The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
lukestevenson
"TRF" Member

New rolex submariner ? Why ?

Recently went into an ad and got talking about rolex releasing the new sub? sureley this watch is an absolute classic and timeless piece? So then I thought well maybe they will just put the new bracelet on it..... NO, they are going to make it look more like the GMT 11C? thicker crown etc....why why why?
lukestevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
rkb
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPORER II
I agree, I would rather they not try to improve perfection.
Old 16 March 2009, 08:57 PM   #3
alant
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Totally agree! Leave it!
alant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Absolutely agree - the Sub is a timeless classic which Rolex are on the verge of destroying forever.
Old 16 March 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Let's wait to see the finished product before we condemn it, eh?
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

I love the current sub, but at the same time I'm also a bit bored with it. I wouldn't object to it getting some GMT IIc enhancements. Not saying the original should be replaced, but if it was I don't think I'd mind. Of course I reserve final judgement until if and when I actually SEE one. We must also remember that the Sub, like the GMT, has been around so long there are literally millions of them out there, and since just one will last a lifetime we won't have to do without a favorite classic.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Trainer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT, Blue Sub
I agree that I wouldn't change much, or, like to see much changed.
However, I wouldn't mind solid links and GMTIIc- like clasp improvements.

Tempus Fugit,
Trainer
Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 09:49 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Have to agree lets see it in the flesh before making any assumptions or any rumours about any change.When or if we have a real new watch to comment on,then IMHO then be can prevail Judgement on this subject,but at the moment its pure speculation about the Sub.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 09:53 PM   #9
rkb
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPORER II
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Ok, Ok, in the interest of fairness I'll call off the mob......for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angrymobfa2.jpg (32.4 KB, 545 views)
Old 16 March 2009, 10:04 PM   #10
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think if you look at the 18Kt ones on the Rolex site you will see what the next SS will look like, and yes it is very close to the GMT IIc.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 10:05 PM   #11
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Why?

Could be that "function" is driving "form" changes. Possibly a more robust Submariner?
Old 16 March 2009, 10:15 PM   #12
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

You can never keep everybody happy !

If there wasn't any new sub everybody would be complaining that rolex is not modern, slow, old fashioned etc.

Now that rolex is introducing new watches everybody is complaining but MARK my words in 5-6 years all of you will be loving the new rolexes

Same thing happened when the GMT II C released same thing happened when the Deep Sea was released, same thing happened with the funky YM II etc. etc.

Just check some old threads and you'll see what I am talking about

PS. I love the new updated rolexes

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 10:33 PM   #13
CharlieG
"TRF" Member

I think change is good.
I would compare it to cars. I can think of the BMW M3, Porsche 911 to name a few and people thought they could never improve.
It also make us appreciate our classics that much more
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 12:56 AM   #14
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
To sell more, more, more

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukestevenson View Post
Recently went into an ad and got talking about rolex releasing the new sub? sureley this watch is an absolute classic and timeless piece? So then I thought well maybe they will just put the new bracelet on it..... NO, they are going to make it look more like the GMT 11C? thicker crown etc....why why why?
They (Rolex) make nothing from transactions on pre-owned watches which are far more numerous than those on new watches. To get buyers in the door for new watches they have to make periodic changes in the models.
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:08 AM   #15
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
If the sub see's drastic changes. There will be no shortage of old ones going around thats for sure. I love my sub as much as the next guy. But if they give it a shiney look with ceramic bezel. I just wont buy the new one. Or maybe i will!!!! Maybe it will look great. The only sport model that they did i havent liked is the YM2. But it is still a fine piece of enginering i just dont like it.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:09 AM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Agreed, the 16610, 14060, 16613 and 16618 are my favorite watches. Why change a classic design ?
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
All the speculation in the world isn't going to make a difference when it comes to what Rolex may or may not do. I'm sure there will be changes and people will grumble about them. But Rolex is in a competitive business and must put out new products which show innovation and style!!!

So my vote is to wait and see what they do and embrace the changes!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:29 AM   #18
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

It is called PLC (Product Life Cycle) and we all know that Rolex follows all the marketing principles.

And there are 5 stages: R&D, birth of the product, growth, maturity, decline of the product !

Well realistically the sub is an iconic watch but let's be honest it can't compete other diving watches in it's price range with it's current features. Even a 1k omega has a better clasp

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:35 AM   #19
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
It is called PLC (Product Life Cycle) and we all know that Rolex follows all the marketing principles.

And there are 5 stages: R&D, birth of the product, growth, maturity, decline of the product !

Well realistically the sub is an iconic watch but let's be honest it can't compete other diving watches in it's price range with it's current features. Even a 1k omega has a better clasp
Agreed. It just needs a little bit of TLC to get it back up to date. I can't wait to see the Glidelock clasp on it, and a bit of a heftier bracelet - hopefully Rolex will see sense and keep the brushed finish like the Deep Sea.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 02:20 AM   #20
shelley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diamond Datejust
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 02:50 AM   #21
mcubed
"TRF" Member

There is nothing wrong with change. The Sub has always changed...Crown guards, triplock crown, the date, solid end links, white gold surrounds on the dial, and sapphire crystal are all things that were NOT on the original submariner.

Rolex can't just keep producing the same watch. The changes proposed are really not that big of a deal, slightly wider case, revised crown guards and a new bezel insert material. These are in line with previous changes. I just don't understand what everyone is getting so upset about......We should be thankful that Rolex models, even with changes, are instantly recognizable.

the Porsche 911 is also a product that evolved, and I am not sure many would gripe that the car is not EXACTLY the same as it was in the 1960s
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:23 AM   #22
Jazz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Re: the current SS Sub Date Ref: 16610 - Perfection cannot be improved upon, IMHO.

Rolex OP 116300 Datejust II - Random
Rolex OP 116610LN Sub C - V series
Rolex OP 116200 SS DateJust Z series - lost/stolen
Rolex OP 16613 TT 'Bluesy' M series
Rolex OP 16600 SS Sea-Dweller M series
Rolex OP 116523 TT Cosmograph Daytona Z series
Rolex OP 16610 SS Submariner Date Z series - lost/stolen
Santos de Cartier TT 2004 silver dial (Limited Edition)
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:33 AM   #23
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
You can never keep everybody happy !

If there wasn't any new sub everybody would be complaining that rolex is not modern, slow, old fashioned etc.

Now that rolex is introducing new watches everybody is complaining but MARK my words in 5-6 years all of you will be loving the new rolexes

Same thing happened when the GMT II C released same thing happened when the Deep Sea was released, same thing happened with the funky YM II etc. etc.

Just check some old threads and you'll see what I am talking about

PS. I love the new updated rolexes
Totally agree.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:35 AM   #24
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Personally, I wanted to get the new GMT when they released it. I liked how much more robust than my Sub it looked. So, that said, I welcome a change in the Sub, if it mimics that of the GMT. Just my opinion. At least then it gives me a reason to upgrade to the new TT Sub.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:08 AM   #25
dkpw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 & 214270
Of all the modern features of say the GMT IIc or Dipsy, the only one which I would like to see on the current Sub is the glidelock clasp on the bracelet.

The ceramic bezels look great but if a current bezel fades or scratches, you can buy a new one for £60 or so and fit it yourself. Try that with a ceramic bezel. I know the ceramics are not meant to chip or fade but someone will manage it someday.

Rolex are of course "upgrading" the line as they have consistently done, luckily we have the choice - go for the new "fat" styling if you can afford it - or go second-hand if you cannot or want an old style. My late Z without the RBR is how I like it.

David
dkpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:33 AM   #26
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed View Post
There is nothing wrong with change. The Sub has always changed...Crown guards, triplock crown, the date, solid end links, white gold surrounds on the dial, and sapphire crystal are all things that were NOT on the original submariner.

Rolex can't just keep producing the same watch. The changes proposed are really not that big of a deal, slightly wider case, revised crown guards and a new bezel insert material. These are in line with previous changes. I just don't understand what everyone is getting so upset about......We should be thankful that Rolex models, even with changes, are instantly recognizable.
My thoughts exactly, thank you!

News flash guys, that Sub on 99% of the wrists out there HAS changed numerous times over the years, so this is nothing new. Unless you're wearing the first iteration of the Sub, please stop with all this 'No need to change a classic' talk...'cause Rolex has been changing this classic since it first hit the market. Anybody that says differently needs to read up on the history of the Submariner. Why some believe the current model is THE ONLY Sub worth a damn and above any type of improvement/change is beyond me. Lets take the blinders off and look at this situation as it really is - that of just another chapter in the storied history of a great watch. Cheers.

Edit Addition: Another ironic point is how it seem that the same 99% of people that scream "Don't Change the Sub - It's Perfect!!!" always seem to be the same guys that see a vintage Sub and say, "Man, that's a beauty...sure wish I could own such an amazing classic!" Kind of sad & hypocritical if you ask me!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:40 AM   #27
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree lets see it in the flesh before making any assumptions or any rumours about any change.When or if we have a real new watch to comment on,then IMHO then be can prevail Judgement on this subject,but at the moment its pure speculation about the Sub.

I complete agree with Padi56 words.

Anyway, would like to comment that many people regard Sub as the most iconic sport watch ever, also origin of may similar designs from other brands.
And thatīs very true!

Now, this same people request a new Sub, in bigger case size, with ceramic bezel, polished central links, etc.. This gets that hypotetical Sub very far from its original design pattern.

Itīs true that Rolex is a commercial enterprise, whose mayor goal is to get maximun sales & benefits, and as such, he needs to change, improve or accomodate its product line to the taste of his potencial customers, or trends of market.

In this sense, a Watch Company is the same as Car Companies.
A Ford Mustang exists since 1964, but todayīs Mustang is not the same. Anybody knows well that, and a car from that era canīt be compared in comfort and handling with the new versions.

A watch is different than a car anyway, as there are not safety or handling issues involved, modern safety and traffic laws to comply, etc., as long as the watch works as an accurate time piece.

Todayīs Sub is not the same of 1953/54 vintage. Even it is not the same 5513 which is the one model which in my opinion best represents the breed.

Anyway, present made 14060m is a fair compromise of modern design and keeping the looks and spirit of old Submariners.

Now, why change it a little or much more than that??

If a Rolex customer needs -or his fancy dictates- the purchase of a modern dive watch, with a bigger case than Sub one, heavier, trendier, etc., he already got it in the DSSD.
I guess you canīt get any better in Rolex or any other brand.

Iīd love to have the Sub in production in his present configuration, may be improved in its working parts if itīs necessary by any technical reason (donīt think so!) and would really be very sad if a new model replaces it forever.

Just a personal point of view, of course!
Kind regards, Abel

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:42 AM   #28
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Moby33:
Completely agree with your words here!!

Written by Moby33:
"Edit Addition: Another ironic point is how it seem that the same 99% of people that scream "Don't Change the Sub - It's Perfect!!!" always seem to be the same guys that see a vintage Sub and say, "Man, that's a beauty...sure wish I could own such an amazing classic!" Kind of sad & hypocritical if you ask me!"

100% agree!!
Kind regards, Abel

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 06:51 AM   #29
coddger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520,16610,16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
They (Rolex) make nothing from transactions on pre-owned watches which are far more numerous than those on new watches. To get buyers in the door for new watches they have to make periodic changes in the models.
X2 Although everyone's thoughts and opinions are well put, Rolex, just like car manufacturers or any electronic devices needs upgrades to survive the "brand-new" market. I for one love my 16610 and wish Rolex leaves the design alone. But let's wait and see first hand what Rolex comes up with. Maybe in another 5-6 years, we will all say, why didn't they think about that 10 years ago?
Old 17 March 2009, 10:25 AM   #30
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
My thoughts exactly, thank you!

News flash guys, that Sub on 99% of the wrists out there HAS changed numerous times over the years, so this is nothing new. Unless you're wearing the first iteration of the Sub, please stop with all this 'No need to change a classic' talk...'cause Rolex has been changing this classic since it first hit the market. Anybody that says differently needs to read up on the history of the Submariner. Why some believe the current model is THE ONLY Sub worth a damn and above any type of improvement/change is beyond me. Lets take the blinders off and look at this situation as it really is - that of just another chapter in the storied history of a great watch. Cheers.

Edit Addition: Another ironic point is how it seem that the same 99% of people that scream "Don't Change the Sub - It's Perfect!!!" always seem to be the same guys that see a vintage Sub and say, "Man, that's a beauty...sure wish I could own such an amazing classic!" Kind of sad & hypocritical if you ask me!
Spot on!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote