The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2009, 08:56 AM   #1
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
For the Watchmakers

Not sure if this is the correct place for these questions so feel free to move if needed.

How does one become a watchmaker?

What kind of classes and/or schooling is there?

What kind of demand is there for this trade?

My son seems to show a bit of an interest in automatic watches. He is only nine but it is never too early to become educated in something one likes. This would be more of a realistic career path for him as his other options are professional skateboarder or snowboarder.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 09:07 AM   #2
fmalloy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by postiff View Post
This would be more of a realistic career path for him as his other options are professional skateboarder or snowboarder.
Good one! Did you forget professional gamer?

From what I hear, you won't get rich, and you have to have a lot of patience, dedication, concentration, and attention to detail. As I understand it, there is a lot of demand for watchmakers, and there are a few schools for this.

Try posting in the Rolex WatchTech forum, and if you're lucky, Vanessa can help as she is an accomplished practicing watchmaker and is very helpful.
fmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 09:08 AM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

The only truly recognised course is run throughout the world by WOSTEP.
That is the Watchmakers Of Switzerland Training and Education Program.
In the US, you have schools operated by Rolex and Swatch, who teach the WOSTEP program, however this is a 9-5 mon-friday gig, and you dont get paid. If you are successful in gaining a scholarship from Rolex or Swatch, you will spend 2 years learning the basics of the trade, but further training is needed to call yourself a watchmaker. The schools in America are free to attend, but the down side, both Swatch and Rolex do not look to employ graduates from these schools, so you are left to find your own employment, most likely in an AD.

The alternative is the WOSTEP school in Switzerland, however they will not accept applicants from countries with their own Wostep schools, and the costs are upward of 20000CHF.

While there are 'online courses' non of them offer any recognised qualification, and frankly the swiss watch industry will not employ any new generation watchmakers without a wostep diploma. This rules out apprenticeships which are frowned upon.

Your only other real options are checking out local colleges for horlogical courses, or enrolling on the British Horological Institute distance learning course.
http://www.bhi.co.uk/education.html#DLC
this is a good start, and does carry some weight in Switzerland, the UK, and some watch companies, however stores in the US, may not recognise it as it is British.

Alot of information crammed into few words so feel free to PM me for more detailed info
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 09:12 AM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

I forgot to mention,
the demand for watchmakers is HUGE

If you do the job PROPERLY, and stick to the rules. No hack jobs, no aftermarket parts, and dont touch Rolex unless you have their training, you are sure to get a reputation with your clients quickly.

The Swiss estimate there are 80% less watchmakers coming into the trade than there are retiring.

In the past, no, you would not get rich. But i can assure you, wages are getting better and better.

A low lever watchmaker in the UK can earn £40,000 easily. Thats $56k
A master of the trade can earn well over £80,000 which is about $112k
Old 17 March 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
postiff

Wow watchmaker thank you for the crash course. I was curious as to the amount of schooling. My son seems to be real big into the “How much school do I have to attend to do that” question. I said something to him last night about becoming a watchmaker and he asked. He is only nine so no big hurry but it never hurts to check into a high demand career path.

I wish it was not a 9-5 class as I would look into it. Doing what I have done for 13 years I am getting a little tired of it but at the same time I am thankful to have a job and a steady paycheck coming in during these crazy economic times we are in.

Thank again for the info.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

I can sincerely recommed it as a career choice.
The important skills needed are patience and a desire to learn, because you never stop.

I dont have any children, and I myself am only 29. But it is very encouraging to hear there is still a desire to learn the trade.

For yourself, feel free to PM me any questions be they technical or educational. I'd me more than happy to teach you as best I can, all have have to know.

About myself, I trained at WOSTEP in Neuchatel in Switzerland. Then spent 3 years following that at Rolex in Geneva. Then a further 2 With Omega.
Old 17 March 2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Some brands also offer paid apprenticeships in their home country. I think Glashute does, but you can check that out.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

You and your son could take an online course, about $350 or so (including basic tools and a watch to work on). This is a course for amateurs and would be a way to gauge whether watchmaking truly piques your son's interest. At the very least you'll get to spend some time with your kiddo and he will get a watch out of it.

http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/

If he does like it and decides later that he wants to be a watchmaker there are several schools in the US that offer courses.

http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/schools.php

I can't vouch for any of these, maybe someone else has firsthand knowledge.
Saxon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 11:00 AM   #9
mjtql

Watch: Back to the Sub
Great thread b/c I've been thinking about the same. Thanks for all of the info Watchmaker
mjtql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 11:18 AM   #10
archaeofreak
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS 16610
check out the watch technicum in lititz PA. i am thinking of attending after I finish my MA. Its a 2 year program. I have read that most jewelry stores are not hiring now due to the recession, but in 9 years hopefully the demand will be there. If he takes the time zone courses now, and loves it, he will have some background for lititz which will help greatly.

Keep in mind the time zone course I is just taking a watch apart and putting it back together. You have to take the course II to learn to lubricate etc.

The courses are pretty expensive when you consider the amount of tools and supplies needed for courses I and II...and if you want to case the movement you need a case, dial and hands etc..

together may run about 1200...
Old 17 March 2009, 11:28 AM   #11
CharlieG
"TRF" Member

Great information watchmaker.
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 12:39 PM   #12
postiff

Thank you all for the info. This is why I love this forum it is like an extension to my family. I just asked him if he wanted to take apart his Invicta and put it back together. He said yes. So no we will just have to convince mom of this to get the 350.00 plus some more tools for my ever growing tool box.

Watchmaker, 29 huh how did you get into this?
Old 17 March 2009, 12:40 PM   #13
postiff

double post
Old 17 March 2009, 01:18 PM   #14
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Great thread. I've always wondered if I could do it. I have steady hands but short stubby fingers.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 05:39 AM   #15
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by postiff View Post
Thank you all for the info. This is why I love this forum it is like an extension to my family. I just asked him if he wanted to take apart his Invicta and put it back together. He said yes. So no we will just have to convince mom of this to get the 350.00 plus some more tools for my ever growing tool box.

Watchmaker, 29 huh how did you get into this?
My father was a watchmaker, and owned an AD.
My interest just grew and grew.

I would be wary of the timezone online course. It is very amature at best, and if you or your son decide to seriously pursure this, any formal training body will prefer you to have no previous experience. Easier to start from scratch than it is to break old habbits.
Old 18 March 2009, 06:01 AM   #16
postiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
My father was a watchmaker, and owned an AD.
My interest just grew and grew.

I would be wary of the timezone online course. It is very amature at best, and if you or your son decide to seriously pursure this, any formal training body will prefer you to have no previous experience. Easier to start from scratch than it is to break old habbits.
Very cool growing up around something this interesting. My fascination started as soon as I opened up my 1675 and actually saw with my own eyes what drives these beasts. Pictures do no justice to such a primitive yet highly advanced machine.

Starting from a clean slate would make sense.

Thanks again.
Old 18 March 2009, 06:47 AM   #17
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

This is an old post of mine on a different thread....
Quote:
I am trained in Belgium (3 years), Switzerland (for ETA), and Pennsylvania (for Rolex).

Encourage any person, who doesn't really know what to do professionally with todays uncertainties on the job market, to consider watchmaking. It is an awesome job, with great job security, and OK money...

In the USA there are 4 WOSTEP-based schools (Watchmakers Of Switzerland Training and Educational Program). They all have the 2 year program, which will graduate you as a watchmaker. With each of these schools you can request an application. Most of the tuition is "sponsored" by Rolex. Although I don't know exactly how that works. All programs accept 12 students a year, so they can give each and every student the necessary attention required.

Saint Paul College
Watchmaking Program
235 Marshall Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55102
(651)846-1408
www.saintpaul.edu

Nicolas G. Hayek
Watchmaking School
Miami, FL
(201)271-4648
www.nghayekwatchmakingschool.org

North Seattle Community College
Watch Technology Institute
9600 College Way North
Seattle, WA 98103
(206)526-0169
WTI@sccd.ctc.edu

Lititz Watch Technicum
1 Wynfield Drive
Lititz, PA 17543
(717)625-3787
info@lititzwatchtechnicum.org

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 06:59 AM   #18
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I'm 14, and I think its cool to see how a rolex is put together. So I go to my watchmaker every week and he teaches me something different each weekend. Hes a nice guy, even though I can't really talk to him (language barrier). Right now I'm just practicing taking out straps, replacing straps, opening casebacks, etc... Its pretty fun!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 06:59 AM   #19
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Well, I'm just playing with some junky watches, not a rolex!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote