The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 December 2019, 08:29 AM   #1
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Petition for Rolex's Response for the Blueberry GMT

Hello all,

I've created an online petition for Rolex to finally address the authenticity of the "Blueberry GMT-Master" insert bezel. While I suspect Rolex never made them, and don't see any evidence to support the position that they did, I think the fact that so many respected watch dealers sell them means the community could benefit from getting the final word.

In the petition, I ask for an answer in no uncertain terms, which- even assuming the Isabelle Humm letter is actually legitimate- has yet to be done.

I believe Rolex can answer this question, as they've had the basic corporate structure, record-keeping, and quality control for decades to give us a proper answer.

The sake for finding out isn't just curiosity. I think it's important for collectors to know that the premium they're paying toward these bezel inserts is justified, and that the dealers and auction houses are able to stand by their watches.

Also- while I respect a good debate, I don't mean to make one here (or any of the subsequent name-calling). I think people have presented fine arguments as why one shouldn't buy a blueberry bezel, but this thread isn't about that. I just think Rolex could do a lot of good providing a response. I welcome any suggestions/proposed changes to the petition if need be.
Old 13 December 2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Fire bloke
Banned

Is it April?
Old 13 December 2019, 08:35 AM   #3
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire bloke View Post
Is it April?
Ha ha, no.

Some members here suggested the creation of a petition. I decided to make one.
Old 13 December 2019, 08:39 AM   #4
Ihatecheese
Banned

That's passion right there!
Old 13 December 2019, 08:40 AM   #5
exador
Banned

I'm in, but you need to drop this question:

4. Is it possible for a rogue Rolex employee or a third party parts provider to have manufactured an all-blue bezel, so that through some channel, the bezel could appear on a Rolex GMT-Master?

And reword this (too combative):

Addressing these concerns not only sets the record straight for many who have paid steep premiums on said watches, but also gives the chance for respectable vintage watch dealers to do right by their customers if need be- and for the public to know who’s a trustworthy watch dealer and who is not.
Old 13 December 2019, 08:41 AM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Tiddling in the wind
Old 13 December 2019, 08:42 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post

4. Is it possible for a rogue Rolex employee or a third party parts provider to have manufactured an all-blue bezel, so that through some channel, the bezel could appear on a Rolex GMT-Master?
I agree. An answer from Rolex would only be speculation and we don't need any more speculation.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 13 December 2019, 08:42 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I'll watch this with interest. I predict Rolex will not respond.
Old 13 December 2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

As long as we're petitioning, let's ask Rolex to provide extracts from their archives. Any other items for the wish-list?
Old 13 December 2019, 09:10 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I took a couple minutes and tuned-up the petition as found below. I've omitted parts of it and added verbiage elsewhere.

To any historian, record-keeper, or archivist at Rolex SA, Rolex is hereby petitioned to provide any information available regarding the GMT bezel insert referred to as the “Blueberry” which is a solid blue bezel insert with silver numerals sold and or found on vintage GMT-MASTER 1675/16750 models.

Due to questions and the nature of this inserts legitimacy, this petition is presented to Rolex SA to determine whether this “blueberry” insert was ever made for Rolex or installed on any Rolex GMTs or whether it was available as a service part. We expect that a company with the resources, manufacturing processes, and quality control that Rolex SA should have the records to provide an authoritative answer to this question.

For the past couple of decades, the infamous blue GMT bezel insert that appeared on the market in the early 2000s commanded not only the awe and wonder of many Rolex collectors, but also sparked discussion and fierce debate as to whether these blue bezel inserts (nicknamed “Blueberry” inserts) are genuine, authentic bezel inserts authorized and made for Rolex.

The “blueberry” insert’s authenticity has been called into question in the past and continues to be called into question with prices for these inserts demanding $15,000 to $25,000 premiums for vintage GMTs that have been fit with this bezel insert. Furthermore, in an age where disinformation runs rampant on the internet and elsewhere, various documents have been shared lately that imply the “Blueberry” bezel inserts are not a Rolex product. As an example, this image, taken from Instagram, depicts an alleged letter from a Rolex employee by the name of “Isabelle Humm” who wrote a memo on Rolex letterhead that indicated to her knowledge, there has never been a Rolex all-blue GMT bezel insert. One question that arises now from Rolex collectors is whether the Hume letter is even genuine.

This petition requests that Rolex address the following concerns:

1. Has Rolex ever sold a GMT-Master reference 1675 with an all-blue bezel insert, as displayed in the petition's image
2. Has Rolex ever used, or sanctioned the use of, through its authorized service centers/dealers, the blue GMT bezel
insert as a component available for owner’s to purchase
3. Has Rolex ever sold, either directly or through its authorized retailers, the solid blue “Blueberry” inserts as an
optional purchase to GMT owners

Addressing these concerns will hopefully put to rest the concerns and questions Rolex collectors have regarding the GMT insert referred to as the "Blueberry."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171016_175738.sm.jpg (257.7 KB, 711 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 13 December 2019, 09:56 AM   #11
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I took a couple minutes and tuned-up the petition as found below. I've omitted parts of it and added verbiage elsewhere.

To any historian, record-keeper, or archivist at Rolex SA, Rolex is hereby petitioned to provide any information available regarding the GMT bezel insert referred to as the “Blueberry” which is a solid blue bezel insert with silver numerals sold and or found on vintage GMT-MASTER 1675/16750 models.

Due to questions and the nature of this inserts legitimacy, this petition is presented to Rolex SA to determine whether this “blueberry” insert was ever made for Rolex or installed on any Rolex GMTs or whether it was available as a service part. We expect that a company with the resources, manufacturing processes, and quality control that Rolex SA should have the records to provide an authoritative answer to this question.
Well presented jp

R

For the past couple of decades, the infamous blue GMT bezel insert that appeared on the market in the early 2000s commanded not only the awe and wonder of many Rolex collectors, but also sparked discussion and fierce debate as to whether these blue bezel inserts (nicknamed “Blueberry” inserts) are genuine, authentic bezel inserts authorized and made for Rolex.

The “blueberry” insert’s authenticity has been called into question in the past and continues to be called into question with prices for these inserts demanding $15,000 to $25,000 premiums for vintage GMTs that have been fit with this bezel insert. Furthermore, in an age where disinformation runs rampant on the internet and elsewhere, various documents have been shared lately that imply the “Blueberry” bezel inserts are not a Rolex product. As an example, this image, taken from Instagram, depicts an alleged letter from a Rolex employee by the name of “Isabelle Humm” who wrote a memo on Rolex letterhead that indicated to her knowledge, there has never been a Rolex all-blue GMT bezel insert. One question that arises now from Rolex collectors is whether the Hume letter is even genuine.

1. Has Rolex ever sold a GMT-Master reference 1675 with an all-blue bezel insert, as displayed in the petition's image
2. Has Rolex ever used, or sanctioned the use of, through its authorized service centers/dealers, the blue GMT bezel
3. Has Rolex ever sold, either directly or through its authorized retailers, the solid blue “Blueberry” inserts as an

Addressing these concerns will hopefully put to rest the concerns and questions Rolex collectors have regarding the GMT insert referred to as the "Blueberry."
well presented jp!

R
Old 13 December 2019, 10:50 AM   #12
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post

And reword this (too combative):

Addressing these concerns not only sets the record straight for many who have paid steep premiums on said watches, but also gives the chance for respectable vintage watch dealers to do right by their customers if need be- and for the public to know who’s a trustworthy watch dealer and who is not.

Thank you. I was on the fence about that part as well- I'll gladly follow your recommendation and do some rewording.
Old 13 December 2019, 11:15 AM   #13
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

Thank you JP. With the exception of passive voice wording in a couple areas, I've adopted your changes. It definitely sounds less inflammatory, lol.

I am still inclined to use the photo I already have there (with the Rolex correspondence in the image) with hopes that it's more attention-grabbing. If you (and others) feel strongly about it, though, I could swap in the pic you provided.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 13 December 2019, 11:28 AM   #14
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
If we could build a momentum and have a good amount of signatures, I think we'll have something to present to a number of editors, Rolex customer service reps, etc- anyone who might know someone at Rolex who'd be willing to either address the question or pass it along.

Rolex does a good job of coming across as "secretive," but it's not exactly the counter-intelligence branch of the CIA or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
As long as we're petitioning, let's ask Rolex to provide extracts from their archives. Any other items for the wish-list?
lol, I don't know if this is sincere or just facetious. At any rate, the worst outcome of this that we get absolutely no response. All it would have cost us is a couple minutes for people to sign the petition. I'd like to think it's worth a shot.
Old 13 December 2019, 12:29 PM   #15
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Great to see someone is actually moving forward with the petition. I would of orchestrated it had I known how to. Originally when I had suggested it, I thought it fell on deaf ears. You can count me in on a signature. It can’t hurt to try.

If it is proven the Blue insert is real, watch out, as I can imagine it may double or tie in price.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 13 December 2019, 12:52 PM   #16
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
C'mon Gents, let's all go for it!
Old 13 December 2019, 12:53 PM   #17
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Signed.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:33 PM   #18
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
Signed! Hey TRF! Let’s get this blueberry party started. Sign on!!
Old 13 December 2019, 02:34 PM   #19
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
Great to see someone is actually moving forward with the petition. I would of orchestrated it had I known how to. Originally when I had suggested it, I thought it fell on deaf ears. You can count me in on a signature. It can’t hurt to try.
I agree, it can't hurt to try. FWIW, it's more prudent to approach Rolex with the documented interest of many here than without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
If it is proven the Blue insert is real, watch out, as I can imagine it may double or tie in price.
I almost don't care about the prices, to be honest. I just prefer to have more transparency in the horology community, and more importantly, I'd like to leave with the impression that the dozens of respected vintage dealers weren't selling a mere myth.

p.s., not to brown-nose, but I've been meaning to tell you for a while that I dig the Cindy Crawford material in your profile. She's my fav.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:34 PM   #20
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
C'mon Gents, let's all go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
Signed! Hey TRF! Let’s get this blueberry party started. Sign on!!
Thanks guys!
Old 13 December 2019, 02:42 PM   #21
2024 Pledge Member

LOL... why not. Signed.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:25 PM   #22
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yes. We need to ask them for the last 20 years of accurate production numbers per reference on an annual basis. We also need to see how these watches are allocated per AD world wide.

Otherwise, we can’t verify what’s being produced and where it’s being shipped.
Old 13 December 2019, 11:06 PM   #23
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
That should have them worried .....
Old 13 December 2019, 11:09 PM   #24
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Let’s have them tell us about the underline, excl point and the white panam gmt while we are at it. ;)
Old 14 December 2019, 12:51 AM   #25
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
Haven’t laughed this much since Farley was on SNL.
Good one!
Old 14 December 2019, 01:05 AM   #26
athom
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (9.6 KB, 518 views)
Old 14 December 2019, 02:03 AM   #27
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
agreed, i can see the petition hitting the desk and them balling it up and tossing it in the garbage.
Old 14 December 2019, 03:47 AM   #28
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Still laughing!
Old 14 December 2019, 04:30 AM   #29
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the s**tstorm on this thread has shown anything, it's that the people who should be worried (sellers) are. They get really defensive really quickly, despite not having any basis to their position.

But hey, I appreciate the mockery- it just keeps pushing this thread to the top of the queue.
Old 14 December 2019, 04:39 AM   #30
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
If the s**tstorm on this thread has shown anything, it's that the people who should be worried (sellers) are. They get really defensive really quickly, despite not having any basis to their position.

But hey, I appreciate the mockery- it just keeps pushing this thread to the top of the queue.
Ah, seem, I read that comment, as: "That should have them (ROLEX) worried", which is funny only because ROLEX hasn't ever seemed to be worried about a legion of vintage collectors.

That said, I 100% agree that sellers SHOULD be worried.
Closed Thread

Tags
blueberry , gmt , gmt 1675