The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2009, 08:35 PM   #31
clau2076
"TRF" Member

I'm not the only "neurotic" one here ;) general consensus is leaning towards asking the AD ordering in a new model
clau2076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:03 PM   #32
camster
"TRF" Member

I am also of the nuttier variety. So of course I had the AD order a brand new one from New York for me. Well he had no choice I did not want the Stainless/white gold/oyster bracelet /Turn O Graph/ with white face,I wanted the black face one,which to me contrasted strikingly with the red second hand and the red date. It only took 4 days to arrive.
camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 08:14 PM   #33
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris,

I think AD is more willing to give discount
on display model (well, maybe not big on SS)
than the one you order, so....
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 08:25 PM   #34
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i dont really see the big deal...well i guess it depends on the AD, in toronto the AD had 3 maybe only 3 rolex models and seriously looked like he would only sell one rolex a year (yes i am exaggerating.....but the guy didn't even have a simple sub...and he really did have only 3 models), i wouldnt buy from the guy in the first place....from the display case or even if he ordered it........

in contrast i've been to the ADs in dubai and singapore, and they got sooo many models and different types of each....and they're turn over on a regular basis is probably very high....so it woulnt make a difference to me at all....and the watches still got their stickers....what maybe a few ppl have tried it on....i seriously doubt 800....if 800 ppl walked into a store tried a rolex on and not a single one of them walked out with it....then AD is probably the love child of alien vs. predator cuz he must be doing something to really scare the $#%$^$# daylights outta his customers,,,
Old 17 March 2009, 08:32 PM   #35
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
but on another note...i have to like the serial numbers....all of them or their sequence..its weird...but if they dont sound nice or have significant numbers...or favourite ones...i'll ask for another piece......as long as it has what i consider are lucky numbers......and if they dont have the numbers that i like...i'd be off to the next AD.....
Old 17 March 2009, 09:25 PM   #36
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
I buy from the display. But, of course, I check the condition first. It has to meet my standards (which are high!). If there was a model on display that I really wanted, but didn't meet my standards, then I'd have 'em order it. But so far that's never happened.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 09:27 PM   #37
gregdolley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsal View Post
but on another note...i have to like the serial numbers....all of them or their sequence..its weird...but if they dont sound nice or have significant numbers...or favourite ones...i'll ask for another piece......as long as it has what i consider are lucky numbers......and if they dont have the numbers that i like...i'd be off to the next AD.....
Man, you're picky.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:29 PM   #38
gregdolley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Something like this?
Nice!
Old 17 March 2009, 10:24 PM   #39
Ning Dynasty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT-II
Touchy

I'd rather buy one on here for a discount on here...than deal with at Rolex AD salesperson that may or may not know what they are talking about!
Ning Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 10:29 PM   #40
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
Mine was a discontinued model being sold at a discount so of course I had to take the display watch. It didn't have a scratch on it. That didn't last long after it hit MY wrist.

Jeannie
Good point. When I've haggled for a discount over the watch I'm holding, I don't know of too many ADs who would settle for a good discount then have you expect to order in a new model of the exact one you've been haggling over. That said, I certainly understand wanting the brand spanking new one, but as JJ wrote earlier, its also good to be able to inspect the one you're buying with a loupe, because its not like there haven't been issues (dust on the dial, etc) with brank spanking new Rolexes either......

Best of luck,

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 12:19 AM   #41
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau2076 View Post
Is it better to buy the model that was on display OR insist they order one in for you?

Depends on what mood I'm in that day. If I'm feeling really anxious, then I'll take the display model and ask for more of a discount. I would most probably want a fresh new model though.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote