The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you usually able to "get your money back"?
Yes. I just make sure to buy the high demand models, and always buy used. 51 37.78%
No, as a private seller buying from watch dealers, you'll always end up losing some. 84 62.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #91
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
lets face it, it is unlikely the antique road show scenario will actually occur
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:26 PM   #92
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You are in this for the wrong reasons. Buy what you like, will wear, enjoy and not look back. Otherwise, watches are not for you and your money could be better placed elsewhere. There is no free ride in frivolous luxury goods. They come at a cost. Even if its just the lost opportunity cost on the funds to purchase.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:58 PM   #93
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

OP you are lucky that the LN got discontinued or you would’ve lost money. Very few models will make you money, and most will not. Also, like buying a car from a dealership, you will lose money if you trade it in later because a dealer will charge you market price and then pay you wholesale price when you trade in.

I got lucky with the blnr because it got dc’ed and I bought it before the prices went nuts. But on my dj I will take a huge loss if I sold it since I bought it new at an AD and its resale is not very strong. All depends on the watch and how much you initially paid for it.
Old 18 January 2020, 11:52 PM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think the answer is tied to the timeframe you buy and then hold the watch. If you’re flipping each year, then you must be a shrewd buyer to get the best deal.

If you have a 5 year or more ownership interval, you ought to do better than break even.

I don’t say it is an investment, I say that is wearing a Rolex for free.

Yes, as 037 said, you have lost opportunity costs. But remember that if you had invested the $10-20K rather than bought a Rolex, then you could lose a large portion of an investment due to a stock market downswing.

That isn’t going to happen with your Rolex over a 5 year period. And even if some financial crisis dampened secondary market values, you’d still be wearing a Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed

I’ve never liked the comparison to buying a hot stock or the like. They are two entirely different things.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:16 AM   #95
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I’m fortunate to own the watches I do, but I won’t pretend the money I used to buy them is 100% disposable. However, I like knowing Rolex watches hold their value relatively well in case the $$$ is needed.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:47 AM   #96
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
If your money is tied up in a watch rather than making money on a true investment, you're probably losing. The amount you spent on the GMT in 2007 would have purchased about 200 shares of AMZN, which today would be worth around $360,000.

The concept of watches as any kind of investment is an odd one to me.
That, of course, pre-supposes you would have bought Amazon. There is always the possibility you would have purchased 200 shares of a company that ended up going bankrupt.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #97
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

Yes, you can absolutely make money if you know what you are doing. Even with opportunity cost considered. Investment returns are ALWAYS evaluated against risk. Investment analysis without consideration of risk is fundamentally flawed so ignore all those rate of return comparisons that ignore risk.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #98
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I have investments. I have hobbies. They are totally separate. I get monthly deposits from SS and my investment accounts. Everything else is property. Yes there is "value" in my stuff but I never consider potential return on jewelry, firearms, or even coins as long as I get a fair price. I don't buy them with the plan or intent to liquidate.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #99
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

I have traded two watches so far and lost money on both of them. I don’t think I will ever come ahead, however I am collector and selling my watches is not something that weighs into my buying decision.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:57 AM   #100
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Yes. Each of my Rolex has gained in value since purchased. Best illustration is my 16710 Coke. Bought in 2014 for less than $6K, could likely sell today for around $10K+.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:59 AM   #101
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I didnt but it was a different time, sold two lost a couple of hundred each on them....also I am glad that is all I lost as reading stories of folks who sold theirs only to get scammed or have people break the watch only to return it has really turned me off of selling anything.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:48 AM   #102
vgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: collection?
Being new to this, I seem to see this quite a lot, buy a SS piece, it’s a good investment, flip it and so on.

Other than this SS gray prices spike, more or less I don’t see investment really. It’s good for holding value but investing in those things does not seem best idea. Market can sway in a moment, it’s unpredictable.

I’m just happy all of us can afford and enjoy it!
vgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:19 AM   #103
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Every Rolex I have ever bought has increased in value. Usually after 3 years or so they take a jump in my experience
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:23 AM   #104
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Private - yes depending the model. I.e. datejust never. 116710ln, 100%. But at a risk to the seller

Trade to gray: maybe depending the model. On 116710ln, you should break even or make a little depending condition. 0 risk

Dealer: will lose the most $ so depends model. Will take a bath on most but 116720ln should be close. 0 risk.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #105
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
I have never bought a Rolex as an investment. I buy what appeals to me and that happens to be GMTs, Subs and Sea dwellers. I can honestly say I have not lost money when I flipped a watch. I broke even on many deals and occasionally made a few bucks but the profits are spent on another watch. The way the market is on Subs and GMTs now I could turn a nice profit but not buy any new so what's the point.