The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2010, 01:52 AM   #1
unknown
"TRF" Member

The Patek Philippe Nautilus Chrono

The Nautilus is a watch which I will buy one day. Years ago I tried the Aquanaut, I liked it but it didn't take long before I got tired of it, so I sold it. The Nautilus on the other hand ...

The 5711 is nice but nut for me, a bit too simple Than we have the 5712. I like it a lot more than the 5711. The extra complications are welcome. But I'm affraid I would not like the size. It's imo too flat. A Nautilus is still a sportswatch and for me a sportswatch needs to be bigger, thicker and heavier than a dresswatch.
That leaves the 5980.
A friend of mine has one and I'm wearing it for a few weeks. It has everything I want from a Patek. An extremely well finished case, bracelet, movement (this is ofcourse also a fact for the 5711 and 5712). When I put it on my wrist it just feels great. Much better than any 5711, 5712 and 3712 I ever tried. I don't have a small wrist so the bigger Nautilus is superb for me.
The only bad thing I can think about is the price. Compared with other fantastic sportswatches like the Vacheron Overseas, the AP RO or ROO the Nautlilus really is expensive.
Is it worth the the price of the Vacheron plus the ROO? To be honest, I don't know.
When I look at the second hand market, the market does seem to think that it is worth a lot more than the 2 others. The Nautilus stays pretty close to it's listprice.

Now I'll just enjoy this watch for the next weeks. Hopefully I will not like it too much because that could convince me to sell a few other (cheaper) watches, start saving and eventually buy one too

and the wristshots

Old 4 December 2010, 02:41 AM   #2
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
The Nautilus with some complication is one of my grails. I just don't know how I can afford one.

LOL!

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2010, 02:56 AM   #3
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Nice indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 07:13 AM   #4
limenko
"TRF" Member

Hey Bruno that watch is a stunner....i tried one at my AD the other day, absolutley amazing, the watch feels great and sits great on the wrist.

The price compared to a 5712, which i still like better (don't mind that it is thin and i like the moonphase complication better), amazed me, it is a lot more expensive.
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Paul7039
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
That is a great watch. I owned one last year, but ended up selling it. I agree with everything you noted about it -- it is beautifully finished etc. The only problem I had was that it was too wide for my wrist. I have about a 7 inch wrist, but it did not sit comfortably (from side to crown). That said, everything else about the watch was impressive. Let us know if you end up getting one!

Paul
Old 28 December 2010, 02:17 PM   #6
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Nice watch, but for my money the 5711G is the best variation of Gerald Genta's design. What you dislike about it (its simplicity), I absolutely love. I adore the beautiful strap and the white gold case. For my money, if I want complications, I don't want them on a Nautilus. But that's me - and my opinion may not be the way the current wind is blowing.

They don't make them anymore, but back when they did, I just had to have a 5711G.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

I understand that the Nautilus has a cult following, but it's the one of Genta's old designs that I don't understand. (I'm not getting into his newer ones, as many of them are appalling)

But if it pleases you that all that matters! It's certainly a magnificent movement and a spectacularly built watch.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 02:58 PM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Beautiful watch...

I like the 5712, I could never buy one though as I just do not like the date dial.... I looked at and considered selling quite a few pieces for a while to own one.

Its hard to find a good sports watch with complications, I like the GO Sports Evo Perp Calendar but it has a few shortcomings in my book as well.

Although a bit dressier than ideal for a everyday grail piece I think the PP 5960P is about as close to perfect as I have found, now only if they had that in a SS Nautilus case Id be in heaven!

PS the new black face on the 5980 is STUNNING! Id beat the heck out of that band but how could you not wear it all the time??? It would loo great on a black rubber strap.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 05:40 AM   #9
Spencer
"TRF" Member

The 5712/1a is a definite grail of mine. Probably like the 5980/1a a bit more, but not $14k more. Absolute timeless and classic piece. Of all the manufacturers discussed here, Rolex, IWC, Panerai, AP, etc, nothing is like a Patek. If you have the means get it!

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 10:30 AM   #10
WatchTimes

I had never really compared prices, I must admit I thought the 5980 would be cheaper (just always assume moonphase = expensive) but it makes sense the chrono is more.

I think the 5712 looks like it would be more expensive to the average eye but I think Id find the 5980 much more useful in real life.

Could you imagine owning the 5980 and a 5960 ? Drool!

I find a chrono VERY useful on any watch, daily, beater or dress.

I like how Patek puts a diamond in the case below 6 on platinum cases to show its plat.

My problem is if I had either of those Id want to wear them almost daily and I just do not think that would be wise.

Heck I could sell all of my watches and own just those two haha....

Old 29 December 2010, 11:14 AM   #11
limenko
"TRF" Member

Not to hijack the thread....but if we are talking Patek chronos 5070p is the one I would go for if I had the capacity....heck i could sell my whole collection twice over and still not have enough to buy one
Old 29 December 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
WatchTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenko View Post
Not to hijack the thread....but if we are talking Patek chronos 5070p is the one I would go for if I had the capacity....heck i could sell my whole collection twice over and still not have enough to buy one
I like the 5960 quite a bit more myself and think its a more interesting piece with the annual calendar, power reserve and am/pm indicator.

Old 29 December 2010, 02:17 PM   #13
limenko
"TRF" Member

I guess it is all personal choice, I like the 5960 but if i had to pick one i'd pick the 5070...mind you i would quite happily own both :) and a 5712/1 and a 5980 and....
Old 29 December 2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Had an opportunity to wear the 5712/1a, WOW! Comfortable, light, EXCELLENT bracelet, etc etc.

Seriously couldn't find a flaw on this watch.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote