The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Warranty issues when you buy from a Grey

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a Tudor BB GMT from a private seller/grey. I have always purchased my watches from ADs so this is new to me.

Given the date issue with BB GMT, how would handle a warranty repair if the warranty card is under a different persons name?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Starlord
"TRF" Member

Warranty follows the watch not the name on the card.
Starlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
Most of the time?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord View Post
So I don’t have to re-register the watch under my name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Most of the time?
Why most of the time? Would there be an issue with Tudor?
Old 24 February 2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Andad

It seems a Rolex warranty is interpreted differently from one RSC to another and I expect a Tudor warranty could be in the same boat?

You can’t ‘re-register’ a warranty.

You can have it serviced and be issued with a report in your name.

Old 24 February 2020, 05:08 PM   #6
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
As long as the warranty card was swiped at the time of sale, you are OK. RSC does not care about the name and the card follows the watch.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:10 PM   #7
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
It follows the watch I had some work done on a Tudor. Not my name on card
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:44 PM   #8
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I just pulled the trigger on a BB GMT.
Old 24 February 2020, 05:44 PM   #9
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
As long as the warranty card was swiped at the time of sale, you are OK. RSC does not care about the name and the card follows the watch.

AD input the buyer’s detail (email and home addresses) before they swipe it. So the data is with RSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:53 PM   #10
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Sapien X View Post
AD input the buyer’s detail (email and home addresses) before they swipe it. So the data is with RSC.

I know RSC keeps a record, but that doesn't matter for warranty work. I've never had an issue with any of my grey dealer bought watches.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:56 PM   #11
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by importstunna View Post
I know RSC keeps a record, but that doesn't matter for warranty work. I've never had an issue with any of my grey dealer bought watches.

Good to hear that. I have a piece bought from a grey dealer, so far so good.

Old 24 February 2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Phooi
"TRF" Member

My main concern is that there seems to be a known date issue with the BB GMT. Seems like most folks are ok but just in case... I’d like to know there will not be an issue should I need to bring it in for warranty work.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:40 PM   #13
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
My main concern is that there seems to be a known date issue with the BB GMT. Seems like most folks are ok but just in case... I’d like to know there will not be an issue should I need to bring it in for warranty work.

Without pictures it didn’t happen :-)
Regarding the warranty, I would not seat it, those watches are covered and their warranty has been extended.
Being a used watch yours may have been already to Service Center for movement swapping. If not, the date issue will be covered even beyond warranty as my Rolex Boutique manager told me.

Old 24 February 2020, 06:45 PM   #14
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Without pictures it didn’t happen :-)
Regarding the warranty, I would not seat it, those watches are covered and their warranty has been extended.
Being a used watch yours may have been already to Service Center for movement swapping. If not, the date issue will be covered even beyond warranty as my Rolex Boutique manager told me.

Pictures will have to wait! Pick up will be later this week and it is BNIB.
Old 24 February 2020, 06:50 PM   #15
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Most of the time?
Yes Warranty work at Dallas rcs must be original owners name on card with proof. Just went thru it. But some claim didn't have this problem.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:01 PM   #16
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

The warranty will always depend on how the watch was bought. If you bought through an AD there should be no problem. If you bought from an owner who bought from an AD there should be no problem. If you bought from a Trusted Seller who offers the warranty card there should be no problem. If that watch came from outside the US, you may be asked by an RSC for proof of purchase, it varies. If you bought from a Grey market seller that does not offer a Rolex warranty (like Jomashop for example) then you won't have a Rolex warranty, but instead would depend on the grey seller for service. You could ask RSC to service the watch but you'd have to pay for it.

There are many different ways to buy a Rolex, and RSC policies can seem to vary. But in general, if the watch was bought with a Rolex warranty it follows the watch, not the owner.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:02 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Sapien X View Post

Why would they do that especially a email the only details sent to Rolex when they swipe the card is to activate the warranty and AD who sold the watch nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:23 PM   #18
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why would they do that especially a email the only details sent to Rolex when they swipe the card is to activate the warranty and AD who sold the watch nothing more.

I don’t have any bad experience in activating the warrant yet.

Old 24 February 2020, 07:29 PM   #19
peterpl
Banned

It 100% follows the watch.

Sydney RSC head watchmaker said they dont even care or look whos name is on the card and I've had 3 watches worked on them under warranty none of them having my name on the card.

Thats the way it should be. Warranty follows the product or item irrespective of who owns it. Just like a cars warranty.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:32 PM   #20
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

I’ve purchased a few Rolex from Greys (thus making me feel like the prettiest guy in prison). Other than the price hike, it’s no different than purchasing from an AD provided you get full papers. Two months ago I brought my black face ceramic Daytona to my AD and asked them to send it to Rolex for a cleaning and refresh. A week later I was asked for the ‘credit card’ authentication that comes with the newer versions. I brought it into the AD, and even with it being registered in the original owners name, I had a few years left on the warranty which Rolex honored. Watch came back looking and feeling like the day it left the Rolex factory and it was all ‘free’ as it was covered by the warranty.

LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 07:48 PM   #21
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCrown View Post
I’ve purchased a few Rolex from Greys (thus making me feel like the prettiest guy in prison). Other than the price hike, it’s no different than purchasing from an AD provided you get full papers. Two months ago I brought my black face ceramic Daytona to my AD and asked them to send it to Rolex for a cleaning and refresh. A week later I was asked for the ‘credit card’ authentication that comes with the newer versions. I brought it into the AD, and even with it being registered in the original owners name, I had a few years left on the warranty which Rolex honored. Watch came back looking and feeling like the day it left the Rolex factory and it was all ‘free’ as it was covered by the warranty.

Did it require warranty work or was this just a ‘clean and refresh’?

Old 24 February 2020, 07:54 PM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

When submitting a Rolex to RSC in USA.

USA AD sourced warranty card = Full warranty = Fully Transferable. You will see Full Warranty written in the warranty pamphlet with watch.

International (other than USA AD) = Limited Warranty = Not Transferable* Warranty Pamphlet will have limited warranty listed.

* An International Rolex Warranty Card presented to USA RSC may require accompying proof of purchase from International AD. Names on card and AD receipt need to match.
This is up to the discretion of the particular RSC and even the intake person at the RSC.

In other words, the enforcement is somewhat arbitrary, but the legal terms of the warranty allow RSC to deny coverage in this case if supporting documentation is not provided. The terms of the warranty do matter and allow Rolex to accept or deny coverage accordingly.

I believe Tudor has the same differentiation between USA and International Sourced watches and corresponding warranty cards.

If you live in the USA and don’t want any potential for warranty hassle, get a USA watch.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:07 PM   #23
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
At Fleetlord !

Thanks for the information!

Cheers !

J.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #24
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Why buy from a grey at this moment? I’ve read on this forum, the BB GMT is available at multiple ADs as people have been posting. Check with your local ADs and the waitlist should not be very long for Tudor watches. Good Luck.

Old 25 February 2020, 02:21 AM   #25
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVo8 View Post
Why buy from a grey at this moment? I’ve read on this forum, the BB GMT is available at multiple ADs as people have been posting. Check with your local ADs and the waitlist should not be very long for Tudor watches. Good Luck.

Agreed. They are showing up all over the place in the USA. Two in the case at Ben Bridge in Scottsdale.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:30 AM   #26
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
When submitting a Rolex to RSC in USA.

USA AD sourced warranty card = Full warranty = Fully Transferable. You will see Full Warranty written in the warranty pamphlet with watch.

International (other than USA AD) = Limited Warranty = Not Transferable* Warranty Pamphlet will have limited warranty listed.

* An International Rolex Warranty Card presented to USA RSC may require accompying proof of purchase from International AD. Names on card and AD receipt need to match.
This is up to the discretion of the particular RSC and even the intake person at the RSC.

In other words, the enforcement is somewhat arbitrary, but the legal terms of the warranty allow RSC to deny coverage in this case if supporting documentation is not provided. The terms of the warranty do matter and allow Rolex to accept or deny coverage accordingly.

I believe Tudor has the same differentiation between USA and International Sourced watches and corresponding warranty cards.

If you live in the USA and don’t want any potential for warranty hassle, get a USA watch.
this! Very important info here. Don't just go blindly into the "warranty follows the watch" belief. While I feel it should, it's unfortunately not always the case. I've had RSC NY not honor the warranty because I didn't have original sales receipts and a bill of a sale from he original owner.

It's total BS IMO, but none the less, still their policy. From what I hear, Dallas is much less strict about it, but again, no guarantees.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 10:04 AM   #27
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know or have an experience with a situation where you had your watch repaired by someone other than RSC and then Rolex refusing to honor the warranty? I’m concerned to send a watch I had case work done by a non-Rolex shop to Rolex for a something that should be covered by the warranty.. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. My AD says I’m gonna have an issue.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #28
peterpl
Banned

I've never had issues with warranty and RSC.

I source my watches from various countries and it does not matter. As long as its within the 5 year period its all good.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 11:11 AM   #29
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does anyone know or have an experience with a situation where you had your watch repaired by someone other than RSC and then Rolex refusing to honor the warranty? I’m concerned to send a watch I had case work done by a non-Rolex shop to Rolex for a something that should be covered by the warranty.. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know. My AD says I’m gonna have an issue.
It voids the warranty to have anyone other than Rolex repair the watch.

However, if by "case work" you just mean a polishing or something equally superficial, and it was done competently, then you're fine. If someone else has been inside the watch or made actual repairs, though, Rolex will potentially reject it because they can't be sure any warranty issue isn't the result of botched work.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 11:25 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
Any work done by a third party will void the original warranty.