The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2019, 09:20 AM   #1
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Patina on Black Dial 16520 Daytonas

Excluding the obvious brown patina on Patrizzi dials ... do the sub-dial rings on some black 16520s take on a more subtle, milder patina?

I ask because I've been looking at many black 16520s, and there seems to be a slight variation in the color of the sub-dial rings. Some look quite white, while others look beige/tan, although I realize lighting in photos can play a role. There are numerous threads online about the 16520, of course, but this issue isn't really explored, except when it comes to Patrizzi dials, which is different.

Here's a nice example I tried on today (U-serial) that seemed to have a little patina on the sub-dial rings, but I'm not sure. I wonder if some black 16520s that now show a hint of patina on the rings might continue to take on more color as the dial ages.

Looking for thoughts from owners (past or present). Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16520-TRF.jpg (285.3 KB, 575 views)
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 09:43 AM   #2
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
This example certainly looks more cream than other 16520s I’ve seen. At least in the exposure in the pic
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 11:34 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I have two W serials and one is full blow Patrizzi(brown sugar) and one is more beige or skin tone similar to that one...I have seen plenty of A and U serials with light tan color that some claim Patrizzi but there not. They also have their own charm, as far turning more yellow/tan/light brown I would assume they would
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 02:39 PM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
I have two W serials and one is full blow Patrizzi(brown sugar) and one is more beige or skin tone similar to that one...I have seen plenty of A and U serials with light tan color that some claim Patrizzi but there not. They also have their own charm, as far turning more yellow/tan/light brown I would assume they would
Thanks, that's kind of what I suspected. I'm starting to appreciate them more, especially with the patina. Whether or not it'll continue ... who knows. I assume sun exposure, or lack of it, could play a role, like a lot of aging on old dials.

Here's another shot of the 16520 I'm considering. The case/bezel are a little beat up, but I'm virtually certain neither has ever been polished. It's got a real original, almost raw, feel to it, which I like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16520-Day2-TRF.jpg (289.1 KB, 440 views)
Old 14 November 2019, 04:44 PM   #5
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
I love that example! It’s been well worn and broken in, that’s all and I like the modest subdial patina too I say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
That second pic looks amazing, and if it has B&P even better.
Old 14 November 2019, 10:10 PM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

A few of mine are unpolished examples and I have a couple NOS beZels for backup just in case. I would agree that looks unpolished also. One of the best models out there that’s for sure. I have also seen the luminova dials take on a slight tan/beige color also. I prefer the early models with all brushed bracelet, they are very classy and classic
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 12:04 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
A few of mine are unpolished examples and I have a couple NOS beZels for backup just in case. I would agree that looks unpolished also. One of the best models out there that’s for sure. I have also seen the luminova dials take on a slight tan/beige color also. I prefer the early models with all brushed bracelet, they are very classy and classic
Yes, I like it. Just gotta get it for the right price. No b&p, but that can allow for more wiggle room in negotiations.
Old 16 November 2019, 01:33 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Just a quick follow up on this issue of patina on the black 16520s ....

I saw the watch again, and although it definitely has warmth to the sub-dials, they also retain a white look in certain light. (Again, this is not a Patrizzi dial, as far as I can tell, although who knows what will happen with the patina in the years ahead.)

I think a lot of 16520 owners might think they have Patrizzi dials because there is a tan/beige look in certain light on the sub-dials, and I do believe there is a light patina that can develop on all of these dials. (I've looked at dozens.) But that's very different than the actual brownish patina that develops on the Patrizzi dials.

Here's another shot, and you can tell by the way the light is hitting the dial that the sub-dial on the left looks patina'd but not the one on the right. And yes, this is what an unpolished bezel and case looks like after about 25 years of use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAYTONA2-TRF.jpg (276.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 18 January 2020, 03:30 PM   #10
hkbufga
"TRF" Member

Hi swish77,

My 16520 U serial in 1997 has found some bubbling on the dial with evenly distribution. I'd like to share my 16520 photo (first and second photo) and some photo patrizzi from HQ Milton (third and fourth photo). Have you found similar case to your 16520? Many thanks!

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-N9700 發送
hkbufga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

yes, turned cream for sure. As the original owner, I really appreciate that aspect of the watch because I feel like it has gained a patina just as I have over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:22 AM   #12
hkbufga
"TRF" Member

Any bubbling is occured on the dial?
hkbufga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:30 AM   #13
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I’ve found - talking to another cpl folks who have patina on the 16520 dials - the variance seems to be due a lot to how the watch has been stored overtime. So, provenance would be key if not the original owner — but one friend has had his since new and it is a lot lighter in terms of the oxidation, as his has been stored in lower relative humidity for most of its ‘life’.

I’ve seen some ‘safe queens’ with more of a chocolate appearance, like above. Lots of variability.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote