The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2020, 09:54 AM   #31
Dsegel
"TRF" Member

Took me some bracelet adjusting to get it dialed in- 5.5 links at 12 and 4 links at 6. Glad I did. Love the SD43.
Dsegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:24 AM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
There is a great deal of cognitive dissonance that occurs with some of these watches. Meaning when one spends a boat load on a watch, they have a tendency to rationalize or are blind to the downsides of the watch. Its simply physics, the massive SD, DSSD are heavy watches and the more active one is the more they slap around the wrist even. I mean they offer the same look as the sub but may be easier to source or people like to think they are a little different so they go in for it, but unless one is completely sedentary, simply physics dictates it cant be as comfortable a a lighter smaller watch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That’s me. My SD43 was hell. I did every kind of adjustment with links and clasp and it would never be comfortable. I actually went to a Doctor friend and he could see it was applying pressure on my inner wrist tendons. On the flip side, I can wear my DSSD JC without issue. My Omega POC is very comfortable as well as all my Panerai’s. Others have had similar experiences with just the SD43.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:34 AM   #34
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I wonder how much R & D went into that watch vs the pressure they felt of releasing the biggest, boldest, douchest watch they could to satisfy a questionable part of their customers.. thumb down Rolex.

Old 7 July 2020, 10:37 AM   #35
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
There is a great deal of cognitive dissonance that occurs with some of these watches. Meaning when one spends a boat load on a watch, they have a tendency to rationalize or are blind to the downsides of the watch. Its simply physics, the massive SD, DSSD are heavy watches and the more active one is the more they slap around the wrist even. I mean they offer the same look as the sub but may be easier to source or people like to think they are a little different so they go in for it, but unless one is completely sedentary, simply physics dictates it cant be as comfortable a a lighter smaller watch.
An SD43 or a DSSD is not a Casio F91W, that you wear it on your wrist and you don't even know that you are wearing a watch, when a friend ask me I always say DO NOT buy a SD / DSSD unless you like the history of the reference (comex, US navy, Gas valve invention, etc), and you are crazy for having those 185/215 grams of 904L steel on your wrist! Is for a fanatic! A Fanboy! A Sub, GMT or Daytona is perfect! A SD43/DSSD are perfect ONLY with a touch of crazyness!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:42 AM   #36
sherrill
"TRF" Member

It’s all about your wrist shape. I have flat wrist and the SD43 lugs sits perfectly into my wrist and the glidelock adjustment keeps it from flopping around. I had the Hulk submariner, and sold it because it sat too high off my wrist because the lugs didn’t conform to the shape of my wrist. Not all the watches work for everyone, especially if you’re not able to try them on at the dealer.
sherrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:43 AM   #37
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Not for me!!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:56 AM   #38
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
I own 116600, 126600, and 126660. and I have say that in general the sea dwellers are uncomfortable to wear due to the tall case. Fortunately i only wear them occasionally. i love the sea dweller design so i keep collecting this model.

On the other hand, vintage sea dweller is very comfortable to wear since the case design is similar to submariner. my 1665 is my most comfortable watch.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:03 AM   #39
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Nearly two and a half years here and I love it. All depends on the wrist. If you don't have a wrist that allows the caseback to sink into the skin it can be a problem. Not just for this watch but for any watch with a protruding caseback of any significance. But like I said for me it's close the the perfect watch. YMMV
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:05 AM   #40
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I like my watches to have some heft and weight to them. And I also wear watches with metal bracelets loose — so they can slide up and down my wrist easily. I found the SD43 to be very comfortable and perfect for my wrist.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #41
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
That’s me. My SD43 was hell. I did every kind of adjustment with links and clasp and it would never be comfortable. I actually went to a Doctor friend and he could see it was applying pressure on my inner wrist tendons. On the flip side, I can wear my DSSD JC without issue. My Omega POC is very comfortable as well as all my Panerai’s. Others have had similar experiences with just the SD43.

OP, this is my story and there are comments from me in several threads across the last year. The SD43 caseback just plain hurt me. I bought it 2X trying to love it. I sold it, twice. Not enough wrist meat. That was a good one, above. Me, too. 7.25 flat, bony wrist. After a day or 2, it bothered me.

In the end, threads on the DSSD caseback (feels like a cushion case) inspired me to try it and it’s awesome. There’s just no reason to put the small surface case back on the SD43. But they did, it hurt, and it’s gone.

I’ll be keeping the DSSD. It’s a favorite, but not a daily. Just a fun one.
YMMV.

Good luck in the hunt for your next watch.
Old 7 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #42
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I had one for 3yrs....I hardly wore it.

I had a moment of reflection as to why?

It was because It was so uncomfortable that I didn’t like it, just took some time to accept it.

The case back issue is real. Too wobbly.

Traded it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:28 AM   #43
cattleman41
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR SD43 Sub DJ41
Mine fits great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3B769D38-3EB9-4CF5-A0C0-9B6C442492D3.jpeg (71.2 KB, 407 views)
cattleman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:35 AM   #44
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have a small wrist 6.3 inches at best. Picked up a TT 43 and it wears very well. The lugs are very short unlike the SD. Anybody can wear a DS 43. Get the TT as it seems to balance out better.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:11 PM   #45
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

All that space under the watch just looks bizarre. Clearly the case back should have been a much larger diameter, as to evenly distribute the weight and size of the watch.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:11 PM   #46
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Glad to see some real world feedback from actual owners here.
The protruding case back is just incredible. I can't believe they ok'ed that design monstrosity.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:13 PM   #47
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
OP - I concur 100%. I absolutely loved the “sub on steroids”, it looked stunning and perfectly proportioned dial and bezel. However...it was ungainly, to the point of being not just uncomfortable but a watch that I was always conscious I was wearing, whereas other watches melt into my wrist after an hour or so and I forget they’re there. I truly miss the watch for its looks and appeal. It isn’t even heavy (compared to say my PM sub/ym2/bronzo) , but as you say, it’s something about the back and how it sits on the wrist that’s the deal killer. Here’s mine shortly before unloading it for the above reasons.

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:32 PM   #48
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Too big and too tall
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:49 PM   #49
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I bought a 2018 SD43 on Saturday and now wish I hadn't!

It felt ok trying on in store for a couple of minutes but now having worn for longer I find it's so uncomfortable, the case back is very pronounced meaning only a small patch is in contact with the wrist, it therefore wobbles on the sides.

I've owned bigger Rolex watches before including a deepsea and yacht master 2 but never had any issues with them, I'm planning to take back an exchange it, anyone else had this issue with the Sea Dweller 126600? Surely I can't be the only one!
I tried it on (demo unit) shortly after it was announced. It felt top heavy and unbalanced as well for me.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 01:55 PM   #50
Fenix84
"TRF" Member

Definitely was too awkward and uncomfortable for me. The slab of metal on the side just makes it look like a puck.
Fenix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:03 PM   #51
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Love the look and feel of mine. I wear it alot and barely notice it's there. I have a 7.5" flat wrist which probably helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:14 PM   #52
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

I went from subc to sd43 and back to buying the SubC again
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:29 PM   #53
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
I bought a 2018 SD43 on Saturday and now wish I hadn't!
It felt ok trying on in store for a couple of minutes but now having worn for longer I find it's so uncomfortable, the case back is very pronounced meaning only a small patch is in contact with the wrist, it therefore wobbles on the sides.
I've owned bigger Rolex watches before including a deepsea and yacht master 2 but never had any issues with them, I'm planning to take back an exchange it, anyone else had this issue with the Sea Dweller 126600? Surely I can't be the only one!

Never owned a watch that sits more comfortable on my wrist.
Mine is 7.5” and not flat, a muscle is present make the shape of my top wrist a bit wavy yet the SD43 sits there perfectly well. The protruding caseback is what makes it so comfortable for me, it lifts the case and crown from sinking into my skin.
I’m wearing mine without the diver extension, snug and above the wrist bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2020, 02:38 PM   #54
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Thanks for so many replies and it's good to know I'm not the only one with the issue.
I had removed the divers extension and spent time removing links so the fit was spot on for me, back to a subC on Saturday!
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:32 PM   #55
Denvertimeguy
Banned

I basically have one of each model minus Daytona and Explorer and I just recently picked up a TT SD43 and it’s been all I’ve worn the last week! I have bigger wrist and absolutely love the way it sits and now I’m honestly looking at all my 40mm as “small”
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:43 PM   #56
planemad
"TRF" Member

The SD43 that I have I would not say is uncomfortable, what I will say is I have an explorer 2 and with that being Ultra comfortable it does make everything else feel different.

I have not found a more comfortable pice than the exp 2
planemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 04:31 PM   #57
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for so many replies and it's good to know I'm not the only one with the issue.
I had removed the divers extension and spent time removing links so the fit was spot on for me, back to a subC on Saturday!
Yeah, I’ve always had this issue with Sea Dwellers. It’s a running joke with some of my friends now. The process goes:

1. See photos of Sea Dweller
2. Fall in love with Sea Dweller
3. Search for the perfect Sea Dweller
4. Acquire the perfect Sea Dweller
5. Put Sea Dweller on wrist
6. Hate Sea Dweller due to sticky-out case back
7. Sell Sea Dweller
8. Wait 6-12 months
9. Repeat process
Old 7 July 2020, 05:12 PM   #58
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If you do some research on here the case back is one of the major issues people, to include myself, have with the SD43...maybe the only one preventing it from being the perfect large diver imo.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 07:36 PM   #59
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

That picture illustrates the problem perfectly.
Old 7 July 2020, 07:49 PM   #60
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
An SD43 or a DSSD is not a Casio F91W, that you wear it on your wrist and you don't even know that you are wearing a watch, when a friend ask me I always say DO NOT buy a SD / DSSD unless you like the history of the reference (comex, US navy, Gas valve invention, etc), and you are crazy for having those 185/215 grams of 904L steel on your wrist! Is for a fanatic! A Fanboy! A Sub, GMT or Daytona is perfect! A SD43/DSSD are perfect ONLY with a touch of crazyness!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
I'm not sure I agree on this. I have never had a SD but I really don't like the Sub / GMT case and I certainly prefer the SD43 based on pure aesthetics. I would't define myself a "Fanboy" for this...
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote