The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2018, 03:52 AM   #31
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
Watchfinder is for novices, it's good to have a B/M store. They are good at what they do. They are an accurate representation of the market if a little higher due to the rents, etc.
OP are you so in love with the SS? at the WF price you can get a Daytona in full PM. I think the pm version is so much more watch for the money.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:54 AM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
Watchfinder is for novices, it's good to have a B/M store. They are good at what they do. They are an accurate representation of the market if a little higher due to the rents, etc.
OP are you so in love with the SS? at the WF price you can get a Daytona in full PM. I think the pm version is so much more watch for the money.
WF is the standard example. Yeah, even in London there are plenty of dealers with B&M stores with better prices. However they are not as well known so they don't work as well as a general example.
If it was me, its OF Daytona all the way. I prefer those anyway to the SS versions. And the price difference at retail vs secondary prices for a SS daytona is hard to ignore.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 03:59 AM   #33
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by montty View Post
Dear friends,

I have a serious question and know that this is the best place to find an answer (if the answer exists at all).

I want to buy a new white face 116500

- ok to pay full retail (in cash, even in advance)
- ok to wait 1-2 years
- based in the UK but happy to travel for it anywhere in the world.

I have bough few rolexes over past few years but have never got into any relationship with any AD

Would appreciate your advice.
you are missing at least one option...
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:26 AM   #34
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
I would always go secondhand white gold 116509 over 116500 given that the realistic current purchase price of both watches is similar.
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:27 AM   #35
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Enjoy a weekend in Portland, Oregon- zero sales tax, have DaveSW or other TS next day it to your Airbnb, put it on your wrist, FedEx box’s back to uk. $21000 (£15500 ish) for the watch + vacation costs...
As others have said, you can get an older full gold Daytona on a bracelet for not much more.
in London try Trotters on Bethnal Green Rd. They have way better prices than WF, though the stock is more limited...I tried on a very nice gold skydweller on strap for £20500 the other day
Old 30 December 2018, 04:32 AM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Enjoy a weekend in Portland, Oregon- zero sales tax, have DaveSW or other TS next day it to your Airbnb, put it on your wrist, FedEx box’s back to uk. $21000 (£15500 ish) for the watch + vacation costs...
As others have said, you can get an older full gold Daytona on a bracelet for not much more.
in London try Trotters on Bethnal Green Rd. They have way better prices than WF, though the stock is more limited...I tried on a very nice gold skydweller on strap for £20500 the other day
although people clearly do that, i wouldn't recommend they do it. That is illegal
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 30 December 2018, 04:35 AM   #37
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
I think the white gold on oyster flex is a nicer watch and not that much more than you will end up paying for steel one
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:37 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyx View Post
I think the white gold on oyster flex is a nicer watch and not that much more than you will end up paying for steel one
yep. that's the one i would get
Old 30 December 2018, 05:30 AM   #39
1watch
"TRF" Member

It depends on how badly you want it now. I personally think it’s offensive to buy a LNIB watch through the secondary channel at a higher price than you should pay from an AD. Additionally, it’s likely to have open papers, which later depresses the value slightly from a collector’s point of view vs AD stamped papers. If I’m getting less of a complete package, then I would expect to pay less $ as well, not more $. I recently acquired a 16520 at a great price, so maybe look at other reference options if you would enjoy them equally as well. The value may be better if you ever decide to resell or trade down the road.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:32 AM   #40
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
It depends on how badly you want it now. I personally think it’s offensive to buy a LNIB watch through the secondary channel at a higher price than you should pay from an AD. Additionally, it’s likely to have open papers, which later depresses the value slightly from a collector’s point of view vs AD stamped papers. If I’m getting less of a complete package, then I would expect to pay less $ as well, not more $. I recently acquired a 16520 at a great price, so maybe look at other reference options if you would enjoy them equally as well. The value may be better if you ever decide to resell or trade down the road.
I would think all Rolex watches have an AD stamp, whether from an AD or from a grey market seller.
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:38 AM   #41
zjd168
"TRF" Member

You can try to leave your name on any AD who is willing to add names to some list. Like lottery someone someday may win one. There are a few recent threads claiming getting ss daytona/BLRO by receiving unexpected call or stopping by AD with little previous relationship
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:38 AM   #42
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I would think all Rolex watches have an AD stamp, whether from an AD or from a grey market seller.
I think it really depends...if it was purchased at retail from an AD and flipped, likely yes. If sold by an AD direct to secondary market, maybe not. At least that’s what happens with many other top tier brands, so as not to jeopardize your AD status with the brand.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:48 AM   #43
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
The best advise so far. Thank you, Sir.

I do not limit myself to EU/US and can travel pretty much everywhere - Moldova, Popua, Somalia... anywhere. I am also ok to leave a significant deposit with a reputable AD in exchange for a promise they can source me what I want in 1-2year.

I fly regularly and always check ADs at airports, they say they dont even receive Daytonas
montty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #44
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

you pretty much have only 2 options

1 - go to a bunch of ADs and try to bundle some full gold piece with a daytona, and even this could be kind of unlikely
2 - go grey

no point in wasting your time traveling to different countries because no AD will have a SS daytona without playing bundle games
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:54 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
WF are at the top end but I'm sure you can find one on ebay for £15-16K if you negotiate for a cash on collection, and you know enough to know what a fake is like or meet at an AD. Buying from an AD is a lottery now even after a 2 year wait you still only have a slim chance of ever getting one as a newbie, ADs want to use the popular models to make the maximum gains while the going is good, and selling to a tourist is dead bottom of their already very long list.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:57 AM   #46
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

I do not limit myself to EU/US and can travel pretty much everywhere - Moldova, Popua, Somalia... anywhere. I am also ok to leave a significant deposit with a reputable AD in exchange for a promise they can source me what I want in 1-2year.

I fly regularly and always check ADs at airports, they say they dont even receive Daytonas
How is it? You might get caught bringing it in!

The best advice is to listen to the advice - you won’t get one anywhere unless you pay grey prices or you look at U.K. forums and wait until someone sells. You may get one for 14k or so.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #47
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
How is it? You might get caught bringing it in!

The best advice is to listen to the advice - you won’t get one anywhere unless you pay grey prices or you look at U.K. forums and wait until someone sells. You may get one for 14k or so.
my thoughts exactly. The illegal option is the best option? weird.
Old 30 December 2018, 06:06 AM   #48
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's just WAY too much effort for a watch....

At the end of the day time is money for me.... just pay grey if you want it today.

i'm happy to wait for mine because my AD always comes through at MSRP usually within the year. 8 months for Daytona SS white and another 4 months for Daytona SS black.

just got the BLRO after 9 months
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:07 AM   #49
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my thoughts exactly. The illegal option is the best option? weird.
Dear Tyler, I do not agree with you as I do not see anything illegal in that option. Every major airport in the world has a range of duty free shops that sell high end goods to people taking them abroad immediately. There are many other contre-arguments to your acquisition, but that is not the subject of this discussion.
Old 30 December 2018, 06:10 AM   #50
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
nice choice!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:14 AM   #51
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Dear Tyler, I do not agree with you as I do not see anything illegal in that option. Every major airport in the world has a range of duty free shops that sell high end goods to people taking them abroad immediately. There are many other contre-arguments to your acquisition, but that is not the subject of this discussion.
Well it is illegal, you’re trying to avoid paying U.K. duty on your watch. Duty free shops at airports is totally irrelevant.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #52
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Plane ticket + Hotel + Food + weak GBP +import fees makes it more expensive than buying from watchfinder today, and having it on your wrist today vs hypothetically getting it at retail in some other country two years from now
Only import fees would possibly make it more expensive than buying on grey and there are ways around that if u wish

Dont forget rrp is 10k grey is above 20k.
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you legally have to declare it. Duty free means tax free from where you bought it, not tax free where you import it to. Buy a watch at a US airport duty free means no US taxes, you absolutely get UK taxes assessed when you enter the country with it.

mailing the box in advance is an admission you know its illegal

People do what they want, i just think openly admitting to it or openly suggesting someone does it is not a smart thing to do
Old 30 December 2018, 06:17 AM   #54
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's apple and orange. You are perfectly fine to buy tax free items and leave, however you are obligated by law (for most countries) to declare the value purchased abroad when entering your country's custom and pay due duty.

The best advice you thought is in theory an advocate for you to commit a felony, although I agree few got caught.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:31 AM   #55
Zen77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
To the OP ...

Over the past 8 months, I've been to a number of dealers across Europe, the U.S., and Canada looking for a black Daytona and, more recently, a BLRO. If you don't want to pay the grey market price, then I'd recommend finding a different watch. Or more likely, a different brand entirely.

Of the 30 or so ADs that I've visited, probably half were friendly and professional. 25% were terse and only borderline professional - i.e. made it pretty clear they just wanted me to go away as quickly as possible. The other 25% were openly unprofessional - e.g. the sales agent hears me ask another rep if they have a stainless steel Daytona and starts loudly and audibly cackling. The one thing they all had in common is that they weren't going to or able to sell me the watch that I wanted.

I compare this to working on a deal with a well known TS on this site. He is very responsive and professional. He has watches - the ones I want. He collects watches and really knows the business. He provides a fair deal in the context of the grey market - i.e. the market value for these pieces. I don't have to stand outside his shop while a security guard sizes me up and decides to let me in.

Anyway, long way of saying that I don't think you'll find the Daytona as a walk in. But as importantly, you may find the whole experience of asking ADs to be frustrating and general waste of your time.
agree and very Clear.
Zen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:37 AM   #56
Zen77
"TRF" Member

im in the same position with u OP.
just pull the trigger ,u will not regret it.
i dont think the grey price will drop soon for daytona.
i already pull the triger last month with premium price.
good luck
Zen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:42 AM   #57
760Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv fat four
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
They are coming down a little, I see a 2018 one sold for £15,500 this month on an internet auction site.
My local AD has one, but it is black
Hi Dave, is your local ad's Daytona available to purchase?
760Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:47 AM   #58
montty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
It's apple and orange. You are perfectly fine to buy tax free items and leave, however you are obligated by law (for most countries) to claim the value purchased abroad when entering your country's custom and pay due duty.

The best advice you thought is in theory an advocate for you to commit a felony, although I agree few got caught.
There are 2 aspects to this particular option -

- the first aspect is purely theoretical, anything that worth more than c. £400 from outside EU should be declared at customs. Once, I went through the red corridor in LHR to declare an expensive camera I bought in ME and officer just waved his hand saying not to bother...

- the second aspect is practical. Millions of watches and other expensive items being bought outside EU and brought to the UK without any declarations and extra taxes. My experience might be limited, but I have never heard of anyone being forced to pay extra tax at the airport.

Now, I dont want to sidetrack the discussion and would suggest to leave this particular topic aside... Under any scenario taxes that one will pay for daytona will be less that £10k and these £££ will go HMRC not to hucksters that are essentially the reason for this weird situation.
Old 30 December 2018, 06:47 AM   #59
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:52 AM   #60
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Does it have to be white or would you take black?
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote