The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2020, 12:05 PM   #31
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
My only piece of advice is to switch banks. $120 for a wire transfer is highway robbery. Other than that, enjoy your new watch and be sure to post pictures.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 02:06 PM   #32
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
I get the pleasure of telling my wife tonight. I'm thinking I should probably just surprise her with a Valentines day trip....although not sure she's going to be thrilled with a redeye out on a Friday night, Saturday morning arrival and Sunday morning departure. Going to try for "Up for a spontaneous, quick and fun adventure? Oh hey! Another watch!...that's already paid for! I'm so lucky!"
I laughed out loud at this!

Something tells me you might have to buy some ladies jewelry on this trip too

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 02:22 PM   #33
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
I get the pleasure of telling my wife tonight. I'm thinking I should probably just surprise her with a Valentines day trip....although not sure she's going to be thrilled with a redeye out on a Friday night, Saturday morning arrival and Sunday morning departure. Going to try for "Up for a spontaneous, quick and fun adventure? Oh hey! Another watch!...that's already paid for! I'm so lucky!"
By all means, let us know how this works out. I see some earrings in her future.
Old 7 February 2020, 04:54 PM   #34
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Why would the AD need to call someone offshore to wire transfer funds and wait until you visit the island to pick up. No other travelers on the island would buy a Hulk at retail today? I would think gone in 60 seconds!
Old 7 February 2020, 07:24 PM   #35
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
If you call the AD and the account number have the AD nameI don't see any problem!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 03:25 AM   #36
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
My only piece of advice is to switch banks. $120 for a wire transfer is highway robbery. Other than that, enjoy your new watch and be sure to post pictures.
The $120 was being charged by the AD. My bank fee was $45, but they waived it.
530ExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 03:31 AM   #37
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Why would the AD need to call someone offshore to wire transfer funds and wait until you visit the island to pick up. No other travelers on the island would buy a Hulk at retail today? I would think gone in 60 seconds!
I'm sure they would have no problem selling it on the island in a heartbeat, but they did have a lengthy waiting list and I'm glad they actually honored it. I'm certain they had customers waiting to purchase and I suspect that the "3 year wait list" was condensed due to the number of buyers that pass on purchasing because they are not comfortable making a payment in full the same day or dropping everything and getting out there in 3 days.

Definitely a risk, but I'm feeling fairly good about it after calling the AD, confirming banking details, receiving pictures with my name, date and the watch and reverse image lookup on the images they sent. Wasn't going to pass up on a watch I've been trying to get for the past 3 years at last years MSRP (pre-price increase). Hopefully everything works out, but agree that it is one of those things that feels a little too convenient (minus the pain in the rear to pick up).
Old 8 February 2020, 03:53 AM   #38
mjr2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn't sure if anyone might have other ideas as far as things I might be able to do to verify or if someone had advice/warning. If someone had been in a similar situation, taken the steps mentioned and was burned and could offer insight, I'd love to hear it. I purchased my BLNR in a similar way, but that was only a few states away and they actually shipped it to me before I wired the $....which was crazy. The $ is wired at this point, so hopefully I've covered my bases.
I saw a post on the forum from a member with two older references that seemed solid. Called the guy, had a great chat, confirmed he owned the business he said he did (car repair or something similar). Business had a 4.9* google review. Called the business number and got him.

After that chat i wired him 33k for the everrose daytona. Watch is perfect.
If you're working directly with the dealer and you called the dealer and verified it i'm not sure what can go wrong. Of course a store could always theoretically go out of business but i wouldn't wait too long after wiring the money to go grab it.

Good luck!!
mjr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 03:55 AM   #39
mjr2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure they would have no problem selling it on the island in a heartbeat, but they did have a lengthy waiting list and I'm glad they actually honored it. I'm certain they had customers waiting to purchase and I suspect that the "3 year wait list" was condensed due to the number of buyers that pass on purchasing because they are not comfortable making a payment in full the same day or dropping everything and getting out there in 3 days.

Definitely a risk, but I'm feeling fairly good about it after calling the AD, confirming banking details, receiving pictures with my name, date and the watch and reverse image lookup on the images they sent. Wasn't going to pass up on a watch I've been trying to get for the past 3 years at last years MSRP (pre-price increase). Hopefully everything works out, but agree that it is one of those things that feels a little too convenient (minus the pain in the rear to pick up).
"Too Convenient" opportunities happen all the time but you have to be comfortable jumping on them. Like i said in my last post, i searched for that everrose daytona and with sales tax at an AD i saved over 9k buying it from that forum post that was a year old! So i'd be happy you have the opportunity to get what you want.
mjr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 03:58 AM   #40
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
They're a major AD with over 25 locations and have been in business for nearly a century. Not too concerned about shuttering, just wanted to make sure that the person I'm communicating with is who she says. They sent additional pics of the watch, box and warranty card along with my name and today's date written on the business card of the AD within 5 minutes of me requesting it. Wire sent and flight booked for next week!
No brainer dude. Congrats!
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #41
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Love the dedication! Have a good trip!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 04:49 AM   #42
RolexOBGYN
"TRF" Member

Any photos from the Caribbean yet ?
RolexOBGYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #43
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Looks good. I got the call for a Daytona one time. Flew to Cancun, got the watch, played a round of golf, had dinner; on the AD and flew home the next day.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #44
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Good luck. Go get it.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:17 PM   #45
RolexOBGYN
"TRF" Member

Any update?!
RolexOBGYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 04:05 AM   #46
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexOBGYN View Post
Any update?!
Waiting for funds to clear (hopefully today, but no later than tomorrow). I'm also coordinating travel with my wife so looking like maybe leaving Friday evening.
Old 11 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #47
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
The $120 was being charged by the AD. My bank fee was $45, but they waived it.

The AD is charging you $120 for the pleasure of accepting your money? I mean, you’re still coming out ahead on a hulk, but that policy is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 06:04 AM   #48
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Personally I would insist on them holding it for me and show them proof of the flight tickets you have bought to go and collect it. That should be enough proof you’re serious about buying.

Not to worry you but fraudsters are very clever nowadays there’s so many possibilities how you could potentially be being scammed. That could have got access to the AD’s list, diverted the call. The possibilities are endless.

That’s what I would do anyway, I hope it works out for you.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #49
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Personally I would insist on them holding it for me and show them proof of the flight tickets you have bought to go and collect it. That should be enough proof you’re serious about buying.

Not to worry you but fraudsters are very clever nowadays there’s so many possibilities how you could potentially be being scammed. That could have got access to the AD’s list, diverted the call. The possibilities are endless.

That’s what I would do anyway, I hope it works out for you.
They would only hold it for 3 days (which I understand given how quickly these sell) and I couldn't get out there in time. They let me know this morning that the funds have cleared and sent me the reciept/paperwork. Flight is booked for Friday night and I'm picking it up Saturday afternoon. Tee time booked for Sunday morning with a return flight that afternoon. Gonna be a quick trip, but all looks good so far!
Old 12 February 2020, 05:36 AM   #50
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
...could have got access to the AD’s list, diverted the call....
I totally get all the ways in which they could have orchestrated a scam, but the $ has been delivered and they are still corresponding with me, which I assume is a good sign. Also curious how they could divert a call to a number that the AD owns that is listed on Rolex's website? I get how they could clone the number and call me from one appearing to be the same, but not sure how a call could be "diverted." If that is something you've heard of happening I'd love to see the source and understand how it works because that would be a problem not just for this type of scam but really anything. If scammers could do that, why not just divert calls from financial institutions and request all kinds of personal information when people call their bank?
Old 12 February 2020, 05:48 AM   #51
sea206
"TRF" Member

$120 for wire transfer is definitely more than what I just paid, $25 from the local credit union.

Good luck!
sea206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 05:55 AM   #52
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

For further verification, you could do investigation into the Bank that you are wiring the money to. Make sure it is a legit bank, call them, confirm the wire information as much as they will let you. So far it sounds like a legit situation, but that would be my next step.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:04 AM   #53
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea206 View Post
$120 for wire transfer is definitely more than what I just paid, $25 from the local credit union.

Good luck!
$120 was the AD's fee for accepting a wire transfer. Not sure why because I imagine it was probably less expensive for them to receive a wire transfer than to accept my AMEX, but whatever. The duty free price was less than the current price on Rolex's website (in line with what they quoted me 8 months ago). Minus any food and transportation costs when I get there, this will still be a great deal for me. I used airline miles for both flights as well as points for my hotel. Paid $24 for a better seat and just a couple bucks in fees to use the miles. All in all, the biggest inconvenience will be the time away from the family and having a conversation as to why with the Mrs.
Old 12 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #54
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
I travel a ton for work and it's only 20k miles for round trip with crappy routing. The time sucks more than the cost. Fingers crossed for an upgrade.

I’d do it. Sounds like fun, and congrats in advance on the LVc, mine says hello

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #55
Harry49
Banned

Go for it and enjoy your trip.......
Harry49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:16 AM   #56
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I'm leaving on a redeye Friday, got some books I've been meaning to read downloaded and going to try to enjoy this very short trip. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but after her showing her all the classified posting for what people are selling Hulk's for I think she kinda gets it. Getting excited now. I also did a reverse image lookup on the photo of the woman in her WhatsApp profile that we've been communicating on and found her Facebook page (name and pictures match). Her profile picture is actually her behind the glass of what appears to be an empty Rolex case at the resort I put my name on the waiting list for. Feeling much more comfortable about who I've been speaking with and the legitimacy of the transaction. Unless this is an Ocean's 11 style scam with diverted AD phone numbers, photoshopped images of the exact place I put my name on the list and a fake FB profile pulled together with a ton of detail and backstory, I think I'm good. On the off chance I do get scammed.....eh, bravo. That was a lot of work for them and my hat is off. Take my money.
Old 15 February 2020, 11:06 PM   #57
530ExplorerII
"TRF" Member

It’s about that time....

Old 15 February 2020, 11:22 PM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Have a safe flight, congratulations in advance
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:33 PM   #59
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Sounds like quite the adventure. Hope it all works out.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:41 PM   #60
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
It’s about that time....

Safe travels. Please keep us updated.

Maybe a wrist shot with the hulk on the greens?

Edit: was telling my wife your story. She just said “wow”.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote