The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

126600 Sea-Dweller Lume Pip?

Does anyone know if the lume pip has a sapphire crystal on it? I can't tell and there doesn't appear to be any mention of it. It definitely has a pronounced dome shape and so I'm wondering what that is actually made out of, like if that is literally just luminous paint or what. If it did have a sapphire crystal covering it I would have expected it to be completely flat.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Dr.Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:40 PM   #2
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
interesting, never noticed it. I'm going to see mine with a loupe tonight.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:45 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tautology View Post
Does anyone know if the lume pip has a sapphire crystal on it? I can't tell and there doesn't appear to be any mention of it. It definitely has a pronounced dome shape and so I'm wondering what that is actually made out of, like if that is literally just luminous paint or what. If it did have a sapphire crystal covering it I would have expected it to be completely flat.

Yes its a sapphire dome to cover the lume paint it's called a insert pearl by the way,and Rolex has developed a special tool, so now lume pearl can be replaced if needed, instead of the very costly whole ceramic insert..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:48 PM   #4
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes its a sapphire dome to cover the lume paint it's called a insert pearl by the way,and Rolex has developed a special tool, so now lume pearl can be replaced if needed, instead of the very costly whole ceramic insert..
Old 19 January 2020, 07:04 PM   #5
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Once again, great info Peter
Old 20 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #6
Dr.Tautology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome, thank you for the info! I have seen plenty of insert pearls with sapphire, but never with a domed sapphire. It's a neat detail. I also think this may be the only Rolex using this type of insert pearl or at least it's the only reference I've seen it on.

Dr.Tautology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 12:29 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote