The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2018, 01:42 AM   #1
hensleyac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue 116618
The Levels of "Sellability" of a watch

I see posts that ask "should I buy this watch, it is missing..." Lets see if we can rank best through worst related to missing components.

This came to mind and I thought I'd throw it out to see what you all think. Keep in mind this assumes the watch and strap/bracelet is complete and in "gently used" but excellent condition with all protective stickers removed in all scenarios.

As well we will assume it is less than 15 years old and is a high quality brand (Rolex, AP, etc).

What is included in the sale... 1 is best and 8 is worst.

1- Everything: Watch as described, all boxes, all warranty cards/sleeves, manuals, all hang tags, bezel protector, all links and original receipt. (nothing missing from AD delivery).

2- #1 Condition minus original original receipt.

3- #2 Condition minus bezel protector

4- #3 Condition minus hangtags

5- #4 Condition minus outside cardboard box/sleeve

6- #5 Condition minus manuals/books

7- #6 Condition minus warranty card and holder

8- #7 Condition minus the high quality hinged box (Watch ONLY)

Of course missing links or watch parts is NOT GOOD but we assume here that the watch itself is complete.
hensleyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 01:56 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I have purchased many watches NIB from my ADs, some LNIB from Trusted Sellers and several over the years - just the watch - no boxes, papers etc.

For me - only three things matter — price, condition and provenance. (Same things are applicable for my wine collecting)

In the grand scheme of things - I couldn’t care less about hang tags, bezel protectors, boxes or even warranty cards. I wear and enjoy the watches.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:05 AM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Op, if you do a search you may find some insight to your questions. This topic is frequently discussed and debated here to me end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I have purchased many watches NIB from my ADs, some LNIB from Trusted Sellers and several over the years - just the watch - no boxes, papers etc.

For me - only three things matter — price, condition and provenance. (Same things are applicable for my wine collecting)

In the grand scheme of things - I couldn’t care less about hang tags, bezel protectors, boxes or even warranty cards. I wear and enjoy the watches.

Just my .02

i agree.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:33 AM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I’ve aeen several complete sets without warranty or reciept as I believe original owners like to have some anonymity.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 04:44 AM   #6
hensleyac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue 116618
Quote:

Just my .02

Thanks for your reply. I really don't have a question. I know what I buy and I agree with you that price, condition and provenance are key components but I still don't buy a piece that isn't a 5 or better on this list and honestly I prefer a #1.

As some have said in the below post "why buy a piece with all the goodies missing when there are plenty that are complete to chose from".

In looking through several threads here I see this comes up a lot.
For Example: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=609806

Your a wine guy, have you heard of VeChain? They are a blockchain solution looking to vastly lift the curtain on fake/replica goods. They claim over 50% of the wine in China is fake. To your point, they are working to solve the provenance issue for luxury goods. Their bottle sensors can even track the wine temps throughout its life
hensleyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:02 AM   #7
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyac View Post
Thanks for your reply. I really don't have a question. I know what I buy and I agree with you that price, condition and provenance are key components but I still don't buy a piece that isn't a 5 or better on this list and honestly I prefer a #1.

As some have said in the below post "why buy a piece with all the goodies missing when there are plenty that are complete to chose from".

In looking through several threads here I see this comes up a lot.

For Example: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=609806

Your a wine guy, have you heard of VeChain? They are a blockchain solution looking to vastly lift the curtain on fake/replica goods. They claim over 50% of the wine in China is fake. To your point, they are working to solve the provenance issue for luxury goods. Their bottle sensors can even track the wine temps throughout its life

Interesting - no have not heard of it regarding wine — but would definitely be interesting to see what their strategy is and where they would start. Likely would start with some sort of proof of principle - in conjunction with a winemaker or winery...will keep an eye out for info.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 05:17 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Everything from your #3 to the end of the list can be found on eBay to make a complete set.

Condition is mentioned several times in your list but not defined. That’s where the bulk of work to standardize an objective condition scale has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 02:40 AM   #9
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just my .02

Completely agree. My approach as well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
missing value box