The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2020, 05:16 AM   #1
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Given up

I have given up on getting a ceramic daytona at MSRP. Waitlists are meaningless. These pieces only go to those with substantial purchase histories 99.999% of the time. This is my grail Rolex but I refuse to pay over MSRP or spend $50-100 thousand so that I can get preferred treatment.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:17 AM   #2
Rolexfellow
Banned

Exactly
Rolexfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #3
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexfellow View Post
Exactly
Old 1 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I’m there with you. A Daytona is actually the ONLY other Rolex I want right now, and if I can’t get that...I guess I don’t want anymore Rolex. There are a lot of good brands and watches out there.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #5
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

yep, they are meaningless.

There's probably hundreds of their customers that want a Daytona, so obviously when they get one it will go to someone with a better history with them.

They aren't going to shun past customers to sell it to someone off the street they don't know who may have questionable intentions (not referring to you, just in general)

It's just too bad supply can't try to catch up to demand.
Old 1 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #6
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
i may get blasted for saying this, but some of the Omega Speedy chronos are nice.
Old 1 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #7
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrider View Post
i have given up on getting a ceramic daytona at msrp. Waitlists are meaningless. These pieces only go to those with substantial purchase histories 99.999% of the time. This is my grail rolex but i refuse to pay over msrp or spend $50-100 thousand so that i can get preferred treatment.
+1
Old 1 February 2020, 05:36 AM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Maybe one day a few years down the road we’ll look back and say “remember when everyone wanted the Daytona and it was double MSRP”?
I personally think the premium for all SS except the Daytona will go away soon. When the hype dies down it will go away fast. But what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:38 AM   #9
Water Wonderland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_Denver View Post
i may get blasted for saying this, but some of the Omega Speedy chronos are nice.
Sure are. I'm considering a Speedmaster Racing or Dark Side of the Moon myself.
Rolex GMT Master II 16710
Water Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:42 AM   #10
Rosex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Maybe one day a few years down the road we’ll look back and say “remember when everyone wanted the Daytona and it was double MSRP”?
I personally think the premium for all SS except the Daytona will go away soon. When the hype dies down it will go away fast. But what do I know?

100% correct, only question is how long will it take for the hype to build up again. The moral of the story is to buy what you like when you can. My AD told me about the days when he would order 10 black and 10 white Daytonas and they would arrive as per request.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #11
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Here is a different perspective. I wanted a ss Daytona back in 2004... I was just a year out of college at that time and one of my manager had one. That began my search and quest for one. Same situation as today wait list was way long and grey cost a fortune. It took me 5 years to finally buy one at an AD. It was 2009 in Hawaii when me and wife were on a vacation to celebrate our engagement. Be patient and don’t give up. No one can predict the market and when the next downturn will hit, but make sure you have the funds to jump on a deal because it can happen at any time. Good luck
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 05:59 AM   #12
djgallo
Banned

If I were you I would look at the discontinued Daytonas 5, and 6 digit, as well as TT Daytonas......they can be had for a lot less than the DaytonaC and they are very nice, in some ways even nicer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A45029D3-FE9D-49C3-A36D-CFBD155494A3.jpeg (241.1 KB, 1766 views)
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:09 AM   #13
emtee
"TRF" Member

Get a Zenith or a Speedy :)
emtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:53 AM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
I have given up on getting a ceramic daytona at MSRP. Waitlists are meaningless. These pieces only go to those with substantial purchase histories 99.999% of the time. This is my grail Rolex but I refuse to pay over MSRP or spend $50-100 thousand so that I can get preferred treatment.
Definitely, better to move on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:56 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Settle in. Took me 14 years to get a ss Daytona, once I got it, realized it was not for me anyway. The wait and the hunt were more fun then having it on my wrist.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #16
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
If I were you I would look at the discontinued Daytonas 5, and 6 digit, as well as TT Daytonas......they can be had for a lot less than the DaytonaC and they are very nice, in some ways even nicer.
That's probably my second favorite Rolex TT (after the Rootbeer of course )
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 07:00 AM   #17
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Yes, other chronos out there.....
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 07:20 AM   #18
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I’m with you on not paying a penny over retail price, however, I’m not smith you on waiting a Daytona, I don’t like it at all, any chronograph in fact.

Quote:
Old 1 February 2020, 07:25 AM   #19
psv
"TRF" Member

While I hate the current situation, just wait and be patient.

Rolex are not worth paying crazy prices for, like the 116520. While it is getting very hard to find a nice unpolished one with box and papers, it was never a rare watch. There is literally over 1,000 for sale on Chrono24. Still, people want crazy prices.

Just hang in there. And don't fret, it is just a watch, there are more important things in life (as we all know)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 07:46 AM   #20
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

I too have been lusting after this piece but shifted gears and have a deposit on the first Omega 321 my AD gets!
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 07:50 AM   #21
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
These pieces only go to those with substantial purchase histories 99.999% of the time.
Guess I'm in the .001%. My three purchases from my AD have been BLNR, BLRO, and Daytona. Keep looking.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Guess I'm in the .001%. My three purchases from my AD have been BLNR, BLRO, and Daytona. Keep looking.

So what you are saying is that these are easy to get and you don’t know what everyone is talking about?

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #23
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If I could buy a Daytona today at MSRP, then after owning it for some time I decide to sell it and market price is greater than retail, I would be ecstatic. If I buy a Daytona today at market price, and then after owning it for some time I decide to sell it and market price is at or above what I paid for it then I would be ecstatic. I would just buy one today if that's something I really wanted in my life. If you're young you can wait. When you're older and the movies half over, then I need it now and I'm wearing it everyday until I get tired of it.
Old 1 February 2020, 08:24 AM   #24
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Sound decision, OP.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:34 AM   #25
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

These watches are readily available. There is no supply problem. You may not be able to get any SS models at MSRP but many can. Alot then choose to flip.

Supply is readily available to anyone with the money to pay. If you choose not to pay over MSRP, that is fine and your decision.

Just because you (collective you) cannot buy at MSRP doesnt mean there is a suppy problem.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:36 AM   #26
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
These watches are readily available. There is no supply problem. You may not be able to get any SS models at MSRP but many can. Alot then choose to flip.

Supply is readily available to anyone with the money to pay.
I can get many SS at MSRP, but not the Daytona. The Daytona is not readily available. I have the money and am ready to pay... but there is no "readily available" supply of Daytonas at MSRP.
Old 1 February 2020, 08:40 AM   #27
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Just because you (collective you) cannot buy at MSRP doesnt mean there is a suppy problem.
But there sure as hell is a demand problem. If you (the non-collective, singular you) can get an SS ceramic daytona at MSRP in a year I'll eat my hat.
Old 1 February 2020, 08:48 AM   #28
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Again, just because you cannot get models at MSRP does not mean there is a supply problem.

You can buy all these models shipped to your door in 24 hours. You will just have to pay over MSRP.

Most of the models at MSRP have been sold to customers, flippers, and some in the safe waiting for VIPs.

Yes, demand is pretty high for MSRP because many want to sell for profit. Unfortunately that hurts the regular collector who wants to buy to keep and wear.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:54 AM   #29
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Again, just because you cannot get models at MSRP does not mean there is a supply problem.

You can buy all these models shipped to your door in 24 hours. You will just have to pay over MSRP.

Most of the models at MSRP have been sold to customers, flippers, and some in the safe waiting for VIPs.

Yes, demand is pretty high for MSRP because many want to sell for profit. Unfortunately that hurts the regular collector who wants to buy to keep and wear.
... have you been reading this thread? I never said there’s a supply problem. My whole point of posting was to say that it’s impossible to get an SS Daytona at MSRP and I’m not paying the ridiculous grey prices. I don’t see the point of your posts. Thanks for contributing though and have a good rest of your afternoon.
Old 1 February 2020, 08:56 AM   #30
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:

Yes. In the current world, MSRP is better described as a discount on fair market value. Not everyone gets the discount, but anyone could get the watch if they are truly willing.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote