The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2020, 01:41 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Explorer or Ranger?

Gents,

I am completely torn between a Rolex Explorer and a Tudor Heritage Ranger. I love them both, but I can only get one. I currently own a black dial Explorer II and a BLRO on the jubilee. I feel pretty good that I'll be getting a SS Daytona later this year from AD. I just like the idea of a simple clean classic watch as my other two (and Daytona) are all fairly busy.

The Ranger is cool because it works so well on lots of different straps, great size and I get to try my first Tudor. And it's a cuss of a lot more affordable.

I've had a mk1 Explorer and loved it, but the mk2 fixes everything I didn't love about the mk1. It's also the watch that my son loves and I will be getting for him when he graduates college. He's 15 so I have about 7 years to pick it up. I prefer giving him one of my watches versus getting him a new one.

Question 2....Are the Ranger and the Explorer different enough to have both in the same collection?

Thanks for your advice and feedback in advance.

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:13 AM   #2
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post

Question 2....Are the Ranger and the Explorer different enough to have both in the same collection?

you are correct that the Ranger is really versatile and will go with any strap you can throw at it. The Explorer, not so much.

As to whether they belong in the same collection, you be the judge

Personally I think they wear different enough.

mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:16 AM   #3
chloebear
Banned

Thanks for sharing the side-by-side pics! They really do like quite different when you see them next to each other. Great duo. Which do you find yourself wearing more often?
Old 19 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
The Explorer is my choice. I even contemplated getting a Ranger; however the dial just “wears” too large on the wrist (at least in my opinion). Even my wife who, by her own admission, is not into watches thought the dial looks too big.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #5
AJC719
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, BLNR, 114060
I sold my Ranger and bought an explorer. I initially loved the ranger, but after a month I just fell out of love with it. The way it felt and the way it looks. I’ve had the explorer for over 5 years now, it’s in regular rotation and one of my very favorites. Unless you truly like the ranger more, I’d spend the extra money and get the explorer. I have never once regretted selling mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJC719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Still thinking about the Ranger I see! I compared the Explorer with the Air King when I bought my AK which was my daily for a year then traded it for the Expll. I never noticed the Ranger until I stopped at an AD to check out the then new chrono (which was a meh for me) the Ranger stole the show as soon as I saw it. Ive had mine for @ 3 yrs. now and its definitely a keeper. A great strap monster as well. Im not a nato fan and never put the factory camo on it but I have a couple of Erikas and a few Barton quick release silicons and a black Marathon although they don't stay on as much as the bracelet, love the straight link to lug look. Its always been a nice change in the rotation for me...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I have to say that I’ve been struggling with the exact same dilemma and I haven’t decided yet. I think that they can both work in the same collection. I love the retro vibe of the Ranger with the dial and lack of endlinks. The Ranger looks like it just came out of a 1970’s time capsule. Also I believe that the Ranger has a greater depth rating. The Ranger also looks great on a bund strap which I generally don’t care for. But the Explorer is a Rolex Explorer with a cult following.
Here’s a couple threads to confuse you even more.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=Ranger+club

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=Explorer+club

Yep, I’m in the same boat!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #8
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Still thinking about the Ranger I see! I compared the Explorer with the Air King when I bought my AK which was my daily for a year then traded it for the Expll. I never noticed the Ranger until I stopped at an AD to check out the then new chrono (which was a meh for me) the Ranger stole the show as soon as I saw it. Ive had mine for @ 3 yrs. now and its definitely a keeper. A great strap monster as well. Im not a nato fan and never put the factory camo on it but I have a couple of Erikas and a few Barton quick release silicons and a black Marathon although they don't stay on as much as the bracelet, love the straight link to lug look. Its always been a nice change in the rotation for me...

We always seem to be on to the same watches Nick. A year ago I was between the Explorer and the Air-King. My AD had both in stock and I ended up going AK. I sold it recently because it wasn't getting much wrist time between my Explorer II and BLRO. But I can't shake the Explorer or the Ranger of late.

I do like the fact that the Ranger is a strap monster. I never swap straps with my Rolexes but like the idea of having a watch that can be a little less serious and mix it up.

I'm going to go look at my AD today. Ironically I'm going with a bud who is getting his first mechanical watch and he's going to get the Ranger!
Old 19 January 2020, 03:26 AM   #9
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
We just have good taste. Haha... I agree, its more of a fun than serious piece, always makes me smile. I never take a Rolex off its bracelet. Love the matte dial on the Ranger as well, it just works. Have fun today and check back.

Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #10
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
I own both and as stated above, they both wear differently. Definitely love the Ranger with Tudor OEM straps.

sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:52 AM   #11
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

Rolex. Explorer.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #12
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

I owned a Ranger a few years ago. I never quite boned with it and sold it. I later bought an Exp I and really love it. It is a keeper. I think they are different enough that there is room for both in one collection.

- Ranger, I normally wore it on the bracelet and I didn't like the way the bracelet integrated with the case. The finish on the Ranger was less than I expected, not bad, just less. But I think that is reflected in the price. The movement didn't keep great time but I sold it before I tried to get it regulated. If you wear it on a strap I think it would be a better fit and it looks good on many straps. For the price it might make a good addition to a collection if you wear it on a strap.

- Explorer, I really love this watch. It is a classic, the style, finish, timekeeping, the classic Oyster bracelet with EZ link looks great and is fairly comfortable. 39mm is a great fit on my wrist. Yes it is several times the cost of a Ranger, but one is a keeper, one isn't. At least for me.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:18 AM   #13
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Thanks for sharing the side-by-side pics! They really do like quite different when you see them next to each other. Great duo. Which do you find yourself wearing more often?
It's easily the watch that I wear most among my small Rolex/Tudor collection, the blacked-out rehaut makes it quite unique even with the unmistakable Oyster case.

Just a side note, my Range is the single most accurate watch in my collection bar none. Haven't needed to correct the time on it for 3 years...it balances itself out nicely depending on overnight position.

mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:28 AM   #14
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Ranger 2824

I have a Explorer 2005 that is a fantastic watch, I did consider buying a Tudor Ranger but discovered that it uses the same movement (ETA 2824) that you find in the majority of Swiss watches today..... and as I'd bought a Tissot Seastar (pre owned full set) for £240 I don't think after this I could ever justify buying a Tudor with a ETA movement. (this my opinion and not intended to provoke them that have purchased the Tudor Ranger)
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:35 AM   #15
justintime1986
Banned

explorer, polar white is an amazing watch, that should be my choice.
justintime1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:10 AM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
The Ranger makes a better field watch...better depth rating (150m), 99% brushed steel, blacked out rehaut, better lume, lug holes for easy strap switching. Movement is also very robust, less than half the price of Explorer, and it's somehow kind of cool that Rolex registered the Ranger name in the 1920s, then sat on it for several decades. Domed crystal and red seconds hand are also very nice touches of character.
Old 19 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #17
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
The Ranger is a cool watch. If I'd never seen an Explorer, I'd love the Ranger. However, I have, so I'd get the Explorer (and I did).

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:33 AM   #18
chloebear
Banned

Update from my trip to the AD. My buddy is going to buy the Ranger. We spent a good hour looking at the Tudors and it was a blast. I really liked the Ranger, the steel bezel Black Bay, the blue bezel Black Bay and the Pelagos.

Then I wandered over to the Rolex area and promptly bonded immediately with the rhodium dial 39mm OP. So now I have no idea which way to go, but I'm thinking hard on the OP. Fits the bill for a simple - relatively affordable - no date weekender.
Old 19 January 2020, 06:35 AM   #19
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The Ranger makes a better field watch...better depth rating (150m), 99% brushed steel, blacked out rehaut, better lume, lug holes for easy strap switching. Movement is also very robust, less than half the price of Explorer, and it's somehow kind of cool that Rolex registered the Ranger name in the 1920s, then sat on it for several decades. Domed crystal and red seconds hand are also very nice touches of character.
That is super interesting about Rolex registering the name in the 20's! Everything I've learned about watches, I've learned from experienced forum members.
Old 19 January 2020, 06:42 AM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I prefer the 3,6,9,12 arabics on the Ranger over the 3,6,9 of the Explorer- just a visual hang up for me. However, I just can not deal with the straight bar end links. For me, that utterly disqualifies the Ranger from my box. YMMV.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 08:18 AM   #21
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I never understood the attraction to the Ranger - to me it’s kind of boring , clearly cheaper looking than the explorer (priced accordingly I guess), and uses an average movement found in $1000 watches. If price isn’t much of an issue, the decision between an explorer and ranger is a no-brainer. I realize everyone’s tastes are different , this is just my opinion / 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 08:21 AM   #22
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
can't go wrong with the explorer
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 08:51 AM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I prefer the 3,6,9,12 arabics on the Ranger over the 3,6,9 of the Explorer- just a visual hang up for me. However, I just can not deal with the straight bar end links. For me, that utterly disqualifies the Ranger from my box. YMMV.
The 1950s-style straight end links are all part of the heritage angle. I quite like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (120.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 19 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #24
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Was previously looking at both of these as a gift for my dad.

The exp1 wins out hands down for me - although the ranger is a nice watch it just doesn’t feel or look quite as refined on the wrist.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 09:58 AM   #25
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Explorer gets my vote
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:01 AM   #26
tyncam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 116500
They're both nice references ... the Explorer was my first Rolex and I found it to be a great everyday watch.

I noted your other post on the SS Daytona - I selected the Daytona ceramic *white dial" (looks great and more legible) and later a GMT (BLNR).

Best of luck with your future purchases ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:32 AM   #27
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Another vote for the explorer

Tags
explorer , ranger