The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 March 2009, 12:35 PM   #1
thecoinopcollector

Appreciating My IIC as it Ages and Gains Beauty Marks

I am a bit OCD. I fix the tassels on the Oriental rug and constantly pick fuzzies off the carpet. As such I was afraid to buy a Rolex because I thought I'd obsess over scratching it.

Well almost two years ago I made the big jump and bought a IIC. When I saw it at the AD it was love at first sight. For about the first month I babied it. I was constantly looking for scratches and polishing the clasp. Well 20 monts later I wear it daily and without a worry. I even played lacrosse with it on last week. It still looks great and the light scratches are only noticeable on close inspection. I think it is developing a classic worn look that I am really enjoying, and I may be crazy, but I think the Lume is developing a slight patina.

I never thought I'd feel this way but I think its aging beautifully. I still love the feel of the IIC on my wrist and I really love the feel of freedom I've developed in wearing it, that is wearing it without worrying about banging it up.

Anyway, just felt like a little rant and that's my two cents for today.
thecoinopcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
double post
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
From day one I wore mine daily without worry I bought mine for this very reason. It is good to hear that you are enjoying yours. The GMT IIc is a wonderful watch in fact it is the only watch I will ever wear for the rest of my life.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
I went camping with a bunch of friends and our kids a few weeks ago... wore the GMTIIc... didn't even think twice.. we ended up playing an impromtu game of water polo in knee deep water.. I did lots of "dives" for the ball, watch took a bit of a battering, with my wrists scraping the sandy bottom of the ocean... it also took lots of hard bangs (the ball was a heavy leather job...) I probably should have taken it off, but what the hell... it's made for a beating and has kept perfect time since (+/- 0.25 sec/day)

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
That's a nice feeling

Funny, I feel least comfortable wearing a watch in the office - in fact I usually don't bother. Offices seem to be the most hazardous places for tough sports watches (& their owners)

Desks, cabinets, washrooms, sliding doors, security barriers, jealous colleagues... very risky

Cheers
Old 17 March 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
biggums
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 2c Sub Blue
The Rolex's are "tanks". They are beautiful tanks but are made to wear all the time. After you get the first scratch that's when you will really enjoy wearing it.

The only time I put mine in my pocket is when i'm washing my bike or car or wrenching on something. I'm afraid the bif watch will scratch my ride.
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 11:20 PM   #7
biggums
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 2c Sub Blue
Deleted

Deleted for a new post. Sorry!

Last edited by biggums; 17 March 2009 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Meant to post a new thread with this one@
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 11:24 PM   #8
angelic_demon252000

Watch: 14060M
talking about scratching our beloved watch, about two days ago i vaguely knock something with my watch and it seems like i cant remember what did i knock into, and only a few hours after that i noticed that i dented the bezel on my beloved sub. i can tolerate scratches as i always think it give character to the watch but a dent on bezel? it somehow rather annoyed me. huhuhuh
angelic_demon252000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 01:11 AM   #9
thecoinopcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
That's a nice feeling

Offices seem to be the most hazardous places for tough sports watches (& their owners)

Desks, cabinets, washrooms, sliding doors, security barriers, jealous colleagues... very risky

Cheers
I agree, I'm constantly knocking it on door jams, reaching into a desk drawer etc.
thecoinopcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2009, 01:44 AM   #10
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
its a great watch, i wore it today for st patricks day haha

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote