The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2019, 04:17 PM   #1
Freespeach
"TRF" Member

Hulk: How many are there?

Was in the AD having a chat with the owner.
Conversation came around to my hulk.
He said that the Hulk may be one of the lower produced watches of the Rolex professional series.
According to him, the first several years he could not give them away. Just kept adding them to his safe. He now gets maybe 1 to 2 a year. But he still has old stock that he is slowly going through. Yes, he confirmed you could buy a new Hulk in 2019 with a 2019 warranty card for a watch he recieved in 2015. Daytonas and GMTs he gets north of 20 to 30 a year.

The Hulk and the Daytona is what he call his loss leaders. The only way he will sell them is as a bundle or if he has a high potential new client. He uses them to make money in other ways but they since he can not sell above MSRP and will not sell to greys. When I asked about greys...I think I offended him.

Anyway to the point he estimates that for every 100 subs he has sold only 1 is green.

I know this is just him talking but I am not sure that I have ever seen a hulk in the wild.

Thoughts? How many of you have seen a hulk in the wild? If so, how many times ? Do you think that the ratio of black to green could really be 100 to 1?
Freespeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
When I bought my Hulk in 2011...they couldn’t give them away! I have seen in the wild on several occasions now. I would guess it to be 8 to 10 separate occasions at least! And others have seen it in the wild on me, as lately when I wear it...it seems to garner attention. Which, in some cases is welcomed...and in other cases...not so much, depending on the circumstances!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:10 PM   #3
CanPam
"TRF" Member

There are a lot. Some years ago you could buy it with discount without any problem...

Only in my wis whatsapp group are about 10-15 Hulks...

I think the only "rare" modern sports Rolex is the SD4K 116600...
Old 5 December 2019, 05:28 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
There is plenty of them.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanPam View Post
There are a lot. Some years ago you could buy it with discount without any problem...

Only in my wis whatsapp group are about 10-15 Hulks...

I think the only "rare" modern sports Rolex is the SD4K 116600...
Agreed, and what’s funny about this, is my SDC4K has been my daily wearer for the last several years, and I have never seen another in the wild!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:46 PM   #6
stash21
"TRF" Member

loss leader for him? what a joke - he hasn't lost money on that deal selling at MSRP. What he saying is he's lost the opportunity to sell at a significant premium to MSRP.

I can't wait for a severe correction and these shops getting a reality check.
stash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:47 PM   #7
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Hulks are not rare, they used to be sold at discount, and ladies buy them too. I have 3 friends that have a Hulk, two of them gave it to their sons, and one friend has two, one unworn. Now it's very difficult to get from AD, but on the secondary marked their prices are lower, and many are offered for sale. I think prices may go up or down. If it gets a new movement then down, If it gets discontinued then up. With the demand now for them I can't see any reason for Rolex to discontinue the Hulk. Most probably it will just get new movement.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:52 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

1000s and 1000s of them. When I bought mine it was the most hated sub around. Ugly ducking, hideous, yuck - those were the words used to describe the watch. Got mine for $7k out the door.

Now the last 3 years with the explosion of the hypebeasts and instagram all of a sudden its the nicest watch ever. LOL

Crazy. I personally saw more than 30 of them at a single gray dealers safe about 3 months ago in SE Asia. There are tonnes of them around.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:08 PM   #9
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
hulk made in 2015 can be sold with a 2019 dated warranty card in an AD? thats hard to believe.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:38 PM   #10
Ryann24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
Was in the AD having a chat with the owner.
Conversation came around to my hulk.
He said that the Hulk may be one of the lower produced watches of the Rolex professional series.
According to him, the first several years he could not give them away. Just kept adding them to his safe. He now gets maybe 1 to 2 a year. But he still has old stock that he is slowly going through. Yes, he confirmed you could buy a new Hulk in 2019 with a 2019 warranty card for a watch he recieved in 2015. Daytonas and GMTs he gets north of 20 to 30 a year.

The Hulk and the Daytona is what he call his loss leaders. The only way he will sell them is as a bundle or if he has a high potential new client. He uses them to make money in other ways but they since he can not sell above MSRP and will not sell to greys. When I asked about greys...I think I offended him.

Anyway to the point he estimates that for every 100 subs he has sold only 1 is green.

I know this is just him talking but I am not sure that I have ever seen a hulk in the wild.

Thoughts? How many of you have seen a hulk in the wild? If so, how many times ? Do you think that the ratio of black to green could really be 100 to 1?
Where is this AD? Id love to get my hands on a Hulk if he has them still. Would by in combo with another piece
Ryann24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:45 PM   #11
glamorama
"TRF" Member

A lot of BS.. there are plenty of Hulks around. 'Loss leader' is a ridiculous term, is he making a loss? No, just being greedy.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:46 PM   #12
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
hulk made in 2015 can be sold with a 2019 dated warranty card in an AD? thats hard to believe.
This I believe, the warranty card is signed and dated the day you buy watch from AD.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:47 PM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Honestly, just a simple thought experiment will tell you that the 100:1 ratio statement is an absolute ass-pull.

Rolex make circa 800 000 watches a year. Imagine 10% of those are steel Subs (I’ve chosen a figure that is probably a vast overestimate to make a point). Out of 80 000 Subs produced annually, only 800 would be LVc’s if the AD’s statement weren’t a load of old cobblers. That is obviously ludicrous. There are probably more Hulks on this forum alone and there’s over 500 listed on C24.
Old 5 December 2019, 07:58 PM   #14
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hulk made in 2015 can be sold with a 2019 dated warranty card in an AD?
You can recognize it by the dial. If it has a MKI or MKII dial is that it is not 2019 even 2018 but older.
The fastest way is the space between the 300 and m. If it is pasted then it is a recent MK3, if there is a space no.

And in this case, I would refuse to buy a 2015 Watch dated 2019 and inform the seller...

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is not a rare piece, like that of an independent of course. And there is no official figure or communication from Rolex.

But what we can say is that the LV is made to the quota, and that there are less than black. It's a certainty, but how much? What ratio ? Nobody knows anything.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 08:27 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Know-one I will repeat know-one new when any Rolex was made as Rolex has never given this information publicly;All internet charts are based on information when certain serials were first seen at ADs world wide.And by these internet charts you could a approx date when the case/clasp for stamped between X&Y years and not a 100% date of manufacture. But many serials overlap a year or two,Rolex started the single letter 6 number serials in 1987.But after making countless millions of watches over those years, latter part of 2010 they switched to 8 digits random serials, simply because they ran out of single letter 6 number combinations.And all this MKI or MKII dial stuff only exists in internet land at one dials were made in 3 different factories not owned by Rolex.But now factories are in the Rolex owned group, and in these 3 dials producing factories there could be slight variations in the dials when produced in there many hundreds or many thousands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 10:01 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
When I asked about greys...I think I offended him.
A little too close to the mark?

How is your green submariner anyway?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:07 AM   #18
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
Agreed, and what’s funny about this, is my SDC4K has been my daily wearer for the last several years, and I have never seen another in the wild!
Same here, I've only seen 16600 Sea Dwellers and Deep Sea's. I've seen plenty of Green Subs.
Old 6 December 2019, 12:17 AM   #19
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I’ve seen more LVc than 6 digit LNs in the Wild myself strangely enough.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:25 AM   #20
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Saying here is a lot of hulks around means nothing. Of course there are thousands of them out in in wild. The question is what is the ratio of green to black. I personally have only seen 1 in the wild. I have seen countless black subs. Rare is a relative term that is used way too much on this forum.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:42 AM   #21
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

There are so many things wrong with what this AD said.

1. He’s still selling old Hulk stock out of his safe? He makes it sound like he’s struggling to sell them.
2. Then he say’s they’re loss leaders. He needs to learn what ‘loss leader’ means.
3. He finally sheds light on the real issue: he forces clients to buy a bundle of other hard to sell merchandise, in order to get one of the most coveted watches made.
4. Mentioning his competition offended him? Why?

I just did a quick google search, there are thousands for sale on the internet. Not rare. The old line ‘I only get 1 or 2 a year is their way of telling customers that they’re only selling to VIPs.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 01:20 AM   #22
TheRtHonA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not at all. I bought a 5 digit explorer II from an AD in summer of 2018. Warranty dated to 2018, production date to end of 2010.
TheRtHonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 01:30 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRtHonA View Post
Not at all. I bought a 5 digit explorer II from an AD in summer of 2018. Warranty dated to 2018, production date to end of 2010.
Very nice pickup
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:16 PM   #24
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRtHonA View Post
I'm curious, how do you know the production date of the watch? and did you know it before or after your purchase?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:43 PM   #25
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Please it's mass produced rolex not rarer than any other current model. Hype built up by flippers and grays !
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 09:34 PM   #26
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Many many many...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote