The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2018, 07:31 AM   #1
huck55
"TRF" Member

Explorer gaining 5-7 sec per month...

just purchased a pre-owned (2016) Explorer II 216570 Polar a couple of months ago from a TS on TRF and I wear it pretty much everyday. Very happy with my first purchase.

I've noticed it gained about 5-7 seconds over the course of 30 days.

Is that a big deal?
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:34 AM   #2
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck55 View Post
just purchased a pre-owned (2016) Explorer II 216570 Polar a couple of months ago from a TS on TRG and I wear it pretty much everyday. Very happy with my first purchase.

Is that a big deal?

Pretty darn accurate! Consider yourself fortunate.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:36 AM   #3
achievement_unlocked
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer mk2
Quote:
just purchased a pre-owned (2016) Explorer II 216570 Polar a couple of months ago from a TS on TRG and I wear it pretty much everyday. Very happy with my first purchase.

Is that a big deal?
Nope. Enjoy!
achievement_unlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:41 AM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is that a big deal?
60 x 60 x 24 x 30 = 2,592,000 seconds per month
(5 + 7) / 2 = 6 seconds of gain on average
6 / 2,592,000 = 0.0000023% or 2.3 millionths of a percent

That's a small deal!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:21 AM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

Are you being sarcastic because that’s so accurate?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:36 AM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Are you being sarcastic because that’s so accurate?
Haha, yeah. 5-7 out of 30 sounds big. 6 out of 2,592,000 puts it in perspective.

That's pretty damn good for a mechanical watch.
Old 15 June 2018, 08:44 AM   #7
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Yep, that's a big deal. That's about as accurate as you could hope for in an automatic!
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
That's amazingly good! I have the same watch in black, 2018 and am getting +2/day out of the gate. I'm very happy with that. What you are getting is FANTASTIC!!! Enjoy!!! I do!!!
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 08:47 AM   #9
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
just purchased a pre-owned (2016) Explorer II 216570 Polar a couple of months ago from a TS on TRF and I wear it pretty much everyday. Very happy with my first purchase.

Is that a big deal?
Were you expecting it to gain more?
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:08 AM   #10
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Yes, it is a big deal. The deal is that you have a great watch, better than average.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:10 AM   #11
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Your watch is amazingly accurate.
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
This is better than quartz.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:12 AM   #13
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I’m pretty sure about 99.9% of people here would be happy with that
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:38 AM   #14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
I’m pretty sure about 99.9% of people here would be happy with that
If you want, I can run the numbers on that as well. It's probably around 204,212 out of 204,213 or 99.99951%.

It's darned close to 100%.
Old 15 June 2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

... the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomtres (COSC) standard deviation rate of -4 to +6 seconds within a 24 hour day, tested over a ten day period of chronometer testing, in five positions and at three temperatures. Watches that are within -4 to +6 seconds deviation in a 24 hour period are awarded Official Chronometer Certification by COSC and the movement is engraved with a chronometer serial number. Rolex has a self-imposed stricter standard of -1 to +5 seconds per day and hence the designation, "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial of any certified Rolex watch

Last edited by padi56; 15 June 2018 at 05:13 PM..
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:44 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Lol it's outside the guarantee of + or - .0005 secs per month

The guarantee now is + or - 2 secs/day

Though at 5-7 secs a month it just may be magnetized
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Javier2.0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Hey guys, I found a BLRO at my AD for retail. Is that a big deal?
Javier2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 11:52 AM   #18
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Check to see if magnetized
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 12:00 PM   #19
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

that beats my explorer 1 by far haha....
but not my Nomos club
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 12:30 PM   #20
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
You’ve acquired a very accurate used watch, congrats...nothing to worry about.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 05:12 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
... the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomtres (COSC) standard deviation rate of -4 to +6 seconds within a 24 hour day, tested over a ten day period of chronometer testing, in five positions and at three temperatures. Watches that are within -4 to +6 seconds deviation in a 24 hour period are awarded Official Chronometer Certification by COSC and the movement is engraved with a chronometer serial number. Rolex has a self-imposed stricter standard of -1 to +5 seconds per day and hence the designation, "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial of any certified Rolex watch
That's just a internet myth about the -1+5 second standard,and don't read too much in the the wording "Superlative" in front of the official designation of Chronometer.As today its merely a Rolex marketing ploy to give it a more distinguished sound to the chronometer status of their products. Any words added before or after the official designation of Chronometer are merely purely marketing,likewise the wording Certified Chronometer,is a redundant phrase word, since getting the Chronometer status is the certification,but the certification is only at the time of testing the bare un-cased movement.And all Swiss chronometers of the same size as Rolex movements are tested to exactly the same standard as any other certified movement of the same size as Rolex.And today most mechanical movements made with some very careful regulation could meet or pass the COSC spec today.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 05:22 PM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
The word "superlative" was first added to Rolex dials about 60 years ago. As Peter says, it's just marketing jargon.
Old 15 June 2018, 06:06 PM   #23
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

Let’s just say I paid probably 5-6x more for my brand new DD, and your watch is more than twice as accurate as mine. I think you should be thrilled that your watch is so accurate.
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:31 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The word "superlative" was first added to Rolex dials about 60 years ago. As Peter says, it's just marketing jargon.
Have to agree the COSC has only been around since 1973 Now before the Swiss COSC was started in 1973 they used to have Observatory testing competitions and they were to much higher standard than today's Swiss COSC. Now during the entire 23 years of testing these Observatory tests,just 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 96% pass the COSC test first time a big difference now truth be told today with careful regulation most any movement could pass todays test.Back in the 1960-70s just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The other brands. were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.

That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All other movements were specially made movements just for the competition test and not then for retail sale.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.But then for a much higher standard than todays COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days,just Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated the tests in the very late 1960s and the two preceding events the early 1970s.And in 1972 many of Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,now thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only I wonder why.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 June 2018, 06:51 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

Is that a big deal?
Yes it is a big deal it shows you watch is finely regulated and matched to your wearing habits.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 June 2018, 07:00 PM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree the COSC has only been around since 1973 Now before the Swiss COSC was started in 1973 they used to have Observatory testing competitions and they were to much higher standard than today's Swiss COSC. Now during the entire 23 years of testing these Observatory tests,just 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 96% pass the COSC test first time a big difference now truth be told today with careful regulation most any movement could pass todays test.Back in the 1960-70s just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The other brands. were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.

That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All other movements were specially made movements just for the competition test and not then for retail sale.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.But then for a much higher standard than todays COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days,just Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated the tests in the very late 1960s and the two preceding events the early 1970s.And in 1972 many of Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,now thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only I wonder why.
Absolutely. Seiko made incredible advances thru the 1960s and early 70s with their mecahnical movements. They and GP were the first to put out a 36,000 bph movement, too. It's ironic that their quartz movements put a stop to their supremacy in the mechanical field, when Grand Seiko and King Seiko were shut down.

This 1971 King Seiko chrono still keeps near perfect time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (291.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 15 June 2018, 07:17 PM   #27
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Does anyone else think the OP is trolling us?
He is asking about 5-7 seconds over 1 month. Really???
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:20 PM   #28
G'ed
"TRF" Member

My AP gain that much in a day
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote