The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 April 2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Montblanc thoughts

Hi all, my first post to this sub forum, but I often read the excellent content here and am awestruck by some of the stunning photos.

I tested out a few Montblanc pens yesterday at a boutique store, I am not fully sure what I was expecting, but everything I tried left me just a little underwhelmed.

I'm keen to add a second pen, and have never tried MB before so wanted to give them a go.

I tried a couple of Meisterstück models, and a LE Petit Prince. They wrote really nicely (rollerball) but I was expecting more weight, and was surprised the screw threads for the cap even seemed to be plastic/ resin. It was a very nice feature that the refill screwed in on at least one of the pens I tried (not sure if this is common on their whole range?)

When I bought my Caran D'ache Léman a couple of years ago, the salesman, suggestively, but effectively steered me away from MB, saying in the past they used to be first class, but now, not so much.

Given how popular they are as a pen maker, I just wanted to share my observations and see what your thoughts are - am I missing something, are there any other MB models I should try? Am I wrong to conflate weight of the pen with perceived instrument quality?

I guess I was just expecting more of a wow factor from a 500+EUR pen.

I would be fascinated to hear your collective thoughts on which other brands are worth trying, Montegrappa and S.T. Dupont are two others which have I have tried in the past that I liked.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 05:52 AM   #2
artschool
"TRF" Member

I have a montblanc starwalker and the plastic has broken on multiple occasions. montblanc have been ok about it but I would never buy another one.

the reality is that its just a plastic pen.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:44 AM   #3
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

I was never really impressed with the MB146 I owned for a few months. It wrote nicely enough but just felt cheap in the hand...

I’ve gone back to a somewhat lower end Parker. Not too precious to use and carry as an everyday pen.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:09 PM   #4
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
First, I can only comment on fountain pens since I don't generally use roller balls or ball points.

ST Dupont pays as much attention to even the most mundane details as they do to those parts that show.

Caran d'Ache and Graf von Faber Castell are equally fine pens.

But in today's fountain pen environment it is often best to look East; the far East and at Japan in particular. Considering currently made fountain pens I would and have chosen Japanese pens over anything being made in Europe now.

Some suggestions.

From the top: Platinum Izumo; Sailor King of Pen; Nakaya Portable Writer; Danitrio Takumi; Pilot Custom 743
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Montblanc rollerballs will drive you nuts by running out of ink quickly. You can actually refill the MB rollerball refills or use 2nd party refills, but still....

I have several MB fountain pens and they are nice, however if you are really on the prowl for a great FP go for Nakaya or some of the other Japanese fountain pens. I have never owned one that wasn't superb. Nakaya, Danitrio, Sailor, Pilot are solid pens and many times works of art in the Urishi and Make-e models.

Take a look as some of Jim's photos of his collection. Just mouth watering!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the replies.

Perhaps a fountain pen is the next move for me...I used to use one when younger, but ended up going for rollerball for ease of use when travelling etc..

I will do some investigating around the Japanese pens in the brands you've recommended and figure out the best option. They really are stunning !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:14 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

I kind of share your opinion, I always thought MB was the best of the best, I'm not too impressed with my Starwalker either. It was gifted to me and I am very grateful, but I would not buy one myself.

I have now set my eyes on the Nakaya deep briar (matte) fountain pen.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 08:37 PM   #8
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
And don't forget the smaller less well known Japanese makes like Eboya.

jar is offline   Reply With Quote