watch reviews, this was a unique piece for us.
Old 25 June 2020, 12:40 PM   #170
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I'm not a marketing expert here. But from my understanding, luxury brands has always been about exclusivity and rarity. A brand's prestige comes from the perception that its products are highly desired, in limited quantity, and very hard to get.

And you gotta admit, it's working right? Here we are, moaning and groaning about how we can't get a highly desired watch, bitching in the forums about it, and working harder to come up with better ways to lick the ADs boots so that they'll notice us.

Incredible. Simply incredible. Grown men reduced to simpering little girls desperate for that elusive cookie in the jar.

I would like to apprentice under Rolex marketing dept. I'm sure I would learn a lot.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:01 PM   #171
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a marketing expert here. But from my understanding, luxury brands has always been about exclusivity and rarity. A brand's prestige comes from the perception that its products are highly desired, in limited quantity, and very hard to get.

And you gotta admit, it's working right? Here we are, moaning and groaning about how we can't get a highly desired watch, bitching in the forums about it, and working harder to come up with better ways to lick the ADs boots so that they'll notice us.

Incredible. Simply incredible. Grown men reduced to simpering little girls desperate for that elusive cookie in the jar.

I would like to apprentice under Rolex marketing dept. I'm sure I would learn a lot.

Is it working? My money will most likely end up with AP or somewhere else. I refuse to buy marked up and I won’t kiss ass to give you my money. Maybe it just isn’t working on me..

For exclusivity and rarity, there are other ways. I’ve never walked into LV, Chanel, etc and not be able to get what I want. It’s a strained demand created by Rolex so idk if it’s marketing per say. It is brilliant though. In 2013 I purchased a DD2 Ivory at 28k. They’ve changed. Good for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25 June 2020, 01:02 PM   #172
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:

Yep. That’s why the people I appreciate most on these forum are members who have done their due diligence on a variety of different brands and buy watches based on quality and design they like no matter the company. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people I respect who are Rolex only people, but that’s because they have investigated other brands and truly find they like Rolex best. However, in my experience, however brief, there are a large contingent who either want Rolex for the hype and name value, or for the value retention/appreciation, and know or don’t care to know anything about watches. People who say things like don’t buy an Omega, regardless of the high quality, because it loses value compared to Rolex.

And Rolex marketing department laughs all the way to the bank. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Sub, but my eyes were opened so to speak when I got my Omega Planet Ocean, as to the very high quality of it. Now thinking the Rolex premium is based on a lot of hype and smoke and mirrors.
Old 25 June 2020, 01:02 PM   #173
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
If for example an AD received 12 Daytona C's per year and the owner randomly placed one into the display case once per month it would work, but that might attract bums camping out in-front of the AD trying to buy the watch every month and flip it.
This is exactly what would happen. In fact many would stalk the AD to find out the exact day and time they receive shipments. Some will even pay off key employees to give them a heads up. The gaming and abuse would be legendary.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:03 PM   #174
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
Is it working? My money will most likely end up with AP or somewhere else. I refuse to buy marked up and I won’t kiss ass to give you my money. Maybe it just isn’t working on me..

For exclusivity and rarity, there are other ways. I’ve never walked into LV, Chanel, etc and not be able to get what I want. It’s a strained demand created by Rolex so idk if it’s marketing per say. It is brilliant though. In 2013 I purchased a DD2 Ivory at 28k. They’ve changed. Good for them

I'm in the same boat as you so it's not working for some people like us, but I suspect it's probably working on many others.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:01 AM   #175
xriddle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just published a blog post about my experience trying to purchase SS sports models from various ADs in my city. It's nothing new really but just my personal experience and my opinion of the whole "sport model shortage" situation.

I would copy and paste it over here but it's quite long so here is the direct link: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/role...orized-dealer/
From a fellow Montrealer great article and great blog. keep it up... Insightful as it is ...i have all but given-up on ever getting a Hulk ...
xriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 06:22 AM   #176
xriddle
"TRF" Member

My first-hand experience with one of the ADs in my area, which i won't name, was via a colleague who's social circle and activities have him bumping shoulders with an AD decision-maker. A few nights of exclusive, posh party run-ins during Grand Prix weekend with said manager and he got a BLRO Pepsi within 2 weeks. Not even a Rolex fan. No mythical list. The watch was on a local classified site within days at 10K over sticker. I had visited the same AD multiple times, spoke to the same "manager" looking for a Pepsi or Hulk but apparently I was not important enough or part of the right social circles to merit a callback. I guess being a socialite vs shy and introverted can help in landing that coveted piece.
xriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 06:47 AM   #177
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by xriddle View Post
My first-hand experience with one of the ADs in my area, which i won't name, was via a colleague who's social circle and activities have him bumping shoulders with an AD decision-maker. A few nights of exclusive, posh party run-ins during Grand Prix weekend with said manager and he got a BLRO Pepsi within 2 weeks. Not even a Rolex fan. No mythical list. The watch was on a local classified site within days at 10K over sticker. I had visited the same AD multiple times, spoke to the same "manager" looking for a Pepsi or Hulk but apparently I was not important enough or part of the right social circles to merit a callback. I guess being a socialite vs shy and introverted can help in landing that coveted piece.

I’ve noticed something similar. sales associate at ADs who run Instagram accounts will have a post or 2 with an “influencer” picking up a hot model. Makes business sense though but pushes me even further from the brand. I picked up a brand new Big Pilot on the grey market for 40% off. I’m also looking at vacheron.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #178
VK1984
"TRF" Member

Enjoyable read - both the article from the OP and the subsequent discussion which followed. Some great gems of advice here and thanks to all for sharing their experiences.
VK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 07:06 AM   #179
ghassett98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t doubt there is, they’re playing the game and that’s great. We all know what playing the game involves!
Since 9/2019, I've gotten a 116610, 126710 BLNR, and 126600 from my AD. No previous purchase history, no bundling.
ghassett98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 10:46 AM   #180
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I’ve noticed something similar. sales associate at ADs who run Instagram accounts will have a post or 2 with an “influencer” picking up a hot model. Makes business sense though but pushes me even further from the brand. I picked up a brand new Big Pilot on the grey market for 40% off. I’m also looking at vacheron.

This.

I ended up buying an AP, and have plans to get another (Diver or Chrono). My single AP could have been two rolexes. But whatever, the 15500 blows almost every Rolex away IMO

Tags
authorized , dealer , list , rolex , wait