The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 09:39 AM   #1
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Does Dial Color really make a difference?

I was wondering forum members' thoughts on dial color. Random thoughts, questions, and facts:
-On presently available watches like the Daytona Ceramic, the white is more in demand than the black. Thus, the gray market prices are higher for white than black.

-On steel Daytonas, whether white or black dial- Zenith or not? Is there really a price difference?

-The Sky-Dweller--Everyone now is hot for the blue dial. In the future, will it truly make a price difference (when the model gets discontinued or changed) as to what color dial it has?

Does anyone have any examples of a "vintage " or older model where the color of the dial is significantly priced higher than another color?

I look forward to thoughts and examples.
thanks
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
My not so random thought on dials is simply this: I buy the dial I like. Whether it is in more demand, has, or will engender a future price difference are irrelevant to me.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by venron View Post
I was wondering forum members' thoughts on dial color. Random thoughts, questions, and facts:
-On presently available watches like the Daytona Ceramic, the white is more in demand than the black. Thus, the gray market prices are higher for white than black.

-On steel Daytonas, whether white or black dial- Zenith or not? Is there really a price difference?

-The Sky-Dweller--Everyone now is hot for the blue dial. In the future, will it truly make a price difference (when the model gets discontinued or changed) as to what color dial it has?

Does anyone have any examples of a "vintage " or older model where the color of the dial is significantly priced higher than another color?

thanks
Won't comment on the Daytona or SkyD questions, they're all about subjective preference in my opinion and always drift to what resales better. *sigh*

As for older ones, yes. Dial is a big factor. From color and designs to numeric choices and even lume or non-lume.

The dial is what you look at and 1965-1995 had some of the best color and material choices, many we'll never see again.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:24 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Dial colour is very important to me when choosing a watch. I don't think I have ever gone for a model regardless of dial colour and in a few cases, extended cogitation and rumination over which dial I prefer has taken a disproportionate length of time, although I usually know what colour I want early in the mental process.

The Sky Dweller is ultra rare. Any model will be a very hot used buy. Blue appears to be by far the most popular dial so the price has gone up accordingly. If they were as common as Subs and Sub Dates there might be a bit more equilibrium, although there would probably still be distribution. Six digit Sub Dates seem to be priced used my dial colour as well as condition.

What sellers are presently asking for blue SS Sky Dwellers is out the other side of ridiculous IMO. But sellers won't have stacks of them in inventory so they can pump one, leave it and wait for a bite.

I like the black dial almost as much as I like an excuse to post a photo of it.

Apart from actually liking the black dial on the SS Sky Dweller, I didn't have a Rolex with a black dial and I particularly liked the subtle sunburst effect they incorporate into it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I like black dials for sport; white dials for a more formal look.

Sorry, no idea or comment on relative value.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:29 PM   #6
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

thanks

The dial is the largest component of the watch (head) — it definitely should matter.

Think of the color selection of a Porsche 911. There is black, Carrara White, Guards red, a whole bunch of other colors, and Speed Yellow. They all look nice. But try to sell a used Speed yellow 911 ... they sit in dealership floors for months.

There is a color for everyone but the public gravitate towards certain colors on certain models. For example, THE dial for a DJ41 is blue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:30 PM   #7
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Dial colour is very important to me when choosing a watch. I don't think I have ever gone for a model regardless of dial colour and in a few cases, extended cogitation and rumination over which dial I prefer has taken a disproportionate length of time, although I usually know what colour I want early in the mental process.

The Sky Dweller is ultra rare. Any model will be a very hot used buy. Blue appears to be by far the most popular dial so the price has gone up accordingly. If they were as common as Subs and Sub Dates there might be a bit more equilibrium, although there would probably still be distribution. Six digit Sub Dates seem to be priced used my dial colour as well as condition.

What sellers are presently asking for blue SS Sky Dwellers is out the other side of ridiculous IMO. But sellers won't have stacks of them in inventory so they can pump one, leave it and wait for a bite.

Apart from actually liking the black dial on the SS Sky Dweller, I didn't have a Rolex with a black dial and I particularly liked the subtle sunburst effect they incorporate into it.
Wow, I much prefer the black over the blue. Never got the blue hype, frankly.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:56 AM   #8
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

why wouldn't dial color make a difference? that's one of the biggest aspect of the watch
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:00 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

No matter what the brand, I buy if it has character and the dial is usually the dominant or even deciding factor.

I like to collect colour dials mainly. I also like enamel dials, pearlescent dials like the JLC and traditional 40s style dials.

Some may become sort after, that’s a bonus but I don’t intent to sell my watches so that doesn’t really matter.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:14 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Does Dial Color really make a difference?
It does to me.

Legibility is most important to me. A white dial Daytona is more legible to my eye than a black dial.

I have no interest in price arbitrage.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:21 AM   #11
vivicorsi
Banned

The dial YOU LIKE is priceless ;)
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:23 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

My experience with dial color is simply that white/silver and black dials work best for everyday long term wear watches. If it's an only Rolex, or main watch, I would stay away from different colors.

If it's an "accent" watch that you rotate in and out of your lineup, then different colors are great. I have a blue and a beige watch that I'd never want as a daily wearer but love them as "a few days at at time" watches.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:31 AM   #13
Bybybmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-2
It matters to me but it also matters the color of the hands. To me, the most readable watches I own have dark dials with light colored hands. My YM Rhodium dial and OP blue dial are my two most readable watches.
Bybybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #14
sevykor
"TRF" Member

"THE dial for a DJ41 is blue..."

Not exactly in my case...There's no question that dial color is subjective. I had a chance to buy my choice of colors in DJ41 a few years back. Having thought I wanted the blue, quickly changed my mind when I looked at it in person. IMHO, although a nice color, the radiant blue is just way overdone among most brands. Stand back and look at your local Macy’s watch counter, and you see a large array of blue dials. I'd be curious to know how it's perceived in the next few decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #15
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
why wouldn't dial color make a difference? that's one of the biggest aspect of the watch
This x 1000.
Old 26 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #16
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

Black gets my vote for best dial in a SS Sky! Enjoy that gorgeous watch.
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #17
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

Oh sure does. Dial is the second this I look at when purchasing a watch.
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote