The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2020, 12:53 PM   #1
FATO
Banned

I am getting sentimental....!

Up to this point I have been collecting watches for my own enjoyment. While there is nothing wrong with a little self indulgence, I now want to share this with the ones I love.

I had this revelation the other day when my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son asked to see my humble watch collection. (I have a DJ 41 MOP dial, a bluesy, Hulk, SD43, and omega Seamaster 300 Professional). They looked at each watch one by one and started to discuss between themselves the different features and what they like and dislike.

Ever since I bought these watches, they would often ask me “what are you wearing today daddy?”. They even recommended which watch I should wear on vacation or on special days, or when I go to work. I am happy that they are showing interest in these watches because these are the memories that they will have when I give these to them one day. In fact I cannot wait until that day. I want to gift these to them when I am still living so I can enjoy seeing them wear my watches. Maybe I’ll keep the Omega since it is my first luxury watch that I bought to reward myself for getting into graduate school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Heartwarming. Enjoy the moment. My family is largely oblivious to watches even though wife has a couple Rolex and daughter has one. I have a friend from childhood that shares my interest in watches so we talk watches and enable each other.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:04 PM   #3
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Thats awesome that they could appreciate something with you at that age. When you do pass them on, it will be an absolutely memorable day. Congrats on the early start!
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Great story!

My five kids were usually indifferent to my watches until they got older and I got them interested in the hobby for themselves. As I see their interests in my (and other) watches, I am figuring out which one of my watches should go to whom.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Nice
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:09 PM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
That’s really great that your children are showing interest in watches.

I myself remember my father meticulously caring for his small collection and would ask if I could try them on. He always made it a positive experience and I remember those moments fondly.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Heartwarming ongoing story you’re living OP. It’s so rare to find kids of this generation interested in anything analogue :-)
Reading your post reminds me of a movie I saw just a couple of days ago where the old man “a writer” got a visit from his son who’s been detached from his dad for so long. The old man told his son how happy he was to see him And pointed it out to his son’s wrist and said: “ ohhh, nice to you still wearing my Rolex...” then I said to myself, this is a good way to pass a watch, while alive !
Giving your watches to your sons while still alive would really be a rewarding feeling.
Old 19 January 2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
This is nice to read.
I have some 'decent' watches, about to pick up my first Rolex, and while I don't have children, I have nephews. And passing the Rolex on to them has always been a consideration. I think the legacy factor is really underrated.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:52 PM   #9
mattmonay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
This is a great read; I'll be in the same boat soon. Startin em young myself :) Got the small human some watches that help learn to tell time, now he won't go anywhere without one!
mattmonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 08:57 PM   #10
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great story
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 09:24 PM   #11
Director EDTF

Great Story!
Old 19 January 2020, 09:57 PM   #12
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

That is great. To me, this is what it’s all about
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:06 PM   #13
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Excellent story and what this is really all about. I don’t have kids but my nieces and nephews (all under 6) always all about what watch Uncle Jay has on and they are mesmerized by them.

Thanks for sharing and I hope that the love and enjoyment of the hobby continues with your family
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:14 PM   #14
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I completely get it.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:14 PM   #15
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATO View Post
Up to this point I have been collecting watches for my own enjoyment. While there is nothing wrong with a little self indulgence, I now want to share this with the ones I love.

I had this revelation the other day when my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son asked to see my humble watch collection. (I have a DJ 41 MOP dial, a bluesy, Hulk, SD43, and omega Seamaster 300 Professional). They looked at each watch one by one and started to discuss between themselves the different features and what they like and dislike.

Ever since I bought these watches, they would often ask me “what are you wearing today daddy?”. They even recommended which watch I should wear on vacation or on special days, or when I go to work. I am happy that they are showing interest in these watches because these are the memories that they will have when I give these to them one day. In fact I cannot wait until that day. I want to gift these to them when I am still living so I can enjoy seeing them wear my watches. Maybe I’ll keep the Omega since it is my first luxury watch that I bought to reward myself for getting into graduate school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That just be such an amazing feeling. I like what you said about gifting them while you’re still around. So many talk about giving their collections after they pass, but like you said, it will be so great to see them enjoy your watches and wearing them through life events.
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:45 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

A most humble thanks for sharing, a lovely story that brings joy to your next generation, and perhaps the next after that
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

One of my grandchildren has already chosen his inheritance watch (or one of them). He doesn't know it yet. But he will. We have a total of four grandchildren and two children. Between us, Helen and I have 12 decent watches. So that works.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:58 PM   #18
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
What a great story. I bet both of them end up liking watches when they get older.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote