The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2020, 09:57 AM   #31
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cali View Post
The super case and maxi dial are not going anywhere, new movement will happen eventually, new PM's models makes sense...could possibly see them increasing the size but with the Explorer II and the Sea Dweller not sure that makes sense, the YM comes in multiple sizes so who knows.
This I agree with.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:05 AM   #32
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Will they change the model number if it gets the new movement? If not, then most people won't know or care, and I suspect the AD's won't bother telling anyone which movement they get when they buy a sub...

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:11 AM   #33
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
Will they change the model number if it gets the new movement? If not, then most people won't know or care, and I suspect the AD's won't bother telling anyone which movement they get when they buy a sub...

-Dan
It'd be a 126610
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:29 AM   #34
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I wonder if the new movement for the Sub will come a year later than the Sub date?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #35
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post

-Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
It'd be a 126610
Correct.
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:52 AM   #36
nick800
"TRF" Member

The question isn’t will they put the 3235 in a sub. The question really is, what aesthetic changes to the sub will announce the 3235 inclusion? The aesthetics is what will drive the hype. Not the movement.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:16 PM   #37
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
I like the extra power reserve. Now is Friday pm, I just put my DJ away and switched to an explorer, I will pick up the DJ again on Monday morning and it will be just fine.
Agreed. The extra power reserve is very practical and useful.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #38
FSUGeoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Noles Score!
Quote:
the sooner Rolex move away from the super case the better. Don't care about resale value or "we will appreciate it in the future" It is not a balanced design. Porsche 996 of the 911 range.
Because of people like you I have a pristine 996 I paid like 20K for. (Carrera 2, 6 speed, guard red) THANK YOU.
Old 15 February 2020, 01:47 PM   #39
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Short-term, probably lose a little value. Long term, it’ll increase. At least that has been the trend in the past in relation to the MSRP.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #40
HNS
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Added PR to me is unimportant. Nothing to setting a Rolex watch. I would keep the one you have. From reports I have read, the older movement is easier to work on, which could become an issue if the watch becomes an heirloom for your family.
That's a good point
HNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:06 AM   #41
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
agree, we are 10 years into this square abomination.
You might want to look at other brands or Rolex models because the super case is here to stay on the Sub/GMT line.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:16 AM   #42
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
You might want to look at other brands or Rolex models because the super case is here to stay on the Sub/GMT line.

No worries, got some non supercase Rolex models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #43
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSpazz View Post
Why would they discontinue the no date ?

They won’t will they.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 01:40 AM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Exactly this.

The “changes”they’ve made to the case / lugs on the 126710 GMT line are barely noticeable at least to my eye. It’s a different wearing watch to the 116710 but IMO that’s due to the end link/jubilee bracelet combo more than anything else.

I can’t imagine the changes they make to the new Submariner line will be much different than the current generation but who knows ... maybe Rolex will surprise us.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:28 AM   #45
Claven2
"TRF" Member

My prediction is there will be a subtle change to what's printed on the dial to coincide with a new movement and that is about it. They will do something to make it easier for the rsc folks to ID what movement is inside to make service triage easier, but it won't be a big change. Just a small visual cue.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:57 AM   #46
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I suspect there will be some “disappointed” folks come Basel when the Submariner gets no change or “update”.

Movement updates will happen eventually (agree likely PM - initially) I’m HIGHLY doubtful that we will see any case changes. This is why Rolex has various other options across other lines....Sea Dweller, YachtMaster etc.

To me, this is a DateJust year. 75 years old.

Let’s just all keep in mind. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the current movement.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 03:42 AM   #47
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
Datejust had a change in 2016 with DJ41 replacing the DJII, adding the new 32xx movement at the same time.
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:01 PM   #48
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

I would never change or upgrade my submariner. I bought it new and have worn pretty much continuously for 6 years. The power reserve has never been an issue in that time because it’s never stopped.
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 01:27 AM   #49
HNS
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyvw View Post
Datejust had a change in 2016 with DJ41 replacing the DJII, adding the new 32xx movement at the same time.
So that pretty much solves the bugs issue. I guess that after 4 years they should have perfected that movement.

I doubt that the spare parts for the 3135 movement - in use since 1988 I presume - will be hard to find in the future, or are the experiences here different?

The 3235 has 90% new parts they claim, so they're not interchangeable for the most part.
HNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:00 PM   #50
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

The Yacht masters got the new 3235 movement whiteout being changed aesthetically.. We could also see just this update in the Submariner.
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:04 PM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I like the extra power reserve. Now is Friday pm, I just put my DJ away and switched to an explorer, I will pick up the DJ again on Monday morning and it will be just fine.
All Rolex watches have a little round thing called a crown, guess what it is designed to manually wind any watch when needed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:27 PM   #52
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All Rolex watches have a little round thing called a crown, guess what it is designed to manually wind any watch when needed.
He just says he prefers it, it gives him convenience not to wind it, what's wrong with that?

Instead you gotta reply with some snarky sarcastic response.

And you are a mod - shame.

Does being a mod give you the feeling of power so you can rag on anybody giving perfectly decent comments on a forum?
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:36 PM   #53
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I suspect there will be some “disappointed” folks come Basel when the Submariner gets no change or “update”.

Movement updates will happen eventually (agree likely PM - initially) I’m HIGHLY doubtful that we will see any case changes. This is why Rolex has various other options across other lines....Sea Dweller, YachtMaster etc.

To me, this is a DateJust year. 75 years old.

Let’s just all keep in mind. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the current movement.
Maybe the return of some limited production stone dials for the anniversary? That would be a cool dj move. Not holding my breath though.
Old 24 February 2020, 09:38 PM   #54
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Oh, by the way, I went back and read the last 2 years of threads on this issue. Everyone swore rolex would change the sub movement. And then they didn't.

Too funny.
Old 24 February 2020, 09:48 PM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolex View Post
He just says he prefers it, it gives him convenience not to wind it, what's wrong with that?

Instead you gotta reply with some snarky sarcastic response.

And you are a mod - shame.

Does being a mod give you the feeling of power so you can rag on anybody giving perfectly decent comments on a forum?
I read it differently than you, but perhaps that’s because I’ve come to know Peter’s sense of humor.

I think what he is saying is that the 31xx series movements are a proven workhorse movement and the extra power reserve (although nice for some) isn’t a big deal, when you can simply re-up the power with a simple wind.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:24 PM   #56
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
I would rather not have to get it out of the safe on a weekend. Not really that complicated to understand.
Old 24 February 2020, 10:42 PM   #57
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I would rather not have to get it out of the safe on a weekend. Not really that complicated to understand.
But if it did stop you would still have to wind it thats all I meant, which is quite possible especially if had a less active day and power-reserve was depleted off wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:44 PM   #58
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post

I would say that it would be logical that it will lose relative value unless Rolex increases the prices of the new model.
Why?

What is less desirable about the 3135 movement?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #59
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
But if it did stop you would still have to wind it thats all I meant, which is quite possible especially if had a less active day and power-reserve was depleted off wrist.
fair play, we're good. For me I would take a lug change on the sub way before a movement change. If it gets both then it it's a bonus.
Old 24 February 2020, 11:05 PM   #60
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
the sooner Rolex move away from the super case the better. Don't care about resale value or "we will appreciate it in the future" It is not a balanced design. Porsche 996 of the 911 range.
Couldn’t disagree more. I love he heft and wrist presence. The 5 digit case feels dainty to me
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote