The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2020, 04:29 AM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I would at least get a pressure test.

If it has never been serviced I would not chance it and I would get a full service before taking it near water but that is just me.
Exactly that I use to dive regular with my 1980s 5513 but when in use dive wise that was serviced at normal routine time, and pressure checked twice a year

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #32
timekillz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub+Datejust
Update

Hi folks, update: I got it pressure tested

It shows:
Test pressure : -0.7 bar
Maximum déformation: -3.43 um
Tightness value: +2.6 % /min
Test 1 OK

Test pressure: +10 bar
Maximum deformation: +38.52 um
Tightness value: +8.5 %/min
Test2 OK

All good I assume?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DC5522A2-162F-42D8-807B-10EB40990825.jpeg (20.7 KB, 111 views)
timekillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:13 AM   #33
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Yep. Enjoy your sub. You won’t be going down more than 12m on your first series of dives.

My advice. Don’t worry about the watch and focus on the lessons your dive instructor is giving you
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:28 AM   #34
timekillz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub+Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Yep. Enjoy your sub. You won’t be going down more than 12m on your first series of dives.

My advice. Don’t worry about the watch and focus on the lessons your dive instructor is giving you
Will do! Thanks for the input, now that I know it can handle I'll have peace of mind hahaha
timekillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 05:56 AM   #35
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Diving with a 1990's sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekillz View Post
Thank you everyone, I will get it serviced and tested before taking it anywhere near water. I will leave the sub in the hotel while I go diving for now. All of your inputs are very much appreciated.

Cheers!!

That’s the right decision. 30 years old watch should go no where without being serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2020, 07:36 AM   #36
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Get one of these from Amazon = $400. It’s what I use. If it’s gets scratched or someone sets a tank down on it no big deal

I wear my submariner to happy hour after the dive trip is over
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2050169F-5199-4424-A2D2-110C73CB8784.jpeg (187.5 KB, 101 views)

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #37
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I would at least get a pressure test.

If it has never been serviced I would not chance it and I would get a full service before taking it near water but that is just me.
Good Info
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 12:49 PM   #38
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I would be extremely shocked if your watch wasn’t waterproof. Get the test, it takes five minutes. You should be fine.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #39
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Hi folks, update: I got it pressure tested

It shows:
Test pressure : -0.7 bar
Maximum déformation: -3.43 um
Tightness value: +2.6 % /min
Test 1 OK

Test pressure: +10 bar
Maximum deformation: +38.52 um
Tightness value: +8.5 %/min
Test2 OK

All good I assume?
Yes it will be good. I m not sure if you got the all full 6 gaskets or at least the 1 case back and 2 crown (totally 3) gaskets replaced or not.

But, in both cases I would just skip the TEST2 not to risk to explode the crystal.If test1 passed test2 would be passed in anyway.
By the way 10 bars is only 100 meters:)
You would need 30 bars airpressure test to confirm the 300 meters water resistance test which would probably be exloding the crystal and damage everything inside the dial.

Also keep in mind that the 30 years old probably cracked adhesive that is holding the bezel insert and the pearl might not be holding as strong as when the watch was new. I am not sure if it happens but what comes up to my mind is that you might get out of the water without the pearl or bezel insert....Making an inspection before diving might help.Maybe I worry too much :)
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:17 PM   #40
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Diving is complicated and cumbersome. You will be clumsily flailing around for the entire learning experience. Take it next time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2020, 08:01 PM   #41
jeorge
"TRF" Member

The OP is just going for a nice first time dive. It would be fun to take your sub for the ride just because. Shouldn't take in salt water, come on that's insane comment. OP enjoy the dive and enjoy your sub and make memories.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:25 PM   #42
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
I will leave the sub in the hotel while I go diving for now.
Leaving it in the hotel may be more dangerous than diving with it. I would leave it at home, in a secure location, and buy a cheap "dive computer/watch" for your Scuba class.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 08:37 PM   #43
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
The OP is just going for a nice first time dive. It would be fun to take your sub for the ride just because. Shouldn't take in salt water, come on that's insane comment. OP enjoy the dive and enjoy your sub and make memories.
Under the deep water there will be pressure on every part other than the 6 gaskets...The water will enter under the bezel, bezel insert and may possible take that old bezel insert out inside the water...Because the glue which holds that bezel insert also the pearl is also 30 years old. And, the air pressure test wont assure how strong these glued parts attached...

Then good luck finding your bezel insert under the deep ocean..Also good luck getting a new genuine Rolex bezel instert of a 1990 model watch which will probably be impossible and applying anything aftermarket or used (genuine) will ruin the watch.

The pin bars, screws might also be old and the bracelet may suddenly collapse or the clasp might open and the watch will just go down the deep water and disappear in seconds.

I would not risk an inherited watch from 1990...These things really happen...There is nothing insane at my comments...
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:57 AM   #44
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

I dive regularly with my early 90s 16600 and don’t think twice about it. It’s been down to over 125 feet without issue. While I agree most everyone today relies on a dive computer I was trained using the Navy Dive Tables and still plan my dives using this method so that I have a baseline in case the electronic equipment fails. Having a mechanical watch and a clear understanding of recommended time at depth in my head (vs in the computer) gives me piece of mind so that I can truly enjoy my dive.

Have fun and snap some underwater wrist shot photos if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:12 AM   #45
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
Pressure tests are $25, movement fix/replacement is gonna be a little more. Honestly though, diving with a Rolex seems a little silly since it’s 2020 not 1970.

this made me laugh...the sub was made for the water...

Oh was it really? Thanks for the input I had no idea why it is named Submariner, this is so profound. Dive computers are also made for water. Do what you want with your watch, but if you think a Rolex is a tool watch and that it is still the best option for scuba diving....I digress. Moving on.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #46
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Oh was it really? Thanks for the input I had no idea why it is named Submariner, this is so profound. Dive computers are also made for water. Do what you want with your watch, but if you think a Rolex is a tool watch and that it is still the best option for scuba diving....I digress. Moving on.
It is a diving watch! It is a tool watch! it is a Rolex watch. Is it a piece of jewelry? To most of you on here, it probably is. So leave it in the safe, all the while most of us will wear it and enjoy it. and yes move on...i did just now.
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #47
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Someone should start a thread soliciting opinions on whether they should service their Daytona before wearing it on the track, or their GMT before getting on a plane. Have a good week ahead folks
Old 25 February 2020, 04:58 AM   #48
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Someone should start a thread soliciting opinions on whether they should service their Daytona before wearing it on the track, or their GMT before getting on a plane. Have a good week ahead folks

Haha!
Old 25 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #49
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
It is a diving watch! It is a tool watch! it is a Rolex watch. Is it a piece of jewelry? To most of you on here, it probably is. So leave it in the safe, all the while most of us will wear it and enjoy it. and yes move on...i did just now.

Agree on all points. Love my Explorer and it certainly looks like it’s been owned by someone who wears it everyday to hike/ski/run/swim/work on a computer/go to fancy dinners/ blah blah blah
Old 25 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #50
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Have a service not just a pressure test. Seals are OK until they fail and after 10 years that translates to any day now.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #51
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Agree on all points. Love my Explorer and it certainly looks like it’s been owned by someone who wears it everyday to hike/ski/run/swim/work on a computer/go to fancy dinners/ blah blah blah
that's great to hear...same here...wish most would...hah
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote