The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2015, 04:49 PM   #31
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Ouch maybe around 2k
Old 30 September 2015, 04:52 PM   #32
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Ouch maybe around 2k
I think 400-4K lol. I should know in a few days:)
Old 30 September 2015, 04:54 PM   #33
eightbore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

IMO the new ceramic sport watches are an improvement and a broken ceramic bezel is still pretty rare. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, comparing the quality of the aluminum bezels to the cerachrom isn't exactly apples to apples.
There are plenty of stories here on TRF (and other forums) of broken or chipped bezels that are often associated with pricey repairs/replacements. I agree that the ceramic might look better, but it is absolutely "apples to oranges" in terms of "durability" as expressed in cost/benefit terms. In the abstract, I agree that ceramic is surely more difficult to scratch, chip, or crack than the old aluminum inserts. BUT, the old aluminum inserts cost what....$30? Given that, I am now really curious to see what this bezel insert costs to replace given what a show Rolex has made of how difficult/expensive the color combination was to produce. For now, let's be kind to Rolex and say they charge $600 for a new bezel insert (bet it's more). Are you really trying to tell me that the aluminum inserts are/were 20x more likely to need replacement? If they were not, then it seems to me that ceramic is a really poor value proposition....particularly on a watch renowned for its "durability".

Old 30 September 2015, 05:33 PM   #34
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
There are many Rolex models without ceramic inserts to choose from, nobody is holding a gun to our heads :)
Old 30 September 2015, 05:35 PM   #35
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
Ouch!
Old 30 September 2015, 05:42 PM   #36
B.B.B.
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner lv m
Yup looks painful
Old 30 September 2015, 05:48 PM   #37
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbore View Post
There are plenty of stories here on TRF (and other forums) of broken or chipped bezels that are often associated with pricey repairs/replacements. I agree that the ceramic might look better, but it is absolutely "apples to oranges" in terms of "durability" as expressed in cost/benefit terms. In the abstract, I agree that ceramic is surely more difficult to scratch, chip, or crack than the old aluminum inserts. BUT, the old aluminum inserts cost what....$30? Given that, I am now really curious to see what this bezel insert costs to replace given what a show Rolex has made of how difficult/expensive the color combination was to produce. For now, let's be kind to Rolex and say they charge $600 for a new bezel insert (bet it's more). Are you really trying to tell me that the aluminum inserts are/were 20x more likely to need replacement? If they were not, then it seems to me that ceramic is a really poor value proposition....particularly on a watch renowned for its "durability".

The ceramic insert has been a component on a Rolex watch now for around 7-8 years (maybe longer) so given the volume sold I not worried!

There has been a few on here granted but then how many ceramic insert equipped watches are owned on forum!
Old 30 September 2015, 06:11 PM   #38
eightbore
Banned

Again, I am not saying that they aren't "stronger" than aluminum and I might even accept that they look "better". That said, I am not AT ALL sure that the juice is worth the squeeze. Frankly, it even starts to look a lot like a very planned Rolex revenue generation scheme when they cost more than 20x as much to replace and necessitate replacement with more than 1/20th of regularity of an aluminum insert. To be honest, this ceramic issue is part of what kept me from throwing down on a Pelagos for the last year or two.
Old 30 September 2015, 06:34 PM   #39
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Well Steve, I guess that makes you a member of the "Cracked Rolex Ceramic Bezel Insert" club now.
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Old 30 September 2015, 06:46 PM   #40
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't know why but it hurts seeing the crack. Sorry for this mishap buddy.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:11 PM   #41
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sorry to see, Steve but I admire your approach and outlook.
Hopefully a quick turnaround. I wouldn't want to be away from that beauty for too long.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:13 PM   #42
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Well Steve, I guess that makes you a member of the "Cracked Rolex Ceramic Bezel Insert" club now.
Thanks Willem, very privileged to be a new member of the elusive club once you get past the initial initiation fee, it's all smooth sailing
Old 30 September 2015, 07:19 PM   #43
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Sorry to see, Steve but I admire your approach and outlook.
Hopefully a quick turnaround. I wouldn't want to be away from that beauty for too long.
Thanks Travis can't be upset about the past, no amount of whining will move the clocks back

I guess I just really enjoyed the BLRO by taking it everywhere and to be direct, that is what the passion is all about

I am away again on business, the watch is in Singapore and being handled by some of my closest friends, home life is perfect, second baby on the way, can't complain about anything!!!
Old 30 September 2015, 07:23 PM   #44
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADINVA View Post
I don't know why but it hurts seeing the crack. Sorry for this mishap buddy.
really appreciate that!! At first I was shocked, now I am just smiling (kinda funny). Either way, it over and we will all no the cost soon
Old 30 September 2015, 07:23 PM   #45
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'm very sorry to see this, Steve. I do , however, applaud your attitude and candor in this situation. Unfortunately, there are many who would be searching for any angle to get out of footing the bill for this repair. The fact that you stand up to it, make no excuses, and don't whine about it creates good karma for you and that will come around full-circle eventually.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:23 PM   #46
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Steve,

Gives you a good reason to slip the Leopard on.......

We all have our dings and scrapes, it still is lighter damage than the watch that ended up in the washing machine. And it recovered as well.
Old 30 September 2015, 07:30 PM   #47
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus Maneo View Post
I'm very sorry to see this, Steve. I do , however, applaud your attitude and candor in this situation. Unfortunately, there are many who would be searching for any angle to get out of footing the bill for this repair. The fact that you stand up to it, make no excuses, and don't whine about it creates good karma for you and that will come around full-circle eventually.
Thanks Ken!! That is really kind of you!! I really believe in Karma and I am more than happy to pay the bill I just got. It was 1k. Not too bad at all for all things considered.

So I am very happy, my dealer is very happy and the BLRO will be back to normal before I know it

All round fantastic day. Sorted in 4 hours! Must be a record
Old 30 September 2015, 07:35 PM   #48
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Steve,

Gives you a good reason to slip the Leopard on.......

We all have our dings and scrapes, it still is lighter damage than the watch that ended up in the washing machine. And it recovered as well.
I love how you think Craig!!! Sadly my beloved SACO was traded as I am getting a new one I hope this year:)

I have the SDc strapped on for the next two weeks:) not so bad at all!!! Very happy with that watch too!!!

Yes the washing machine DD horror. That was a really sad story!!! No matter what, we all love our watches:) would not change a thing:)
Old 30 September 2015, 07:36 PM   #49
Chrispare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Worry for you..and quite impressed by your réaction
You seem to be a very cool person
Old 30 September 2015, 07:39 PM   #50
Muzz
"TRF" Member

1k repair guys I will take that any day of the week!!!!! Just arm wrestling my dealer as he wants to pay half. Ain't going to happen

Thank you for all of the support!!! It's all over
Old 30 September 2015, 07:42 PM   #51
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispare View Post
Worry for you..and quite impressed by your réaction
You seem to be a very cool person
very kind of you!!! I blame my children for my relaxed state as it really mellowed me and allowed me to focus on the important stuff, bottles and diapers
Old 30 September 2015, 07:57 PM   #52
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Not sure how much a BLRO insert costs but I will probably know in a day or two. Was hopeful I wouldn't be the first one here I think I am going to stick to diamond bezels or non rotating bezel references now.

I have absolutely no idea how it happened? No scratch on the watch anywhere. But I must have hit it somewhere.
Yes its going to be quite expensive around $450 just for the insert plus labour Pray to the Rolex gods perhaps Rolex will do it free including insert, afraid this is one of the many downsides of ceramic inserts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 30 September 2015, 08:00 PM   #53
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes its going to be quite expensive around $450 for the insert plus labour if they do charge you.Pray to the Rolex gods perhaps Rolex will do it free including insert, afraid this is one of the many downsides of ceramic inserts.
Hi Peter!! It all worked out, total repair was 1k (I do not have the breakdown) but I am very happy with that the Rolex Gods took absolutely wonderful care of me:)
Old 30 September 2015, 08:04 PM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Hi Peter!! It all worked out, total repair was 1k (I do not have the breakdown) but I am very happy with that the Rolex Gods took absolutely wonderful care of me:)
Was that with a bezel or just the insert if it was with the bezel too the Rolex gods did smile down on you, glad its fixed but myself never have been a fan of ceramic.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 30 September 2015, 08:12 PM   #55
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Was that with a bezel or just the insert if it was with the bezel too the Rolex gods did smile down on you, glad its fixed but myself never have been a fan of ceramic.
It was just for the insert. I really did wear this watch everywhere, care free similar to Tom. I know my pieces look unworn but I even sleep with them on, not sure where I had the impact, perhaps on a seatbelt buckle on the plane?

I really like non ceramic versatility but I must admit I have had no negitive experiences with ceramic either.

Just happy that I was the first at something here (in relation to the BLRO bezel).
Old 30 September 2015, 08:23 PM   #56
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It was just for the insert. I really did wear this watch everywhere, care free similar to Tom. I know my pieces look unworn but I even sleep with them on, not sure where I had the impact, perhaps on a seatbelt buckle on the plane?

I really like non ceramic versatility but I must admit I have had no negitive experiences with ceramic either.

Just happy that I was the first at something here (in relation to the BLRO bezel).
That was still expensive most ceramic inserts are around $450 wonder if it was more expensive for the pepsi version.Now brands like Kyocera who make ceramic knives don't seem to have a problem making duel coloured handles in there ceramic products.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 30 September 2015, 08:27 PM   #57
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I hope it is covered under warranty! Please keep us posted.
Old 30 September 2015, 08:27 PM   #58
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Not sure Peter? I suppose there is a potential markup based on the case material? (Could be the WG tax) a fair comparison maybe the replacement cost of the BLNR insert.

Unfortunately I do not know of anyone that had to replace one thank heavens:)
Old 30 September 2015, 08:29 PM   #59
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I hope it is covered under warranty! Please keep us posted.
No warranty, it was definitely Operator error I never approached it as I already embraced the responsibility
Old 30 September 2015, 08:31 PM   #60
Naz737
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610T
Sorry to see that, Steve.

Materials certainly are funny. I had some training at one point where we were using crushed ceramic from spark plugs and using the shards to break vehicle Windows. (Military stuff!)

Point is sometimes it's something small at just the right resonance to break something.

Hope it gets fixed soon, bud!