The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 April 2018, 03:55 AM   #1
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Urgent help needed if Inserts on 16710 "Coke" has been changed

Hi guys, i recently purchased two NOS 16710 gmt "pepsi" and "coke" from a Dealer.

After posting the "pepsi" on facebook, a number of friends have indicated that the original watch came with a Black bezel and was switched out to Pepsi so as to command a higher selling price which i paid.

I Confronted the seller and he admitted that the Bezel was switched out with a Authentic "pepsi" bezel which was sourced from Hongkong.

However, he said that the other 16710 "Coke" is 100% original and everything is NOS, bezel has not been changed out.

I need your kind help in authenticating that this "Coke" bezel is indeed original.

As i am new to this watch hobby, i am not skilled enough to compare what i have with that on the internet.

Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2036.jpg (199.8 KB, 434 views)
watchyouseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
We need to see the papers for the watch to determine if the insert colour is original as sold. There is no way to tell without it.
Old 8 April 2018, 10:08 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Watchyouseek, maybe you might want to read this thread regarding 16710 GMT II bezel inserts, warranty paper coding for bezel insert colors and opinions regarding switching bezel inserts from one color to another color.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=596626

Regarding the "Coke" insert in your photo, it is a genuine, serif font insert.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 12:25 PM   #4
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Urgent help needed

Thank you.

It is a P-series , circa 2002.

The papers do not have any alphabets apart from the model number. I am currently out and not with the watch and will upload it soon.

Also, say the bezel was changed from the original which was all black, does this affect the NOS value of the watch?

I initially bought these pieces as an investment but after finding out what was actually done to the Pepsi, I am not skeptical .

Will appreciate more input from you guys. Thank you!
Old 8 April 2018, 12:35 PM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

That insert looks correct for the circa 2002 GMT II. Even if it isn't original to the watch itself, it's at least period-correct.

As mentioned above, we'd need to know the warranty paper code to say for sure what color insert it shipped with from the factory.

Regarding affecting its NOS status, it's still in NOS condition either way. But, hopefully you intend to wear it rather than stash it in a safe.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 01:11 PM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
Thank you.

It is a P-series , circa 2002.

The papers do not have any alphabets apart from the model number. I am currently out and not with the watch and will upload it soon.

Also, say the bezel was changed from the original which was all black, does this affect the NOS value of the watch?

I initially bought these pieces as an investment but after finding out what was actually done to the Pepsi, I am not skeptical .

Will appreciate more input from you guys. Thank you!
If you have a warranty paper that is not from the USA, it could be the older punched-style, green warranty paper that did not have the style number on the paper. Also during the P serial numbers, you'll start seeing the multicolored warranty paper that replaced the green warranty paper. This one should have a style number on it. It would read 16710A30B7879 if it came with a "Coke" insert or 16710N30B7879 if it came with a black insert. If you have the green hang tag it would have the model number at the bottom of the sticker affixed to the tag. It would read 16610A for a "Coke" insert and 16710N for a black insert. The hang tags are not full-proof since I have seen green hang tags in the P serial range that just read 16710 and are missing the letter that designates the bezel color.

Personally, as noted in the other thread regarding inserts, I wouldn't worry too much about the color coded on the warranty paper or hang tag. The inserts could have easily been changed before or after the time of sale. Lastly, I really haven't noticed any significant difference in pricing of complete sets based on the bezel color - just a difference in preference by the buyer/collector. The bezel color coding on warranty papers was never an issue years ago and is a recent phenomenon to boost a sale in my opinion.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 02:37 PM   #7
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the useful information.

I have also attached a picture of the NOS Pepsi which I picked up from the same seller.

This particular Pepsi has its bezel changed out from the original Black bezel.

I only found out that it was switched out after a number of locals called out that the same watch was listed a day before with a complete black bezel.

I confronted the seller and he admitted it was changed out, however this was not disclosed to me upon purchase and neither was I given the original black bezel.

The seller said that in Singapore , RSC does not change bezels anymore and does not allow the change of colour inserts. Hence he said that this Pepsi insert was obtained from his suppliers in Hong Kong.

Could you guys also advise if this insert is authentic ?

I am wondering if I should return the watch for a full refund.

Please advise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 377D3F9E-8518-45E9-9935-157AB0CAA1AF.jpeg (117.9 KB, 345 views)
Old 8 April 2018, 02:38 PM   #8
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

The Pepsi above is a A-series, circa 1999.

Both sets are Asian sets and non-USA
Old 8 April 2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Richardreyan
"TRF" Member

Coke insert looks genuine. Pepsi insert aswell.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Richardreyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 08:41 PM   #10
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Thank you!

However is the insert for the Pepsi period correct ? It is a A-series Pepsi
Old 10 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #11
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I have a similar question regarding the serif vs non-serif pepsi inserts. I have a N serial 16700 with a non-serif insert and was wondering if it was original or a replacement?

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote