The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 January 2019, 04:48 AM   #91
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post

And another thing, what counts as a high net worth these days? More than 10 million?
Not sure about the criteria for general public, but I think your number would probably be the minimum required to claim so in the forums
Old 2 January 2019, 05:07 AM   #92
1watch
"TRF" Member

I find the deference to being on an AD list and trying to curry preference quite interesting. I personally wouldn’t buy or offer to buy something I don’t want, just to get an item I desire. That said, I would either wait it out on several AD lists or go to another brand. The supply issue that’s trickled across the line (Daytona excluded) for common, SS, mass produced watches is ridiculous. Unless you have light your money on fire type of funds, I would not pay the crazy secondary market prices for a current production piece either. Assuming supply improves, many will have overpaid when the bubble bursts IMO.
Old 2 January 2019, 05:25 AM   #93
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusXIII View Post
So you're offering 5-6k to folks who can simply source you a new watch from an AD? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that one. Second, you're correct, you do come off as snobby (and self entitled). Some of these folks here on this forum could buy your ass 100,000 times over in a blink of an eye (and many much younger than you as well). Newsflash, neither you nor your situation are 'special'. You've realized some success to this point. Good for you. Don't think that gives you and your situation cause to be given any type of preferred treatment over those whose successes dwarf yours by comparison.
Want a solid relationship with an AD? Go in, be kind, be a gentlemen, know your stuff, and forget that bond. It takes time. Sometimes even years. But to go in and try and 'sell your story', (however amazing YOU feel it is) doesn't mean squat. More to the point, it's pretty stupid. Take the advice given, buy grey and move on. %#%%'ng millennials.

#Destroyed in the new age of writing stuff.
Old 2 January 2019, 05:58 AM   #94
racer24
Banned

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
If you don’t have a good relationship with AD, you will not get either watch as a first time buyer. Personally, I brought decent number of less desirable watches from my AD knowing the fact that I am over paying them. And I told the manager that I can get them at a lower price too. That kind of relationship and attitude got me all the highly desirable Rolex and PP. all I need is to send a text message. Don’t believe the so called waitlist. That waitlist is worthless. The real waitlist is in the manager’s head on a personal basis.
Old 2 January 2019, 07:09 AM   #95
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlarry View Post
Doesn’t have to be self entitlement, could be just a new guy asking questions as we all once were new here. With that being said I get your point as many of us do well and that alone is not a reason to be able to get what you want when we want, OP seems to speak honestly so I’ll give him benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it does us all good to not be able to get everything we want....this world owes us nothing and a sense of entitlement is for douche bags...
I guess with the op attitude no AD will warm to him/her so good luck getting to the front of that queue
Old 2 January 2019, 07:32 AM   #96
greeneyedguy
Banned

I got on a waitlist like this. I'm nice and very interested in Horology. I talk watches with my guy when ever I see him. I bought my wife a rolex from him, I bought a tag autavia for me from him. He knows my love for watches and he knows I don't sell what I buy. I even bought a cheap titanium citizen for my little brother as his first watch looks almost like the tudor pelagos. I have already been offered one precious stainless piece and it felt so good to be in the club. It wasn't the watch I had requested so I politely declined and I am happy waiting and saving until I get the call. I have the cash to buy grey if I wanted to but I like the idea of buying a watch and it going up in value and not down. So If there are anyone close to you that could use a gift it could help you out!
Old 2 January 2019, 08:17 AM   #97
FoolioABC
"TRF" Member

Waitlist advice for a Newbie!

OP I don’t think you’re coming across as entitled at all, but I’m not sure you’re ever going to get what you want using this strategy. You’re telling your ADs that you want to establish a relationship, but as a customer you’re signaling the only thing you’re interested in is the rarest, most difficult to find pieces with no interest in anything else. As in, as a customer, you’re only interested in pieces they’d have 0 problem moving, and in fact might piss off more invested customers by selling to you instead of them. As in, I. A business sense the only thing you’re offering is to sponge off their strongest bargaining chip for other customers, while offering nothing in return except promises to keep doing that. Furthermore, you live in one of the most transient cities in the US (DC), and the city happens to have plenty of rich, powerful people. (Ie, you could bounce at any moment out of the city) I’m not too sure what you expect to happen in this circumstance, why would an AD ever want to sell to you? What have you done besides pay some lip service about loyalty and interest? I don’t think what these ADs do is fair at all, btw, but knowing how they operate, why would you expect your strategy to work? What would you do in their position, considering that this is how they make money and feed their families, considering that they’re NOT as well of as you at all?

Old 2 January 2019, 08:51 AM   #98
alwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116523, 114060
Waitlist advice for a Newbie!

A little too narrow minded i think. Im pretty sure there are as many “high net worth” players in the watch game waiting for the watch they want. I dont think saying how much you earn will differentiate yourself with many of us here in TRF. But its honestly the truth, i dont think that story will be the right approach for an AD. Because everyone would just think.. “if you have so much money, why bother buying from MSRP? pay the premium and you good to go! easy process and no wait.”

Anyways, a good site would be chrono24! hahaha!
Old 2 January 2019, 08:58 AM   #99
alwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116523, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusXIII View Post
So you're offering 5-6k to folks who can simply source you a new watch from an AD? Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that one. Second, you're correct, you do come off as snobby (and self entitled). Some of these folks here on this forum could buy your ass 100,000 times over in a blink of an eye (and many much younger than you as well). Newsflash, neither you nor your situation are 'special'. You've realized some success to this point. Good for you. Don't think that gives you and your situation cause to be given any type of preferred treatment over those whose successes dwarf yours by comparison.

Want a solid relationship with an AD? Go in, be kind, be a gentlemen, know your stuff, and forget that bond. It takes time. Sometimes even years. But to go in and try and 'sell your story', (however amazing YOU feel it is) doesn't mean squat. More to the point, it's pretty stupid. Take the advice given, buy grey and move on. %#%%'ng millennials.

couldn’t agree with you more. i feel like we millennials should actually learn to be more humble and open their eyes wider and notice that they are not the only “special ones” or even close to one.

Old 2 January 2019, 09:09 AM   #100
Stringerb3ll
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_DESH View Post
It takes years of relationship building, and being humble.

Remember your AD always have someone that will spend or worth more than you.

Start with purchasing smalls items, build that trust, and relationship!!!

Good Luck!!!
That's one saucy collection there!!! congrats on that!!!!

What's the favourite?
Old 2 January 2019, 09:48 AM   #101
alexintheair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP
A billionaire who likes SS watches only VS a good customer/watcholic who buys 3-4 random watches a year. Which one you like?
Old 2 January 2019, 10:24 AM   #102
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnwfu View Post
Should I go to my AD and try to sell a story? ie... I'm only 30 with an already high net worth and I'm only getting started... before I kick the bucket I'm going to get a Lange, PP, AP, and a few Rolexes but I'm just getting started and I'd like a Sky or a Daytona.
USN, as an idea, why don't you buy a White Sky-D and then after a year or two, send it to an RSC and switch out for a blue dial? It can be done, and you will not get the White dial back. One of the advantages of the Sky D range is that you can switch out the dials through the RSC to any of the three colors currently available in the range: blue, black, white. From research, it looks like it costs around $2k. Its been discussed on TRF. Yes, that's pricy, but: (a) its still cheaper than a blue dial from a grey at $20k+ if you paid MSRP for the White; (b) it saves you having to wait 1-2 years for a blue; (c) you get to enjoy a wonderful watch from a different perspective (white dial), and then switch to blue; and (d) it starts you off building an AD relationship as you're dropping $15k. That should give you credibility with the AD, and potentially put you on a list for a Daytona (which might still be a while, but unless you're going Grey, it's going to be a while anyway).

White Dial Sky-Ds are gorgeous and not too difficult to get from AD's. If not, the Grey price for a BNIB white is virtually MSRP.

Just a thought.
Old 2 January 2019, 10:36 AM   #103
Pacc12
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
You can always go grey buddy, goodluck with your search.
Old 2 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #104
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
If you have a high net worth why is a PM a problem? 116509, 116619, 116519LN, 116719BLRO...All "metal" looking watches, but PM. A bit contradictory from what I'm reading, but perhaps we don't define "high net worth" the same way?
I just can't justify it given that the movement is the same and the difference in price doesn't justify the weight in gold... if I had a choice at 25-30k I'd look at a Lange 1 or a AP chrono.
Old 2 January 2019, 10:42 AM   #105
Neo_Anderson302
"TRF" Member

If you have money just buy it from a grey.
Old 2 January 2019, 10:43 AM   #106
usnwfu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Please don't scrape and grovel in front a watch dealer, just to build a relationship, and please don't buy a pm watch that you do not want. As much as I dislike the idea of buying from a gray dealer I feel that this is better than either of the two options above. At the end of the day it is just a watch anyway.

By the way, I wonder how many people have waited years for a Daytona and were then disappointed when they finally had it on their wrist?

And another thing, what counts as a high net worth these days? More than 10 million?
Definitely not 10 haha ... esp at 30. Hoping to get there at 50 tho... I appreciate everyone's advice so far. TRF is awesome... even the critics .
Old 2 January 2019, 10:48 AM   #107
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you want these watches now, they are all over the internet for sale. Why, because the original owners saw a quick buck and took it. So much for the watches. As a newbie do not get caught up in all this current mess. Not worth it.
Closed Thread