The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2018, 11:19 AM   #1
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Rubber B Velcro Series

Has anyone purchased the Velcro version before? Thinking about getting one but quite pricey at ~$300 for a rubber strap. Any feedback? Thanks

https://rubberb.com/en/rolex-watch-b...c-velcro-strap
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 12:29 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
RubberB and Everest both make nice straps; if you want good quality you need to pay for it. I guess you can always get a cheapo strap but it will fit and look like one. The issue with Velcro is that it frazzles with use. Buckle and tang is a better bet.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 12:31 PM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Do not get why people pay Rolex money, then look for straps or rubber bands to hold their watches...
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Roll X
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Do not get why people pay Rolex money, then look for straps or rubber bands to hold their watches...
The same reason people spend Mercedes money on a car and then put on different tires.
Roll X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 01:05 PM   #5
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll X View Post
The same reason people spend Mercedes money on a car and then put on different tires.
I don’t have an issue with rubber straps and I put all different kinds of straps on my watches but I don’t think the analogy is the same. I think his point would be “why do people buy a Mercedes and then put fuzzy seat covers in it?”.

All Mercedes have rubber tires so swapping them out isn’t much of a change. I think his comment inferred that replacing an expensive high end bracelet with a rubber one is a silly downgrade.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 02:01 PM   #6
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
RubberB and Everest both make nice straps; if you want good quality you need to pay for it. I guess you can always get a cheapo strap but it will fit and look like one. The issue with Velcro is that it frazzles with use. Buckle and tang is a better bet.
Wrong. Get a set of SS END links from smarty end links. Buy Barton silicone straps for $20 and have tons of options.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:52 AM   #7
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Do not get why others care what people decide to do with their own possessions.

OP, I’ve had the non Velcro Everest strap when they first launched, however, realized that I prefer a $10 Maratac NATO better, which can be sourced on Amazon. I have to agree with others, the Velcro will eventually wear out, regardless of cost. There are less expensive options out there, which I’d recommend because they all perform the same.
Old 30 December 2018, 06:08 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
Wrong. Get a set of SS END links from smarty end links. Buy Barton silicone straps for $20 and have tons of options.
Pricing and difficulty. My Smarty endlinks never fit with the strap I wanted. I'm glad it worked for you. I prefer a more surefire option!!! Do you see any reason to buy an OF? Do you happen to know the price of that strap? From your position one might as well just get a Nato.

Old 1 January 2019, 12:14 AM   #9
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

OP take it from an actual rubber b velcro owner. I read so much nonsense here. The quality is exceptional. It is not the same velcro material used in your kids shoes . Check this review on it. I have to be very honest, if you haven't handled it in person I can assure you that you have no clue what your talking about.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7505.jpeg (82.0 KB, 303 views)
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:26 AM   #10
Hands90
"TRF" Member

This does not seem like a good idea to me at all.
I understand the draw but man I would stay far away from it.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:29 AM   #11
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
When you absolutely must have Velcro on a $10k luxury watch, I suppose go with RubberB.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:52 AM   #12
maximilianmuller
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/TBB
Go for it OP! velcro gets a bad rap but when you look at how it's made it takes much more work because of the stitching involved and finishes. If it's good enough for a 100K+ Richard Mille, I don't think you should worry about a 10K Rolex on a velcro strap.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richardmillle.jpg (45.2 KB, 281 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-05-01 11.44.45.png (91.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg greenrolexvelcro.jpg (55.4 KB, 277 views)
maximilianmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 01:00 AM   #13
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianmuller View Post
Go for it OP! velcro gets a bad rap but when you look at how it's made it takes much more work because of the stitching involved and finishes. If it's good enough for a 100K+ Richard Mille, I don't think you should worry about a 10K Rolex on a velcro strap.....
You are so correct in this statement sir! If you buy a Rolex, it's yours and you can do with it what you wish! Nothing wrong putting it on a rubber or velcro strap! And I'm really glad you brought up the Richard Mille example - Almost makes me wonder if Richard Mille wearers would have the same objections to those wanting to put their Richard Mille on a fitted bracelet?
Carondelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #14
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
Due to what I believe was most likely the failure of a velcro strap I lost a Seiko “Arnie” along I-10 while riding a motorcycle. It had been worn in that manner for perhaps six months and with it had endured hundreds of rounds at gun ranges, gym time, home duties and many motorcycle rides. It seems I perhaps could have brushed against almost anything, including my clothing, the end of the strap thus initiating its eventual unraveling. I understand there could also have been a spring bar failure. Nonetheless, it was a very below-average experience and for me an option to never again be chosen.
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 02:44 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtAuto7 View Post
Due to what I believe was most likely the failure of a velcro strap I lost a Seiko “Arnie” along I-10 while riding a motorcycle. It had been worn in that manner for perhaps six months and with it had endured hundreds of rounds at gun ranges, gym time, home duties and many motorcycle rides. It seems I perhaps could have brushed against almost anything, including my clothing, the end of the strap thus initiating its eventual unraveling. I understand there could also have been a spring bar failure. Nonetheless, it was a very below-average experience and for me an option to never again be chosen.
Was this a RubberB strap?

Old 1 January 2019, 04:03 AM   #16
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

I could not agree more with this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianmuller View Post
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 06:27 AM   #17
ColtAuto7
"TRF" Member

Watch: A 16613 "Blue Boy"
Hogwld - No, and I haven't a recollection as to a brand name.

As an aside, on that ride I was on an '02 FLTRI.
ColtAuto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 08:07 AM   #18
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Rubber B Velcro Series

I spent a lot of time, 40+ years, in the water with Velcro clasps and straps — watches, shoes, gear/equipment. Properly designed straps will not come off. The best example are the leashes on my surf boards. I have been pummeled enough in the surf and whitewater and never had my watch or leash fail with a properly designed Velcro clasp.

A poorly designed Velcro clasp will come off in the water, on the first stroke of your arm — for your watch, or first kick of your foot — for your sandals.

I have a couple RubberBs on tang buckles, that I love, while the design of the RubberB Velcro clasp looks ok. I would not use it in water without the “optional retaining loop”. In my experience, a single Velcro clasp, without a retaining loop, has a higher probability to accidentally open/fail. A double Velcro clasp/strap is a much better design.

With that said, I’ve never had a steel bracelet fail — until last night!

NYE, a screw backed out in a bar. Thankfully, I felt it fall off my wrist. My watch bounced off some brick and landed, face down, on the tile floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote