The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #91
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
I was with him at the beginning until he started BSing us about the Explorer I not being a good fit on his 6.5 inch wrist . Yet somehow the Daytona, BLRO and Submariner with its super case would fit him very well???
I have a feeling your AD smelled your BS as well when you told him that sorry excuse, and he labelled you as a potential flipper. your age probably does not help either, lots of young millenials have joined this hobby in the recent years, who are even willing to go in debt to acquire these watches to resell them for a profit. And not the best idea as well to ask for three of the most hyped references without any purchase history. you should have just sticked to one model as a first time buyer, you would have looked more serious as a potential long-term customer to the store.

Anyway, you are probably better off going on the grey market for now. there is a nice canadian forum if you want to purchase in canada and avoid nasty duties and sales taxes. Good luck with your future purchases OP.
Sorry you feel BS'ed by my wrist size, never heard that one before. I actually hated how the explorer 1 fit on me I would never buy it for myself, especially wouldn't buy it just to build a relationship with a shop.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:42 PM   #92
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The market is what it is. Rolex is already at full production, from what we can surmise, with about a million watches a year being built. Rolex is committed to being a full line producer and therefore, also produces Cellini, PM and TT models. Contrary to what many people think the company sells a lot TT and PM models. Obviously, many people entering the Rolex market now think the only Rolex watches worth having are the SS sports models and resent the fact Rolex does not just produce these models to better meet the current demand. As long as the SS demand remains what it is and Rolex maintains its full line of products, there will not be enough supply to meet demand and the dealers will sell the hard to get pieces to their VIP clients. This is true of any business selling hard to get goods, whatever the reason, at any given moment whether its construction materials, handbags or watches. The irony of all this is the overall watch is terrible and worsening with most brands going unsold unless at major discounts and then still tanking on the used market.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 12:15 AM   #93
zelaya
"TRF" Member

Cool story
zelaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 12:55 AM   #94
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I just published a blog post about my experience trying to purchase SS sports models from various ADs in my city. It's nothing new really but just my personal experience and my opinion of the whole "sport model shortage" situation.

I would copy and paste it over here but it's quite long so here is the direct link: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/role...orized-dealer/
I thought the Blog was very interesting and I can relate to most of it. As I went through the same issue but for not nearly as long. Some AD's are just complete morons and we have to just accept that. No chance I am wanting to spend $10k or $15k just to maybe be accepted into a secret society. Would you buy a car you do not like just so you can then have the special "red" one? Hell no lol. What I can suggest is keep trying as there will be a AD out there who takes a chance on you an be happy they did.

I have found mine and with no buying history purchased a Bluesy and the gf has now bought a Millgaus. I am now waiting for another sub or SD. All of this has taken place in the last 2 weeks!
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:06 AM   #95
Deppe
"TRF" Member

I’ll take “Posts that didn’t age well” for 200, Alex!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=695
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:22 AM   #96
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post

Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:25 AM   #97
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Just buy an AD, you will get big discounts then on hot watches
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:28 AM   #98
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:

In fairness to the OP, recently we've seen near daily posts from members here proclaiming they "just got the call" and, or, made a visit to their local AD and bought this or that sports model.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:34 AM   #99
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:38 AM   #100
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Just get that 37mm yachtmaster.
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:39 AM   #101
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Rolex SkyD is very interesting imho. The movement and dial are very impressive as we get away from decades of old-school side-case pushers to set date, etc.

Nowadays, my daily beater is a Panerai (PAM01033 while i await the 1118). Love the Panerai, plenty of great strap options too for dress up and/or true hard-core sports use too. Panerai is doing quite a bit of impressive materials development, and new movements too.
I like the movement of the SkyD but not a fan of the looks. I see a bloated date just.

Panerai is doing great things now, I'm getting in board with them next up. Currently looking at either the Submersible PAM00683 or the Luminor Marina Carbotech PAM01661. They are much more appealing to me at this time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:56 AM   #102
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry you feel BS'ed by my wrist size, never heard that one before. I actually hated how the explorer 1 fit on me I would never buy it for myself, especially wouldn't buy it just to build a relationship with a shop.
To be fair the dimensions of the Explorer I are almost identical to the Daytona. Not liking how it wears doesn't really wash but I'm sure you'd wear a steel Daytona differently, you know?

If you go into an AD and ask only for one watch and you say it can only be one of the three most popular steel models Rolex make then would not be surprised if the AD pretty much ends the discussions there.

You either get lucky, have the right connections or (more usually) it's going to cost you a lot more than the MSRP of one of those three to actually get one of those three.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:08 AM   #103
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I just published a blog post about my experience trying to purchase SS sports models from various ADs in my city. It's nothing new really but just my personal experience and my opinion of the whole "sport model shortage" situation.

I would copy and paste it over here but it's quite long so here is the direct link: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/role...orized-dealer/
Since the WG BLRO came out I wanted it but couldn't justify the price at the time. By the time I wanted to buy it the SS BLRO came out I really wanted it more than the WG (plus the WG had went up by 7k on the 2ndary). But after realizing there was no way to obtain the SS BLRO, not wanting to buy it for 18k at the time (early last year), I decided to spend more and get a grail watch of mine. It was still a Rolex and I got it for a 20% discount basically brand new with some stickers intact. It is PM. Glad I did because 7 months later the MSRP was raised.

Who knows if I will ever buy the BLRO now. But if I do it wont be at an AD - it is a waste of my time. And if it becomes easily available I can get it on the 2ndary cheaper. I doubt it does. But I do not play the AD game.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:31 AM   #104
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
As the saying goes, don't hate the player hate the game.

You want the same thing that potentially millions of others in this planet do; thus the challenge to even get your hand on one. So to write an article accusing Rolex of "unacceptable and classless" for the market condition is perplexing.

Should Rolex make crappy watches so that there is no competing demand? But then in that case would you even want one?

The fact that you persist to pursue the exact Rolex watches despite the difficulties tells me Rolex's current business model is actually doing fine. They make brilliant watches and the market notices.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:48 AM   #105
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
To be fair the dimensions of the Explorer I are almost identical to the Daytona. Not liking how it wears doesn't really wash but I'm sure you'd wear a steel Daytona differently, you know?

If you go into an AD and ask only for one watch and you say it can only be one of the three most popular steel models Rolex make then would not be surprised if the AD pretty much ends the discussions there.

You either get lucky, have the right connections or (more usually) it's going to cost you a lot more than the MSRP of one of those three to actually get one of those three.
Na you don't get it, when you have a watch that resells above MSRP, it magically becomes extremely wearable with perfect proportions, didn't you know that?
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:01 AM   #106
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
As the saying goes, don't hate the player hate the game.

You want the same thing that potentially millions of others in this planet do; thus the challenge to even get your hand on one. So to write an article accusing Rolex of "unacceptable and classless" for the market condition is perplexing.

Should Rolex make crappy watches so that there is no competing demand? But then in that case would you even want one?

The fact that you persist to pursue the exact Rolex watches despite the difficulties tells me Rolex's current business model is actually doing fine. They make brilliant watches and the market notices.
+1

as said before no one is forcing a person to buy a Rolex

don't like the game go to another brand. if you choose to play those are the rules as it currently exists
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:05 AM   #107
David007Kim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Just to add, I think we should and “have to realize” that with some of the SS-Professional Pieces should have a “higher msrp”?!?! I think we’re all going by what “Rolex” currently have priced these watches at and NOT market value(?). It’s simply “supply and demand”. Case and point if you factor in “sales tax” and the so-called “hype” the last 3 years of pricing seems a little more accurate. Remember “Rolex” haven’t had a annual retail price increase for years at times. Just go “Grey” without any AD Games!
David007Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:14 AM   #108
Librandox
Banned

For most ADs, they will give the highly prized and sought after product to a regular vip customer, whom have frequent business dealing than a complete stranger who just wants a highly demanded item but may not bring regular revenues for them.

its normal business dealings i guess.

think from their perspective and put yourself in their position.
Librandox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:16 AM   #109
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librandox View Post
For most ADs, they will give the highly prized and sought after product to a regular vip customer, whom have frequent business dealing than a complete stranger who just wants a highly demanded item but may not bring regular revenues for them.

its normal business dealings i guess.

think from their perspective and put yourself in their position.

Lol why u copy word for word
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:19 AM   #110
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

60% of rolex products are fairly easy to obtain.

DJ, airking, milgauss, exp 1, two tone DJ, two tone sports

But OP wants something that is highly sought after, yet is a one and done client

You kidding me??

Why don’t you try demand the same for patek nautilus

Think u r better off looking at omega or seikos
Old 24 June 2020, 03:19 AM   #111
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by David007Kim View Post
Just go “Grey” without any AD Games!
Know that for some buyers the appeal of the watch is that it may be bought from an AD at MSRP and become instantly worth significantly more money.
So, for these buyers "Grey" is not an option they want to consider.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:24 AM   #112
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
Know that for some buyers the appeal of the watch is that it may be bought from an AD at MSRP and become instantly worth significantly more money.
So, for these buyers "Grey" is not an option they want to consider.
People in that camp are typically folks that wanna buy obtain something and feel assured that their watches appreciate immediately when they get their hands on one. Seriously, most of them have that mentality and so all opted to want the highly demanded items. I purchase all my Rolex in grey market, I Want them, so I will pay for it

If they are all about horology, please go look at glashutte and grand seiko or jlc. They have a lot of stocks sitting on shelves in the AD. Open champagne for Them if they acquire many pieces.

But they don’t have the balls to absorb the depreciation once they step out of the glashutte/omega/longines/ jlc AD

Craving for that AD experience!!!?? Yeah

Please go ahead and pay full sticker price for pieces That depreciate 30% such as omega
I’m sure most of these brands AD salesman love to serve you

If you are buying two tone or full gold Rolex that has depreciation, I’m sure the sales person would love your business in ROLEX AD. So don’t come and post that the service sux.

People who post these bs are really self entitled and immature loser
Old 24 June 2020, 03:31 AM   #113
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I'm looking at Panerai, they are doing many more interesting things than Rolex.

What exactly are they doing that’s so interesting aside from their use of materials ?
I was a huge Panerai fan but I’m really disappointed in the direction they’re going. They’re trying to adopt a model similar to some of the more in demand brands by closing down AD’s, expanding boutiques, driving up their prices, and simply using materials like carbotech to justify their price increases, while doing nothing in the way of improving their actual movements.

Outside of the BMG tech, I can’t think of another watch of theirs that is remotely interesting at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:38 AM   #114
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
What exactly are they doing that’s so interesting aside from their use of materials ?
I was a huge Panerai fan but I’m really disappointed in the direction they’re going. They’re trying to adopt a model similar to some of the more in demand brands by closing down AD’s, expanding boutiques, driving up their prices, and simply using materials like carbotech to justify their price increases, while doing nothing in the way of improving their actual movements.

Outside of the BMG tech, I can’t think of another watch of theirs that is remotely interesting at this point.

Pam has made so many irreversible mistake that hurt their brand reputation and furthermore, they only have that couple oversized signature boring design.
Old 24 June 2020, 03:40 AM   #115
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post

I love their use of newer materials. I love their quick change bracelet setup. And I really like the no nonsense look of their subs. It's not trying to be a piece of jewelry, and I appreciate the fact that you won't see one often on others.

djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:41 AM   #116
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastS View Post
I thought the Blog was very interesting and I can relate to most of it. As I went through the same issue but for not nearly as long. Some AD's are just complete morons and we have to just accept that. No chance I am wanting to spend $10k or $15k just to maybe be accepted into a secret society. Would you buy a car you do not like just so you can then have the special "red" one? Hell no lol. What I can suggest is keep trying as there will be a AD out there who takes a chance on you an be happy they did.

I have found mine and with no buying history purchased a Bluesy and the gf has now bought a Millgaus. I am now waiting for another sub or SD. All of this has taken place in the last 2 weeks!
Same here, no way I'm spending loads of money on other watches I don't want just to get on the good side of an AD, in hopes of possibly being offered an SS piece. Glad you found a good AD who's doing business the proper way.
Old 24 June 2020, 03:42 AM   #117
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Same here, no way I'm spending loads of money on other watches I don't want just to get on the good side of an AD, in hopes of possibly being offered an SS piece. Glad you found a good AD who's doing business the proper way.
So are you going grey market? What’s the plan?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:44 AM   #118
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
So are you going grey market? What’s the plan?
Yep I think I'm going 114060 grey
Old 24 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #119
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Blue Bronzo ,Le Egiziano ,249 California ,289 ,932 Mediterraneo ,425,422,292J .. I cant complain .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:53 AM   #120
maximilianmuller
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/TBB
Great story man, this is a lot of our experience worldwide. It does takes up your time and energy to sought after these precious.
maximilianmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorized , dealer , list , rolex , wait