The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2020, 02:39 PM   #61
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I started a monthly journal thread over 2 years ago here and that was nearly 1 year after wanting a 116500LN.

During that time I was able to get a BLNR and Sub LV within a 2 month span in 2018. Didn’t want anything else other than a Daytona since then. Even passed on a BLRO last yr. so it is def possible to get many popular models with some luck and a good AD. The current SS Daytona is an entirely different beast and it isn’t the first time.

The SS Daytona has been difficult to get at MSRP from ADs on and off since 1988 or so. Now I hear probably the same # of Daytona SS models are being made but demand is insane with social media attention, China buyers, some ADs bundling with many DJs to move inventory, flippers, etc... at the same time I see the same US-based resellers with less than. 6 month old dated 116500s for sale.

It's pathetic. I will never support a gray reseller by paying over MSRP + tax for a watch still in production.

I've been told from my AD my time will come in 2021. Who knows but I’ve given up also. What if it's my time in the queue and some rich guy comes in, spends $50k on jewelry, and decides to buy a watch. I'M SOL.

Ended up selling a few watches plus things around the house and bought a 16520. I'm happy. If I’m going to pay some crazy price for a watch, at least it's a long since retired model and an extra $12k isn’t into going a gray's pocket as profit.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:41 PM   #62
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Just don’t settle. Make sure that the other watch sings just as loudly or you will end up still wanting the Daytona down the road with the added baggage of that other watch.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:58 PM   #63
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I personally think the premium for all SS except the Daytona will go away soon. When the hype dies down it will go away fast. But what do I know?

I agree with this - and have said it a few times already. I think this year we’ll see more Subs, GMTs - etc in terms of stainless references in the ADs - and I think the Daytonas are going to become harder and harder to find. I wouldn’t be surprised if the secondary market ‘values’ creep up higher -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:52 PM   #64
vicsdca
Banned

Go to watch enterprise and rent a Daytona for a week. Then you'll know if you must really own one.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:13 PM   #65
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
If AD's relied purely on the big hitters to spend money in their store they would soon go bankrupt. Its the everyday people that keep these stores alive. Its sad that they almost discriminate against the 'average Joe' by not offering a product therefore making it a commodity.
Old 1 February 2020, 08:23 PM   #66
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_Denver View Post
i may get blasted for saying this, but some of the Omega Speedy chronos are nice.
And it has much better history and heritage.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:43 PM   #67
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
What about a nice TT-Daytona?!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #68
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
What about a nice TT-Daytona?!
I don’t like TT
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 06:27 AM   #69
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
I don’t like TT
Yeh another brand is your best option
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 06:56 AM   #70
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Okay...have a great day
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #71
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
The white Daytona C is really a watch I would want but only at MSRP. I would not mind seeing another Rolex model in that color scheme if it was readily available. Both requests are not possible though lol.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #72
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
I have given up on getting a ceramic daytona at MSRP. Waitlists are meaningless. These pieces only go to those with substantial purchase histories 99.999% of the time. This is my grail Rolex but I refuse to pay over MSRP or spend $50-100 thousand so that I can get preferred treatment.
Daytona SS has been hard to get for more than 25-30 years....

This phenomenon has had its ups and downs but for the most part it has consistently been a challenging watch to get your hands on at MSRP.

However, the last 2-3 years the market and challenge has increased exponentially. Unfortunately that is the reality for the foreseeable future. Not everyone will have a Daytona SS at MSRP because of lack of spending history or connections.

This is similar to not everyone can buy/afford/connections for a mansion in Malibu, CA, a ski chalet in the Swiss Alps, a Ferrari LaFerrari or Porsche 911 GT2 RS in the driveway, be in the owner's box for the Super Bowl, get past the velvet rope of a hot club in NY, or own a ALS triple split Datograph......

Not everyone will get a Daytona 116500 at MSRP.

Luxury/VIP items will always have barriers to entry. And just having cash doesn't necessarily grant you access. Daytona SS at msrp is one of those items (at least in this market). So it really comes down what you're prepared to do.

If you don't want to "play" and do nothing then good for you and start looking for other watches. However if you will do something then great - can't wait for you to post incoming on TRF.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:26 AM   #73
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Two tone daytonas are a good option. I actually like the look of the two tone more in a way. More versatile...
I guess only way to get a SS Daytona is to buy a few watches first and then maybe buy a PM watch along with it in a combo deal!
The day I can buy a day date, is when I’ll ask for a combo deal of a SS daytona along

Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:35 AM   #74
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
the more people that give up and refuse to play the game, the sooner things can go back to normal hopefully
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #75
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Yes it is tough - persistence and relationships can pay off though. Refer people to your AD - find other ways to get your value added to their store.

I went the tough route and ponied up for a new DD for my wife which got me my Daytona C.
Old 19 February 2020, 03:46 AM   #76
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
the more people that give up and refuse to play the game, the sooner things can go back to normal hopefully
Many more are willing to step up and chase things they desperately want
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #77
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Many more are willing to step up and chase things they desperately want
Agreed. There seem to be plenty of folks out there willing to pay 20K+ for a steel Daytona. Either pony up the cash or consider never having one on your wrist. Or...go with white gold. They are more readily available.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:02 AM   #78
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
i may get blasted for saying this, but some of the Omega Speedy chronos are nice.
Yep, was going to say the same thing. I prefer the Speedies over the Daytona anyway. Picked this one up at 35%+ off retail. Unless you are tied to the Crown, there are a LOT of other high quality options out there and no surcharge or waiting list required!

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:06 AM   #79
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Many people will pay whatever price to have a watch with Rolex on the dial.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 04:14 AM   #80
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I have to wonder these days how many people REALLY REALLY want a Daytona because they are hard to get.

It's a human nature thing, we want what we can't have. (or are difficult to get).

And the people that won't pay over MSRP for something they REALLY want, you could just ask yourself why. MSRP is just an arbitrary number.

5 years ago X house cost xx dollars. Today it cost XXX dollars. So do you go, I won't buy it, or do you just bite the bullet and pay the money. Seems like easy decisions.

You decided you want a new house. Listed at 1 million dollars. It's perfect. You put in your offer and your real estate agent comes back and says there are 3 offers. If you offer another 100,000. it's yours.

Do you do it?

Some people make $100,000 a year and some make $200,000 a year and some make a million a year. Does MSRP seem like an equal amount to those 3 people.

If you really want something, and can swing it, do it.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #81
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I have to wonder these days how many people REALLY REALLY want a Daytona because they are hard to get.

It's a human nature thing, we want what we can't have. (or are difficult to get).

And the people that won't pay over MSRP for something they REALLY want, you could just ask yourself why. MSRP is just an arbitrary number.

5 years ago X house cost xx dollars. Today it cost XXX dollars. So do you go, I won't buy it, or do you just bite the bullet and pay the money. Seems like easy decisions.

You decided you want a new house. Listed at 1 million dollars. It's perfect. You put in your offer and your real estate agent comes back and says there are 3 offers. If you offer another 100,000. it's yours.

Do you do it?

Some people make $100,000 a year and some make $200,000 a year and some make a million a year. Does MSRP seem like an equal amount to those 3 people.

If you really want something, and can swing it, do it.
Agreed. How about the couple who pays 350K to buy a house that sold new in 1980 for 80K? It is still an 80K house maybe a few modern upgrades! But they are willing to pay 350K, and if they say no there is another couple waiting in the que with their 350K loan ready to go!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:12 AM   #82
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Get 116520, just as good
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:12 AM   #83
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No way. I agree. The racing speedy with white dial is a beautiful piece.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #84
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Agreed. How about the couple who pays 350K to buy a house that sold new in 1980 for 80K? It is still an 80K house maybe a few modern upgrades! But they are willing to pay 350K, and if they say no there is another couple waiting in the que with their 350K loan ready to go!
From seeing some posts on TRF, I thought nobody here had any debt. No mortgage, no car payments, etc. Only then do they buy a Rolex.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #85
mr. rpm
"TRF" Member

cracks me up....everyone knows a new SS Daytona is worth more than MSRP anywhere in the world....and next to impossible to get at MSRP unless the AD has a good reason to grant you this favor...and that's what it is a very nice FAVOR... because its like selling you the watch with approx $15K or so hidden inside the box.... yet some guys are firm in their thinking that they really want one yet refuse to pay one PENNY over MSRP....but guess what? if one of those guys would somehow get lucky and get one at MSRP and decided to sell it later for whatever reason then they will be selling THEIR SS Daytona for MSRP because that's the right thing to do, right? yeah we know the answer to that....lol
mr. rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #86
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I just looked at the TT with a champagne dial in an AD's case. Wow is that a great looking watch. Wish I could swing it. I suggest folks who really want a Daytona to take a look at what is out there and available in ADs. To me it is suggestive of just wanting what is not available, TT are available so they are a no go. Hard to figure.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #87
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

In the current market its basically pay to play. IF you want a Daytona (soon or in some AD responses 'ever') you'll have to pony up the extra cash to get one. Just buy one Gray and be done with it.

I do find it funny though...those that refuse to pay a cent over MSRP but certainly wouldn't mind selling it at above that...human nature i suppose.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:21 AM   #88
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
99% will not be able to buy SS Daytona at retail.
Just accept the fact and move on.

Buy grey and enjoy.
Unless you wanna be the richest guy in the coffin.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:22 AM   #89
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I hope those who say "MSRP only" would insist on paying more if the market price was below MSRP? I hope so.

Personally, when I consider a purchase I just look at the price at which it is offered or negotiated - be it a watch, a car, a piece of art, whatever - and decide if it is worth it to me. If it is, let's go. If not, I move on and don't complain on a forum.

I also am not going to wait around for my name to come up on some "list". Life is too short.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:35 AM   #90
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Wonderland View Post
Sure are. I'm considering a Speedmaster Racing or Dark Side of the Moon myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Yep, was going to say the same thing. I prefer the Speedies over the Daytona anyway.
I've owned two Daytonas, could never tell what time it was. Beautiful watches but overrated and don't get me started on the ceramic bezel.

Heck, right now I'm wearing my 100% ceramic Speedmaster DSOTM with which I can actually read the time, and I bought it new at a discount.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote