The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2018, 02:48 AM   #1
NIHO
"TRF" Member

No Steel Sports Rolex in Vegas

I visited nearly all the Vegas ADs this week, and none of them had any subs, GMT, not to mention Sea Dweller, Sky Sweller, Daytona (of course). When I asked if they had one in the back safe they laughed at me. I told them this is no laughing matter...for them. None of us must have a Rolex watch, but they MUST sell these watches to make a living. Rolex have lost their mind.
Below is a wrist shot of my GMT at Zion National Park. While hiking a steep pile of rocks with my kids I had a slight slip and heard a "crunch" as the bracelet scraped the rocks. Funny thing is there are already so many scratches over the 11 years I have been wearing this watch that I couldn't even tell which scratch was the new one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.jpg (87.6 KB, 2321 views)
NIHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 02:51 AM   #2
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Awesome watch, worn like it is supposed to be. Thanks for the pic.
Old 7 April 2018, 02:52 AM   #3
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Awesome use o your watch! You’re definitely enjoying it! Same experience in the Vegas dealers when I went last month.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 02:53 AM   #4
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Awesome story and keep ‘rocking’!! Great point on the snide reaction from AD. The salesperson needs to sell a lot more than a person needs a sale.....
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:43 AM   #5
franklee168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN W+B DIAL
I went into the AD in the forum, same type of story. He said only people who would be considered would be the clients who spent over 100k. My reply was why would anyone who could buy 100k worth of watches want a steel watch? He looked lost for words and I left.
franklee168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:45 AM   #6
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Good story great peice
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:47 AM   #7
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
I went into the AD in the forum, same type of story. He said only people who would be considered would be the clients who spent over 100k. My reply was why would anyone who could buy 100k worth of watches want a steel watch? He looked lost for words and I left.
Had a similar experience there in Jan. The guy working there was an ass.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:51 AM   #8
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Did you crack the bezel on the “17” mark? Looks basically perfect otherwise
Msb06c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 03:54 AM   #9
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Maybe they just didn't have any in the back safe...I would think they would want to sell them if they had a steel sub or gmt especially in Vegas with all the tourist that go thru.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 04:05 AM   #10
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
They are all locked up in the safe

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 04:12 AM   #11
damoore
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,SD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIHO View Post
I visited nearly all the Vegas ADs this week, and none of them had any subs, GMT, not to mention Sea Dweller, Sky Sweller, Daytona (of course). When I asked if they had one in the back safe they laughed at me. I told them this is no laughing matter...for them. None of us must have a Rolex watch, but they MUST sell these watches to make a living. Rolex have lost their mind.

Below is a wrist shot of my GMT at Zion National Park. While hiking a steep pile of rocks with my kids I had a slight slip and heard a "crunch" as the bracelet scraped the rocks. Funny thing is there are already so many scratches over the 11 years I have been wearing this watch that I couldn't even tell which scratch was the new one!

Love Zion. Wore my SD4K on the hike/scramble up Angels Landing in Zion a few winters ago. Best time of year to visit the park - you can actually drive in and the crowds are minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 05:57 AM   #12
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
More importantly. What’s the weather in Vegas?
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 06:03 AM   #13
Car32
"TRF" Member

can we see close up pics of your nicely patina'd bracelet?
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 06:09 AM   #14
SamLovesWatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
Haha. The last time I was in an AD and asked about a Sub, they told me I had to be on a list and as soon as they got one in, they'd call me, but I'd have to pay for the whole thing over the phone before I could even come in to see it. I chuckled, left, and bought one from a reputable gray the next day. Sure, I paid $500 above retail, but I'd have paid slightly more with taxes anyway, so I actually came out ahead.

Sometimes I get the feeling these ADs believe they've achieved some special status because they got a job selling watches. There was a guy here who did an AMA and basically confirmed that theory for me. Dude gave off that vibe in his answers. Then again, considering how many people on this very forum who kowtow to ADs ("Gee, sir, may I please be on your list? Please, sir?"), I guess they're not entirely wrong.

As for me, an AD is gonna have to earn MY money, not the other way around.
SamLovesWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #15
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
It's fun to go to Vegas to window shop, but the attitude I have experienced from sales people there has turned me off completely. Have fun!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 06:15 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLovesWatches View Post
Haha. The last time I was in an AD and asked about a Sub, they told me I had to be on a list and as soon as they got one in, they'd call me, but I'd have to pay for the whole thing over the phone before I could even come in to see it. I chuckled, left, and bought one from a reputable gray the next day. Sure, I paid $500 above retail, but I'd have paid slightly more with taxes anyway, so I actually came out ahead.

Sometimes I get the feeling these ADs believe they've achieved some special status because they got a job selling watches. There was a guy here who did an AMA and basically confirmed that theory for me. Dude gave off that vibe in his answers. Then again, considering how many people on this very forum who kowtow to ADs ("Gee, sir, may I please be on your list? Please, sir?"), I guess they're not entirely wrong.

As for me, an AD is gonna have to earn MY money, not the other way around.

I agree with a lot of your points here, but in defense of AD employees, I will say they deal with a lot of jerks for customers. Guys coming in with a chip on their shoulder expecting to be treated like royalty. It cuts both ways. I rarely have unpleasant experiences with salespeople but I also treat people the way I would want to be treated. I am not saying you don't, just reminding people to have mutual respect. That tends to work for me.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:11 AM   #17
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIHO View Post
Rolex have lost their mind.

I suspect they know what they are doing - massive 40% price increase?

It's not like the guy at the SS Sports Rolex machine has fallen asleep at the controls and put the lugs on backwards on the cases for the past few months.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:18 AM   #18
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
I suspect they know what they are doing - massive 40% price increase?

It's not like the guy at the SS Sports Rolex machine has fallen asleep at the controls and put the lugs on backwards on the cases for the past few months.
I agree. I personally buy into the theory they are trying to move upmarket by becoming more scarce and making it easier to raise prices in the future. The Patek way.
Old 7 April 2018, 07:26 AM   #19
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I agree. I personally buy into the theory they are trying to move upmarket by becoming more scarce and making it easier to raise prices in the future. The Patek way.
Except Rolex is no Patek and these are basic steel watches. It must suck for the AD as no watches=no revenue.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:30 AM   #20
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Except Rolex is no Patek and these are basic steel watches. It must suck for the AD as no watches=no revenue.
But that's the point, This is an attempt to be looked at in the same light as a PP. Sure, maybe WIS will never see that, but we are a very small percentage of the watch buying community. This forum is a bubble/

And the 5711 is SS as well...
Old 7 April 2018, 07:32 AM   #21
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Awesome photo! Hope the watch is okay aside from the scratches it sustained in the slip.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #22
Gnboy
"TRF" Member

I bet if you gambled a $hit-ton and told the pitboss you wanted to find a specific Rolex, some phone calls would have been made.
Gnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:44 AM   #23
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
The Rolex at tourneu in caesars forum shops is nice. The Rolex at bellagio ands Wynn is ok.
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #24
drcab
"TRF" Member

One SubC ND in chicago Rolex Boutique. Also Z Blue milgauss and white millgauss
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 07:59 AM   #25
Robbmill
"TRF" Member

Skip the AD in the Forums shop. They were quite rude to me also. Instead, treat yourself to a gelato right outside the door. It was worth the $15. The way I look at it, I saved over 8K by getting ice cream instead of a new watch!
Robbmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 08:08 AM   #26
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnboy View Post
I bet if you gambled a $hit-ton and told the pitboss you wanted to find a specific Rolex, some phone calls would have been made.
I've always wondered if this is true. Then again, if we're talking about that kind of "whale" gambler they probably already have the means to get the watch they want due to significant previous purchase history.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 08:13 AM   #27
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I really cant understand how all these brick and mortar stores stay open not selling anything. Only thing I can think of is they only sell to the gray market.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 08:19 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
While I think this will be the policy in future to help them survive the tightening watch market, for now their priority is starving greys and flippers, and even if they have reduced supply a little to help achieve this, it is the huge overdemand that has created this situation, that perversely grows as every month of high prices continues.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 08:21 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
I really cant understand how all these brick and mortar stores stay open not selling anything. Only thing I can think of is they only sell to the gray market.
I don't know how UK ADs are doing it as this has been going on for a year and a half, can't believe DJ sales are enough, they seem always to be full of them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 08:21 AM   #30
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Nice to see a watch being "worn". Great pic. Wonder what the Vegas stock will look like at the GTG? Be a little weird if they do not have any pro models to display for us.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote